PDA

View Full Version : Raphael Madonna

Mikey
06-13-2005, 03:11 PM
Oils on 16 x 12 inch canvas.

I treated myself to a linen canvas. It's nice to see the difference from the usual machine made look.

My next thing will be to draw the baby Jesus more accurately.

Mikey

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jun-2005/28043-Raphael_Madonna.jpg

Mikey
06-14-2005, 04:36 AM
The lighting is uneven in this photo. That white paint in her face isn't really that white.

Mikey

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2005/28043-Raphael_Madonna_2.jpg

laketrees
06-14-2005, 07:29 AM
Hi Mikey....looking good...interesting the way you do not use any lines...but rather block in ....totally the opposite to me...I start to stress if there aren't a million lines there even before I look at painting..... :D I think your method is worth trying out....I do love to experiment....and I would love to try out those new mediums you're using as well..(when I get back to the oils of course..... :rolleyes: )
cheers kim
ps lucky you...... :envy: painting on linen...love to try that out one day too....I hear that linen is great to paint on.....

Anita Murphy
06-14-2005, 07:55 AM
So what do you think of the linen canvas? Lucky you!
I love the Madonna already!

Mikey
06-14-2005, 08:34 AM
Hi Kim and Anita, the medium is truly useful, but not when I mix Ultramarine and Burnt Sienna, then try painting over it with the same the next day. In the future I'll use the same mix with turps first and let it dry, before using the medium. However, I can paint in lighter colours to the black quite well at that stage. It does suit alla prima best.

I'm enjoying the paint and it's going nicely as I begin to put colour in. I'm trying my new Naples Genuine Deep.

The linen immediately has that homespun look, which is nice. The flecks seem to be enlarged by the gesso and it didn't look all that fine grain, but in practise it is working well. It is obvious that the maker has taken that much more trouble to make it a quality product. I'd now use linen all the time if I were loaded, but then if I were selling and at the right price this canvas was £8 UK 16 x 12 inches. A professional cotton canvas would be £4.30 UK.

Mikey

Mikey
06-14-2005, 11:32 AM
OK I've been lazy today

Mikey

Gilberte
06-14-2005, 01:57 PM
Looks good to me Mikey. I'm no good at judging or commenting on Old Masters' copies but you're doing great.

Mikey
06-14-2005, 04:25 PM
Thanks Gilberte. I am enjoying Raphael as much as the paint,understanding more of what made for his genius.

Mikey

laketrees
06-15-2005, 06:14 AM
Like the harmony of colour so far Mikey....wow double the price for linen.....that probably means you can charge double the price.......for the finished work..... :D...especially a Raphael...... :eek:
cheers kim

Mikey
06-15-2005, 07:14 AM
Thanks Kim. I'm working on the baby's head today. I'm doing it in faaairly short bursts, then taking a break. The head is about 2 1/2 inches high and takes a bit of concentration.

Mikey

Mikey
06-15-2005, 12:32 PM
This isn't much like a Raphael and I just haven't got that look on the baby's face. The close-up is way bigger than actual size as you'll see from the canvas grain. I'll fix the mouth, but the eyes, well I'm not sure I can.

Original 55 x 40 cm and so a little bigger than this 40 x 30 cm.

Mikey

I don't seem able to point you directly there, but you can click R then Raphael, then his early works in 1503. He must only have been twenty when he painted this.

http://www.wga.hu/index1.html

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2005/28043-Raphael_Madonna_4_cu.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2005/28043-Raphael_Madonna_4.jpg

Spyderbabe
06-15-2005, 04:07 PM
Looking good Mikey!

Mikey
06-15-2005, 04:24 PM
Thanks Kathleen.

I may be able to get a show somewhere else, not an actual gallery but a place where the right kind of people go. So it's looking as if I've got to do a small body of work like my show favourite of the eurasian girl.

Mikey

A Few Pigments
06-15-2005, 05:05 PM
Hi Mikey, jolly good work here. I donít know how you do these. So far my Mona Lisa looks more like Alfred E. Newman then Lisa. Someday I really should learn how to draw. Or may be I could just do portraits of Alfred E. Newman. Itís a thought.

Mikey
06-15-2005, 05:48 PM
I donít know how you do these.

Bruce, since we can't talk about religion, politics, or art lets make it amateur psychology, because I've given some thought to it. To do our best we have to bring all of ourselves in tune to the point where we can focus everything through that brush. If we try to do that at the time of painting it's a self defeating excercise. I'm not too sure what I mean because if I say that all internal conflicts must be resolved then that means a lot of very talented artists wouldn't count. I mean just how many artists are plain neurotic? Or how many are not? Anyway for me it means finding a place within myself where I have peace. At a very practical level that means keeping short accounts, not putting things off or holding grievances and such like, things that have nothing at all to do with painting. That means I can concentrate fully on the painting and flow with the paint naturally without a struggle. I don't always get there, but those are the times when I really enjoy painting most.

Mikey

A Few Pigments
06-16-2005, 12:14 AM
Mikey, in the book Picassoís second wife wrote, she tells a story of one day walking into Picassoís studio to talk to him. When she tries to talk to him he doesnít hear her. She yells and he doesnít hear her. She bangs pots and pans and he doesnít hear her.

Charles SchulzĎs wife said she never had to wonder what he was thinking about because she knew he was always thinking about the comicstrip.

I agree with you about keeping the focus on art, and about letting other things go that could distract us from our art, butÖIíve heard people say so many times ĒI have a pencil and paper, but I donít know what to drawĒ. If they found something that inspires them to draw, and then got the pencil and paper they wouldnít have to wonder about what to draw. Iíve been thinking a lot about why I want to do this crazy thing called painting. So far wanting to paint has come before the inspiration. I kept thinking once I find something that really inspires me I wonít have to wonder why I want to paint Iíll paint because Iím inspired to paint.

Then I though ďI really am the dumbest, most stupid thing that ever lived. Itís not a subject that inspires, that drives people to paint for 10 to 12 hours a day 7 days a week. They do it because the process its self is what they live for. Itís the shapes and colours and feel of the brush gliding over the canvas creating an image. Itís taking anything in the world, no matter what it is and making it a work of art. Thatís where the heart and soul of an artist lives. And when an artist lives there nothing else in the world can bother him.

Then I thought, ďIf a painting is a poem then does that make a doodle a dandyĒ? And if it does then would a doodle by an American artist be a Yankee Doodle dandy? I donít think I really have what it takes to be an artist. One needs a mind to be an artist.

laketrees
06-16-2005, 09:11 AM
The baby's head has shaped up well...Mikey......some great quotes and thoughts on painting guys........ :clap:
cheers kim

Mikey
06-16-2005, 11:06 AM
Bruce, yes I agree artists need to have good minds and you have a marvelous one. However, we do need to our thinking first and let go of the mindyness when we paint so the creative self can work through the brush.

Thanks Kim. It stretching and squeezing me past my limts. Must be good.

Mikey

A Few Pigments
06-16-2005, 03:37 PM
Mikey, thanks for the kind words about my mind, but Iíve always said of all the things Iíve lost I miss my mind the most. I agree about letting go of the mindyness. I think the Buddha had it right when he said evil is the ego. I donít mind loosing my ego but Iíd never let go a me Eggoís.

Hi Kim, yes I have deep thoughts about art. Now if I knew how to do it I guess Iíd be all set.

Mikey
06-18-2005, 03:09 AM
It's coming together now. Just paint with a little turps at the moment.

Mikey

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jun-2005/28043-Raphael_Madonna_5.jpg

laketrees
06-18-2005, 04:38 AM
Yesss Mikey...really coming together....exciting...see the steps..the hands look great.... :envy: .....might borrow your background from this stage ...think it might suit my mural....just what I was looking for....... :)

hey Bruce...you have to have the deep thoughts to be an artist... :D

Mikey
06-18-2005, 05:01 AM
Thanks Kim. Sorry you have a cold. I'm generally pleased with this one so far, although the bab seems to be staring into space, not looking at his Mum.

Mikey

Gilberte
06-18-2005, 02:52 PM
Yes Mikey ! yes ... yes ... yes !

Mikey
06-18-2005, 03:09 PM
Many thanks Gilberte. This one is intense when I work at it, but I'm enjoying it anyway.

Mikey

Mikey
06-20-2005, 03:28 PM
There's a long way to go yet.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jun-2005/28043-Raphael_Madonna_6.jpg

laketrees
06-21-2005, 12:58 AM
Hi Mikey.....this is looking fantastic.....Her hands almost look like the hands Picasso used to paint (blue period)....good structure and shadow...love that background even more..... :evil:
this cold has kept me at home today...dosed up on cold tablets..... :D ...the garlic didn't work this time.... :(
cheers kim

Anita Murphy
06-21-2005, 06:02 AM
Mikey this is just wonderful! Nothing else to say!

Mikey
06-21-2005, 07:11 AM
Many thanks Kim and Anita.

Now how's this for a strange but true story. It happened ten minutes ago and I'm still recovering from the surprise. :D I've never met the poor old guy who lives blow me before now, but today out he pops as I come in, "Are you the artist?" I want you to look at this painting I bought. I have to say I'm sorry but this is a print. Wanting to be neighbourly I say just a mo I'll show you a real painting for you to see the difference. I take down a landscape on 24 x 18 inch canvas board, one of my painting class efforts. He says how much do you want for it. I replied he shouldn't even ask, it would be too much. So he keeps on pushing asking how much I want, so I say £150, but people don't have the money do they. He says look I'll give you a Ton without a frame and pulls 5 twenties out of his wallet. That's my trouble, I just can't say no. :D

Yeh, the Raphael is coming on slowly.

Mikey

Mikey
06-21-2005, 12:44 PM
A little bit more.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jun-2005/28043-Raphael_Madonna_7.jpg

Gilberte
06-21-2005, 01:16 PM
Hey Mikey,
So you now have more space in your studio (lol) and if ever you were a boy scout you did your daily good turn ...
Your Madonna is coming along nicely !

laketrees
06-22-2005, 02:34 AM
Hi Mikey.....heartwarming story......sometimes it's hard to put a price on your work when you know...its going to be valued...as something special ....despite the dollars...... :) :)
the painting is looking wonderful....... :clap:
cheers kim

Mikey
06-22-2005, 06:27 AM
Thanks Kim. The poor old guy seems to sit in his chair most of the day and doesn't spend much money. I'll let this one dry a bit now.

Mikey

Mikey
07-25-2005, 10:35 AM
This painting has been nagging me constantly, so here's another go towards completion. I seems like one of those push my limits paintings with those tiny hands.

Mikey

laketrees
07-26-2005, 05:58 AM
Hi Mikey...very tiny hand but the modelling looks good to me...the baby's left leg looks a little out of proportion to the right?.....round the knee area?
:wave: ..kim

Mikey
07-26-2005, 07:59 AM
Can you imagine how much trouble that knee has given me this far. You'd think I'd be over growing pains at my age, but never mind new strength is there for me every day. It's a rare satisfaction to know that I'm still growing. I've put this one off, because it has been hard, but there just isn't an easier way. If only I'd done that when I was young.

Mikey

Tallkitten
07-26-2005, 07:25 PM
Mikey this is Awesome !

Just now found this. Wonderful Talent !
Realism is what I like, Hope I get there.
Keep up the wonderful artwork!

TK

Mikey
07-27-2005, 07:16 AM
Many thanks Tk. Reproducing paintings like this may not exactly help my creativity, but I do find when I return to my own work there is a new confidence and more accuracy with the brush. There is also a way in which I hope to find something of the artist's vision.

Mikey

Gilberte
07-27-2005, 08:26 AM
Hi Mikey,

This is just good, good work and as long as you learn from it's perfect for me, although within I'm convinced that you now can sing your own voice, your Eastern portraits have proved it.
I'm vacationing at home being lazy, reading, cycling etc. etc. spending less time at the computer ... for the moment. If you have new projects, Wips, just let me know and I'll drop by !
Cheerio !

Mikey
07-27-2005, 08:31 AM
Thanks for all of your encouragement Gilberte. I'm hoping to post my latest portrait of Hui later on the main OCF later today if I can get it finished.

Mikey