PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble June 13 Thru 19

K Taylor-Green
06-13-2005, 11:04 AM
Hi everyone!! Welcome to our weekly chat thread! This is our place to exchange
news of a more personal nature, our jobs, families, kids, and pets. So come on in and visit!

Had a pretty busy weekend. We are getting ready for the birth of our foal. Poor Phaedra looks ready to pop! Come to think of it, so does my step daughter. :eek: Our third grandchild of the year is due the same day as the foal! What a race that will be!

If you get a chance, check out our Top Ten Studio Necessities thread. Lots of interesting stuff in there!

khourianya
06-13-2005, 12:18 PM
I am so not drinking the water around your place, Kate! :eek: It seems that everyone who does, ends up pregnant!

This week promises to be a bit nutsoid at work. I now have to attend a conference early next week and that means some last minute scrambling for travel and accomodations plans. Oh - and the permanent posting for my position has finally been posted so I have to put together a great application for it before Thursday. Now I guess Ijust have to hold off on getting sick until after we move. I have been feeling progressively worse for a couple of weeks now and I am just waiting for that morning I wake up and can't lift myself out of bed because I am so sick! Meanwhile - C's and zinc should hold it at bay.

This conference next week is going to be neat. And it is relatively close to the art store where I can get full sheets of colourfix for cheap so I might as well take the time to stock up! :D I am so not allowed to travel anymore this year.

Deborah Secor
06-13-2005, 12:59 PM
Kate, hope the birthings go well and easily for all and sundry!

Cori--feeling sick, are you? Hope it isn't the WATER! :wink2:

I've finally gotten some news from my son in Macedonia. Things are going great there. <whew!> He's the worship leader for the team and apparently they were asked to perform at the the local cultural center but they want EVERYBODY on the team to get up on stage and sing... so they've gained a reluctant choir. Trust me, there are three of them who sing, and nine who DON'T, soooooo... I hope they are poised and gracious, and not too far out of tune! :eek:

I've got to get to my studio and clean it, plus do a bunch of PJ stuff today. I was hoping to get ahead in my writing and maybe make a dent in the housework this week, but I just seem to get behinder, as they say! :mad: <shrug>

Deborah

K Taylor-Green
06-13-2005, 01:05 PM
LOL Cori, long as it's not me!!! I think I would shoot someone.
What are you staving off? Allergies? I've been fighting allergies. Been sick off and on since last fall! I get better, then worse. I had a real nasty attack right after my daughter had her little boy. Went back to the dr. last Tuesday, got tons more medicine. He says if this doesn't knock it, he is sending me to an allergist. I have never had such a miserable year.
So, take care.

khourianya
06-13-2005, 01:39 PM
I think it's the cold that has been circulating around our office...allergies haven't been too bad this year (they usually start in April and go to September with me). I think the rain has been washing away all of the allergens. Of course, once it ends, there will likely be moulds to contend with.

Muffin_4377
06-13-2005, 02:55 PM
Hi ladies :)

Kate ...I'll take a bottle of that water!!! Been trying for a couple yrs for a second one.....and my "age gap allowance" between kids is running out. :( Hope all your upcoming births be wonderous and uneventful.

Well we are finally getting some rain.....thank goodness, we really need it. Nothing worse then a fire ban during camping season! :eek:

Cori stay dry!! you must have tons of moisture in the air down there right now, and damp cool air has got to be the worst for bringing out colds....well at least in this part of the province, we are so used to hot dry weather this time of year.

Here's some pics I got in an email today of the weather last week in southern Alberta.....AMAZING PHOTOS.

Khadres
06-13-2005, 02:58 PM
Whoa! Those are awesome storm clouds, Dania!! If one tried to paint them, no one would believe them real!a

Deborah Secor
06-13-2005, 03:03 PM
Yikes--wall cloud supreme there! What a classic twister! And the COLORS!!! Wow!

Deborah

Mikki Petersen
06-13-2005, 04:37 PM
Birthing is a real pattern in your life of late Kate...when will you get to paint again with all these babies????

Cori, so sorry you are fighting off a cold. With the wierd Spring we've all been experiencing, I'm surprised we all aren't down with something. My allergies have been having a field day this year. Yesterday, I had to flee a meeting because I had a sneeze attach that just would not stop...soon as I was outside it subsided...so had to be something in that room. Nothing is more disruptive though than sneezing! Anyway, hope the C and zinc keep you on your feet for all the things on your agenda.

Dania, those are definitely run-for-cover clouds. Wow! We've seen some pretty strange ones off and on this year (tornadoes are not normal occurrances in California) but nothing of that intensity. Those look like nature in a REALLY bad mood!

Well, I'm a semi-normal person again (never having been normal in my life) and back to normal humbling household chores. Deborah, I can really relate to the delimma of the housework. I have such a tiny house, it would seem like keeping it should be nothing at all. HA! Just laundry keeps me busy forever...then there's hand-washing dishes...that follows every meal that gets cooked...I've been telling myself that I must get under our bed and dust because I have been having serious allergy attacks every night...but night comes around again and it isn't done. Thank heavens John takes care of outside chores! Mostly, I put together to-do lists, get depressed and go paint to console myself. I'm grateful to live in an area where neighbors don't drop by unexpectedly.

Happy Painting!
Mikki

khourianya
06-13-2005, 06:13 PM
It really has been a weird spring...so much water is strange for here and I imagine the added humidy in my lungs is probably adding to the feeling of coming down with a cold. I have been struggling through an asthma attack for the past 4 hours and cannot pinpoint the trigger. Everytime I cough, my office mates keep saying they are going to take up a collection for new lungs for me! :D Just a weird weird season this year.

Khadres
06-13-2005, 07:14 PM
Keep your inhaler handy, Cori! It's so weird...DRY air triggers my asthma rather than vice versa. I guess about half asthma sufferers are like that and the other half respond negatively to humidity. Just goes to show...

khourianya
06-13-2005, 08:56 PM
handy, it always is. Calgary is weird weatherwise, most of the time so I am accustommed.

So today I spent the majority of the day making travel arrangements for this conference I am going to next week. I swear, this trip is taking more indepth planning than my trip to toronto did...and this one is just a 3 hour drive away to Edmonton. The main issue is that i have to book a hotel and arrange for ground transportation and so on. The toronto trip was just book a flight, pack and stay with Ed. Oh - and eat hot dogs for a week.

Khadres
06-13-2005, 10:13 PM
ACK! Hot dogs for a week???? Is that for Edmonton or Toronto? (indelicate belching sound here!)

khourianya
06-13-2005, 10:17 PM
lol..Toronto. I could get veggie dogs there (I don't eat beef or pork). I didn't really eat them all week, but I did enjoy a fair few. here in Alberta Beef country, you can't buy a veggie dog from a stand. In Edmonton, I imagine I'll be eating real meals...after all, they are paid for by the school! :D

Muffin_4377
06-13-2005, 10:39 PM
WHAT!!! :eek: An Albertan who does eat BEEF!!! AND A CALGARIAN TO BOOT!! :eek: :eek:

What is this world coming too?!!! Hang your head in shame, girl!!! :evil:

....TOTALLY JOKING OF COURSE!!!! :D :p

* I kinda wonder though......do people try to stone ya when you go out in public? :p

Khadres
06-13-2005, 10:40 PM
DOUBLE ACKKKKKKKKK! VEGGIE DOGS???? OMG, that's just ...just ...ACKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!

Deborah Secor
06-13-2005, 10:50 PM
<giggle> What is wrong with veggie dogs? I mean, can't be much worse than what's in the 'beef, chicken and pork' kind --probably better! But let's not go there. I had two corndogs for dinner. Hey--it's food.

Deborah

Khadres
06-13-2005, 11:01 PM
I dunno...I just always figured if I was gonna do the vegetarian thing I'd steer clear of the pseudo meat not just on principal but also because all of it I've tasted was AWFUL!!! We don't eat nearly as much meat as we used to for several good reasons, but when I want meat I want the real deal, be it chicken, beef, pork or fish. But then I hate eggplant too, so....it's just my own personal weirdness.

K Taylor-Green
06-13-2005, 11:12 PM
Mikki, I have a tiny cottage, too. Never seems to be enough space for anything.
We love it here though. The outdoors more than makes up for the indoors.

OK. I couldn't resist. Here is really pregnant! My Phaedra, soon to drop her foal. She shifts her weight back and forth, from hip to hip, trying to get comfortable. And no one to complain to, poor baby.

Wow! awesome storm photos! Talk about Mother Nature in a snit!

khourianya
06-13-2005, 11:15 PM
lol - such a reaction! I was vegetarian for almost 7 years. The only animal products I ate were eggs and milk...and the occasional gummy bear (yes, boys and girls, gelatin is an animal product too). I did it for profoundly personal reasons relating to my career working in a funeral home (I won't go into detail..let's just say that beef resembles more than just the inside of a cow). My grandparents took it the hardest (they are beef farmers) but the understod that it wasn't an animal rights thing and wasn't a slap in the face at them (and, no, it wasn't what killed my grandpa - that was cancer) :p

About a year ago, I added fish and chicken back into my diet to see if it might help to combat some serious chest infections I was having. It seems to be doing the trick, since I've only had one since (and i used to get 5-6 a year). I still can't get over visual associations with the beef, and pork was never that big of an appeal to me (except bacon...but I don't need that fat in my body).

Dania - you're funny. I don't get stoned in public - ridiculed sometimes and a few strange looks...but once people get to know me and they kow that I am far from normal anyway - they just accept it. I'm used to bringing my own food to barbeques and my close friends go out to steakhouses without me and have come to appreciate a good vegetarian meal once in a while.

On the pseudo meat front. I've had alot of really bad veggie "meat" and some absolutely incredible veggie "meat". Veggie dogs are good, but only if they are grilled with barbeque sauce. And they are indubidubly better for you than what Cam calls the "lips and @$$-hole dogs" :D Of course - not for everyone...but worth a try nonetheless. And there are a few canadian companies that make veggie "chicken" burgers that are probably alot better for you than what McD's makes (and taste better too).

khourianya
06-13-2005, 11:28 PM
okay - and how the heck did i miss those photos? That is up by where my parents live!!!! Incredible. They would be amazing to paint. I wonder if my dad happened to take any he might let me use... :D

Piper Ballou
06-13-2005, 11:48 PM
Hi gang,
Just checking in really quick. I am taking a class this week and have homework..boo hoo. I forgot I am not really a very good student, I talk to much, get restless and ask questions that drive the teacher crazy.....no wonder I am a teacher of these type of students...
piper

Mikki Petersen
06-14-2005, 12:45 AM
Piper...takes one to know one! That's probably why you are a very EFFECTIVE teacher to troubled students. You just had more opportunities to learn how to contol the urges.

Cori, I'm not a vegetarian, but as I get older, I tend to avoid hoofed meats more and more. I think maybe all the antibiotics in them are a problem for me since I'm allergic to most antibiotics. Anyway, I can certainly attest that there are great meat-substitute products on the market now...just think how good a vegeburger is folks. Actually more tasty than your basic cow pattie.

Doesn't your department have a secretary...oops...admin asst to make the arrangements, Cori? I never had to do that stuff.

Mikki

khourianya
06-14-2005, 10:50 AM
lol...our admin assistant is a bit loopy most days...really nice lady, just a bit scatterbrained. She is actually away this week to tend to her basement after all of the flooding. The person covering for her is goign to arrange my transportation, but our school works on a reimbursement basis so I have to do everything else (meals and accomodation). I would have much rathered they book and pay for everything and I just have to show up.

Deborah Secor
06-14-2005, 11:59 AM
Oh, Kate--I hope that mare goes soon!!! She just has to be ready any moment, poor thing... What are you hoping for, a filly or colt??? Or do you care?

I've never been a 'real' vegetarian, I just played at it in the 70s, to be one of the crowd in California. My best diet alternative seems to be eating 'good' carbs, avoiding too much sugar, and sticking to white meats and lotsa salads. I haven't done milk in about six years and feel FAR better for it.

Piper, I love it. Teaching out of our experience is what it's all about! I can't sit still in a class either. I drive anyone who's demonstrating to distraction, I think. So I sit in the back and wander around... it's part of the reason I don't demo for hours on end in my own classes. Whenever I watch a demo I just get to the point where I wanta go DO IT, and I figure those watching me feel the same.

Okay, gotta go do that cleaning I meant to do yesterday! LOL This time I mean it. Yeah. Right.

Deborah

Mikki Petersen
06-14-2005, 02:34 PM
OMG Kate! Look at that poor girl's furrowed brow! I looked like that when my first daughter was a month late. :( Sure hope labor begins soon! and that all goes well for her.

Mikki

K Taylor-Green
06-14-2005, 10:12 PM
She is due to foal the 21st. I'm betting on the 22nd, the full moon. I'd really like a filly, but since this mare's last two foals died, both due to bad luck and not ill health, I'll settle for breathing! Her last one was breach, and they couldn't save it.
I've been doing some research on Palamino coloration. The odds are that the foal will be a buckskin, because the mare is a Palamino, and the sire is black. And with the sire being a full blooded Arab, I can register the foal as a Half-Arab. The Arabian Horse Association is the only registry that allows this type of registration. If you breed any two breeds, pure breds on each side, you get un-registered mixed foals.
Probably more info than you guys wanted! As you can tell, I'm excited!

Piper Ballou
06-14-2005, 10:21 PM
Kate, being the city girl I am, one of my students told me that foals are born only in the night? is that true? one of his horses was due, and everyday he would say, it might be tonight, he might have been pulling my leg.

Well, the class was much better today, we were up and moving more which helped me. and I am glad I took it, it is about creating a learning environment, some of the things I was already doing but learned some new tricks too. Tomorrow we are going on a field trip to the sewer ponds...should be interesting...LOL
well, I have homework again...
I am happy to check in and stay caught up with everyone, not sure I say this enough, but you all are such a great group, thank you for letting me part of this.
piper

Deborah Secor
06-14-2005, 11:48 PM
Kate, my best-ever mare was a half-Ab. Bree was actually 3/4 Appaloosa and 1/4 Arab. I loved that mare! We did hours and miles all over the Sandia mountains for a lotta years, then cruised the ditchbanks along the Rio Grande for a few more. Those were good days...

I love buckskins!! Hope you get a pretty little buckskin filly, alive and kicking--but we'll settle for alive and kicking, no matter what!

Deborah

Khadres
06-14-2005, 11:54 PM
Kate, I hope your mare has a happy, healthy baby this time with NO problems! She's had her share of bad luck! I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed!

Mikki Petersen
06-15-2005, 02:44 AM
No wonder that poor gal has such a worried face...she's going through all this discomfort and has yet to get anything out of it! Corssing my fingers this time it's a live birth and a healthy foal.

Mikki

K Taylor-Green
06-15-2005, 01:00 PM
Awww, you guys are sooooo sweet!

Piper, It isn't a rule or anything, but it does seem as though most foals, like babies, arrive at night!

Deborah, From your mouth to God's ear. But I will be grateful for alive and kicking.
My riding horse is an Arab. Actually, they are my favorite breed, but I love all horses.
My sister had a beautiful Appaloosa at one time. But she was a *****, with a capitol
"B"!!! Her name was Satin, like the shiny fabric? Personally, I thought they spelled it wrong and pronounced it wrong!!

Deborah Secor
06-15-2005, 04:51 PM
Mmmm, the Appy part was not my favorite. They can be so headstrong. Bree was known to put her head down, crack her back and leave me in the dust from time to time, only when I was bareback, of course. Then she would stop and come back to me, as if asking why I got off????? She could go all day, in her prime. She finally developed a sweat patch on a shoulder and her arthritis made her a pretty iffy ride.

I bred her several times, and she settled once but lost it early on. In the end it was better not to have her foal, I think, but it was hard at the time.

I'll keep your mare in my prayers, of course!! :)

Deborah

Piper Ballou
06-16-2005, 12:56 AM
A couple of weeks ago I mentioned that I was asked to go to a different school to set up an Alternative program there...well, I decided to stay at the school I am at. I know what I have there and what I can expect, and this summer I want to paint, paint, paint and could not relax enough to do so if I had starting at a new school in the fall.

also, Tomorrow is day four of a week long class I am taking I have had homework everynight so tonight I decided not to do my homework tonight and paint...and by golly, it feels so good :D tomorrow I will just wing it and do it with a happy heart.

piper

Mikki Petersen
06-16-2005, 04:12 AM
The best part of what I read from you Piper is that you are happy with your decisions and that's all that really matters in the end. Enjoy your summer, Lady, you deserve it.

Mikki

Piper Ballou
06-16-2005, 10:30 AM
Mikki-You are right, happiness and peace of mind is what is important. And that is how I feel about the decision to stay at the school. besides, the grass is not always greener, wait...... we do not have grass here, let me give you an Arizona saying, the sun is not brighter on the other side of the valley :o

And I will have to tell you...it feels sooooooo good to be naughty and not do my homework from yesterday's class :evil: I will post my little painting from last night in the monthy goal thread later today.
Have a good day.
piper

khourianya
06-16-2005, 11:21 AM
Well, with just over a week until the big move...I have managed to sprain my ankle. Arrrgghhh! I was out taking Abner for his before bedtime walk and we have this little thing we do - we start out walking slowly along the front lawn of the complex and then we run back to our unit as fast as we can. Last night we ended up heading out a littlebit later than usual and it was just slightly darker. We did our little walk and then turned around to run...and I didn't see the slight dip in the lawn. I felt one side my ankle snap and then I suddenly stopped, but Abner didn't. Needless to say, he didn't understand why I would be stopping when we were on our run. So he kept pulling and I have now got one hell of a sore ankle. I don't think it's broken, but I will be keeping an eye on it over the next day or so. I just hope it heals up enough before next Saturday!

I think I ifnally have everything in order for me to go on this conference next week. As excited as I am at the prospect, I think I am more excited at the fact that I will be just a few blocks from one of my favorite art stores in Edmonton! I should so not be allowed to travel!

Khadres
06-16-2005, 12:19 PM
Awww, Cori, you klutz...you sound just like ME! :eek: Be real sure that's not a BROKEN ankle...if you heard a noise, it may well be fractured! Reminds me of when I missed the bottom step here and twisted sideways into the kitchen floor...heard this horrible SNAP...sure enough, tibia broken just below the knee like an old chicken bone! But at least that heals fairly easily...ankles can be a real problem! When is it you're supposed to travel?

khourianya
06-16-2005, 01:15 PM
Yep - klutz is about accurate. I have the coordination of a bowl of jello. It was more a felt snap than an audible one (though I have terrible hearing so who knows) . I am leaving Calgary at about noon on Sunday so this is bad timing. I am hoping I have leg room on that bus!

Muffin_4377
06-16-2005, 01:38 PM
Which art store, Cori? Colours? The only two I manage to hit in the city is Micheals and the Paint Spot. Prentice doesn't even want to tell me if he has to Edmonton on business anymore, cause he knows he's gonna be getting a list! MAn I don't even have to be there, and I still manage drop a couple hundred bucks! Oh well .....At least you won't have to hobble too far.

And think of this...........If your still in pain while moving, you automatically get promoted to "supervisor" for the move. :evil: :D

khourianya
06-16-2005, 01:47 PM
supervisor...lol :D

It's Paint Spot! I love that place! And it is the only place I can find "locally" (meaning alberta) that sells full sheet colourfix (now if I can convince them to start stocking the pastels too - we'll be set). Their prices aren't horrible either, compared to some I've seen so it should be fun. The only issue is that my conference sessions run until 4pm and they are only open til 6!!! Oh well - I'm there for 3 days :evil: I can go more than once! I had fun there at Christmas so I am sure I'll have even more fun when Cam isn't there to supervise!

We have 2 Colours stores down here and I don't really like them so I can't see myself visiting them.

Muffin_4377
06-16-2005, 02:03 PM
Ya it's my fav stop too......I LOVE the open stock!! I would like to see a mid soft pastel, like Rembrandts or W&N, in open stock there, then I would really be happy.
You can get Wallis there (although last time I was there in April, they were out.....but wasn't everybody), you can even order rolls of it, if you don't mind taking out a small loan to afford it :rolleyes:. I personally have been working on Colourfix too, and I am pretty happy with it.

khourianya
06-16-2005, 02:09 PM
I can get Wallis down here for the same price, but colourfix is th eelusive one. I have a workshop at the end of September with Alan Flattmann (in Canmore) and need to stock up.

Mikki Petersen
06-16-2005, 02:21 PM
Piper, the phrase that comes to my mind on that score is "Better the devil you know than one you don't". Have a terrific summer!

Oh Cori...Mama Mikki Here...Go get that ankle checked out, today, before you make the injury worse. Soft tissue injuries are harder to fix than breaks and can plague you for the rest of your life if not treated correctly. I did a similar injury, same snap, about 8 years ago. Shrugged it off for a few days until it became obvious it wasn't going to resolve. Long story short...two years of various casts and supports and three surgeries later, it still does not work right. All the docs say, better to break a bone, it's easier to fix. Go to the doctor.

On the bright side, the timing was perfect in my estimation. You certainly can't be expected to lift and carry if your crippled.

Mikki

CM Neidhofer
06-16-2005, 03:20 PM
Hi everyone! Got in from my vacation in Michigan yesterday. I was in northern Michigan, so took the long way home...across the Mackinaw Bridge, across the UP, down into Wisconsin, across Wisconsin, Minnesota and South Dakota. South from South Dakota to Nebraska and then on into Colorado. Another part of the country I've never seen until now! SD is just beautiful. I wish I'd had another couple of days. I was so close to the Badlands and Mt. Rushmore. I think I'm going to take a long weekend later this summer and go up there to see them. Caught up with a lot of old friends I went to grade school and high school with. Had a long chat with my seventh/eighth grade teacher! Then spent the last weekend with my cousin in northern Michigan. We went to Mackinaw Island on Saturday. I hadn't been there since I was a teenager. The whole day was her treat! Had a lot of fun and relaxation. Not to mention sun and wind burn! lol Have some pics I'll post later. Back to work tonight and it's bed time now. :wave:

Christine

Mikki Petersen
06-16-2005, 10:39 PM
Christine, It sounds like you had a very nice vacation trip. Do you find that no matter how nice the trip is, it's always so good to get home? Looking forward to your pictures.

Mikki

K Taylor-Green
06-17-2005, 12:03 AM
Sounds like a great vacation, Christy! I wouldn't know any of my high schoolmates if I ran into one! Been that long, and the school was huge.

Cori, You better listen to Mikki!

For me it's ice and Aleve. I pulled my back a little when I bent down to pick up my granddaughter today. Akkkkkkkkkkk! I don't need anything else wrong! Thank goodness it isn't severe.

khourianya
06-17-2005, 12:15 AM
I wish we could get aleve here - it's by prescription only...

Around noon, I had the nurses at the school take a look at it. They said that it looks pretty good and i am doing everything i should be. If it is still really hurting tomorrow night, I will go to my walk-in clinic and arrange for x-rays. the pain and swelling have gone down alot and it is more just a nuisance. I have had worse sprains before (probably about 4 billion of them since I am a total klutz). I am just amazed that we have had the dog this long before it happened. i spend every day at a park that is full of potholes!

Khadres
06-17-2005, 12:20 AM
The swelling should tell you whether it's really bad or not...if it is, the swelling will persist, so be ready to get it seen to. I agree tho...you'll have to do the lighter parts of the moving lest you re-injure yourself. Have fun at the art store!

Welcome back Christy! Glad you had such a nice vacation!

purplelizard
06-17-2005, 12:47 AM
Ooooh, cori :crying: I'm sorry 'bout the ankle - I'm a veteran of dozens of sprains on the same ankle (unfortunately, I'm not exaggerating) and gosh, sprains take longer than breaks to heal. Be nice to yourself - wrap it, ice it, etc. You have my complete sympathy. ouch.

Katie - wow, there's a BUNCH of horse people on this thread! I grew up around them, think they're beautiful creatures, but my younger sister got bit by the horse bug at the age of 8. I'll never forget it. It's a disease!

Now, at the age of 37, she has a dozen Arabs and half-Arabs - her beloved stallion, Pinnacle, died recently. He was ancient - 28 maybe? He was a national champion and she got him at an auction for a $100 a couple of years ago, I think. (he was skin and bone) She still has the horse magazine that pictures his mother (from the 1980's) pregnant with him! (holey buckets!) She doesn't have kids and they are her babies. But I can empathisize the the foal watch - been a part of that myself.

So my sister fattened him up, spoiled him and well....it seems Pinnacle was still a "Lively Guy" last year - She bred him to all of her mares and now has one purebred and a bunch more half arab babies on the ground or on the way. Oy - I think she's nuts, but she can't imagine doing anything else. She loves going to auction and saving one or two a year, and she often finds a diamond in the rough. My kids rode him last year - a stallion! He was a sweet riding guy - one of them had never ridden before.

ooohh, ok I'm off topic - But I'm going to see her tomorrow - I shot six rolls of film when I visited last summer - my round bales painting and cow painting on my website came from there, so I'm looking forward to more inspiration! She lives in the Canton, TX area. One of my daughters and my mom are going, too. Just for the weekend. Can't wait! I'm excited! (gee, can ya' tell??)

Katie, my prayers are with you for a live, kickin', snortin' foal! With a big, dish nose - they're so cute when they have that big ole dip as babies! :p

Guess I'd better quit ramblin' and go pack - or go to bed. Or paint. or lurk about on another thread........too many choices.

Muffin_4377
06-17-2005, 12:50 PM
If it is still really hurting tomorrow night, I will go to my walk-in clinic and arrange for x-rays. the pain and swelling have gone down alot and it is more just a nuisance.

Ah what a beautiful phrase......"walk-in clinic". There is NO such thing up here....arghhhhhhh :mad: . We have to wait anywhere from 2-3 wks to get in to see your doctor, and heaven forbid if you can't wait that long and have to go sit in Emergency! Most of the men out living in camp (there's over 10,000 of them) have to use the emerg. for all ailments cause there is no openings availiable in the Dr. offices.
Single woman looking for a date in Fort McMurray? Go sit in Emergency for half the day......you would come out with a phone book of #'s!!!

CM Neidhofer
06-17-2005, 12:51 PM
Here is the first post with some of my vacation pics. Another to follow.

The first two are of Arch Rock on Mackinaw Island. I think it was once a lookout point for approaching enemies.

The next two are butterflies in a conservatory on the Island. They have butterflies from all over the wordl flying freely in this glass enclosed building. Very pretty!

Last one is a fawn we caught site of in a field while driving around.

Christine

CM Neidhofer
06-17-2005, 12:54 PM
First one here is Lake Erie. At one time it was so polluted, no swimming or fishing was allowed. It's beautiful now!

Next one is Lilacs on the Island. They were in the middle of a Lilac Festival.

Third is Mackinaw Lighthouse.

Fourth, Mackinaw Bridge, five miles long between lower Michigan and Upper Penninsula.

Christine

K Taylor-Green
06-17-2005, 01:20 PM
Great pics, Christy! You really did have a great vacation.

Kristen, The arab that sired the foal we are watching for is also an older horse
I can trace him back to Raseyn, his several greats granddaddy. The funny thing
is that this same stallion also sired my gelding Smoke, 20 years ago! :eek: I don't think that Smoke was too impressed on learning that that he is expecting a baby brother or sister. Funny thing about horseitis, I hear it is terminal!

Today, a baby of a different kind. I'm packing up an overnite bag and heading for Columbus. Spending the night with my new grandson, Owen. Oh yeah, and my daughter and son-in-law, too. :D

khourianya
06-17-2005, 11:51 PM
Christine - those photos are lovely! It looks like you had a beautiful place to vacation!

Dania - NO WALK IN CLINICS?!?!?! I thought for sure that Fort Mac would have at least a couple...especially with all of the oil workers and the potential for minor injury. Yikes! I'm surprised the oil companies haven't insisted on it.

The swelling in my ankle has gone down a great deal and it is only lightly discoloured. It's still a bit tender, but feels loads better.

The move is really speeding towards us now. A week from tomorrow we will be loading the truck and hauling stuff into our new place. It's nice to think that we will finally be free of this place. Tomorrow we have to pack as much as we can, since I leave sunday and don't get back until Wednesday night. Looking at how few boxes we have left in our reserve, I have a feeling i will be making the trek to the liquor store to source some more.

Off to rest my foot some more....ciao for now.

Jo Castillo
06-18-2005, 01:46 AM
Christine, Love the photos. I will try to post some. We leave in two weeks on our vacation to NM, the gathering in Montana, Canada (B.C.) and home in October. We will have dial up mostly at 10 cents a minute so won't be posting much .. as if I ever do.:)

Cori, hope that ankle is better and you enjoy the new digs.

I love horses, too. Grew up in NM with quarter horses, sagebrush, dust, sun, etc.

I love wetcanvas and hope to at least read, even if I can't post much, and see some of you in Montana.

Hope to do the plein air in Albuquerque and see some of you NM people.

Later,
Jo

Piper Ballou
06-18-2005, 02:25 AM
Christine- I love the pictures, glad you had a good time.
cori- take care of your ankle, glad to hear it is looking better
Kate- have a wonderful weekend, I get to have my grandson over in the morning for a couple of hours and really look forward to it.
Jo- it is always fun to look forward to a vacation

meowmeow
06-18-2005, 11:17 AM
:wave: Just a quick run through to make sure everyone is okay!

Beautiful photos Christy...sounds like a super vacation!

Cori...can't leave you alone for a week, can I! I hope the ankle and whatever else is ailing you clears up soon...and that the move goes smoothly.

Hope the foal arrives easily Kate! WOnderful photo...I don't know if I ever saw a horse in quite that condition!

I don't know what I have been so busy with up here but I have. I've done a little painting...mostly from the window with a friend since the weather has not been cooperative. Working on getting stuff ready for the show next Saturday (although I suddenly realized I should have gotten something from them in the mail last week...hmmmm....I know they cashed the check!). I actually started working on a water miscible oil painting! Yikes! I've been enjoying it....notgiving up my pastels though!

Kids coming up for Father's Day later...we are doing it today...then my son and ladyfriend will head back down in the morning and do it with her family tomorrow!

Busy..busy...next week there are lots of appointments...something on my arm that needs to come off....the doctor didn't seem concerned so I am not really. But who needs it! Other junk like that...more nuisance than anything...and takes time.

So you all have a good weekend and eventually I will work my way back here. I miss checking up on all the great work people do!

Sandy

CM Neidhofer
06-18-2005, 03:34 PM
I posted a couple of weeks ago about my son turning 18 and I couldn't celebrate with him because he's been in so much trouble and was placed in a foster home. He turned 18 last week. I had my neighbor send his birthday card off for me while I was on vacation. Seems he got it a day or two late though and didn't know I was gone. He tried to reach me to have breakfast together for his birthday.

I've had a short, but good cry this morning. Not a bad one, a good one. Nick and I had breakfast together this morning. He apologized to me for all the troubles he caused. He knows it was the drugs. He said he knows I did the right things for him and that leaving him in jail was the kick in the ass he needed! He's been working at Burger King and he's going into their manager training program. He bought a car for $200 that only needs a new starter. It's a 1987 Ford Tempo. He almost has enough money saved for the down payment on the insurance. He's been attending a flight club, at his old high school, because he remains a member even if he's not there anymore. He is working a booth at the Highland Square street festival today for the club. We walked some of the festival after breakfast and had an ice cream cone before I came home. He said he's trying to do all the right things now. He has a checking and savings account. They've dropped him to one UA a week instead of two. He has a girl friend named Brandi. She's in the flight club too and I guess he knew her when he went to North High. I met her and her sister and father. I want to take that long weekend later this summer and go back to South Dakota. He said if he can get the time off work, he'll go with me. And he'll go to the Cherry Creek Art Festival with me again next month. He has to be out of the foster home by the end of August so he's looking for his own place to rent. I told him if he's still clean and doing well, he can always come home for a while if he's in a bind. He said ok, but he'd rather make it on his own. He hugged me and told me he loves me. He's smiling and laughing and the sparkle is back in his eyes. I'm happy for him, and proud of him now again too. I think I have my son back, as a young man now. :clap:

Christine

tURBOCAT
06-18-2005, 03:36 PM
Well I have fallen off the pastel trail the last couple of weeks and have posted some comments but no art.

Started a big pastel and it turned into a travesty - you know, it happens sometimes. (2 in a row, even) So had to take a break and play with some abstracts a bit to clear the brain from the detailed work I like in pastels. So those are posted over in the abst/contemporary forum. Besides, it takes me forever to figure out what to paint next.

And I have to figure out how to uncurl my new roll of Wallis. So I am still around and miss my pastels. But another abstract or two and I'll be all set.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Johnnie

Piper Ballou
06-18-2005, 03:46 PM
Christine,
Thank you so much for sharing your story today, it sent goose bumps all up and down my arms and tears to my eyes while I was reading it. Four years ago, your story was my story too, my son is also doing great today. I believe children give us our greatest joy but also the greatest grief we can experience.
I am so happy for you. Just remember, one day at a time. but what great days
thanks again
piper

K Taylor-Green
06-18-2005, 05:22 PM
Christine, What a touching story. How happy and releaved you must be!

I had a wonderful visit with Megan and little Owen. I went up to help with a little devil child, and found an angel instead! He is finally settling down, and Megan is coping much better.
And of course, while I was gone, Phaedra dropped her foal! :rolleyes: I have a colt!! He is a light beige color, and will be a Buckskin when grown. His mane and tail have black mixed in, which tells me what his adult color will be. He is healthy, but still a bit wobbly on his little hooves. Will share photps as soon as I get them downloaded. He is just gorgeous!! I named him Ibn Caseyn. Ibn is Arabic for son of. His sire's name is Caseyn.
Can't wait to show him off!

Khadres
06-18-2005, 05:38 PM
Glad to hear all is well with your son, now, Christy!

Oh, hurry up with the pics, Kate! Is Phaedra proud of her new baby? Can't wait to see the little guy!

CM Neidhofer
06-18-2005, 05:48 PM
Thanks, everyone, for your well wishes and for letting me vent. Today was the perfect ending to a perfect vacation! And Piper, I know it's still going to be hard for him. As you said...one day at a time. I am still optimistically cautious, for his sake and mine. But he is his old self again and that's a very big start. :)

Mikki Petersen
06-18-2005, 06:17 PM
Ah Christine, had myself a little cry for the both of you. The key for your son will be staying off the substance abuse. If he can do that, he can do anything! Good luck to you both. And I love your photos! What I remember of Michigan is mosquitos big as horse flies and lots of them...are they still there?

Oh Kate, congratulations! Phaedra finally managed to become a Mom! Good for her. I'm looking forward to photos of Ibn.

My phone lines have been fouled up for two days, so I've been cut off. It's good to be back.

Happy painting,
Mikki

meowmeow
06-18-2005, 09:08 PM
((Christine))....I am glad to hear that things are working out now with your son. I hope they continue to improve. Even if there are ups and downs it sounds like he is on a good road now!

COngrats Kate! YOu must be so relieved to have a healthy colt! Enjoy all your babies!

:wave: Johnnie!

Sandy

khourianya
06-18-2005, 09:35 PM
Christine - what a lovely story! :) I can only imagine how happy you must be.

Kate - another baby for the brood! :D Congratulations!

Well - I am starting to feel extrememly waterlogged here. It is still raining (it has barlely stopped for a day since I got back from Toronto. Road closures, evacuations and severe flooding west of the city, winds and heavy rain within city limits. If it doesn't stop soon, i shall have to grow gills! :eek:

Today, it is really bad - so I am happy to be safely inside and packing!

CM Neidhofer
06-19-2005, 12:13 AM
Yes, Mikki, the giant, dive-bombing, ravenous mosquitos are still there!! lol I'm still itchin!

Deborah Secor
06-19-2005, 12:05 PM
I'm having some computer problems and can't seem to stay online! I can sneak in a post or two, then fall offline. Installed new ISP software that I hate.. having a 56K modem is like driving a horse and carriage on the freeway these days. Reading wht I can, responding when able...and keeping all of you in my thoughts, too!

Got to talk on the phone to my son yesterday! Whoo hoo!

Fraid I'll fall outta here so I'm posting this fast. See ya!

Deborah

purplelizard
06-19-2005, 11:20 PM
Congratulations, Kate!! A colt!! safely delivered - yea!!! :clap: :clap:
What a relief for you, I'm sure. Is it the "watched pot never boils" thing - you leave town and the mare decides its time??

Well, I got my "critter fix" - got back from my sister's place - 10 horses, 4 goats, five cats, five dogs plus seven border collie puppies, and too many chickens to count. My daughter has never gone out to "collect eggs" - so we went and bothered the chickens in the pen for their eggs - My youngest daughter is 13, and was teasing me about her "deprived" childhood - never getting to spend a lot of time in the country, like I did as a kid. She was giggling like a little kid as the chickens fussed at her. We helped feed the horses, tie the goats out to "mow" an area, water all the critters, etc. She loved it. My sister only gets about three TV stations, and they come in fuzzy - and Meridith never missed it, and she's my TV couch potato at home! She and her cousin slept out on the trampoline and watched a falling star and the moon was about 2/3 full last night - there was a layer of fog and the ground and it was absolutely heaven. I call that "making memories". and it didn't cost much. She went to her first rodeo - she LOVED it! She's making plans to marry someone (someday) that wants to live in the country, too, and she was picking out houses and property as we were driving around. too funny!

It was a blessed 48 hours. And I shot 3 rolls of film, many of which will go into my inspiration file for future paintings!

Happy Sunday! :)

khourianya
06-20-2005, 12:45 AM
Well, here I am in Edmonton...my hotel is really nice - a suite with all the bells and whistles (including the crappiest internet connection possible - which, for what I am paying for a room, had better be fixed by tomorrow). It keeps blinking on and off and when I called the help desk, they informed me it was the actual modem. Right now I just have to reset it ever 20 seconds to keep a connection. :eek:

Ciao for now - I want to send this before I go offline yet again!