PDA

View Full Version : Pineapple study / still life

prestonsega
06-13-2005, 12:46 AM
Grocery shopping can be so inspiring. I set out to do a simple 1 hour sketch from life, but went over the 1 hour mark and decided to post it in the open forum. Also thumbnailed is the painting at about 10 and 20 minutes Also the still life from which I worked can be seen behind the easel. I like the freshness that I have here but some finishing touches are needed so C&C welcome.!
18" x 12" on Art Spectrum black

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jun-2005/29946-pineapplestilpaint1hour.jpg

*Deirdre*
06-13-2005, 03:38 AM
Preston - this is coming on beautifully! Surely there is not much more to do to it? I like it as it is! :clap:

TFB
06-13-2005, 05:12 AM
Wow, it is wonderful. I love the loose painterly effect you have. I enjoy the fruit and vegetable section of grocery shopping (visually), but nearly always end up eating it , rather than painting it!
TFB

tURBOCAT
06-13-2005, 07:00 AM
Preston - that's a WOW for me! Just terrific. And a real-life still life set up. Excellent!

Johnnie

Susan Borgas
06-13-2005, 07:37 AM
I like the use of colour in this one along with the painterly effect, well done!

Rose Baggs
06-13-2005, 08:25 AM
This is fabulous Preston! I love the painterly style too.

Bringer
06-13-2005, 11:23 AM
Hi,

This is a wonderfull painting. It would easily sell.
Now for a odd question :-) Are you sure those are pineapples ? I have the idea that the green part is not so straight up. I'm telling you this because there's a fruit very similar to pineapple, usualy from Brazil, called «Abacaxi» that has the green part like that. I looked on the dictionary and the tradition is «sort of pineapple» it does not have (at least on this dictionary) a specific word.
Did I talk too much ? :-)

Best regards,

José

P.S. I also like working on black paper

Kristrotter
06-13-2005, 01:48 PM
I like this a lot. I think your colors are great and your style. I don't believe I have ever seen pineapples in a still life painting before. It is great to see something new and different. Pears and apples are beautiful, but I like that you picked these.

Sherry Richardson
06-13-2005, 02:40 PM
Preston,

I love this one--the harmony of the the colors, the composition, the looseness--this one is a beauty!

Sherry

Khadres
06-13-2005, 02:56 PM
Pineapples on sale this week? :D This is gorgeous and shows for sure that you haven't lost your soft touch while dabbling with the oily bunch!!

prestonsega
06-13-2005, 04:22 PM
Thanks ya'll for the feedback....Honesty must prevail....this painting reproduced better on screen than it ;looks in person....not sure why.

Deirdre...My downfall is overworking a piece. Going to study and listen to others comments before approaching the painting again. The limes look like easter eggs to me so I know that's gotta be addressed

TFB...these beauties are going to be tonights salad!!! ( Artist's model decapitated..film at 11!)

Jose....You comment about the pineapple had me digging in the trash for the tag..... it's sold as a Costa Rican pineapple. ( I have never read the tags before...) I generally think of pineapples as being more bushy on top, too.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jun-2005/29946-pineappletag.jpg

Johnnie...it took as long to set up the still life as it did to get the work to this point......that was good visual and tactile study time.

Rose, Susan, and Kris..your opinions are always appreciated.

Sherry....good to see you back online!!!Thanks for commenting!

Sooze....Yikes! You, too, had me looking for the reciept in the trash...If I had known how much they were I probably would only have bought one....Oh well, 2 more pineapple plants to root!

Bringer
06-13-2005, 04:35 PM
And I believe !!

Best regards,

José

CarlyHardy
06-13-2005, 07:18 PM
Preston,
this is beautiful and your sketching is excellent. On the monitor, the purple in your shadows is almost too intense. It overpowers the wonderful color and richness you captured in the fruit. This could just be the digital but I'd soften it a bit so that it recedes into the fabric more.

Did you paint these with oilies too? :D
carly

bnoonan
06-13-2005, 08:33 PM
Quite Festive!!! Does this mean you are serving pina coladas any time soon?

Nice colors - love the loose strokes and the movement created by them. You know me - I'm a fan of all of your paintings.

B :)

CindyW
06-14-2005, 08:13 PM
Love your colors here! The strokes are lively and very interesting.
Cindy

prestonsega
06-14-2005, 08:25 PM
Did you paint these with oilies too? :D
carly
You knew I would!! lol..think maybe there's a pattern developing? :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3614960#post3614960

And yes, Carly...in the light of day the overpowering purple shadow is more obvious....thanks for your input...the shadow definately is in need of some refinement,

Barb. thanks for commenting,,you know have a mutual respect for your work, also.

Bing..I appreciate your taking the time to look and comment.
Thanks!

dexonsbabe
06-15-2005, 05:32 PM
love the colours preston

prestonsega
06-18-2005, 05:11 PM
For better or worse this is the finished work.....I recieved a set of nice soft lavendars Mt Visions, so the painting got highly influenced..also simplified by omitting fabric folds. For a more intimate feel cropped to standard 11" a 14" format.

Thanks for the input. This was a fun project. I did the same still life simultaneously in oil pastel. The lighting and some fruit was rearranged Atached also is that finished version

soft pastel on Wallis gray 11" x 14" right upper lighting
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jun-2005/29946-pineapplestillfinis.jpg

Oil Pastel on Canson Ivy 11" x 14" right theater lighting
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jun-2005/29946-pineapplestillOPfinis.jpg

sweetapplez
06-18-2005, 09:23 PM
My these are both delightful. I think I prefer the oil one - maybe I'm attracted to the warmth.

Bill Foehringer
06-19-2005, 12:03 AM
That's a good one Preston. Yes, as you say it has the loose feel that is so hard to do right. I like the size too. I think the limes look fine. Bill

RUNEMASTER
06-20-2005, 10:31 AM
Man this is good work.

meowmeow
06-20-2005, 04:30 PM
Neat to see them both...I like them both. Yes, the oily is "warmer"...but the other has a very classy feel to it. Definitely pine-apply! If they ripened while you worked I can imagine the smell! Yum!

Sandy

t-sue
06-20-2005, 11:09 PM
Love the oilie, but I gotta tell you that the softie is my favorite, if I had to choose. There is something about it that is just so perfectly wonderful, top to bottom and all in between!!!!! Think Sandy is right... it really has a "classy" feel! You continue to mesmerize me with your work!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Jo Castillo
06-22-2005, 01:03 AM
Preston .. I like the cropping on the softie painting. Well, looks like both are cropped. But I liked the looseness and splashes of orange/yellow in the bacground before you finished it. :) Could be the photos, of course. Maybe it is just because I aspire to paint more that way .. I get so bogged down in detail and realistic colors, etc. Both are beautiful .. love your work. Inspiring.
Jo