PDA

View Full Version : Jerry's Artarama

*Marina*
06-14-2005, 05:07 PM
Has anybody got experience with Jerry's Artarama and shipping abroad?
I tried to order the roz box through them but they could not get authorization for a foreign but international credit card. Does any one know how reliable they are?

Khadres
06-14-2005, 05:25 PM
Well, they're usually pretty reliable here in the States...not sure about their record overseas, tho. Have you tried Dakota Pastels? They're somewhat smaller, but usually very reliable too. Also Dick Blick...I doubt an international order to them would phase them much. They're pretty experienced with just about everything.

artist_pw
06-14-2005, 06:18 PM
Hi:

I got one of their roz boxes on sale - the sale is on until June 30th, at it was around 3$39 us. You might try mailing in a check or money order if that's doable for you. I've ordered many things from Jerry's over the years, and most of the time, I get my shipments without any problems. Only once or twice have I placed an on-line order and not received something. One time, I also found out that one complete shipment went to a different address somewhere, which included a drafting table, so they had to reship. Anyway, hope this helps.

Bringer
06-14-2005, 06:36 PM
Hi,

I'm waiting for pastels from ASWexpress which seems to be related to Jerry's, at least when I look at the available products, it seems.
I had some minor «glitches», but promptly and honestly solved.
I don't know about the weight of the box, but I would be prepared to pay something between 20 to 30 Euro postage..
In USA the volume counts alot, while here in Portugal is more the weight.
Oposed to here in Europe, in USA there's alot of concorrence, so I believe Jerry's wont disregard the oportunity of gaining a potential buyer.

Regards,

José

HarvestMoon
06-14-2005, 08:26 PM
Inside the US, I have ordered many times- and only once had a major problem that they solved quickly at their expense. Once I had some open stock pastels which they did not resolve, but I emailed them about it not called. But out of all the times I have ordered they have been really very reliable, but charged more for shipping than most others- it is probably an honest price for shipping though- some of the others have to be losing money on shipping. I would think they would be very reliable shipping to overseas as well. BTW I have the Roz box, and it is worth every dime- or Euro!

sundiver
06-15-2005, 08:45 AM
I've ordered from them a few times (international but not overseas), no major problems , shipping was pretty high, and I used either Mastercard or Visa, maybe both at different times. They seemed a little helter-skelter, but I did get my stuff.

*Marina*
06-15-2005, 10:06 AM
Thanks a lot everybody for your quick replies. I think I will try to order through some relatives in the US and have my order shipped to Holland. From the sound of it Jerry's seems a reliable firm. I was just surprised they could not authorize my credit card which is Mastercard and should be accepted world wide. It made me wonder. Anyway once again thanks a lot. I am looking forward to the roz box.

Greetings Marina

Bringer
06-15-2005, 10:40 AM
Thanks a lot everybody for your quick replies. I think I will try to order through some relatives in the US and have my order shipped to Holland. From the sound of it Jerry's seems a reliable firm. I was just surprised they could not authorize my credit card which is Mastercard and should be accepted world wide. It made me wonder. Anyway once again thanks a lot. I am looking forward to the roz box.

Greetings Marina

Hi again,

If you ask relatives to send it to you, there's twice postage charge : from Jerry's to relatives and from relatives to you. Unless of course they go to the store. I don't know if the ONLINE PRICE is the same as the STORE PRICE.
It's strange they didn't accept the card. Did you try a buy through phone or online ? Did you entered the correct data ? check with your credit card company.

Regards,

José

Merethe T
06-15-2005, 02:33 PM
I've ordered a full set of Polychromos from Jerry's, and it arrived almost safe (a couple of the sticks broken), no problems at all. Shipping wasn't to bad, would have cost me twice as much if I'd bought the same set here in Norway, including shipping fee. It took six weeks from I placed the order until it arrived, far to much in my opinion - I've had other orders from USA with a much faster delivery. I've now placed an order at Dickblick's, very nice and friendly people, excellent service, seems like they are faster too as my supplys are on the way as we speak. They don't carry GA's though - Dakota's next.... :D

khourianya
06-15-2005, 02:56 PM
I've ordered from them a few times (international but not overseas), no major problems , shipping was pretty high, and I used either Mastercard or Visa, maybe both at different times. They seemed a little helter-skelter, but I did get my stuff.

This is good to know because there are a few things I've been tempted on recently...

Khadres
06-15-2005, 04:28 PM
I've ordered a full set of Polychromos from Jerry's, and it arrived almost safe (a couple of the sticks broken), no problems at all. Shipping wasn't to bad, would have cost me twice as much if I'd bought the same set here in Norway, including shipping fee. It took six weeks from I placed the order until it arrived, far to much in my opinion - I've had other orders from USA with a much faster delivery. I've now placed an order at Dickblick's, very nice and friendly people, excellent service, seems like they are faster too as my supplys are on the way as we speak. They don't carry GA's though - Dakota's next.... :D

I sure wish Blick would add GAs to their list of pastels! Can't imagine why they don't. But then they don't carry Mt. Visions either, I don't think...and how about Giraults? And no Ludwigs, either! What they offer is great, but they could definitely expand their brands on pastels!

*Marina*
06-15-2005, 05:14 PM
Just to let you know I have decided not to buy the roz pastel box. The shipping cost were very high, more than the price of the box. Unfortunately Dick Blick does not sell the box. I have to find a different solution. Maybe use Cori's ideas and make one myself.
Anyway once again thanks a lot for the different inputs.

Marina

Bringer
06-15-2005, 07:10 PM
Just to let you know I have decided not to buy the roz pastel box. The shipping cost were very high, more than the price of the box. Unfortunately Dick Blick does not sell the box. I have to find a different solution. Maybe use Cori's ideas and make one myself.
Anyway once again thanks a lot for the different inputs.

Marina

Hi again,

I know that the Roz box may be sturdy and take more pastels, but I have a Rembrandt wood box. I bought it here in Lisbon for about 25 Euro or something. Since Rembrandt is a dutch brand, I guess you could buy it cheap there. Mine takes 60 sticks.
I told you about shipping :rolleyes:
I sent for 80 half sticks from Sennelier and a 12 sheets pack of colourfix paper from US and I'm going to pay 32 dollars shipping. But even so, in this case it's worth it.

Regards,

José

artist_pw
06-15-2005, 08:45 PM
Hi:

Dick Blick sells Mary Cassatt pastel boxes. Check those out. I got the Roz box because I noticed it on sale, otherwise, I would have gotten one of the Mary Cassatt half-boxes. Also, if anyone is looking for an inexpensive tripod base, check out MicroCenter, which seems to very regularly have a nice digital camera tripod on sale for $6.99 or so and it seems like it's regularly something like $20 or so. I think at one of our MAPS meetings recently, it was mentioned that one of the plein air painter boxes would mount on a standard tripod. Hope this helps.

*Marina*
06-16-2005, 08:56 AM
Hi again,

Jose, I have got a Rembrandt pastel box for I think 150 pastels. I am not ever so pleased with it. And they are not ever so cheap. I think I paid 65 euro's for it. The Roz box just appealed to me and it seemed handy to have an extra box in which I can put a selection of pastels when I go to my art classes.

Paula, I had a look at the Dick Blick site. The Mary Cassatt box looks interesting but I suspect that the shipping costs on that will be high as well.

I think I will wait till some relatives come over to Europe again. Maybe they can bring me a box. In January they brought me a box of Sennelier pastels which were on special offer at that time.

I will keep my eyes open here in Holland as well. Maybe I will just find the type of box I am looking for.

In the mean time I will keep using my carton boxes of Rembrandt. It works but it is nog ideal.

Greetings

Marina

HarvestMoon
06-16-2005, 09:10 AM
The roz box is great for the bigger pastels, unison, mt. vision; I have 3 of them- and love them. They also sell them at Dakota's and Fine Art Store. Shipping in the US is not expensive for Dakota- but if they send by mail something heavy it is (fedex is not). Sooz, I have added comments to my order at dick blick that they should carry mt. visions, GA's, unisons, and giraults. they thanked me for the pastel imput as they were not sure what all brands were popular. Perhaps if more people made comments to them they would carry them.

*Marina*
06-24-2005, 01:52 PM
Just to let you know I made my own box with the ideas of Cori. Cori, thanks a lot. It cost me 20 dollars. Quite a difference with the roz box which would have been more than 80. This box seems to work. Now I can take a selection of pastels, pencils and pens to my classes.

Marina

Kathryn Wilson
06-24-2005, 02:15 PM
Here's a kicker - check out ASW's price for the Roz box - a full $5.00 less than Jerry's and they come out of the same warehouse. I ordered the Roz box from Jerry's without looking at the ASW site - sheesh.

*Marina*
06-24-2005, 02:33 PM
Kat,

Do you know whether ASW is expensive as far as shipping is concerned?

Marina

Kathryn Wilson
06-24-2005, 02:51 PM
I would think the shipping would be the same as they are both housed in the same warehouse here in Raleigh, but here is their web site link if you want to check into it -

http://www.aswexpress.com

*Marina*
06-24-2005, 02:56 PM
I had a look at their website. I don't want to get into the hazzle again which I had with Jerrys. It looks interesting though. Can you buy directly from the warehouse. If so, aren't you lucky.

Marina

Kathryn Wilson
06-24-2005, 06:00 PM
We actually have one of their stores in Raleigh too - what I did find out is that you have to order online to get the reduced prices, then go pick it up at the warehouse. What I am saving in shipping, I'd be willing to travel an hour or two.

What was the trouble you had with Jerry's?

*Marina*
06-24-2005, 06:18 PM
I tried to order the roz box. I tried to pay with mastercard. They had a problem with that. They could not get authorization. This is strange because I never had a problem ordering in the States. Then a relative who lives in the States ordered it for me and we would have it sent straight to Holland. The shipping costs were 42 dollars on top of the 7,5 dollars handling costs. I thought this was outrageous. That box cannot be that heavy. I had also ordered a Rotring pen. They could not send that in the same shipment. So another lot of shipping costs. I gave up and cancelled the order.
Instead I made my own box for about 20 dollars and bought the rotring pen over here.

I got a bit frustrated though and it has put me off ordering anything other than books or smaller items.

Greetings

Marina

Kathryn Wilson
06-24-2005, 06:37 PM
Good grief - that sounds outrageous. The Roz box is quite heavy - sturdy, but heavy. I doubt I will be doing much plein airing with it. When dealing with warehouse situations, it's hard to figure out what is going on - I do know that even though I picked my up, my order was in two boxes because the Roz box came from a different location.

I think you did a fantastic job on the box you made - and at a much better cost.

Khadres
06-24-2005, 06:47 PM
The roz box is great for the bigger pastels, unison, mt. vision; I have 3 of them- and love them. They also sell them at Dakota's and Fine Art Store. Shipping in the US is not expensive for Dakota- but if they send by mail something heavy it is (fedex is not). Sooz, I have added comments to my order at dick blick that they should carry mt. visions, GA's, unisons, and giraults. they thanked me for the pastel imput as they were not sure what all brands were popular. Perhaps if more people made comments to them they would carry them.

Well, Blick's does have Unisons, but none of the others. I've often wished they had GAs, tho. Shoulda mentioned that when I placed the order today....

HarvestMoon
06-25-2005, 08:48 PM
Maria, the box you made looks really great!!!

*Marina*
06-26-2005, 11:13 AM
Thanks Purple. It was nice to think it out and make it.

Marina