PDA

View Full Version : Basic 101: Class 21 - Sketching

Pages : [1] 2 3

JayD
06-13-2005, 12:12 AM
Basic 101: Class 21
Sketching

Before I start, our guest Subbie for this two-week session will be CJ. She was recently off on a jaunt and had the opportunity to do some “on the fly” sketching. She will be showing us how she approaches the subject of sketching. What attracts her to the subject and how she decides what is the best composition for her. Lets all take the time to look, listen and learn. CJ—thank you for doing this. The 101ers and I appreciate you and your willingness to share your time and your talents.

Introduction:

To sketch is to create a memo to you for later reference. It is a moment caught between your pencil and the paper and a time that you will later—one-day—one-month—one-year want to relive.

Artists and non-artists have been sketching since the dawn of time. Non-artists doodle and become great statesmen and write great books like Profiles in Courage while artists doodle and splash a masterpiece single handedly across someone’s church ceiling.

Rex Harrison complains to Charlton Heston “When will you be finished” and Charlton Heston retorts “When it is finished!” With a sketch, the drawing is finished but not finished—it can stand alone as its own tome to the mind and talent of its creator or it can morph at the hands of the artist into something more detailed, something less evanescent and certainly into a work far more substantial.

Sketching is a signpost on the road ahead of your own zone. A moment caught like a mosquito suspended in amber.

Welcome to the sketching edition of Basic 101. Try to enjoy this section, as you will never find a more relaxing way to spend your time. You can sketch quickly or you can work methodically. Make your own pace and space your own time. After all, the moment that you are creating is yours.

Materials

What do you need to sketch? Well, that is entirely up to you. I hope that you will take the time in this class to explore various ways to handle a sketch. Here are some suggested materials and assorted this and thats:

1. Graphite Pencils—they are easy to get. Gosh, everybody everywhere has a pencil. I prefer to work with a 2b but that, again, is entirely up to you.

2. Charcoal Sticks—I don’t sketch in charcoal because I don’t like the sometimes potential mess that I can make with these. If you DO choose charcoal, make sure that you get a mixed box so that you can apply a little variety to your paper.

3. Conte’—You can get this in both pencil and in sticks. It is certainly a happy mix between graphite and pencil.

4. Pastel Pencils—you can get these in pencil form as well, which I think are more ideally suited for sketch but I know a lot of people who use the sticks.

5. Colored Pencils—these are clean and portable and you can also get them in “Stix” which are excellent for broad sketching.

6. Water Color Pencils—these are excellent for sketching as well.
You can draw solid sketches or you can create beautiful translucent washes.

7. Pens—I use Micron pens for most of my sketching. They are water fast and archival so you can mix them comfortable from colored washes using watercolor or watercolor pencil.

8. A sketchbook—I preferred a spiral bound time but this is totally up to you.

9. An eraser—I carry a kneaded eraser and a firmer eraser.

10 A craft knife or a sharpener for sharpening your pencils.

11. Fixative—to keep your sketched masterpiece from smudging…

12. Clips if you are not working in a book. Some people do sketch with loose paper.

13. Tortillions, cloths or your favorite smudgely tool.

14. Sandpaper—for sharpening your tortillions or your pencils.

15. Easel—if you are not working from a sketchbook, it is a good idea to take along an easel.

16. A small stool if you remember.

17. A viewfinder or a stick used for measuring distances

18. A bag. Get a bag. You’re going to need one.

Composition

The key to sketching a moment is to quickly decide what is going to be the best composition. The best way to accomplish this feat while out in the field is with a view finder. A viewfinder is simple to take a stiff piece of cardboard and cut out and make two “L” shaped strips that you can put together in a frame. When you look through this type of viewfinder you will see that you can move the two “L” shapes around until you can find the picture that you want. This is sort of like cropping.

Whenever you start to sketch, look for a focal point. This is the point of interest for your sketch. Try to keep the focal point off center. Your composition should lead the viewer to the point of interest.

By using strong dramatic contrasts (lights against darks) you can emphasize the importance of your focal point. For example, draw detailed tree in the foreground with a silhouetted building in background. Sketching is an excellent way to practice value quick value studies.

Here are some good compositional tips:

1. Don’t center your focal point—this creates a stagnant, uninteresting picture.

2. Watch the corners and edges—placing your focal points in these areas will lead the view AWAY from you focal point and away from the picture.

3. When you have “like objects”, vary the sizes to create interest. Otherwise you will have bookends and, again, another uninteresting sketch.

4. Don’t butt the objects together. Go for something more interesting. For example, try overlapping the images.

Here are some general sketching tips:

1. Work loosely—do NOT worry about detail.

2. Work broadly—work from your elbow as much as possible and not from your wrist. It will show in your drawings.

3. Keep your sketches quick and short. Try to just go for the moment. Later come back and see if you can add detail based upon your “notes”.

Sketching is a relatively simple thing—you are already doing it or have done it. I have included some of my sketches here for you to see. They are varied in approach and complexity. I don’t normally show my sketches to anyone because most of them are straight out of my head—musings—vents of the imagination—a cold scoop of ice cream on a daydream cone. Some are a combination of reality and imagination. I sketched my privacy fence at my house for later use in some drawing and there are sketches that are plans for larger works later one. Enjoy.

JayD
06-13-2005, 12:13 AM
Here are some more:

JayD
06-13-2005, 12:15 AM
Assignments:

1. Do a sketch of a single object.

2. Do sketch of multiple objects

3. Do a landscape sketch

4. Do a people sketch indoors

5. Do a people sketch outdoors

6. Finally, pick the best of your sketches and do a “finished” piece in your favorite medium.

Here are some reference links that you should definitely check out:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259237

The above link is Artdude’s sketch thread. There are links here of sketches that go all the way back to 2003—this is a MUST SEE!!!

http://www.awn.com/mag/issue6.01/6.01pages/6.01vilppu.php3

The above is an article on sketching on location.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275205

The above is Soren’s Angel studies. Some really neat sketches. Check it out!

[ Broken link ]Here is how Leonardo does it. Here are his sketches:

http://www.visi.com/~reuteler/leonardo.html (http://www.visi.com/%7Ereuteler/leonardo.html)

[ Broken link ]Here are some sketches by John Waterhouse. Note the decided lack of detail. He is just working out the plan:

http://www.johnwilliamwaterhouse.com/sketches.aspx

Over at watercolor.com you will find a sketch of a bird wing by Albrect Durer:

http://www.watercolorpainting.com/famousartist/durer.htm

[ Broken link ] Here are some sketches by Michelangelo:

http://www.casabuonarroti.it/english/draw.htm

[ Broken link ] This one is the Edward Hopper Scrapbook. You will find it very interesting:

http://americanart.si.edu/collections/exhibits/hopper/index.html

Here are some Picasso sketches of Max Jacob:

http://communitas.princeton.edu/blogs/wri152-3/bmasters/archives/001940.html

This one is by John Singer Sargent
http://www.jssgallery.org/Paintings/Sketches/Nudes/Two_Sketches_of_a_Male_Nude.htm

Anita Murphy
06-13-2005, 12:28 AM
Woooohoooo sketching!

Mary Woodul
06-13-2005, 07:38 AM
Hi JayD and Anita. :wave: I am really going to like this class and need it. I don't think I know how to sketch. :o

sultry
06-13-2005, 07:47 AM
Hi Jay, Anita & Mary,
Jay great explanation on sketching. I have a few scraps of doodling around I did while in bed recently I am not sure if I can post them because they are imagative, I did not look at anything to sketch them.

JayD
06-13-2005, 07:57 AM
Oh, yeah, Sults--I did my sketch of the witches one night on Big Walker Mountain in SW Virginia. That sketch is based on a poem I wrote a long, long time ago called "Witch Night on Walker Mountain" about two boys who sneak out one night and go up the mountain on their bike to "see the witches". Much to their boyish disappointment and dismay--the witches are little girls. Unfortunately, I have since lost the poem so I have been trying to reconstruct it though sketches for some time now.

A lot of my sketches are from my imagination--musings over a cup of tea or thoughts of new projects. Dont forget that the sketch allows you to get an idea out on paper and break a potential mental block.

If you have sketched from your imagination--post it. It needs to be seen. :)

Mary, I suspect that you DO, in fact know how to sketch--most people do but dont know that they do--many people who try to draw and give up do so not because they cannot draw but simply because they dont know where to go from that point. They think their drawings are bad when, in fact, all the artist may need is advice and encouragement.

sultry
06-13-2005, 08:30 AM
LOL I sketched a witch too, was even trying to add cp to it. I also have a doodle of a cat and a study of a cube next to it I did in the waiting room at one of my Dr. visits. Also, the hand study before I did it. I find with my anxiety of going to public places, sketching calms me down and helps me to be able to go there and withstand the time. I am making my mind concentrate on my sketching and not on what is around me, that scares me. lol I know I am wierd. :rolleyes:
Hey Blah you should post your newspaper sketches here too. :)

Sorry Jay I am still on class 18 and have 19 to do yet. Hope this counts for 21.
edited....sorry my scanner is dirty again oops

Cathie Jones
06-13-2005, 08:57 AM
This looks like so much fun, JayD! Thanks for the instructions. I don't have time to post the Tahiti sketches this morning, but here's one I did from our hotel window in Monterey a few months ago. There was a trendy little shopping street below and I wanted to capture the street light and a store window for a future watercolor.

Edit: Forgot to say I've only used mechanical pencils for sketching. Difficult to do any real shading, but so much easier to travel with!!

Blah
06-13-2005, 09:56 AM
Hi Jay, Anita, Mary, Sultry, Cathie and the rest who are yet to come in :wave:

Sultry...instead of the newspaper sketches I would like to post a sketch I did in preparation for the whodunit thread. Unfortunately I could not meet the deadline and I never got down to developing this theme.

Blah

Edit: I forgot to add.....liked all the sketches posted so far and in particular Jay's sketch2 and Sultry's sktch3.

mmcgarrett
06-13-2005, 10:01 AM
This is the first Basic 101 class I've joined, but the topic is most timely for me. I do almost no freehand drawing, having never really taken a drawing class, but I am starting to really make an effort to do more. This class looks like just the ticket! I really enjoyed Stoy's drawing of the week topic this past week - the hand. I had found another hand reference image in the reference library that I planned to attempt starting today. When I saw the assignments for this class, I thought it might be good for me to attempt a 15 minute sketch from this reference image (alright, it's not exactly sketching from life, but it's a first step). It was actually sort of fun to do. Now to go off and find some real life subjects to sketch.

Micki

Blah
06-13-2005, 10:06 AM
Micki...welcome to the class:)

For someone who has not been drawing freehand your sketch is awfully good :clap:

Blah

Fireman's kid
06-13-2005, 01:04 PM
Hi everyone! :wave:

I'm with Mary in that I'm really looking forward to this class because I don't know if I know how to sketch. To me sketching seems like a quick thing and my art is never quick. I am sooooooo sloooooooow at drawing and painting. It's a good thing that cameras were invented, because if I had to rely on a sketch to capture an idea I would never have anything to paint. :p

JayD, thanks for the great intro as always. I loved your page of little red dogs! And is that tree the one from lesson 8?

Hi Anita! :wave:

Sults - your sketches are great, especially if they are from your imagination. I never draw from my imagination. I don't think I am a very visual person. Most of my memories are feeling rather than images. I couldn't draw anything even half way realistic from my memory or imagination. And yet I want to be an artist...go figure! :D

CJ - love the street light and can't wait to see those Tahiti sketches!

Blah - what a spooky sketch! Maybe you can still develop it some day. But not for a whodunit or we will know it is yours. :)

Hi Micki! Welcome to 101 fun. :) That is a very good sketch for 15 minutes. Like I said, I draw slow so after 15 minutes I don't think I'd even have anything recognizable.

Well, the girls are hungry so I have to go make them lunch. Be back later.

JayD
06-13-2005, 01:06 PM
Blah, I had to go back and see which one was sketch too. That's blind bunny and his big tree. One of my many character jumping around inside my head. By the way, the paper I used on these sketches is a thin handmade paper that I made myself and then crudely bound into a sketchbook. Fun stuff! Will never do that again!

Cathie Jones
06-13-2005, 03:12 PM
Micki, I have to agree with Blah. It looks like you've been sketching for years, judging by that hand. Glad you're joining us . . . feel free to go back through the previous lessons. JayD and the subbies are watching for new postings there, so there's no time-table for starting the lessons.

Stacy, I wouldn't get too excited about the Tahiti sketches. Remember, I joined this class last year specifically to learn how to sketch for that trip . . . and find myself in this lesson long after we returned. So my sketches look like they were done by someone who didn't know what she was doing!!!

We have more trips coming up . . . Mammoth Lakes in July and Montana (Glacier Park) in October to name just a couple . . . so I'm as anxious as everyone else to learn this.

Now, I have an admission. As much as I didn't want to learn to draw people, I do want to sketch them. What a dilema . . . :rolleyes:

JayD
06-13-2005, 03:32 PM
Here is a tip for you, CJ--dont learn to draw people for sketching--learn to draw a bottle with a neck (like a wine bottle). When you are at the mall or at the post office or in tahita or Pango Pango--when drawing people start with a basic bottle shape and then rough in your figure. Because the people are constantly shiping and moving you have to have a system to just jot down the idea to get the pose--THEN go back and rough in the person. You will find that this makes the process a whole a whole lot more enjoyable. Give it a try! :)

Mary Woodul
06-13-2005, 04:23 PM
Cj, Micki and Blah, those are good sketches and you all are way ahead.

JayD. I am also like Stacy in not being able to draw anything from my iimagination and I think that I always tried to draw what I was going to paint instead of sketching it. Thank you for the explanation about drawing people. I will try to concentrate on the position, to put down the important parts and then work from there.

Cathie Jones
06-13-2005, 04:42 PM
Thanks, JayD. I think that might work. I've noticed that if I want to draw something that has a difficult shape (like a flamingo, for instance) I first draw a square or rectangle the size I want it to be, then use that as a reference to rough in the other parts. It helps to have a 'frame' for the top, bottom and sides.

The people I'm thinking of, though, are musicians on stage and dancers, and I'd eventually like them to be recognizable, but still quick sketches . . . know what I mean?

Hey! Did anyone else have the attachments suddenly pop up full size?? Wonder if it'll stay that way.

Hi Mary! Once you do a quick sketch you'll see how much fun it is - take a look through JayD's links, and the sketches posted here. They're not exact, they're not (always) shaded, they just quickly capture an idea or a reference. You'll love it!!!

mothsailor
06-13-2005, 05:51 PM
Some nice sketches here already. Looking forward to seeing your Tahiti sketches, CJ. I need to get my sketching skills together for my summer in sunny California. All those strange, exotic people... :wink2: Only 3 weeks to go!!

Cathie Jones
06-13-2005, 07:52 PM
Well, hello, Dave, from a strange, exotic native Californian!! Glad to see you'll be with us for this ride. Can't wait to see your sketches. :evil: :angel:

Mary Woodul
06-13-2005, 08:13 PM
This is completely off in size and shape. I didn't know if you draw the cross line in the elipses in a sketch also and didn't, thus, the result. :eek: charcoal pencil in 5 min. You would think it would have been straighter in that time. The size of the vessel with the handles is completely off. It is about the size of the larger one. I didn't measure anything.

Mary Woodul
06-13-2005, 08:15 PM
Can we do anything from the monitor of our computer, in case of photographs?

JayD
06-13-2005, 08:57 PM
Mary, that's ok but I seem to remember that you are in Mexico--I would be out there sketching some of that fabulous architecture. Go for the monitor but make sure that you are having some fun!!

Mary Woodul
06-13-2005, 09:02 PM
Thank you JayD, I'll do some outside and on the weekend at the ranch where there are cattle and I will do some of the architecture here.

Cathie Jones
06-13-2005, 09:17 PM
Mary, remember that you're not going for a finished product here. The sketch is just the beginning, so it doesn't have to be straight, it doesn't matter which way the lines go (unless you're trying to capture a design), just get the basics.

Okay, here they come:

1. The first island we passed, sketched at breakfast as we floated by
2. Raiatea Mall - roughed while we were there, filled in some of it later
3. Raiatea Mall shop - from memory
4. Sailboat and island from photo
5. Hibiscus from very bad memory. There's only one flower in Tahiti that has more than 5 petals. I don't remember what it is, but it's not a hibiscus!!!

Judi1957
06-13-2005, 09:19 PM
Evening CJ, JayD and crew :wave: ,

Wow this class is really moving and everbody is doing such great sketches! :clap: :clap:

Another 5 star Class (hint, hint :wink2: )

Welcome Micki! So glad you are joining us!

I didn't get to sketch yet tonight and doubt if I will so I'll post one I did last October just as Basic 101 was in the beginning Classes

-JayD-thanks so much-Basic 101 all has been such a positive experience! :clap: :clap:

SILKNSATIN
06-13-2005, 09:20 PM
Sorry not going to be taking part in here this week. :crying:
I have so much to do and i'm not much of a doodler anyways.Lol
But i'll try to check in once in awhile to see all of you and your work. :wave:

Cathie Jones
06-13-2005, 09:24 PM
Bora Bora:

6. Little girl dancer from the ship - she was supposed to look about 7 years old, not 17!!
7. Kayaker - a ship's officer who liked to race the tender in his kayak - from memory
8. Banana tree and boat 'holder' from a ride around the island. The locals put their little fishing boats out of the water using poles, chains or ropes, and some of them roof it.
9. You've seen this one . . . on the balcony
10. Coconut palm on the beach - done on the island ride

Cathie Jones
06-13-2005, 09:30 PM
And finally . . .

11. The mountain in Moorea that was used in "South Pacific" has Bali Hi. Sketched from the ship
12. Moorea - this is a sketch log - it has text to remind me what was where in case I ever decide to develop the drawing or paint it.

That's all of Tahiti, except that I did re-do the hibiscus correctly, but can't find it now. I'll keep looking. I haven't done much sketching since we've been home, other than for painting.

See? You can all do better than this, so go for it!!!! Don't leave me standing out here alone . . . :D

Judi1957
06-13-2005, 09:39 PM
These are great CJ! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thanks for the trip to Tahiti.
I especially love the non-hibiscus! :D :clap:

Cathie Jones
06-13-2005, 09:55 PM
Hi Judi :wave:

I like your landscape sketch. The waterfall reminds me of one that was beside a busy road in Connecticut (30 years ago!) that I loved to see whenever I drove by it. Thanks for the memory!!

JayD
06-13-2005, 10:17 PM
cj--I think these are very good. I am sitting here assembling test kits and I decided to take a break and see if you had posted. these are very good. They are simple and unspoiled. Fresh and you made me wish I were there. What we see here are part of your trip and your memories. Go back and take a look at the John Waterhouse link. Very basic and to the point. Any ONE of these would make a great painting. What you have to do now is think about which one you would like to expand upon and how you will include it in a composition. Very nice work!

Mary Woodul
06-13-2005, 10:19 PM
CJ, those are beautiful sketches and I think I get the idea now.

Judi, I love your sketch also.

I'll go check some churches tomorrow or a landscape. Good night! :wave:

Cathie Jones
06-13-2005, 10:43 PM
Thank you, JayD and Mary. I looked at the Waterhouse site again, this time I went into the paintings. Beautiful work!!

Something I hope to achieve when I retire is to slow down and not feel as if I have to finish a painting RIGHT NOW. I'd like to do some studies, both for composition and color. My time is so limited now that I just rush to the watercolor without any studies and often make a mess.

JayD, I had the same feeling from Judi's waterfall - very loose and probably quick, but I got the idea and wanted to be there.

Mary, you can do it!! Try scribbling on some scratch paper or doing a contour drawing to loosen up.

I think I'll play with charcoal tonight.

JayD
06-13-2005, 11:02 PM
Judi, I missed your waterfall so I went bac to look--loosely executed. Very nice and this would make a very nice graphite wash or and ink and watercolor piece. You should consider doing this as a full piece at some point.

Mary--so the vases wiggle a little bit--the great thing about a sketch is that it is simply a memorandum to yourself that there was something special going on that made you stop, pause, look and sketch--no need for perfection in a sketch--they are my favorite kinds of drawings because there is no mechanical sweat of the brow laid on top--loose is a wonderful feeling--you can always straighten them out later if you incorporate these into a more permanent composition.

CJ--my favorite thing about waterhouse is the vast contrast between his sketches and his finished piece. He takes something so simple and transforms it as you see from his finished works.

mothsailor
06-14-2005, 02:28 AM
CJ, I really enjoyed looking at your sketches. :clap: :clap:

Mary Woodul
06-14-2005, 06:40 AM
Hi JayD, CJ and Dave. I think I am getting the picture now and I will go out to one of the plazas and try with a church and a vendor. JayD, I really feel this class is going to be a lot of fun, only a little more challenging for me but very necessary. I tend to go straight to the painting without planning and always painting from a photo.

mmcgarrett
06-14-2005, 06:50 AM
I love your sketches, CJ. I particularly like the hibiscus and the foot :D I'm still looking for some subjects to sketch. I'll be sitting in meetings all day today so maybe I can sit in the back and work on sketching people (yikes!)

Micki

Anita Murphy
06-14-2005, 07:15 AM
Hi JayD, Mary, CJ, Sults, Judi and Dave.
Great sketches going on here!

Two sketches - driven to the bottle!
I'd not really had a go at drawing glass before so this is real practice time for me.

sultry
06-14-2005, 07:26 AM
Hi Gang :wave:

Awe CJ, I like your sketches from the lamp post to the canoes I especially like how you sketched out the huts. Great Job

Blah, I think your Halloween sketch would of stumped me tremendously in Who Dunnit Thread. Then again, I am stumped easily. I like the concept of it.

Mary I like how you did a contour sketch of your still life subjects.

Judi the waterfall sketch, also made me want to be there.

Wow, Anita great job in rendering glass in these sketches. You can already see the reflections.

Jay I forgot to tell you my favorite sketch of yours is the lil girl and the Cheshire cat ( I know it is not that but it reminds me of it). That would be such a cute cp painting. It could go as a series with your swinging boy. :wink2: Or even in the foreground of it. If you decided to do a bigger one of him with her & the cat in it. Composition wise, it could work because it is 3 subjects. Like you have time for that, I know you don't, but it is a thought to keep in the back burner for future works of arts of yours.

Hope I commented on everyone, if not, sorry I did not mean to leave you out.
edited....Sorry Micki I like your sketch of the hand good job

JayD
06-14-2005, 09:22 AM
Hi, Sults--look closely at the cheshire cat--it is a caricature of myself. The drawing is a copy of Sir John Tenniel's actual drawing.

Cathie Jones
06-14-2005, 11:54 AM
Hi Subbie Sults! How are you feeling? Feel like doing some sketching?

Anita, I love your bottle and glass. I can only see one sketch now, but I think I saw the other one this morning before I came to work. Good work on the glass, and good perspective and shaping, too.

JayD, I noticed that cat looked a lot like you - what a clever idea! :clap:

Thank you, Dave, for your comments. I've seen some of your sketches in other threads and look forward to seeing some here, too - you're very good!!

Mary Woodul
06-14-2005, 01:26 PM
Wow, Anita, those are good sketches, goblet of water made me thirsty, so it must be very realistic.

Hi Sults, how are you feeling?

JayD, I was trying to make out what I had seen in the cat. What and idea! :D

Hi CJ, I will post this afternoon, I hope.

I just came back from town, hadn't been there for ages. Was able to sketch a church and just as I was parked in another place I spotted a vendor, who had also spotted me, so it wasn't going to be easy, turned to my right and saw this man in military uniform waving me to leave. I was parked across the street of the Army headquarters, duh......LOL. That was the end of my vendor, but I got another one while I was driving and will have to do him from my monitor. :wave:

Blah
06-14-2005, 01:50 PM
Cathie...thanks for the Tahitian tour and the range of subjects covered in your sketches. I liked several of them a lot for the content and as a drawing/sketch I liked the hibiscus (from memory) best, though I found the leaves distracting. I am sure they won't be distracting when you paint them

By the way, I still have to click on the thumbnails to enlarge them :(

Judi...what can I say? If you could sketch like this last October I can't wait to see your current sketches.

Mary....The first thing that struck me about your sketches is the fact that they look so bold and assured. The next thing is the fact that they look
3-dimensional I am sure you would have got the scale right if that was what you were aiming for, but since this is just a rough sketch how does that matter.

Anita...lovely sketches of glass surfaces :clap:

Sultry...thanks. I enjoyed the first whodunnit and was very disappointed to
have missed the deadline for the second one.

Hello Dave...when do we get to see your practice sketches? The real stuff, I gather, will start a few weeks from now.

Blah

Cathie Jones
06-14-2005, 03:05 PM
Hi Blah! Thanks for commenting. The leaves were added to the hibiscus so I wouldn't forget their shape. My sketches tend to be quick reminders of things I don't want to leave out when I'm ready to paint whatever it is.

Cathie Jones
06-14-2005, 05:21 PM
Hey! Where is everybody? It's too quiet around here . . . let's have a little acton! Somebody stir up some trouble . . .

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2005/23460-be_the_penguin.jpg

Judi1957
06-14-2005, 05:44 PM
OK CJ- Not here to start trouble-We need DAVE for that. :D
Just a hi! and I see you are going to command this class! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Love the bear and penguins!---LOL
Thanks for the comments on the waterfall. I love going to this place...here are a couple of reasons why.... :)

mmcgarrett
06-14-2005, 06:06 PM
Spent from 8 AM until 3 PM today in a meeting (yuk!). Decided to use the time to do some sketching of things in the room - or is this doodling? And what's the difference anyway between sketching and doodling :D It actually made a rather boring day a lot more fun. I'll have to keep working on this sketching thing!

Micki

mmcgarrett
06-14-2005, 06:17 PM
Finally have had a chance to catch up on everyone's work. Wow, you all are really doing great!

Judi -- I really like your waterfall. The trees are awesome and the kids are really cute!

Anita - Your bottles and glasses are spectacular. I have not tried to draw anything glass yet - a very intimidating subject!

Mlelevier - you're jars are very cool. Like them a lot.

Sultry - Love your hand - it looks really similar to one you did in last weeks drawing of the week thread. I like the cat, too.

Blah - Love your Halloween picture. Very 3-D.

What a very talented bunch of people here on the D/S forum.

Micki

Mary Woodul
06-14-2005, 06:30 PM
Judi, who are those precious children. Are they your grandchildren? The surroundings are beautiful also.

Micki that is nice doodling and sketching. Nice to have you in this class. :D

CJ, you need Dave and Joe. I thought one of them would show up after your post. The clip is fantastic, I can just see the reaction. :eek:

Well I tried with architecture, but I am not an architectural person, at least not at drawing it. The churches here are so elaborate that I would have had to sleep there to finish this one. It doesn't even have half of the detail insinuated on it. I'll try with objects first and then go back to the architecture.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2005/43096-Escanear0001.jpg

Fireman's kid
06-14-2005, 06:54 PM
Hi Micki! I really like your sketches, but I did have one question...were you paying attention to what was being said at all? I find that when I sketch in a meeting I totally block out what is being said and go into my own little world. Since the only meetings I go to now are art club meetings, it doesn't matter much, but if it was a work meeting I'd be in trouble! :D

Mary I think the church on the left hand side is great! You may not have all of the detail, but it's a sketch so that's okay. :)

Judi - That waterfall is really pretty, but I barely noticed it next to those adorable kids. I love the boys boots!

CJ - are you allowed to stir up trouble when you are the lead subbie?!? I'm sure Dave or Jim will be here soon to honor your request. :evil: By the way, I love your sketches, especially the island ones and the hibiscus. And I am sure most people are like me and have no idea how many petals a hibiscus has. :)

Anita - your glasses and bottles are fantastic. You sure picked a tough subject! I plan to start with something much easier.

Hope I didn't miss anybody. I'm using the quick reply so I can't see back very far and my brain is like a sieve - things just flow right out of it. :D

Mary Woodul
06-14-2005, 07:40 PM
Blah, I am sorry, thank you for your comment. I really don't know how to sketch, I have always gone straight to a painting with color or texture.

Stacey, thank you, but I think I will try something less complicated.

Judi1957
06-14-2005, 08:15 PM
Evening all!
Just stopping in to comment.I was just too pooped last night. :(
Everybody is doing so-o-o-o wonderfully!

JayD-I really enjoyed your sketches :D You spend so much time preparing-you are amazing! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Micki-That hand looks great!

Hi Stacy and Dave! :wave:

CJ-Besides your wonderful sketches-you are a wonderful Subbie (cracks whip! :D )

Mary I like your vases-and Love the architecture! Wow that must be a beautiful church and you caught its magestic architecture and beauty-even in a simple form-Wonderful!!

Blah-That is a great holloween sketch-I love the ghosts!

Sults-Great conjuring up a spell sketch! the rest are good too-I especially like the kitten.

Yes those are my grandchildren-Marie and Michael. (Proud and beaming Granny)-Thanks!

Cathie Jones
06-14-2005, 08:47 PM
Judi, I know you could whip up a little trouble if you tried!! :evil: (Love those grandkids by the waterfall!!)

Micki, I really enjoyed your meeting sketches. As far as I'm concerned, loose and easy is what this is all about - and fun, of course! :D

Mary, your church is beautiful. We simplify to capture architecture in painting - why wouldn't we do the same with sketching? You might remember to take that sketch pad back next time you're going to that church and add a little at a time, if you feel that you need to. I like it just the way it is! :clap:

Where are Dave and Joe and Blah and King Rein with their sketches? Are the boys ditching this class? They'll pay if they are!!! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2005/23460-smilie_whip.gif I borrowed JayD's whip!!

Hi Stacy! Do you have any more fun sketches, like the flying fish? (If you decide to sub a class I'll send the whip to you!!)

Edit: Here's some info that might help. This is from a recent issue of Watercolor Magazine's monthly e-mail newsletter. I haven't tried it yet, but will now that I remembered it:

4 STEPS TO A SUCCESSFUL SKETCH
By David R. Becker
1. Establish angles: Draw a border or frame no more than 7 inches wide. Lightly pencil in the large angles that make up the shapes of the scene. Don't sweat the small stuff at this point—just work out the large masses.

2. Define shapes: Once you're satisfied with the composition of the sketch, establish more exactly the contours of objects. Again, don't include details.

3. Shade light areas: Squint your eyes and identify the value pattern. Begin shading in the largest light- and medium-value masses. Think of your sketch as if it were a watercolor painting and go through the same steps you would with a painting.

4. Put in darks: Put in the large darks, keeping your edges as clean as possible. Be careful not to overwork the sketch. It's not meant to be a finished work of art. Rather, it's a blueprint for your final painting.

For more sketching tips, see "Sketching: A Blueprint for Success" in the June 2005 issue of Watercolor Magic, on newsstands now or online at www.watercolormagic.com. In that same issue you'll also find an international gallery of artists entitled "Watercolor the World Over," as well as Betsy Dillard Stroud's candid interview with watermedia icon Edward Betts. Betts' insights into how his shift from realism to abstraction helped him find a style all his own will help you as you grow into the artist you've always wanted to be!

Mary Woodul
06-14-2005, 09:51 PM
Thank you CJ and Judi. Going hunting for architecture, was fun I hadn't gone to town in more that a year. I got a kick out of the torta stand I want to share with you. I didn't sketch it because the guy didn't seem to happy with me parking behind him.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2005/43096-IMG_1718.JPG

Here is another sketch:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2005/43096-Escanear0002.jpg

Mary Woodul
06-14-2005, 09:52 PM
CJ, thank you for the pointers and Judi your grandsons are adorable. :D :wave:

Cathie Jones
06-14-2005, 10:05 PM
Great plant sketch, Mary. :clap: It's almost a finished, stand-alone drawing!

And what can you say about "El Gory," except that torta stand doesn't exactly make me hungry!!! :eek:

Mary Woodul
06-14-2005, 10:31 PM
Me either, hey you have a Joseph Cambell quote. I like that one! :D Thank you for the comment on the plant.

Cathie Jones
06-14-2005, 10:36 PM
Joseph Campbell is my hero. My husband has been a fan of his for years and has all of his books, video tapes, and now CDs. We've been listening to the CDs in the car when we go to L.A., and it's those taped talks that have given me the courage to "follow my bliss," retire from the gas company in October and take my life in a different direction. I'm getting ready to slay the dragon "Thou Shalt." :D

Blah
06-15-2005, 06:04 AM
Hey Blah you should post your newspaper sketches here too. :)

Here are two of them.

For those of this class who have seen these posted before, I frequently sketch on newspapers, especially when I am stuck doing a crossword puzzle. These are two sketches that I had posted elsewhere earlier.

Blah

Blah
06-15-2005, 07:06 AM
Where are Dave and Joe and Blah and King Rein with their sketches? Are the boys ditching this class? They'll pay if they are!!! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2005/23460-smilie_whip.gif I borrowed JayD's whip!!!

Eyes_rolling_in_fear smiley. Here are a couple of sketches (done earlier) to buy time...these may not be what Jay ordered, but I promise to post sketches soon, done specifically for this class.

Blah

Mary Woodul
06-15-2005, 07:58 AM
Blah, you are excellent at portraits. I like the way they look over newspaper. It looks like what the collage artist do with tranfering lettering over images. Very nice, Blah and good morning! :wave:

Bryarpatch
06-15-2005, 08:13 AM
Stacy, you described me too when you described yourself. Sloooooow at drawing, so sketching is torture. LOL This is a great class and I need to participate! It really is so helpful in getting down ideas for later use. I'm always coming up with beautiful ideas while I'm laying in bed half asleep. If don't sketch them down, they're lost, yet I rarely bother since mine take so long to get enough detail.

Everybody's sketches are so wonderful! Such inspiration! I'd better get practicing. Thanks for the push JayD. :D

Cathie Jones
06-15-2005, 08:56 AM
Thanks for jumping in, Blah. I was hoping you'd post the sketch of the lady reading - I saw that in another thread and really like it. That's an example of a sketch that's good enough to be sold as it is. :clap: Is that your wife?

Bryarpatch, welcome. Glad you can join us. Remember, sketching doesn't have to be 'perfect,' like a finished drawing. It just has to convey an idea.

So, where are the rest of our menfolk? Do you supposed they're together somewhere gettint into mischief??

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2005/23460-smiley_tap_foot.gif

Anita Murphy
06-15-2005, 08:58 AM
CJ - I love the polar bear and penguins.

Judi, adorable kids!

Micki - must have been a good meeting!

Mary - I love the church. Now I call that difficult, getting all the angles right. Nice plant too!

Sults - isn't newspaper wonderful to draw on? I did some seascapes on newspaper with oil pastel (a long time ago) and I just loved the surface.

Blah - great people - I love the second one especially!

Hope I will get some more sketching done today.
See you all later :wave:

Blah
06-15-2005, 09:00 AM
Mary...thank you.

I thought your drawing of the church was wonderful. You were concerned more with what you had left out - the details. The main thing in a sketch is that it is not the finished product but a reference for future development. That being the case, your drawing had captured all the proportions and the location and distribution of the details.

In most architectural work the details repeat themselvesand therefore it would be enough for you to sketch the details in some of the places where they occur and note which detail repeats itself where.

As for your sketch of the potted plant, I repeat myself when I say that you paint with pencils :clap:

Blah

JayD
06-15-2005, 09:06 AM
CJ, you are doing an excellent job leading the class. Let me add to what you said and respond to Stacy--drawing is slow for you because you are used to producing line working drawings for your paintings. You are working toward perfection. With sketches, you dont have to worry about such things because they are irrelevant. Sketching is simply the gathering of an impression--nothing more. Here is an excercise for you Stacy--I want you to draw 10 quick sketches--do them as fast as you can--with your eyes close--use your memory--when you are finished please post the outcome--and dont try to correct your drawings. Leave them as they are.

Bryarpatch--Welcome to Basic 101--please join us and post some sketches!

Blah
06-15-2005, 09:26 AM
Judi, Micki, Cathie and Anita....thank you for looking at the pictures and commenting. Yes, the last sketch I posted was of my wife totally absorbed in her book. She was not aware of my sketching her.

There is a poignant story behind the other picture. The young boy in it had wandered across the border into the neighbouring country and ended up in prison for several years. He was re-united with his father (the man hugging him) when relations between India and Pakistan finally improved after many years.

Cathie...I liked the picture you posted of Dave holding the cymbals :D The 4 Steps to Sketching was very good. I visited Watercolour Magic but could not access the article on sketching.

Judi...you have adorable grandchildren; and you have captured the mood of the place in your sketch :clap:

Micki...nice sketches. I notice that all the verticals lean slightly to the left....perhaps the paper was laid slightly askew on the scanner bed.

Am off now to visit the links suggested by Jay....after which I shall get down to serious sketching.

Blah :wave:

mmcgarrett
06-15-2005, 09:38 AM
You're right, Blah. Actually I was sketching with the paper on a table on my left side (I'm left handed) so everything came out skewed. I usually draw with the paper directly in front of me and had no idea that having it to the side like that would cause a skew like that.

Micki

Mary Woodul
06-15-2005, 11:33 AM
Thank you for your kind words, Blah.

CJ, I got worried this morning when I turned on the news. Did you feel the earthquake?

Hi Anita, Micki, welcome Bryarpatch, :wave:

JayD, I think I will also do the excercise you are suggesting to Stacy because I think I have to loosen up. :D :wave:

Cathie Jones
06-15-2005, 11:42 AM
Thanks, JayD. It's difficult to critique sketches because they really can't be 'wrong,' so I'm happy to have everyone helping.

I visited JayD's links the other night and spent about an hour in the John Singer Sargent site - his work, both painting and sketching, fascinates me! I think I may choose something of his for my 'master' project.

Blah, I especially liked your comments to Mary about the church - it was a great explanation!

I think you have to order the copy of the Watercolor Magazine to get the full sketching article - what they sent in the e-mail newsletter was just the basics. I don't know if they charge postage for mailing out of the US, but they don't charge postage for back copies of their magazines here. I just ordered the sketching magazine they're advertising on their site.

Cathie Jones
06-15-2005, 12:07 PM
I don't know if this will work, but I'll try to post a pic from the Internet from the USGS (United States Geological Survey) site that's a new earthquake prediction map. Hasn't worked too well the last few days! Anyway, near top of California, on the coast, is Eureka. Last night's earthquake was 80 miles out to sea from there, and we're near the bottom of the state, so it was too far away for us to feel it. There was a smaller one near Palm Springs Sunday that I heard (the doors rattled) but didn't feel - it was too far away.

I put a black dot on our approximate location. The yellow area below us is where the quake was Sunday, and the black shape below that is the Salton Sea.

Here's the map:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2005/23460-mapAllCal.jpg

Blah
06-15-2005, 12:21 PM
[QUOTE=Cathie Jones]
I put a black dot on our approximate location. The yellow area below us is where the quake was Sunday, and the black shape below that is the Salton Sea.
[QUOTE]

I can see that the latest quake was some distance away, but apart from distance, intensity is also a factor.

The Sunday quake seems to have been awfully close.

Blah

Judi1957
06-15-2005, 12:30 PM
Mary! :wave: Wonderful potted plant! :clap:
Blah-those are great portraits! :clap:
Bryarpatch-WELCOME!!! :D

Hi JayD, Anita an Micki :wave:

CJ-I didn't know about the earthquakes-Sunday's was close though. :(
-how far from the SA fault are you?
I really liked the sketching instructions you posted-Thanks! :)

Cathie Jones
06-15-2005, 12:34 PM
Little maps are deceiving, I guess. The big quake near Eureka was about 1,200 miles from us. The one near Palm Springs on Sunday was about 90 miles away, which is why we felt it a little - I only heard doors rattle. It was just a matter of time with the earth moving everywhere else - it gets around to us eventually. However, we have much more stringent building codes than, say, Turkey, or even Japan, so there isn't as much damage as in other places. For example, there wasn't any damage reported from the 5.6 on Sunday, which would have brought down whole towns and killed people in other countries. :eek:

Okay, class . . . back to sketching. Sorry about the geological side-trip, I just didn't want anyone worrying about us.

Mary Woodul
06-15-2005, 12:35 PM
CJ, well I hope that was the end of that. There is a volcano about four hours from here that has been erupting, very close to the Pacific Coast in Colima.

mothsailor
06-15-2005, 02:08 PM
I read somewhere that watercolour pencils are good for sketching, so I thought I'd give them a try. Here is the result! It's supposed to be Durham Cathedral. :rolleyes: Despite appearances, it is a beautiful spot; must be one of the best views in England, in fact. Which is why I wanted to sketch it, of course. Actually, although the towers look like they are flat, I enjoyed trying these new toys. I've got one of those brushes that you can put water in the handle, and that seems to work well.

Everyone is doing great work, as ever. Don't have time to comment on everyone's work just now, but wanted to say that I really like Blah's newspaper sketches. :clap: :clap:

Cathie Jones
06-15-2005, 02:13 PM
:clap: Hi Dave! We've been waiting for you . . .

I don't think the towers look flat. Glad you got along well with watercolor pencils - I don't! I use them for small detail areas on paintings, but that's about it. I use a water brush for wetting small areas that I want to scrub out - to correct a small error or create a small highlight.

Come back and play more soon . . .

Reinhard1
06-15-2005, 02:20 PM
Hi guys, "coming in with both hands over my ears because them earlobes hurt so much by being pulled over here"
I'm so sorry for not having been part of this outspoken and fun group, but...... I'm no sketcher. I tried often enough but the only thing I am interested in- so far - is drawing protraits, and this I do from photos since I need to take my time. I have not only one, but 2 sketchbooks and I really never use them. When I start, I want it always to be as close to my abilities as possible, sketching is "offing" me.

Reinhard1
06-15-2005, 02:23 PM
and here are some more. And now you knwo why I'm not too crazy about sketches.

Cathie Jones
06-15-2005, 02:50 PM
Yippeeeee . . . the gang's (almost) all here!!! :clap: There are still a couple of people missing, and they had better be guarding their earlobes!!! ;)

Rein, don't be so hard on yourself. Your sketches are great! DaVinci couldn't have done better, and sometimes didn't! Go through the links that JayD provided at the beginning of the class and see for yourself. Some famous artists' sketches are barely recognizable.

Thank you for participating - especially since it's not a subject you like. I know how that feels. But really, your sketches are good.

(Sorry about the earlobe thing! :evil: )

Reinhard1
06-15-2005, 03:42 PM
C.J., you got me here but we are still missing you at the "where did we come from...." thread. :eek: :eek: :eek: Think of them earlobes .... :evil: :evil: :evil: :angel:

Cathie Jones
06-15-2005, 04:32 PM
C.J., you got me here but we are still missing you at the "where did we come from...." thread. :eek: :eek: :eek: Think of them earlobes .... :evil: :evil: :evil: :angel:

Ouch! Okay, I give up . . . I'll read through it tonight and post my 'where from.' :D

jmfletch
06-15-2005, 05:23 PM
Where are Dave and Joe and Blah and King Rein with their sketches? Are the boys ditching this class? They'll pay if they are!!! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2005/23460-smilie_whip.gif I borrowed JayD's whip!!

Yippeeeee . . . the gang's (almost) all here!!! :clap: There are still a couple of people missing, and they had better be guarding their earlobes!!! ;)

Reporting as ordered!!

CJ....No Earlobe pulling !!!! My ears are big enough already!!!:D Honest.

Wow!!! You guys are all doing terrific!!!:clap: :clap: Just today I got to go to travel around the world including Tahitian islands, English castles and Mexican churches! :)

I am finding sketchig very hard. The first two assignements seemed easy at first until I realised I was drawing quickly not sketching, Hope that makes sense to somebody.:D

Earlier today I went to get some work done on the car and sketched in the waiting room. I think these are really sketches but they are also not very good, when I look at them all I see is what's wrong with them!!!

Anyone else this frustrated with what sounds so easy?

Joe

sultry
06-15-2005, 05:46 PM
Gee Wizzzzz CJ you are a strict one lol (Inserts coming in with my tail behind my legs smiley)
Ok, you got me, I was not in class but umm I did sketch a lil today, honest, infact, RR sketched in the same thread here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276220&page=1&pp=40). He is post #46 & I am post #52.
You see I use sketching as a helping tool for lil things I do not want to do on a piece I am working on. So I will do things like this and practice stuff before I apply it to my picture. I also do lil sketches to help if I can with a demo. :)
Wow all of you are doing great sketches by the way....
Blah I see you have your newspaper masterpieces here now and some other good ones. Blah the father and son pic shows love but after reading what it was about it brought tears to my eyes.
I must tell you about my great Aunt, you see she always told us to never leave a loved one unhappy always say goodbye.
My great aunt and uncle were arguing and he was leaving and she was so mad she was giving him the silent treatment. So when he left, to Mexico for a weekend trip with their son, she figured he would come back Monday and make up to her.
Well, Monday came and quite many more with out a word from him or her son. Finally after 3 mths they found out my uncle had had an accident in Mexico and the police had taken him and the son into a jail and just laid them on a cold slab. My great uncle was hurt really bad and eventually he died.
My great cousin, survived and when they found him they heard what had happened. As you have this drawing I pictured my great uncle being held by his older brothers when they found him.
This drove my aunt to not forgive herself to say good bye to him and also to plant it in anyones head who would listen. Never forget to say goodbye (you never know if it will be the last time you see them). Never be so proud and use a silent treatment if you or they are going somewhere, even to the store. You never know if they will come back.
Hiyas Dave, I like your castle nice colors too.
Oooh how cute the Panda is Joe.
RR your sketches are very good and you should be proud of them.
Hiyas Judi I like your tree sketch. Darline photo of kids too.
Hey Mary, I thought you meant a Mexican taco stand vendor with a burro and sombrero. & Nice church sketch too.
ok if I left anyone out catch you on next round.

mothsailor
06-15-2005, 06:02 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2005/52179-pirate.jpg
Yes, CJ is certainly keeping us in line! Of course, we love it really. :D

Judi1957
06-15-2005, 07:26 PM
Evening All!
Wow CJ! You are really doing a great job here-and you brought back our guys!!!

Dave-you did a great job on the Castle! :clap: Welcome back Giff King! :D

REINHARD-what the heck are you talking about??? Those are extraordinary sketches! :clap: :clap:

Joe-Those are great sketches too-all of them. :clap:

Hi Sults-I saw your knit one pearl two in Dee's thread w/ Rein-LOL.
That is such a sad story about your Uncle and cousin. :(

Well I did a little sketching though not near what you all did (CJ and her whip seem rather effective! :D )
It has been miserably hot and I am still working a lot (good excuses-eh Joe :wink2: )

I messed the horses legs up so bad I tore them off of the pad. :D I bought the micron pens-and I really have been enjoying using them-but there is only so much you can 'fix'.
The second sketch is pencil an I did it within the past year.

I'm sorry CJ, please no whip-I will work hard on it tonight!

sultry
06-15-2005, 07:31 PM
Hiyas Judi :) I think your horsey looks like he is behind a fence. So no problem at all.
love that landscape sketch wow that looks finished to me.
CJ is really doing a terrific job I think she has the ruler out that is why class is behaving so well. lol
Don't worry CJ, I am not the rowdy one I am the :angel: lol:D (I can just see Judi's eyes going :rolleyes: )

Judi1957
06-15-2005, 07:33 PM
:rolleyes: Nope-Sults is NOT a rowdy one :rolleyes:

I'm waiting for Anita to shake up the Class! :D

jmfletch
06-15-2005, 07:35 PM
Judi - I really like the feeling of the landscape sketch!!:clap:

You do have to work on your excuses. What is this "working" thing???
But you let my excuses fly so I guess you are off the hook :( ....at least until "Teach CJ" shows up.:cat: I think you will be in trouble for tearing your pen & ink!!! :evil:
Joe

jmfletch
06-15-2005, 07:38 PM
Don't worry CJ, I am not the rowdy one I am the :angel: lol:D (I can just see Judi's eyes going :rolleyes: )

WHAT???

Where's Dave when I need a credible witness???? Dave who started the food fight a few threads back? Sgt Sults right? ....That's what I remember:angel: :angel:

:angel: :angel: Joe:angel: :angel:

Judi1957
06-15-2005, 07:41 PM
Food fight-what did I miss????

Thanks Joe and Sgt Sults! :D

CJ gonna YELL at me? Oh well, I've worn a dunce cap before! :D
At least I didn't tear up Pat.

sultry
06-15-2005, 07:45 PM
Uhhh Uhhhhhh (inserts shaking head smiley) :angel: It was not me.....,
Turns the corner walks out the door & pokes back in when no one is looking & throws a pie at Joe. :p I made custard pie today too. So it is nice & gooey :evil:

jmfletch
06-15-2005, 07:55 PM
Ducking and running for cover....:angel:

Return fire!!! Lobbing back handfuls of Chocolate pudding!! ...and dashing for the exit!!

Hmmmm custard tastes good.:)

psssst CJ - Please note that once again Sults started this. :angel: :angel: Joe:angel: :angel:

Fireman's kid
06-15-2005, 09:00 PM
Hi all! This thread is zipping right along. I noticed that all was calm until those boys showed up. They are always causing trouble. Not to worry Sults - I know you are innocent. (Ducking in case Joe throws anything my way. Although I do like the taste of chocolate pudding. :D )

So I tried to do some quick sketching today. Will post it below. The smiley face I drew next to the plant tells you how I feel about it. It still seems like everything I try to draw turns out wrong. I wish my muse would come back from whatever fabulous vacation she is on. :( Or at the very least she could send for me so I could be on vacation too. :D

When I got here tonight I read the posts I had missed and found this suggestion from JayD...
Sketching is simply the gathering of an impression--nothing more. Here is an excercise for you Stacy--I want you to draw 10 quick sketches--do them as fast as you can--with your eyes close--use your memory--when you are finished please post the outcome--and dont try to correct your drawings. Leave them as they are.
Being an accused (although not admitted :evil: ) perfectionist, I found I had to put my head down to keep from passing out from the hyperventilating. :p Yikes, what a scary suggestion. Eyes close...from my imagination...no fixing?!?!? GULP!

But since I want to learn and the saying is no pain, no gain...I'll give it a try.

Mary, I'd be really happy if you would try it too. You know that other saying...Misery loves company. :D

By the way, CJ was mentioning that she had managed to round up most of the active classmates but I realized earlier today that we hadn't seen Connie here yet. Anyone know if she's been around elsewhere? Or if she is away or something. I thought of her because I bet her sketches are great. (insert cupping hands to mouth smilie) Connie, where are you??

Okay, off to try some blind imagination sketches to see if I can do it without passing out. If I survive, I'll be back tomorrow. :)

Cathie Jones
06-15-2005, 09:29 PM
(Duck Stacy - pies are flying in here!!! Good job with your sketches - I knew you could do it!! Now go back through the thread and look at everyone else's sketches. Relax and have fun!)

In addition to Connie we're missing Jolanta - wonder where she went?

Well, it looks like my job here is just about done. Only the third day and we've dragged people in kicking and screaming with punctured earlobes, brandished a whip and a sword, torn the legs off a horse, and instigated a food fight. :eek:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2005/23460-smiley_devil.gif

Did I tell you this class would be fun????

But the main thing is that EVERYONE IS SKETCHING! :clap: :clap: :clap:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2005/23460-smiley_clap_hands.gif

You all have my utmost respect (well, most of you anyway). :D

Any of you who think your sketches are not worthy of being posted remember this: Sketches are sometimes works are art that can stand on their own as a finished product, but their main job is to convey a thought, or capture a moment, or try out an idea before putting it on good paper. They help you to perfect a technique (as in Rein's 'eyes and lips').

Look at Mary's church. She'll never forget when and why she was there, or what the church looks like. And how about Blah's wife reading? It's not a perfect oil painting or watercolor, but it's a moment in time that he'll never forget - and now we won't either.

Okay, that's all. I'm getting all emotional and my eyes are starting to leak thinking about all of these wonderful sketches.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2005/23460-smiley_cry_tissues.gif

JayD
06-15-2005, 09:54 PM
Wow, you guys are really kickin' here--CJ--great job leading the class--

1. When you draw glass Present dont look a the glass itself--focus on drawing only the shape that you see are reflected. Glass always follows the reflective path of its environment.

For those of you interested in a good reference book--consider Lee Hammond's newest Tome Lifelike drawing with Lee Hammond. I have never been a big Lee Hammond Fan but this book is her master piece. She covers surfaces and textures from all sorts of subjects from animal to people to glass to water to still life to hair. If you get the chance, check this book. I am completely sold on it.

Micki, like your sketches--they are simple and clean. You have a tendancy to lean to one side with your hand (hold the sketches up to the mirror). Do some more of these types of sketches and use a centerline to keep things straight and then post them for us again. Again, very nice.

Mary, wonderful church sketches--by the way--I AM GLAD that you did not go for the detail. You want to do the simple working drawing first and then add the detail--by the way go back to this church and sketch the details as SEPARATE sketches without the churs--then go back an and see if you can combine the two in a working drawing. Btw--I love the simple plants--dont get El Gory. :D

Dave--welcome back!! I have an assignment for you--I want you to look up the work of Grinling Gibbons and then do some sketches for us. He is an English artist so I figure you may know who he is. I saw your sketch of the cathredral and that is what has inspired me to give you this assignment.

Blah, I have never seen your newspaper sketches before. You should mount, frame and sell these. I bet you could move quite a few of these. :clap: :clap: Hey, I just saw the other two--the portrait with the hand--hands help add that extra zip to portraits and the girl with her feet up? Superb!

Rein--these are all so diverse. Excellent work! My favorite is number four--I feel like I am getting to see you thinking your way through the drawing. Watching an artist's process is always an honor for me. On the second set, I like number three--working drawings--you are thinking about a project and this will lead up to something.

Joe--could not resist commenting on the panda--love it!! All these are basic and simple which is what they should be. When you do something a little more intense you can go back and you will have books filled with hand references from your world--some artists keep sketchbooks dedicated to specific subjects. If you are into gardening for example, consider keeping a gardners journel. You do drawing of all the plants and comment on them--ilustrate planting, landscape ect...

Judi--I love the horse drawing--you kept it very loose but I am really loving that landscape--would make a great painting.

Stacy. these are not bad. I love the frownly sketch! :D One thing--the drawing look a bit tight like you concentrated too hard to get them right. on you next sketched move the concentration away from the pencel and work from your elbow--keep your moves brief and broad. :)

CJ--you are the sketchamatrix--crack that whip and keep em in line. VERY nice work leading the class! Everybody give her a big hand!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Judi1957
06-15-2005, 09:54 PM
Hi CJ and Stacey, :wave:

Stacey-Nice sketches-I can't wait to see what you come up with. The whole thing sounds pretty scarey. However (a story) I read an article in Artist's Magazine of a woman who was blind and painted-and her work was beautiful! Truly amazing.

CJ-Told you I would sketch tonight :angel: (and I was not involved in the food fight) :angel: :angel:
Not much-but I had a bit to do around the house and cook and clean (right Sults :wink2: )

JayD
06-15-2005, 09:58 PM
Judi, these are fabulous--I like number 2 the best--the one of the girl--you should consider this for a colored pencil piece. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Judi1957
06-15-2005, 10:02 PM
GO GO GO CJ!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks JayD :)

Cathie Jones
06-15-2005, 10:02 PM
Aw, JayD, yer makin' me blush! :o I'm just having fun here . . .

Y'all listen up . . . Judi has just made Teacher's Pet status. She stayed out of the food fight . . . and wouldja look at those sketches!!!

Fantastic, Judi!!! Now I have to go do some sketching to see if I can catch up with my classmates!! And the rest of you would do well to do the same!! :evil: :D

Oops - we all posted at the same time. I like the fence best and the house second.

Cathie Jones
06-15-2005, 11:16 PM
As if you haven't heard enough from me today -
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2005/23460-smiley_talk_too_much.gif

Here are a couple of sketches that I did tonight.
1. I went to the koi pond intending to sketch the pond and some of the area around it, but went too late and the sun was in my eyes. So I turned a little and - with a medium charcoal pencil - sketched a rock with a plant and fence behind it.
2. A roosterhead pitcher that was a recent gift from a friend. It has a lot more detail than I've shown, but you get the idea. Mechanical pencil.

And a reminder of JayD's assignments for this class:

1. Do a sketch of a single object.

2. Do sketch of multiple objects

3. Do a landscape sketch

4. Do a people sketch indoors

5. Do a people sketch outdoors

6. Finally, pick the best of your sketches and do a “finished” piece in your favorite medium.

Fireman's kid
06-15-2005, 11:28 PM
Hi! I'm back and I've already done my homework from Jay. :angel: Trying to knock Judi off her new throne. :evil:

Jay, you are right, my previous sketches were tight because I was concentrating trying to get the shapes right (and I still didn't). I even erased the circle for the frownie face once. :o

Judi - your sketches are wonderful. So loose but capture the essence of what you are drawing. I love the house (is it yours?). It looks a bit like the one I am drawing for my commission. The syle I'm drawing is Dutch Colonial. I've already started it 4 different times and still haven't got that peak on the side right. :rolleyes:

I also love that bowl next to the apple and the fence with flowers and...oh never mind - they are all great! :)

And I agree CJ does deserve a big hand :clap: :clap: :clap: CJ you are a great subbie!

So for my assignment...First what I learned. I was nervous to start, but after the first one that went away. I obviously survived and even had fun! Gasp! The main thing I noticed is that when i was drawing with my eyes closed I was concentrating so hard on where my pencil had been (so I could try to place things right and make them line up), that I didn't have any brain left over to be critical. When I draw with my eyes open I am instantly critical - from the first mark I put on the paper. Even when I opened my eyes, I found that if the lines were close to being in the right place I was happy. And I like the look of these sketches better. They are much more expressive than my last set. I had so much fun that I did 12 instead of the required 10. :angel:

I labeled and numbered them in order on the paper but some of the words got cut off by the scan.

1. watch
2. lamp
3. doll
4. toothbrush
5. paintbrush
6. glasses
7. basket with napkins in it
8. spiral sketchbook
9. lightswitch
10. dresser
11. flag pillow with ruffle
12. another basket

Some of the objects were from my memory/imagination, but some (#s 3, 9, 10 & 12) were in my bedroom where I was drawing so I looked at them closely for a minute or two before closing my eyes. Was that cheating boss?

Some other notes...for the lamp and the paintbrush, I opened my eyes to get a starting point for the shading. The doll I opened my eyes to get a starting point for the dress after the head and hat were done. The pillow I opened my eyes to get a starting point for the flag in the middle. And the dresser I opened my eyes to get a starting point for the first drawer after the outline was done. Everything else was done with no peeking at all.

After I finished the eyes closed drawing I tried a quick loose sketch of the last basket with my eyes open. I took no more than 10 minutes, maybe closer to 5, which is lightening quick for me. The shape is all off but I think it is good enough that I would remember it for later. And I am happy that I caught the essence of the weaving. Obviously it is not as loose as the eyes closed stuff, but looser than the first 2 sketches I posted.

The last thing I want to add to this already dreadfully long post is a thank you to Jay. Jay these eyes closed sketches are the first thing I've drawn in weeks that I've actually enjoyed and had fun with. I've been missing that feeling sooo badly so I really appreciate that you helped me find it again. I enjoyed this so much that I will probably do more sketches. But don't worry...I won't punish you all by posting them. I'll only post the eyes open ones from here on out.

I recommend that everyone try this assignment. It's a blast!
:)

Cathie Jones
06-15-2005, 11:51 PM
Excellent, Stacy!!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2005/23460-mardigator_small.gif

I'm so glad you had fun - in fact, it looks like so much fun I think I'll try it! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2005/23460-Smiley_blindfold.gif

mothsailor
06-16-2005, 04:10 AM
Dave--welcome back!! I have an assignment for you--I want you to look up the work of Grinling Gibbons and then do some sketches for us. He is an English artist so I figure you may know who he is. I saw your sketch of the cathredral and that is what has inspired me to give you this assignment.

CJ--you are the sketchamatrix--crack that whip and keep em in line. VERY nice work leading the class! Everybody give her a big hand!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yes, I know Gibbons; he's a very famous woodcarver, worked in the 17th century. His work is found in many great houses and churches in England. Did he use any other media? I've never seen anything by him other than woodcarving. I'll see if I can dig something up to sketch.

And I agree about CJ! Great job!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Glad I missed the food fight; rowdy behaviour is just not my thing. :angel: :angel:

JayD
06-16-2005, 07:03 AM
Stacy, I am very pleased with and, yes, please post more of these. You next phase is to move somewhere out of your element to draw. Find a subject that you almost would never consider drawing (making sure that you do no unintentionally violate the Comstock Act!) and then sketch like this: Take your subject and sketch it but DO NOT look at your pad until the session is finished. Give yourself 10-20 minutes for this excercise. I have noticed the tightness in your drawing for sometime--I noticed it with that fabulous house that you did in perspective. You are highly organized by my standards and your drawing reflect that--nothing wrong with that but you should try to search for diversity to keep zip and surprise for your viewrs. In other words, if you usually pitch the baseball with your right hand, throw the batter off track by, every once in a while, pitching with your left hand.

Dave, Grinling Gibbons is THE master of woodcarving in m personal opinion. I picked him out for you because I felt that you might be up to the task of taking on the master. By the way, I said he might be british but, in fact, his nationality was Dutch--big surprise. But he is noted for his association with the likes of Sir Christopher Wren and Sir John Evelyn. By the way, apparently he was also very handsome.

mothsailor
06-16-2005, 07:39 AM
Dave, Grinling Gibbons is THE master of woodcarving in m personal opinion. I picked him out for you because I felt that you might be up to the task of taking on the master. By the way, I said he might be british but, in fact, his nationality was Dutch--big surprise. But he is noted for his association with the likes of Sir Christopher Wren and Sir John Evelyn. By the way, apparently he was also very handsome.

Actually there are some examples of his work in Oxford, so I might even be able to do some sketching from the real thing if I can find the time. I knew he was Dutch, but didn't know he was handsome!

sultry
06-16-2005, 08:00 AM
Great sketches Judi I like the doll house & lil girl too. :)

Hey Stacy I like your blind sketches :) the toothbrush looks like my old one I use to clean the bathroom tiles with. lol

Dave looking forward to more of your wonderful sketches.

CJ, Oh oh guess I am in detention, JayD did not even acknowledge me. :crying:

Cathie Jones
06-16-2005, 08:40 AM
CJ, Oh oh guess I am in detention, JayD did not even acknowledge me. :crying:

Throw a pie at him!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2005/23460-applepie.gif

sultry
06-16-2005, 08:52 AM
:evil: giggles

edited...CJ I love the fish in your signature where can I see the larger versions?

Cathie Jones
06-16-2005, 09:03 AM
Good morning, Sults!

Thanks for asking about the paintings - I have a page on our website. It's here: watercolors (http://www.americanrag.com/watercolor_gallery.htm)

Anita Murphy
06-16-2005, 09:17 AM
CJ - now that Sults mentioned your fish - how did you enjoy doing the marbles? I did the marbles in acrylics - nearly lost mine in the process. Oh and you way undercharge!!!!

I am behind on posting sketches - computer is down again! Husbands computer doesn't have my camera software so I can't upload anything :(

Cathie Jones
06-16-2005, 12:11 PM
Hi Anita! :wave: Glad you're here, we were missing you - post when you can.

Thanks for the 'undercharge' comment - that's quite a compliment. I loved painting the marbles. In fact, I did two of them, different views. Haven't tried acrylics or oils yet - someday I'll get there. Right now I try to stick to drawing, and only paint when I can't stand the lack of color anymore! :D

Judi1957
06-16-2005, 12:23 PM
Hi! I'm back and I've already done my homework from Jay. :angel: Trying to knock Judi off her new throne. :evil:
:)
All yours Stacy! :D

and thanks :)
No-not my house-it's the house across the street.
Good luck on the roof-I know you'll get it. That style of roof is called mansard.
Will you show us the commision when you are done, please? You do such beautiful work.
And even with your eyes closed! :clap: :clap:

Hi Mary, Dave, JayD, Sults and Anita :wave:

Judi1957
06-16-2005, 01:05 PM
By the way, the paper I used on these sketches is a thin handmade paper that I made myself and then crudely bound into a sketchbook. Fun stuff! Will never do that again!

JayD- Handmade paper? How do you do that?-just curious.

Mary Woodul
06-16-2005, 03:18 PM
What an afternoon, you all had yesterday. :eek: I'm going to post these and them I getting out quickly before the pie fight starts again today. :rolleyes:

Dave, your sketch of the castle is very good and with cp it must no be that easy.

Reinhard, I agree with Judi, I don't know what you're talking about, your sketches are outstanding.

Joe, I feel the same about scketching, it seems very hard for me, but I love your sketch of the couple in the waiting room.

Hi :wave: Sults, no they don't allow those vendors in the plazas anymore. the vendor I was talking about, before the man in uniform waved to me to get out of there, was a man on a bike that had a glass box on his bike full of churros and an umbrella attached to it also. El Gory just caught my eye because I was trying to park behind him but I don't think it was permitted so I took the picture and left.

Judi, your sketches are beautiful and you have finished the assignment. :envy:

Stacy, you did very well with that exercise, I should still think of doing it also.

CJ, you are one very special subby, thank you, and I think you have the guys under control. :evil: Those are very nice sketches also.

JayD, thank you! I like the idea of drawing the decorative elements of the church seperately. They are beautiful and very elaborate, so I will try to do that.

Hi Anita, hope your computer problems get fixed, that can be very annoying.

Here is my group sketch and a landscape sketched from my roof.
The group sketch are things I have on my coffee table. An elephant, very badly sketched, that is beautifully carved and is from India. The fossil is a 90,000,000 year fossil from the Chihuahua Desert and my favorite elephant foot plant. The eye and the little girl in pigtails I tried from memory but it didn't work.

Well I better get going before the rowdy one's show up. :angel:

mothsailor
06-16-2005, 03:31 PM
Thanks Mary. Looks like you have a great view from your roof. :clap:

Here is my next sketch, this time done in ink. :wave:

Mary Woodul
06-16-2005, 03:48 PM
Wow, Dave, that one is ready to frame. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cathie Jones
06-16-2005, 04:13 PM
Hi Mary! I'm nowhere near having anyone under control around here (including myself, I'm afraid! :rolleyes: ) but thanks anyway!

I like your coffee table and the explanation of the items on it. I recognized the elephant, so you can't have done too badly on it. And your landscape is beautiful - it could easily be worked into a completed drawing!

Dave - you found an interesting subject, good composition, and turned it into a first-class sketch! Is it all ink, or is there a watercolor wash? Whichever - I like it!

I still need to do some people. And dogs. I want to sketch my dogs. This working stuff sure gets in the way of things I 'want' to do!!! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2005/23460-smiley_type.gif

mothsailor
06-16-2005, 04:31 PM
Dave - you found an interesting subject, good composition, and turned it into a first-class sketch! Is it all ink, or is there a watercolor wash? Whichever - I like it!

It's all ink -- fountain pen and then water brushed over it.

Cathie Jones
06-16-2005, 04:47 PM
I agree with Mary - that one's ready to frame!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

mothsailor
06-16-2005, 05:33 PM
JayD, here's an attempt at a sketch of a piece of work by Gibbons. I didn't get a chance to sketch any of his pieces in Oxford, so this is from a photograph of something in Cambridge; I think it's from the Wren Library in Trinity College. To be honest, I found it a difficult subject to sketch; there is so much detail that it would really need hours of painstaking study to do it justice. It's always a pleasure to study his work, though! As a woodcarver yourself, do you know why lime wood was used so often (maybe it still is)?

Cathie Jones
06-16-2005, 05:42 PM
Your sketch certainly gives us an impression of the real thing, which is what it's all about. I'll have to look up a photo of his work.

I had the same problem with my rooster pitcher. It doesn't appear to have as much detail as the carving, but enough that it would take much work to get all the detail in the right places! :rolleyes:

FYI - in case anyone hears news of another earthquake - there was a 5.3 today, closer than the last one, but we're okay. No damage reported so far. ;)

mothsailor
06-16-2005, 05:44 PM
FYI - in case anyone hears news of another earthquake - there was a 5.3 today, closer than the last one, but we're okay. No damage reported so far. ;)

Glad to hear it. Get those earthquakes over and done with before I get there!

Cathie Jones
06-16-2005, 05:50 PM
We're working on it, Dave! I know you'll be here in about 2-1/2 weeks, will you be near L.A.?

Mary Woodul
06-16-2005, 06:15 PM
Hi CJ, hope that will the last of the earthquakes.

Your other sketch is also very good. Dave you mentioned using a fountain pen. I just finished addressing all of my son's wedding invitations in sepia ink with a fountain pen. After looking all over town for a fountain pen I remembered my husband had two that were given to him as gifts so I used one of those. I love the way it glides and you just gave me a good idea, because I don't know what I'm going to do with a big bottle of sepia ink.

I'll try my cat tomorrow if you don't mind me copying you.

JayD
06-16-2005, 06:38 PM
I would just use the pen. I dont think the cat will like it when you dip him in sepia ink.

Cathie Jones
06-16-2005, 06:44 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2005/23460-smiley_too_funny.gif
I would just use the pen. I dont think the cat will like it when you dip him in sepia ink.

JayD
06-16-2005, 06:46 PM
Limewood has good grain and takes a knife easily without so much constant resharpening. All around, it is a very versitile wood. Study Grinling's work carefully and you will see that he achieves a level of thiness that just cant be gotten in other comparable woods. It has been said that his wood was carved so fine that a slight breeze could make the leaves of his carvings rustle. It has a very friendly grain and finishes extremely well. Take into mind that in his day equivalent power tools were run by treadle so things like cutting patterns were very, very difficult. An interesting aside about the UK--for a long time your forests were protected by royalty and it was illegal to obtain wood from those sources--you WERE allowed to obtain branches things that were LOOSE from the tree. To get at these a person would take a shepherd hood and reach up and pull down the wanted wood and so was born the phrase "by hook or by crook".

JayD
06-16-2005, 06:55 PM
Sults, the old age is kicking in--I AKNOWLEGE YOU!!!!!--however, I cant find your sketch and I DO want to see it--can someone point this old scarecrow in the right direction?

Mary Woodul
06-16-2005, 06:55 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2005/23460-smiley_too_funny.gif
JayD, I'll just use CJ icon, now that borrowing from others. :clap: :clap:

Judi1957
06-16-2005, 09:15 PM
Hi Mary :wave: I like your sketches and I think the elephant turned out very well. Same for your landscape :clap:
-and WOW what a view you have!

Dave-the guitar and amp are absolutley fabulous! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: as is the wood carving-you are so excellent at sketching!

CJ, I know what you mean about time-I just got home and I left home this morning at 6:15am. :(
I missed yous sketches-sorry-both are very good! :clap: The plant and rock are nice and loose to goose and I love the rooster-what a nice gift.

JayD-Thanks for the lesson-I never knew where the phrase came from-though we all use it.
and how do you make handmade paper? :confused:

Anita :wave: hope all gets fixed soon!

JayD
06-16-2005, 09:23 PM
there are a number of ways to make paper--basically, we create a mix of different papers into a mash and then we lay it over a screen to dry--you can create many different textures and colors this way--there are tons of books out there on the process. While we are on the subject of papers and sketchbooks everybody CONSIDER making your own sketch books. You dont have to make the paper--but take your favorite papers and load them into a notebook or creat a variety so that you can test ones that you always want to try--sort of a sampler.

JayD
06-16-2005, 09:26 PM
CJ--I am going to have to send you a set of water wings enclosed in a glass box reading "break in case of Sunami" so that it that happens you can continue to sub the class.

Judi1957
06-16-2005, 10:39 PM
Evening All :wave:
Here is a sketch of a little girl I saw here at WC who I thought was absolutely as cute as a button. I can't help doing people.

JayD
06-16-2005, 10:45 PM
Judi, do you remember the first class on drawing a line--then you had to go back and do a picture that is all lines--here is a great example of a sketch drawn that way--by golly, I think we have come full circle. You're right--she is a real cutie--your sketching does her justice.

Cathie Jones
06-16-2005, 11:26 PM
JayD, not to worry - if the San Andreas Fault goes, I'll have beachfront property, and if there's a tsunami, the mountains will stop it before it gets to me. You couldn't beat me off with a big stick now - I'm having too much fun with this class!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2005/23460-smiley_teacher_class.gif

Judi, that child is beautiful! And, yes, we do appear to be back to Lesson 1 with the lines! I'm beginning to wish I could draw people as well as you do! :clap:

I'm going in search of directions for people sketching now . . . I know I have them somewhere from our first body drawing lesson. (Sheeeesh . . . what kind of artist am I? I couldn't remember that it was called 'figure' drawing!)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2005/23460-Smiley_DUH.gif

How is everyone doing? Are you having a good time? Isn't it time for more sketch postings? Don't make me come after you!! :evil: ;) Now I'm off to sketch something (anything!) before I have to pinch my own earlobe!!! :D

mothsailor
06-17-2005, 08:03 AM
Evening All :wave:
Here is a sketch of a little girl I saw here at WC who I thought was absolutely as cute as a button. I can't help doing people.

Hey, I recognise that girl! Thanks, Judi, that's a wonderful sketch. Can't wait to show it to Sarah!

mothsailor
06-17-2005, 08:06 AM
Limewood has good grain and takes a knife easily without so much constant resharpening. All around, it is a very versitile wood. Study Grinling's work carefully and you will see that he achieves a level of thiness that just cant be gotten in other comparable woods. It has been said that his wood was carved so fine that a slight breeze could make the leaves of his carvings rustle. It has a very friendly grain and finishes extremely well. Take into mind that in his day equivalent power tools were run by treadle so things like cutting patterns were very, very difficult. An interesting aside about the UK--for a long time your forests were protected by royalty and it was illegal to obtain wood from those sources--you WERE allowed to obtain branches things that were LOOSE from the tree. To get at these a person would take a shepherd hood and reach up and pull down the wanted wood and so was born the phrase "by hook or by crook".

Thanks for the information, JayD...I never knew that!

CJ, I'm going to be in the Bay Area, not LA. It's just possible we might make it down that far south at some point...I'd really like to visit the Getty, apart from anything else, but I doubt we'll have time.

Anita Murphy
06-17-2005, 09:58 AM
Finally got my computer sorted out - fingers crossed!

CJ - another earthquake! Guess your world is getting a little shaky!

Dave - the guitar and amp are great. Love the oak leaves too.

Judi - your sketch of Dave's daughter is lovely.

Hi Mary, Sults and everyone else!

mothsailor
06-17-2005, 10:52 AM
Anita, those are great! I could just eat an apple right now... How did you do the water drops? Is it watercolour?

Anita Murphy
06-17-2005, 10:59 AM
Dave - the water drops were coloured pencil, graphite and acrylic. I found a great tutorial on water drops and just had to have a play with them.

Cathie Jones
06-17-2005, 11:34 AM
Here's a link to Rod Webb's watercolor raindrops (http://www.wetcanvas.com/ArtSchool/Watercolors/RodWebb/Raindrops/) - same principle applies to other mediums. Give it a try - it's fun!!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2005/23460-smiley_rain.gif

Cathie Jones
06-17-2005, 12:10 PM
Sorry, Anita - I didn't mean to ignore you . . . I especially like the apples. The perspective on the pitcher is interesting, and difficult to achieve. Good job! And, of course, the raindrops are great - it's so much fun to achieve a special effect like that!

I don't know if you can see it clearly, but here's a rose I painted for a co-worker's mother a couple of years ago - there's a raindrop on one of the outside left side petals . . .

Judi1957
06-17-2005, 12:38 PM
Afternoon All :wave:

Thanks JayD, didn't even put the old lesson and this sketch together in my mind but I see it now. I am glad for the comparison though as the lined drawing in the old class took lot's of time and much concentration. This sketch was done in less than a half hour and as you see - Dave recognised her-so I am happy. :D

Dave-Glad you like the sketch and recognised Sarah. :D She is such a lovely girl and I loved the costume and pose. You should consider putting the photo in the RIL. Really beautiful girl! Hope she likes it too. :)

Anita-Those are all really great! :clap: :clap: and so glad you are back in commission. :)

Hi Sults! :wave: :wave: :wave:

HI CJ!!!!!! Thanks! And thanks for the link on the droplets! The rose is awesome! Love that pink! :clap: :clap:

Blah
06-17-2005, 01:56 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2005/23460-smiley_teacher_class.gif

Wow!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I thought I would read through the thread (around 70 posts since I was here last; we had no electricity for about 15 hours) before posting my sketches, but then I don't want to see that whip again :D

Blah

Cathie Jones
06-17-2005, 02:10 PM
WOW! :clap: :clap: Blah, you are so good! I don't see any whips in your future!! On the other hand . . . have you done 'multiple objects' yet? I don't remember . . .
Everyone here is doing so great I'm getting left behind! It was too windy to sketch outside last night, so I thought I'd try people. Not good! All of my people drawings look like something a child would do . . . a very young child! Guess I have to go back soon and do the lessons I skipped through. :rolleyes:

Blah
06-17-2005, 02:23 PM
Whew...I have just read through around 70 posts, dodging a pie here and a cake there, so please excuse me if I miss commenting on anyone's work. It is not intentional.

Judi, Dave and Jay...thank you for commenting about my sketches :)

Reinhard, Jim, Judi, Stacy, CJ, Dave, Mary, and Anita...nice sketches from all of you. A few that I liked particularly are Reinhard's sketches 4, 6 & 7; Judi's landscape and Sarah revisited, CJ's rooster pitcher, rock and flower, (and of course the rose, but that is not a sketch); Dave's guitar and amplifier/radio and Gibbon's work;and Anita's pitcher.

Sultry...I found the story about your great uncle very moving and yes, I agree with your great aunt.

Also, thank you for the link to Deirdre's thread.

Stacy...your long post (#103) was wonderful, and I think these are exercises that all of us should try out. I definitely shall.

CJ...thank you for the link to Rod Webbs tutorial on painting raindrops, and for running such a super class :clap:

Blah

Blah
06-17-2005, 02:31 PM
Cathie...thank you. No, I haven't done the multiple objects or any of the others yet. I am planning on doing the multiple objects tomorrow and the landscape on Sunday. The people sketches are scheduled for next week.

Blah

Cathie Jones
06-17-2005, 04:02 PM
Blah, as far as I'm concerned, you've done people. But go for it . . . there's no such thing as too much practice! :D

I keep forgetting that we have another week. I'll be gone all day Sunday, so we'll need a sub-subbie . . . any volunteers?

Judi1957
06-17-2005, 05:36 PM
Hi Super CJ! :angel:
You are leading one great class-and I do believe you were apprehensive
many moons ago about doing this. Crazy huh-you are running it like a pro!
:clap: :clap:

Blah-How great is the carved parrot! He is so cool! Is he from your head or is this an actual object (made of?)?
I like the lantern as well.
Well then ... :clap: :clap:

Couple more.Candle/pedestal, magazine and a clock up on a shelf my brother made me (IRL the clock is perfectly balanced and symmetrical-he is awesome-he made all 5 of us 'kid's' one and two for my parents-each clock is different).

Cathie Jones
06-17-2005, 05:44 PM
Judy, you are so awesome!! More terrific sketches - and that magazine is really fun. Nice story about your brother and the clocks, too.

I'm not really running this class, you know - it's everyone who is participating that's doing the running here - I'm just bringin' 'em in and then sitting back to watch the show unfold.

You all deserve a HUGE pat on the back!!! I bow to your talent!!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2005/23460-smiley_not_worthy.gif

Judi1957
06-17-2005, 05:54 PM
Thanks CJ---That is really nice of you to say that. :) Don't pat me too hard though-I may fall over---long hard week---but you know---the sketching was super relaxing as it needen't be perfect---less stress, and I am a stresser. I can see how this is great practice for 'the real thing'.

Fireman's kid
06-17-2005, 05:58 PM
Just stopping in for a quick hi! I haven't had any more time for sketching - with eyes open or closed. :) Busy weekend ahead with my parents coming into town for the girls' dance recital. Not sure if I'll have time to do anything until next week.

Judi - so you are not the only creative one in your family, huh? Love the clock - both the sketch and the actual. Candle and magazine are good too, but must say the sketch of Dave's daughter is one of my favorites of yours.

Blah - Your sketches are very nice and I think you have "loosened up" considerable since the start of the class so I don't think you need the lesson Jay gave me. But it is really fun so do it anyway. :D

Anita - I'm glad you got your computer working again so we didn't miss those sketches. I love when people fill a whole page of one subject repeated over and over again. I think it looks so neat. That pitcher is fabulous too!

Dave - your sketch of the carving looks great even without the detail. I wouldn't have known anything was missing if you hadn't said.

CJ - Glad you survived yet another earthquake. I heard about it today on a news preview and immediately thought of you. I hope they are done now.

Well, must go cook dinner before the natives get restless. :wave:

jmfletch
06-17-2005, 07:36 PM
Just read through a few days of posts catching up after dodging Sult's pies.:D AWESOME!!! Everyone is really creating some beautiful stuff!!!:clap:

CJ - Great job subbing!:clap: (and I really like the pitcher :) )

Joe--could not resist commenting on the panda--love it!! All these are basic and simple which is what they should be. When you do something a little more intense you can go back and you will have books filled with hand references from your world--some artists keep sketchbooks dedicated to specific subjects. If you are into gardening for example, consider keeping a gardners journel. You do drawing of all the plants and comment on them--ilustrate planting, landscape ect...

JayD -You have given me a great idea!! I collect native american artifacts/crafts/art which includes a few kachinas. I am totally mesmerized by kachinas and have several books on them. I can sketch them!!!! Thanks!!! That will even tie in the figure drawing I have been procastinaing about!!

Judi - AWESOME!!!:clap: and prolific!!!:clap: I think Dave's daughter si the best but they are all terrific!!!
Stacey - Eyes shut???? WOW!!!:clap:

Mary - I really like the landscape, remonds me of the foothills in SoCal!:clap:

Dave - The guitar and Amp look liek soemthing out of an art book!:clap: The Gibbons piece. parrot, and lantern are also excellent!

Anita - WOW!!!!!:clap:

Hope I didn't miss any one as the postings in this lesson are all FANTASTIC!!! I think I am catching whatever Stacey had a while back, cause as I look at what you all are doing I don't think I can sketch anything that good so quickly. As you saw above my sketches are all very very rough. You guys are all creating stuff that could easily be psoted as finished pieces!! GREAT JOB!!

Joe ( trying to get pudding and custard out of sketch book)

Mary Woodul
06-17-2005, 08:42 PM
I don't know where to start, you all have been so busy and so in time with your homework. CJ's whip does miracles. I'll get my people drawing in soon CJ, promise

Judy, I can't get over your beautiful sketch of Sarah, she is such a lovely child.

Anita, your water drops are awsome and the apples are too, those look like a finished drawing.

Blah, your drawings are always so good, I love the parrot.

CJ thanks for the link on the drops and your rose is beautiful

Judi, I just can't believe the way you are producing. I haven't seen anything you can't do right. :envy:

Stacy, have fun and enjoy your parents.

Joe, thank you, yes San Luis' terrain looks very much like the Southwest. You and I have something very much in common. I love the Southwest prehistoric history and people, specially anything pretaining to the Anasazi or their decendants. Can't wait to see your kachinas.

JayD and CJ, I will do my people sketching at the ranch and some more landscapes. See you all Sunday. :wave:

rosebard
06-17-2005, 09:44 PM
:wave: Everyone!! I miss you all!! Just stopped by to say that. I am hooked with old masters painting style. Nevertheless I can only say how much DRAWING BASIC CLASS HERE WITH JAYD AND OTHERS HELPED ME TO LEARN AND IMPROVE. THANKS TO YOU ALL!!:D ;)

Cathie Jones
06-17-2005, 10:57 PM
Okay, people . . . I'm seeing lots of promises including my own but only three have posted sketches today. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2005/23460-smilie_whip.gif

I started a sketch of the sign at a Chinese restaurant after work while I waited for DH, so I'll finish that tonight and get it posted later or in the morning. Have a nice face sketch - and no idea how I did it, I was so deep into the right brain thing it just happened. I'll post that, too, when I get a chance to scan.

How do you get over not wanting to sketch in public because people look at what you're doing and sometimes ask about it? I'm really self-conscious in that respect and can't bring myself to bring out the sketchbook!!

Right now, my sweetie is waiting for some quiet time, so I'm off the computer for a bit. See you later, alligator!!!

Judi1957
06-17-2005, 11:12 PM
Posting teach
:angel:

This is about a half of a mile from the waterfall. I want to retire here! So peaceful...the land time forgot
...and my step-son's 63 Chevy truck.

Cathie Jones
06-17-2005, 11:27 PM
Judi, you are just incredible! :clap: :clap: :clap: Is there anything you can't draw??? You should be leading this class . . . . :D

So, tell us how you do it.

JayD
06-17-2005, 11:34 PM
Joe, kachinas are really interesting--I have carved one or two for people although I cant come close to the real thing--I am still a bird guy at heart, I guess. If you sketch any please post them for all of us to see.

CJ--do you realize that you are subbing one of our most popular classes ever--good job--look at the page views and the responses. You are doing some nice work here.

Judi--outstanding--tell us a little about how you went about sketching this one. How did you decide on the composition for example? By the way, just scrolled to the top and have seen your others--girl, you are on a roll here!!!

Hi, Bard!!!

JayD
06-17-2005, 11:39 PM
Present, I am ga ga over those waterdrops and I love the loose sketching of the apples--a great and interesting angle on the picture--you can see the thought that went into these.

Blah--nice work--I hope you are going to have time for some more for us. I always look forward to seeing your stuff.

cmwynn
06-18-2005, 12:08 AM
Just a quick note to check in. This has been the week from hell. My brother in Kansas died and my sister from Virginia and I have put in marathon session trying to clear up his estate. I knew this was the week to sketch, but the only time I had to sketch anything was in airport waiting rooms. And people would not sit still long enough for decent images, but I will post them tomorrow if I can wake up long enough.

Blah
06-18-2005, 05:56 AM
Connie...I am very sorry to hear about your brother; my condolences to you, your sister and your brother's family.

Blah

Anita Murphy
06-18-2005, 06:03 AM
Connie - my heart goes out to you. I know there are no words that really help, just remember your family here are all with you.

Judi - WOW, you are amazing! This is no sketch, a finished picture awaiting a frame.

JayD - Thank you :D

idcrisis55
06-18-2005, 06:18 AM
Connie, I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. You and your family have my deepest sympathy.

Thinking of you,
Ann

Judi1957
06-18-2005, 06:58 AM
Connie,
I am very sorry to hear about your brother as well. My prayers are for you and your family. Take care and we will see you soon.

idcrisis55
06-18-2005, 07:09 AM
Hi Everyone :wave:

Cathie, really great job subbing this class :D. Love your icons? you've been putting in lol. Thinking of all you Californians after reading about the tremors. Those are scary.

I've managed to go back through the last few pages just to see what you all have been sketching. All the sketches look so good and can see how the skill levels have improved since BD101 began. Of special merit is Judi's sketch of the little girl. That was fabulous, nothing static about that sketch/drawing.

I did a quick value sketch of the painting I am hoping to start this morning before the work begins. It is for the Year of Painting I've been trying to keep up with but I'm two days late lol. The subject for June is "Light Effects". The little girl in it looks like an old lady but hey, at least I got to sketch!

Have missed all of you and will be back to look some more :)

Ann

Judi1957
06-18-2005, 07:20 AM
Hi Ann! :wave: :wave:
Great to have you posting!
Love this sketch- :clap: I don't think she looks like an old lady-please show us the painting as you progress!

Thanks for the compliment on Dave's Sarah-I was happy with her too-though I ran out and bought more micron pens so I could vary the line widths more. I only had 2 pens for Sarah.

JayD and CJ :wave: I cheated on the truck using a photo. it was nite and I really didn't see anything in the house I wanted to skech. I have a collection of photos that I have saved that I want to draw 'someday'. Mark is in the process of rebuilding this truck and so I got a 'before' photo.

Mary Woodul
06-18-2005, 08:33 AM
Connie, I am so sorry to hear about the news, I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and please give my condolences to your family. We have missed you.

Ann, so nice to see you and your sketch is a very nice one as usual.

Judi, :envy: ......naw Judi, really your are just so good. :D

Anita Murphy
06-18-2005, 09:20 AM
Ann - super sketch. Very atmospheric!

Anyone for donuts????

Cathie Jones
06-18-2005, 10:26 AM
Welcome back, Connie! We missed you. So sorry to hear about your brother.

Ann, welcome! Glad you could make it, and please direct us to your painting when you post it!!

JayD, thank you. Sketching is more fun than some of the more structured drawing, so it stands to reason that the class would have more fun with it. I'm just the cheerleader here . . .
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jun-2005/23460-smiley_cheerleader.gif

Joe, I'm a fan of Kachinas, too. I used to own a few - we would buy them from the 'trading post' kind of places along the road in Arizona, on the way to Texas. I'm anxious to see your sketches of them!!

Judi, I don't think it's cheating to use a photograph. Sketching from life is fun, but you can't always find the thing you want to sketch in real life. Your composition is very interesting, and the truck was a great addition - good perspective and proportion, too!! :clap: :clap:

Anita, pass the donuts please!! :D What a fun idea! I love humorous subjects, don't you?

JayD, were you going to post more sketches for us? We like to see your work, too, and it's all way back on the first page . . .

I'll be posting some in a few minutes - have to do some scanning first.

Back soon . . . :wave:

Cathie Jones
06-18-2005, 11:05 AM
Here are a couple of this week's . . . um . . . attempts . . .

1. Winter tree - ink
2. Lady's face - this is the one that was a 'right brain' experience - wish I could find myself back to that state, I like it! The face was in a magazine. Not sure why the contour thing is on that page.
3. House of Joy - Chinese restaurant where we ate last night. Just noticed that the poles holding the sign up are not straight. :eek: Oops!

mothsailor
06-18-2005, 12:33 PM
Connie, very sorry to hear about your brother.

cmwynn
06-18-2005, 05:01 PM
Thanks to you all for your kind thoughts. My brother had been ill for a long time, but the whole story is very complicated.
I have looked at and enjoyed everyone's sketches, but am so far behind that I won't even try to comment on each one. I have learned some new techniques as well.
This first batch is sketches that I made at various airports. I had a long layover in Chicago on the way out, Denver on the way back. All airports are interchangeable anyway. I think all people in airports look like zombies (I certainly felt like one), but my drawing doesn't help. Some people wanted to look over my shoulder, I am not very self conscious about that. They might have been disappointed, thinking that anyone who would be doing this in public must be very good. I consider them gestural drawings and that the only way I will get better is to practice.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jun-2005/29839-airport_sketches2xm.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jun-2005/29839-Airport_sketchesxm.jpg
PS This might be the best source of free live models.

cmwynn
06-18-2005, 05:06 PM
Last month I spent an afternoon downtown and sketched various places. There are some from a church garden, a beer garden patio and sitting on city benches.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jun-2005/29839-Town_sketchesxm.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jun-2005/29839-Town_sketches2xm.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jun-2005/29839-Town_sketches3.jpg

cmwynn
06-18-2005, 05:10 PM
When I went to Florida in February, I did some sketching there. My cousin said her teacher told them always sketch in pen and ink, since sketches are supposed to be spontaneous, not erased at all. Some times I do and it certainly makes them easier to scan, but it takes a little more confidence than using a pencil with an eraser in the other hand.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jun-2005/29839-Florida_sketches2xm.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jun-2005/29839-Florida_sketchesxm.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jun-2005/29839-Florida_sketches3xm.jpg
I haven't had time yet to check the assignment list, may have some more later this week to fill in the blanks.

Judi1957
06-18-2005, 06:22 PM
Connie,
I am glad you are home and I hope all went as well as it could considering the circumstances. Again my sympathies.

My you are a sketching Queen. These are wonderful! I love how you caught people in all kinds of moods and positions. Your trees, buildings and landscapes are well done too. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Hey-you posted one tree twice-are you trying to pull a fast one on us?!?-LOL! :D :D

All right guys and gals-now you can be sure CJ is gonna be whipping us even harder! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Judi1957
06-18-2005, 06:37 PM
Ooops-so busy looking at Connie's sketches I missed the previous ones--

Hi CJ- :wave:
Nice tree, womans face and sign (Mmmmmm Chinese food!) I like the tree the best just cause it is more sketchy-they are all good though! :clap: BTW-the truck was part of the original photograph-they live in this wonderous place!

Anita- :wave:
Donuts are gooooood! I can't wait till they make them without fat,carbs and calories. I will be 70 by then-and I won't care anyway-LOL
Very well done! :clap: :clap:

Hi Mary- :wave: Thanks :)
Hi Dave- :wave:

Cathie Jones
06-18-2005, 07:10 PM
Hi Judi, Mary and Dave :wave:

Connie, you're fantastic!! I like the people - so many faces and moods and positions!! I can usually get the body positions, but not the heads and faces.

And palm trees - my favorite! I love palm trees and you've captured them! And - pay attention class - the hibiscus has 5 (count'em - five) petals. Good job, Connie! (and thanks for uploading) :clap: :clap: :clap:

Fireman's kid
06-18-2005, 07:50 PM
Connie, I had asked the class earlier in the week if anyone knew where you were. I am sorry your absence was caused by such sad circumstances. You and your family have my deepest sympathy.

The reason I was looking for you earlier was because I knew your sketches would be fantastic. And I was right!! :clap: My favorites are your trees, especially the palm trees, and the gentleman with the glasses in the top center of the first post.

Anita, I love the donuts! Were you making them? I could never have finished the sketch without eating one. :D

CJ - glad to see the subbie participating! And showing us how it is done! Very nice sketches! When you learn how to get back to that right brain place could you please teach me?!?

Ann - so glad you stopped by and posted a sketch, although I don't think the little girl looks like an old woman. I do think it fits well with the theme though! :)

Judi - there is just no stopping you!! You are on fire! I might have to plan a trip out to Western PA to get personal lessons. Or maybe I can pay you to do my homework for me? :evil:

No sketching today, but did finish cleaning the house for my parent's visit and also got some time in to work on my house drawing. I hope to post it in the next few days for C&C so I can start painting. I promised a delivery date of the end of July so I have to get moving!

rosebard
06-18-2005, 07:57 PM
Connie sorry to hear about your brother. My best wishes to you and your family members.

GReat sketches everyone!!!![I]

sultry
06-18-2005, 08:32 PM
Hi everyone,

Connie my condolences to you & yours, from what I see your sketches are so great I can see the tired and impatient looks on the airport faces.

Ann I really like your couch and girl it has such a peaceful look.

Judi your a speedy gonzalez at sketching, I love Sarah but that truck is so cool.

CJ you did some nice sketches I like the China sign.

Stacy cool fast sketches do you feel confident and better about sketching now?

Mary I like your roof sketch alot.
Cool droplets Anita
Dave I like that guitar alot
Joe you amaze me
Hi Rose

Hi Jay

If I forgot anyone I am so
Sorry I did not look at everything I have a migraine again and it has left me so nausiated. I meant to post this last night CJ I did not sleep and sketched a lil. Only when I awoke it was to this blinding head ache.
Oh CJ go look at Michelles mermaid it is a wonderful sketch and so is her male figure.

Cathie Jones
06-18-2005, 09:01 PM
Hi Stacy! Glad to see you're watching and commenting!

Sults, I hope that nasty headache goes away soon! I like your cat sketch.

Rose, I visited your web site and I love your work! Thanks for stopping by!

Anita Murphy
06-18-2005, 09:17 PM
Sults - OW! you have my sympathy as a fellow migraine sufferer. Lovely pussy cat - and the eye is wonderful!

Connie - wow wow what a lot of sketches. I love the people, all of them - so individual! And the palm trees are just wonderful. There is something about palm trees that just gets me. They always remind me of my childhood in Kenya, and the white white sands on the Indian ocean.

Mary Woodul
06-19-2005, 12:02 AM
Wow Anita, those donuts are so appetizing and the sketch is excellent.

CJ, love your sketches, they are so soft and well done.

Connie , I admire you so much, you are always so cooporative and positive no matter what your situation. I love you sketches, there is such a variety.

Hi Judi and bard. :wave:

Sults, I love your cat and I hope your migraine is better. Take care.

Well I was sketching this wagon and couldn't finish it but also, Beto my husband, crossed in front of me while watering the plants, so I just had a chance to make a two minute sketch of him.

I left a link of a painting in the weekly scribble thread, I finished yesterday, if anyone is interested. I am about to go to sleep on my keyboard so I guess I'll say nighty night and see you all tomorrow.

chaz
06-19-2005, 01:41 AM
hi everyone. Chaz here. I'm not a member of this class, but here is a drawing I did of my friends golden retriever. I posted this under the title annie, but Jayd asked me to post it here in this sticky because he said he wanted you all to see it, so I am dutiflie (?sp) doing so.

Chuck

mothsailor
06-19-2005, 06:23 AM
As Homer would say: "Doughnuts, mmmmmm." Mouthwateringly good sketch Anita!

Sults, I love the kitty sketch. Must try doing our cats...

Mary, you really did that in two minutes?! :clap: :clap:

Connie, I'm speechless!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Not sure if it's Father's Day all over, but it is here in the UK. So,

Happy Father's Day to all you dads out there!

mothsailor
06-19-2005, 07:36 AM
Judi, Sarah really loved your sketch of her! :D It's now on my dektop...

sultry
06-19-2005, 08:19 AM
CJ, I really like how you did the lady sketch too, see you can do people.

Anita & I love your donuts mmmm

Mary I like the wagon but the sketch of Beto has so much feeling in it. :) (on my way to see your painting).

Ohh nice dog Chuck and glad you posted it here. :)

Dave, your daughter is so precious & don't blame you for having the sketch of her by judi on your desktop. Oh & Happy Fathers Day to you too. Yup here in the US we do celebrate too.

Ty for the cc on the kitty sktch guys. :)

Infact, (made pancakes for Carmelo and special coffee we save for special occassions this morning). Even though he is not my Dad ( I do call him Daddy). :)

Happy Fathers Day
to All the
Daddys
out there.
:clap:

idcrisis55
06-19-2005, 08:50 AM
Hi Everyone from sunny Oklahoma :wave:

Judi, Present, Mary, Stacy and Cathie, thanks for the comments on the value sketch. It was a composite from two photos, both from the RIL. The painting can be seen here (http://www.atreesse.com/YOP/YoP35LightEffects/AnnYoP35600.jpg). If you want to see how the others painted the settee you can see them here (http://www.atreesse.com/YOP/YoP35LightEffects/yop35lighteffects.htm).

Judi if you don't mind I would like to save "Sarah" to my hard drive and use it on my desktop if you don't mind?? I liked it so much.

Present, like the donuts!

Cathie, really like the ink sketch of the tree with the bird. I like the way you did the eyes on the woman and that House of Joy sign looks good too.

Connie, so enjoyed your airport sketches. You caught the expressions, the movement. How wonderful to spend time in parks and sketching. I enjoyed those too :) Great job with the tree sketches. They look spontaneous.

Mary, hope all is going well with you. It is good to have a bit of time to visit with all of you and see all the work. I loved your wagon then seeing the one of your husband watering the flowers. Good sketches!

Stacy, looking forward to seeing your house drawing and then the painting!

Hi Sults, what a neat sketch of your cat. Hope the migraine is better by now. Surch a horrible thing to go through.

Chaz, wonderful drawing. Love the contrasts and her expression.

Hope I haven't missed any of the recent postings!

Here is the quick ink sketch I did for next week's YoP. I rarely use ink because I am sooooo messy with it. Reference photo for the sketch is from the RIL by ArthurG.

Happy Father's Day to all you Dads!

Ann

Cathie Jones
06-19-2005, 09:12 AM
Good morning - and

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jun-2005/23460-smiley_fathers_day.gif

Mary, I love that wagon, but it looks closer to a finished drawing than a quick sketch. If you're still there, try limiting yourself to 2 minutes for that one and see if you can get just the basic lines and shading you'd need to remember it later. The one of Beto looks good, too. Is it easier for you to sketch people from life rather than from photos?

Chuck, thanks for posting the dog - nice drawing, and it looks like your friend has a sweetheart of a dog!!

Hi Ann! The link to your painting didn't work for me, so I'll have to hunt your painting down tomorrow. I like the ink sketch very much - scenes like that are among my favorites! :clap:

Hi everyone else! :wave: Remember, I'll be out of town all day today, so NO FOOD FIGHTS - NO SPITBALLS - NO HAIR PULLING!! Just leave some wonderful sketches for me to see in the morning!! Okay???
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jun-2005/23460-smiley_teacher.gif

Judi1957
06-19-2005, 09:24 AM
Morning ALL :wave:
Dave-I am glad you are enjoying the sketch :) I hope you had a wonderful Father's Day!

Happy Fathers Day JayD, Dave, Joe, Blah and to all the ladies partners!

Ann, I really enjoyed your paintings and all the other YoP's. Thanks so much for sharing them! You can certainly save my drawing.
I LOVE the fence sketch! :clap: :clap:

Mary-I love your sketches :clap: :clap: -both are well done! I see you are keeping Beto off the hammock on Father's Day? :D

Hi CJ and Sults :wave: :wave:

Chaz-that is a beautiful dog you posted for us to enjoy! :clap: :clap:

sultry
06-19-2005, 09:25 AM
Ann I really like the fence sketch, I could not see your link either. :(

CJ have a nice time, don't worry the class will be good.

edited... HI JUDI we must of missed ea other x posting :wave:

Judi1957
06-19-2005, 10:04 AM
Thinking of Anita's donuts and watching Pat eat an almond poppyseed muffin brought this to mind-
The forbidden-LOL

idcrisis55
06-19-2005, 10:12 AM
Thanks you all for the comments on the ink sketch :). Hmmm, wonder why the link didn't work for some but did for Judi, strange, eh. Here is a thumbnail of the painting to make it easier :D. As you can see I need to practice, practice, practice figures, following in Connie's footsteps and sketching more often.

Cathie, you neer know what will happen when the teacher is away ROFL. Enjoy your day.

Thanks Judi, I'll download your drawing then :)

Ann

Judi1957
06-19-2005, 10:19 AM
Have fun CJ! :wave:

Ann, the first link did not work for me either. I opened the second one and found you there.

Anita Murphy
06-19-2005, 11:06 AM
Mary - I love you husband watering the plants! You must have been working quickly.

Chuck - your dog is beautiful - I am amazed by people who can draw animals. All that fur just defeats me.

Anne - the fence is super. And the painting of the child is wonderful. Magical colours.

Judi - now that is my kind of shop!!!! Darling little sketch!

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY TO ALL THE DADS OUT THERE!!!!!!

Judi1957
06-19-2005, 05:35 PM
Hi Sults, :wave:
I see I missed your kitty, sorry about that. He is adorable and well done!!!
:clap: :clap:
Hope your migraine is gone!

Mary Woodul
06-19-2005, 06:19 PM
I got so behind on the thread again but thank you for the comments. CJ, I also feel that the wagon being it was in front of me became to finished and a little tight and the sketch of Beto was fast because I knew he was going to move.

Chuck, I love your dog, he has very sweet eyes.

Ann your water color is so loose and appealing, I love it.

Your sketch is incredibly good, I love that kind of sketch, I see a lot of feeling there.

Happy Father's Day to all the fathers.

Sults, congratulations for your guide status, it is very deserved.

Anita Murphy
06-19-2005, 06:36 PM
So liked Connies palm trees I had to go do some of my own!

jmfletch
06-19-2005, 07:34 PM
Connie, I had asked the class earlier in the week if anyone knew where you were. I am sorry your absence was caused by such sad circumstances. You and your family have my deepest sympathy.

The reason I was looking for you earlier was because I knew your sketches would be fantastic. And I was right!! :clap: My favorites are your trees, especially the palm trees, and the gentleman with the glasses in the top center of the first post.

Anita, I love the donuts! Were you making them? I could never have finished the sketch without eating one. :D

CJ - glad to see the subbie participating! And showing us how it is done! Very nice sketches! When you learn how to get back to that right brain place could you please teach me?!?

Ann - so glad you stopped by and posted a sketch, although I don't think the little girl looks like an old woman. I do think it fits well with the theme though! :)

Judi - there is just no stopping you!! You are on fire! I might have to plan a trip out to Western PA to get personal lessons. Or maybe I can pay you to do my homework for me? :evil:

Connie, Anita, CJ and Ann...DITTOs!

Sults - Love the cat. Looks like a house cat with the attitude of a cougar.

Anita - Thanks for the donuts!

Mary - Beto in two minutes?????:envy: :envy: :envy:

Chaz - Thanks for joining in. Your dog is beautiful.

Ann - Your sketch reminds me of the dunes on the beaches in in Rhode Island....and the watercolor sketch is terrific!

Judi - :envy: :envy: :envy: I thought when we did charactures you had found your thing. Then we do sketching and again your work is prolific and AWESOME!! The common element is loose, so obviously loose is your style!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shoot...Can't throw anything because CJ left explicit instructions:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Joe

jmfletch
06-19-2005, 07:35 PM
Anita - Missed your Palms...very nice!!!

Joe

Judi1957
06-19-2005, 07:46 PM
Sults!!!!!!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!

Judi1957
06-19-2005, 07:51 PM
Ohhhh Anita, Those are awesome! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hey Joe :music: -If you want to throw something-throw roses at Sults-NEW WC GUIDE!!!!!!
and thanks :)

Couple more.

Mary Woodul
06-19-2005, 08:06 PM
Wow Anita, those palms are just beautiful. You have such fine detail in them.

Judi, I can't keep up with you guys, your too fast. :envy:

Hi Joe, well I had to draw Beto fast because we sould be gone in a minute with his hose, he didn't know I was drawing him and when I should it to him, he wasn't very happy, he said "Do I look like that from the back?" So I think he needs a lot of retouching. Happy Father's Day!

chaz
06-19-2005, 08:34 PM
I want to thank all of you, Connie, Sultry, Ann, Anita, Cj Judi, Mary, Joe, and I know I've forgotten someone, but I read all your comments and I appreciate evey one of them. I must go back and look at your sketches in this post, but I wanted to post my appreciation for your responses first.

Thanks again, all of you

Chuck

sultry
06-19-2005, 09:05 PM
Hiyas everyone & a big ty :) I am so honored to receive this and I promise I still will be a 101 student & subbie but I will also be motivating the Fantasy SciFi along with Murray & Bon. :)

Ann Wow that is really beautiful and love the colors.

Anita I love the palms they remind me of Las Vegas. lol I lived there for a few years before moving here to cold Ct.

Hiyas Judi, Mary & Joe :wave:

Well, since I went to Carmelo's daughter's house for the day. I had a wonderful opportunity to sketch her and her adorable 4 year old twins. LOL it was so funny.... because when I asked if I could sketch them the babies tried to pose for me and when I started to sketch "Gianna" the lil girl ran over quickly to see it. When she saw just a few lines she started to cry. She thought I was going to have a drawing like a camera would. lol So I ended up sketching her, yup the one crying on the floor. lol It was priceless to do that and infact Christina says after you post it please let me have it I will frame it as is. :)

Giovanni is with her on the couch where, Gianna was too but when she cried I decided it was better for the sketch to keep her crying lol. By the way they moved in 3 minutes so most of it is by memory.

edited...oh done on 9 x 6 sketch pad with just a HB mech pencil and lots of lil 4 year old finger pointings (lol). Wow Judi your just a sketching a Queen :) those are great. so outdoorsey picnic atmospheric. It was too cold to have one of those today for us though. We had chineese food in doors lol.
Hiyas Chuck

JayD
06-19-2005, 09:22 PM
Sults-congrats on you moving to Guide Status--you really deserve this. Sci Fi and Fantiasy Guide--that is TOO cool. I think I will pop in on occassion to see all the neat stuff that will be happening there! Again congrats--jay

Judi1957
06-19-2005, 09:25 PM
You better not leave us Sults, we need you here! :D :D :D The family cannot leave (right Deb ;) )
I love it! LOL-especially the one twin on the floor crying-poor baby-LOL-
Congrats Again! :clap: :clap: :clap:

DEB-ARE YOU AROUND??????

sultry
06-19-2005, 09:25 PM
Thanks TEACH :)

rosebard
06-19-2005, 11:59 PM
Hi All!!:wave:

Congratulation Sultry!!:D :clap:

Yeah Judi, Basic 101 is a home place for sure. JayD stopped by and said I could post it here. ;) :D

This gives me a bit of a sense of participation still. Thanks JayD!!:D

:wave:

Cathie Jones
06-20-2005, 12:40 AM
Made it back in one piece - always a 50-50 proposition when you go to L.A.! LOL

So - I was only gone for one day and look what happens to SULTS! CONGRATULATIONS, gf, but you know you better stay here, too!! We'd miss you too much if you went away!!

Back in the morning to look at everything - we just got home and I'm tired.

mothsailor
06-20-2005, 04:21 AM
Good morning everyone!

Sults, I love your sketch...no wonder Christina wants to frame it!

Judi, you are definately the sketching queen! :clap: :clap:

Judi1957
06-20-2005, 05:41 AM
DAVE-YOU ARE A GUIDE NOW TOO! :clap: :clap: :clap:
When did this happen, did I just not notice? :o :o
CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU!!!

mothsailor
06-20-2005, 06:34 AM
DAVE-YOU ARE A GUIDE NOW TOO! :clap: :clap: :clap:
When did this happen, did I just not notice? :o :o
CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU!!!

Thanks! Nothing wrong with your noticing! I just became a guide in Art History.

JayD
06-20-2005, 06:51 AM
Dave, congrats to you--Good Grief-all my pals are becoming guides!!

Mary Woodul
06-20-2005, 07:03 AM
Dave, Congratulations, for your guide status. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

sultry
06-20-2005, 07:27 AM
Ty everyone :)
Hi CJ welcome back :)
Hiyas Judi, Mary & Jay :)
Heyyyyyyyyyyyy DAVE that is a well deserved promotion for ya. Congratulations Bro :) :clap: :clap: :clap:

Anita Murphy
06-20-2005, 08:13 AM
Dave Congratulations - (How does everyone get colour in their text????)

Sults - Congratulations again - I put it in the scribble but will say it again here. How was living in Vegas????? I got married there - I know, how cheesy! We did it there because it was the least paperwork for two people, both previously married and of different nationalities (do you know how complex that can get?)

cmwynn
06-20-2005, 08:51 AM
I feel quite ritzy rubbing elbows with all these important people. Congratulations on the promotions, though that usually means more work as well as status.

Cathie Jones
06-20-2005, 09:20 AM
I'm with Connie here. Will we have to bow when Sults or Dave come into the room now??? :rolleyes: Congratulations, you guys, you both deserve all of the fame and fortune - and guidedom - that you can get!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Anita, I love the palm sketches! You could finish that tree into a framable pic in no time!!

Rose, good portraits - are you sure those are just sketches? :D

Gotta run - Monday again, you know. Can't figure out how Monday keeps rolling around so fast, and then it takes so long to get to Saturday again!!

Y'all be good and I'll check in later from work! Keep those pencils moving . . . scanners scanning, cameras . . . um . . . camming . . . :eek:

rosebard
06-20-2005, 09:28 AM
Hi all!!

Congratulations Dave!!

CJ that is the only way a can sketch!! I have to make a tonal drawing of anything I was to do as premilinary work. I can use line, my eyes doesnt get happy when I do that. But it is so beautiful the way you guys use the lines, crosshatching and etc...

Well, it is at least a sketch to me.

Take care all.

Fireman's kid
06-20-2005, 09:56 AM
Congrats to the new Guides - Sults and Dave!!

Boy, I feel like a slacker compared to how much you all participate. Not only do you post tons here in 101, but you must be posting lots in these other places too. I bet 75% of my posts are in the 101 threads and as you can see there aren't many in total. How do you people find time to draw with all the posting and guiding you do?!?! Do you ever sleep?

Well, at least it's good to know that some people are more addicted than I am. :evil: :p

Rose - beautiful portrait sketches! I'm like you, I'm not good at shading with lines.

Anita - very nice palm trees. Were you getting some coconuts for your next batch of donuts? :D

Sults - I love your sketch. The crying girls tells such a story. With the level of shading that you did you could consider it a finished work so I can see why Carmelo's daughter wants to frame it.

Judi - I agree with what Joe said, it seems as if you have more than one specialty. :)

mothsailor
06-20-2005, 10:12 AM
I'm with Connie here. Will we have to bow when Sults or Dave come into the room now??? :rolleyes:

You mean you weren't bowing before!! :eek: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jun-2005/52179-icon_evil.gif

Cathie Jones
06-20-2005, 01:01 PM
You mean you weren't bowing before!! :eek: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jun-2005/52179-icon_evil.gif

'scuse me, Mister Guide! Have you turned in all of your sketching assignments??? Hmmmmmm???? Or are you too busy with another forum??? I notice that Ms Guide Sults is turning in her sketching assignments!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jun-2005/23460-smiley_sword_spin.gif

chaz
06-20-2005, 02:00 PM
Congratulations Dave and Sults on your promotions to Guide. :clap: :clap: :clap:

mhimeswc
06-20-2005, 02:47 PM
I'm just getting back into this after a long absence. I'm enjoying looking at all the sketches.

Connie, I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. I lost a sister last year after a long illness, so I can relate. I've also spent a lot of time in airports in the last couple of years, but I never drew there. I was one of the zombies. Your sketches are terrific. And I am so impressed that you even felt like sketching at all.

Since there seems to be another week left on this lesson, I'm going to do some jump in here and do some sketches. Will post something later today. I also uploaded a couple of sketches I did on my DC trip in March in the Spring Sketches thread.

Later.

Michelle

Cathie Jones
06-20-2005, 02:52 PM
Hi Michelle! Glad to see you . . . you've been missed around here! :wave:

Loved your animal sketches in the sketching thread - especially the zebras!

sultry
06-20-2005, 02:56 PM
Sults - Congratulations again - I put it in the scribble but will say it again here. How was living in Vegas????? I got married there - I know, how cheesy! We did it there because it was the least paperwork for two people, both previously married and of different nationalities (do you know how complex that can get?)

LOL, I divorced there and in only 3 mths time. :) I liked Vegas but when I did get into my hermit stage (It would not matter where I live). I hide in the house. lol

Ty Chuck, CJ, Anita, Stacy

Stacy, I liked sketching it and I could not stop drawing the lines. lol

CJ, you do such a wonderful job subbing that you will do welll to keep doing it in latter classes too. Judi and I would love it. :) So would Jay and all the other subbies who help.

Dave your cornered now lol

Hiyas Judi, Mary & Connie

Oh yeah Jay has not commented on my last sketch I posted, again hmmmmm. lol
Could it be the Dragon Dare???? lol Jay Bon put up a Dragon Challenge for anyone now in Fantasy.
So hey 101ers want to draw Dragon????

mhimeswc
06-20-2005, 04:06 PM
Hi again! CJ asked me to post these here. I didn't originally put them here because they weren't done specifically for this class. They were done in March when I went to DC to visit my daughter. The zoo was beyond crowded, it was shoulder to shoulder, and there were lines to see some of the animals, including the cheetahs. I sketched these from my digital photos at her house after the grandkids were asleep.

Michelle
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jun-2005/20035-cheetahs.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jun-2005/20035-zebras.jpg

Mary Woodul
06-20-2005, 04:39 PM
Michelle, those Zebra's are awesome and it is gret to see you around.

CJ, I'm just not good at this sketchy thing, they are either too done or too undone. Well here is an undone one of my DH, Beto watching TV.

It's a good thing he never checks, WC, lol.

Cathie Jones
06-20-2005, 04:56 PM
Thanks for posting the animals, Michelle. I think we've all posted sketches that were done before the class. But I don't believe anyone had posted zoo-type animals (except Mary who has an elephant on her coffee table! :eek: ).

Good job, Mary! I know you think it's 'underdone' but it really isn't. If I saw your sketch without an explanation, I'd think it was a man sitting down watching TV. :clap: :clap:

mothsailor
06-20-2005, 05:42 PM
'scuse me, Mister Guide! Have you turned in all of your sketching assignments??? Hmmmmmm???? Or are you too busy with another forum??? I notice that Ms Guide Sults is turning in her sketching assignments!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jun-2005/23460-smiley_sword_spin.gif

Yikes, sorry ma'am!! Here are a couple more sketches, plus part of my father's day card that I couldn't resist sharing with you! I think I still owe you a couple of people sketches...they're the hardest ones, aren't they.

Cathie Jones
06-20-2005, 06:09 PM
Fantastic sketches, Dave!! And that card is the best! You and Sarah are very lucky to have each other!! I'll put the sword away now :clap: :clap: :clap:

cmwynn
06-20-2005, 07:48 PM
I see that I was required to do a finished product from one of my sketches, so this is it. According to notes in my sketch book, it is a miniature date palm and was on the patio next to my cousin's pool. It was too cool in February to go swimming, but oh, how I wish I could be there now. This is watercolor with pen and ink.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jun-2005/29839-Date_Palmxm..jpg

mhimeswc
06-20-2005, 07:55 PM
Mary, I don't think your sketch is underdone. In fact, that's what makes it a sketch instead of a drawing.

Michelle

jmfletch
06-20-2005, 08:07 PM
First CONGRATULATIONS to our new guides Dave & Sults...(hmm the trouble makers got promoted. :D There is hope for me yet.:evil: ) Seriously Congratulations guys.!!!! I have to echo Stacy's remarks, where do you find the time to be so active here and still find time for art????

Sults - Love the little one on the floor. :)

Judi - you are not only very good at this but very fast and very prolific!

Blah - Apologies I gave credit to Dave for your work.:o

Michelle - Great zebras!!:clap:

Rose - Like the soft look of your portraits. :clap:

Mary - Does Beto really sit up that straight watching TV??? I would be sprawlled (sp) across the couch! :D Great sketch!:clap:

Hope I didn't miss any one. Apologies if I did.

Following JayD's suggestion ...Here are a couple of kachinas I sketched last night and today, The one with the round face is suppose to be a Sun kachina. The one with the cape is Ahola. Both are Hopi in origin, I believe.

mhimeswc
06-20-2005, 08:07 PM
Here are some sketches of my toy boat. I am going to take an outdoor watercolor workshop in August in Camden, Maine, and I wanted to learn how to draw boats before I went. I have trouble drawing boats from photos, and there are no boats or boatyards in my neighborhood, so I bought a little boat so I can see what one looks like in several different positions. I think I forgot most of my perspective lessons though. :confused:

Michelle

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jun-2005/20035-ToyBoat.jpg

jmfletch
06-20-2005, 08:10 PM
Connie/Michelle - You posted while I was writing (I am very slow typist.)

Connie - That is great!!!:clap: :clap:

Michelle - Boats look good!! Great idea to get a model and practise!!!

Joe

chaz
06-20-2005, 08:36 PM
Nice zoo sketches Michelle. I think CJ mentioned that no one had posted any Zoo animal sketches before you. Well here's one I did last fall at, I think it was Brookfield, we went to several that week, She was fixated on something in the distance and was motionless for several minutes, then she leaped down from the rock and ran into the inside.

I had to crop and select this in PSP because there were some directions to a local pub scribbled on part of the sketch. (Don't ask. LOL!)

mhimeswc
06-20-2005, 08:41 PM
Chuck, you got a lot done before she ran inside. Your lioness? looks really good. I wish I could have sketched on site, but the zoo was packed and I was pushing a stroller and trying to follow my daughter and other grandson who could move a lot faster than I can. Would you believe there was a 15 minute wait on line to see the cheetahs, and about 45 minutes for the pandas. I got a quick photo of one of the pandas as he turned to walk away - nothing I could do much with as far as sketching.

Michelle

JayD
06-20-2005, 08:48 PM
Chuck, I would have left it in--think emily dickinson writing her poems on grocer paper. It adds character to your drawing. Great cat sketch by the way.

Judi1957
06-20-2005, 08:49 PM
Hey Dave, ty-Oh most powerful and wise guide-(bowing) glad I didn't miss your crowning! Love your sketches-and the card-awwww-so cute-days to cherish!
:clap:
Hi Sults, Stacy, Rose and Anita! :wave:
Hi Michelle-great to have you back and I love the animals. :clap:
Hi Mary! Beto looks great-perfect male sketch! I know the remote is in his hidden hand. :D :clap:
Connie- :clap: :clap: looks so cool and relaxing.
Hey Joe-ty-I love the Indians! Nice work on the costumes!:clap:
Edit: Chuck-sorry I missed your post-slow typer like Joe :) Nice work! :clap:

JayD
06-20-2005, 08:56 PM
Joe, thanks for the Kachina's--you should do one as a finished product.

speaking of which--Connie, masterful--loose and enjoyable and the colors just pop out at you--I want to be there.

Michelle--the boats are great but I think you stole the show tonight with your zebra's--those are perfect.

Mary, you are sketching--there is no getting the hang of it--you are sketching--you are used to being price--now these sketches are posted publicy but, generally, sketching is a private thing--think in terms of taking notes--sketching is an abbrevation.

Guideboy Dave--great sketches--dont lose your self in all that history stuff now--come back and show us a thing or two. We DO have a lot of guides coming from this forum dont we? Hmmmm......

Mary Woodul
06-20-2005, 10:03 PM
Thank You CJ. :)

Dave, I love your tree, but the Fathers Day card tops it all from that precious daughter of yours.

Connie, you have already finshed all of the assignments and I love your palm tree.

Thank you Michelle. :), and i love your boats. You know your perspective lesson a lot better than i do.

Hi Chuck, I love the way it looks.

Joe, you kachinas are really keen. Thank you Joe, and no, Beto never stays straight for long either, the couch starts giving in under him, he had just sat down.

Judi, ha,ha, you have one of those too, that keep the remote and never let you get interested in anything because they are always changing channels. :evil: Thank you Judi. :D

JayD, thank you for the push, I'll do some more to get the feel of them.

Judi1957
06-20-2005, 10:15 PM
Judi, ha,ha, you have one of those too, that keep the remote and never let you get interested in anything because they are always changing channels. :evil: Thank you Judi. :D

EXACTLY! LOL

Cathie Jones
06-20-2005, 10:37 PM
Connie, what a great finish! That swimming pool is calling to me, too.

Joe your Kachinas make good sketches, just like JayD thought they would. Do you see a series in your future? I'd love to see color on one of them. ;)

Michelle, what a good idea to use a toy boat. I hope everyone is taking note of this tip. I also have a hard time drawing boats from photos.

Chuck, thanks for posting another wild animal. And for staying with the class - we like new perspectives!

Hi JayD! :wave: Thanks for dropping by. I know you're very busy, but we miss you!

How is everyone else doing? I did a couple of little tree sketches yesterday, but haven't had time to scan yet. Probably can't post anything until Wednesday. See you tomorrow. Until then . . . YOU CAN DO IT!!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!! SKETCHING IS FUN!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jun-2005/23460-smiley_cheerleader.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jun-2005/23460-smiley_cheerleader.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jun-2005/23460-smiley_cheerleader.gif

chaz
06-20-2005, 11:01 PM
Thanks to all for your comments. A quick note to michelle. I don't usually sketch in the zoo for that very reason, crowds rushing etc. I'm a photographer turned want=to=be artist, so I mostly photograph. This day As I recall the zoo was not very full and the lion sat for quite awhile so I thought I try it. I'd forgottten about until I got involved in this thread by circumstances. Think I'll hang aaround awhile. might stay for some other classes.

Chuck

Anita Murphy
06-21-2005, 05:50 AM
Michelle - super zebras and cheetahs. And the boats are great too!

Mary - I keep trying to catch my husband to draw him but every time he sees me with paper and pencil in hand he runs and hides!

Dave - Super tree, and the cafetiere too complete with reflection! Hope the coffee was good!

Connie - wonderful watercolour of those great palm trees.

Joe - hope that was a rain dance and not a war dance! I particularly like the second one.

Chuck - fabulous lioness. Did you get a lot of people looking over your shoulder while you were sketching!

Hi Judi, CJ, JayD, Sults. Hope I didn't miss anyone.
I'm going to try and get some people sketching done today - bit early at the moment, 4:50am - Mexico City is still asleep!