PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! repairing a cut linoleum block

bridog
06-14-2005, 12:45 PM
Hi Printers

I have another study underway (canoing theme again)
however, I decided to change some elements in the block while I was cutting it.
A decision was made to insert a new piece of lino into an area that was cleared of linoleum already. However this now presents me with a new problem.
When I pulled a rough print (water base blockprinting ink on newsprint) I noticed a line where the fit piece and old plate met. Is there some way I can remove this line? I am thinking some kind of filler would work, but it would have to hold ink of course and I would have to make it level with the surrounding linoleum.
I tried white carpenters glue once on an earlier block but it dried either too shallow or beaded up higher than the lino.
Has anyone ever tried wood filler? Would this compound work do you think?
Could lightly sand it to get it level. I think it might hold oil base ink which is what I intend to print the final version in.

I am attaching scans I took of the work from inseption to where it is at the moment. You will notice the linoleum block has changed significantly since the original sketch on the block. I decided to add a shoreline behind my canoer and have broken reflections in the water. The rough print was pressed by hand using back of a wooden spoon, so some areas in the rough didn't get good contact (and small piece of lino created circle with dot effect in canoe..good to find these things out now and repair them right?)
I have also included a close up of the area that needs the line repair.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

ps. I received word that my backordered Blick 902 Series Etching press is finally on it's way to me :clap:

Printmakerguy
06-14-2005, 02:26 PM
Unfortunatly, I cant offer any solution- I have never been able to repair a block with any sucsess... I usually try to re cut the area to kind of work the line into the print- Or trash it and start over, which would be a shame with this print, it is too nice...

-Andrew

TikiTorch
06-14-2005, 03:31 PM
I've never tried to repair a block by filling in either. I've usually cut away to try to remove the mistake.. but I have thought about filling in for repair. You could always transfer your current image to a new plate (block) and then you can cut a new one if your repairs are not satisfactory. Wood filler may work, or maybe some type of silicone or caulking, especially if you don't need to re-work the area with additional cutting. If you come up with anything let us know. Good luck!
Lee

zardoz
06-14-2005, 03:42 PM
I'm not sure if this will work but you could try a little wood glue mixed with fine sawdust . it should rectify the sinking of the glue somewhat and the wood fibers should hold ink well . I'm not big on the wood fillers . most seem to hgave a petroleum base. Like I said I don't know if this wil work but it is an idea and it can be lightly sanded

DLevy
06-14-2005, 04:34 PM
I've done it twice repairing small areas with fairly good results. The first time I used plastic glue -I'm not sure if this is the name by which it is known in the rest of the world but this is the cheap glue they use at kindergartens, it's white and when it dries it becomes fairly hard and translucent. What I did was to put a fair amount of it and let it dry for a day then I added more where it sank and waited for it to dry completely. After it dried I re cut the area just like with regular lino.
The second time I only wanted to fill a few cuts I made by mistake but didn't want to re cut the area so I used stuff called quick-plast which comes in the shape of plasticine and after you mix it well it will harden when dry. It is used to fix plastic parts, pvc etc. this material is difficult to cut once hard but you can easily file it down to keep the surface level.
In both cases it worked well, they both took the ink and you won't see it unless you look for it.
Hope this helps,

Good Luck

Danny

bridog
06-14-2005, 04:39 PM
thanks for the advice
I opted to try filling the narrow lines with a plastic wood filler in squeeze tube product I had in my workshop (light blonde tint)
this was recommended in the complete manual of relief printmaking book I have (it only works for small gaps, large gaps require whole new rectangles or squares of linoleum to be inserted)
I applied the compound with a toothpick and then let it dry then sanded with fine grit sandpaper
I believe that this product has some wood particle in it
not sure if this product is petroleum based (it didn't state on the label what the contents were derived from)
anyways will report my success or failure when I print a rough

Brian

bridog
06-17-2005, 12:28 AM
Well folks
the verdict is in
the wood filler product did not work well in this case (I noticed the ink came out darker where it sat on top of the dry & sanded filler compound)
so what I did was remove a larger section of linoleum where the changes were to be made, and then replaced it with a new piece of the same dimensions (to meet the edges where it would not be noticeable when printed)
the entire lino plate + new piece was glued onto a precut piece of smooth masonite (1/16 " thick) then clamped to allow it to set
I then cut linework into the new area and made my alteration
when I took a rough proof you couldn't even tell there was piecework in the print

I guess we learn more thru trial and error
will post new revised print soon

brian :wink2:

H2O_Baby
06-17-2005, 08:54 AM
Well folks
the verdict is in
the wood filler product did not work well in this case (I noticed the ink came out darker where it sat on top of the dry & sanded filler compound)
brian :wink2:

Brian - I was wondering if some kind of sealant would have worked to modify the surface absorption characteristics. Oh well. Will have to wait for another mistake/experiment to try this. Actually, I have a bunch of plates I don't like, maybe I shall try it..

bridog
06-17-2005, 12:26 PM
Here is a hand printed proof of the image as it stands now
you will notice the tree in the left corner was removed
left just a hint of branches at the top to help frame the image
My thought was another hint of tree silhouette shoreline somehow balances it better
removed a bit of water ripples in the lower left corner above the grassy silhouette to create a subtle shoreline
I also inserted a new piece of linoleum into section between canoer and shoreline on the right hand side, that was the area that the filler didn't work out
I wanted the emphasis to be more towards the canoer, that foreground tree was competative a bit I think
I may remove a tiny bit of black in the water immediately above the canoer's head (ripples cast as reflection from background shore on the left hand side)
the angle would become more fan shape leaning towards the left
forgive the spotted black ink, tried printing this by using hand pressure, didn't quite give me a solid black that I wanted, running thru a press should correct this
The final version of this new print is destined to become the very first image printed on my new Blik press which arrives tomorrow

Brian

Diane Cutter
06-17-2005, 01:31 PM
I think you did a great job on the repair...

Just a thought on the image... I don't think you need those branches in the upper left corner. I think the composition would be better with them gone. Also they have no reference point, much like the superfulous (spelling?) things that are captured in a photo but which an artist has the liberty of removing...

Just a thought...

Diane

bridog
06-17-2005, 02:22 PM
thanks Diane
giving a second look to the print re: your suggestions
sometimes other eyes see things I miss or would not have thought about
here was another thought
the possibility of adding in cloud formation in the background on another block
maybe in another colour and very faint
this might work even better possibly with the elimination of the upper left branches?

Brian

Diane Cutter
06-17-2005, 02:41 PM
It certainly seems to be worth the try. You can always just pull the single plate if you don't like it...

Diane

Printmakerguy
06-17-2005, 05:04 PM
This is a nice print.

On the branches- Perhaps you don't need them there, but I feel like there should be something there- rather than just empty white space- Seems like it would be distracting... Just my .02

-Andrew

H2O_Baby
06-18-2005, 08:16 AM
thanks Diane
giving a second look to the print re: your suggestions
sometimes other eyes see things I miss or would not have thought about
here was another thought
the possibility of adding in cloud formation in the background on another block
maybe in another colour and very faint
this might work even better possibly with the elimination of the upper left branches?

Brian

Good job Bri. I like the branches in the upper left & right corners. They frame the piece. you could test it by not inking them prior to deleting them.