PDA

View Full Version : Color Wheel For Pastels?

RUNEMASTER
06-13-2005, 11:34 PM
Im a newby who wants to learn about color meaning what color combinations are pleasing and in what ways. I have heard about the color wheel and was wondering if anyone can refer me to the right channels.I was even thinking of buying one , but do not know which one would be best.

Thanks.:envy:

Khadres
06-14-2005, 12:08 AM
Im a newby who wants to learn about color meaning what color combinations are pleasing and in what ways. I have heard about the color wheel and was wondering if anyone can refer me to the right channels.I was even thinking of buying one , but do not know which one would be best.

Thanks.:envy:

Welcome to the pastel forum! Are you entirely new to art or just to full color art? All the online art stores offer good color wheels...get one of a decent size; they're not expensive. For a beginner, probably the easiest and surest color scheme is that using analogous colors...colors next to each other on the color wheel. A good wheel will also show you how to mix various shades and blends of two or more colors and help you understand values...the lightness or darkness of a color.

There is also a Color Theory forum here on WC, altho from what I understand, it's a bit esoteric with lots of debate as to what's what. Probably the easiest way to learn color is to analyze paintings you see that you particularly like. Try to see what it is about the colors that pleases you and try your hand at painting or sketching something using those same colors.

To start your search for a color wheel, try http://www.dickblick.com

RUNEMASTER
06-14-2005, 12:32 AM
Great information.Yes im all around noob , but have some ideas.Thank you again. Some time this week ill begin making some pastel art.

Just getting it all together.:wave:

Khadres
06-14-2005, 12:57 AM
We'll be looking forward to seeing your work! Have fun!

HarvestMoon
06-14-2005, 09:03 AM
I have a 'watercolor' color wheel- is it the same for pastels?

Khadres
06-14-2005, 11:33 AM
I think yours should work, purples, for anything except that the color names/designations wouldn't be as useful across all media.

My favorite, most used wheel is here: http://www.dickblick.com/zz049/15/

khourianya
06-14-2005, 11:52 AM
The basic principle of all of the colour wheels should be the same. The color wheel co. makes a great assortment. I have both the artists wheel and the web wheel (the web wheel is a saviour when it comes to getting clients to pick out web safe colour schemes). They also make a great value finder.