PDA

View Full Version : considering 1yr of art school

regsart
06-13-2005, 10:29 AM
Being a self taught artist and unfamiliar with the ins and outs of the art business world, Im considering some schooling specifically K. Gibbs- So that I can be employed in the field or freelance more successfully.

Anyone have experience with this school? It's a BIG decision I'm wondering will graphic art school really help me to sell paintings , prints and books? what I really want to do. :)

Of course the practical side would be that I could land a job in
well-
I really haveno idea what sort of job I could land with 1yr of art communications- Im clue less Im guessing graphics and I really don't know what that involves.
However I need to earn a living.

Well any feed back would be much appreciated

better go paint
Regan

Keith Russell
06-16-2005, 08:40 PM
Regan, I'm a painting major working on a BFA at the Kansas City Art Institute. But, I earned an Associate's Degree in Commercial art many years ago, with the idea that I'd become an art director, or commercial artist of some kind.

I freelanced as a commercial artist for many years, designing logos and pasting up catalogs, and photographing the odd benefit concert or talent show. I found it helpful that I knew many of the small business owners around town. (A great way to meet them is to join your local BBB. The dues can be expensive--sometimes you can attend one or two meetings without being a member, or find someone you know who is a member, and who will let you tag along to meetings.)

I earned my commercial art AA degree right before the entire commercial art industry went digital. Things have become certainly much more digital in the decades since then. While I'm no expert on how things are in graphic design today, I'm thinking that you're not going to learn enough to be very employable, after only a year of graphic design courses.

If its really painting and 'fine art' that interest you, rather than the graphic design industry, (and it sounds like you want to go the gallery sales route), maybe a business course (running your own business, how to write a grant, how to put together a business plan and find start-up loans, etc.) might be a better use of your year...

Best wishes,

Keith.

regsart
06-17-2005, 11:02 AM
Hello Keith,
Thanks- I decided not to attend - its not what I need really the recruiter was pushy and promised me the world -and wasted my time ! she had me in ther 3 hours the first day!!
Oh well nothing ventured...........

Yes I need a business course! There's a breakfast/lecture on art business and raising funds next week I think I'll go!

Thanks

better go paint
Regan