PDA

View Full Version : Newfie with a haircut

Piper Ballou
06-10-2005, 12:39 AM
This newfoundland is starting to drive me crazy, hoping with a few little tweaks it might be finished.
C&C very much welcomed.
Pastels on Wallis paper 9 by 12

After this one I am really in the mood to paint something really bright and with lots of light colors.
thanks,
Piper

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2005/8539-Ike_3_regular_resized.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2005/8539-Ike_2_resized.jpg

meowmeow
06-10-2005, 07:47 AM
What a cutie! I think his snout is off a bit...but he is definitely within "tweaking" zone! Maybe some animal painting experts can help out more....but I think he is well on his way.

Sandy

Artistammy
06-10-2005, 09:26 AM
He's coming along nicely. Something about the right eye bothers me. It doesn't seem the same size as the other one. In person, I might could see more of it. The photo is a little dark on my screen. Have you added in other dark colors? It livens it up. Sometimes we can't tell with these photos. The fur looks nice. Looking forward to seeing it done.
Tammy

Khadres
06-10-2005, 09:38 AM
You're VERY close on this one! What a sweetie! All of my dogs are either black and white or black, so I like to see how others tackle the color issues with black fur. Good job!

Piper Ballou
06-10-2005, 10:13 AM
Thanks Sandy, Tammy and Sooz for comments and suggestions, I need to tweak the nose and eye a bit and will do this weekend, I need to let this one rest for a day or two. This is my very first comission and I tried to stay as relaxed as I could but now I am really ready to paint something light and fun.
Piper

momof6
06-10-2005, 10:59 AM
Hi Piper! Wow, this is really great! I'd like to see you punch up the shiny highlights on the coat another notch!

Well done!

Bringer
06-10-2005, 11:26 AM
Hi there,

Have I mentioned before that you really know how to use pastels ? :-)
How the heck can you do that fur ? :-O
Someday I hope to be abble to do a work like that.

Regards,

José

Goobiemom
06-10-2005, 11:48 AM
Wow, Piper! You've done a terrific job with this! Want to give it that special punch??? Try using darker purples and blues between the black and whites where the color transitions from black, to white for the hilights. Also, use a very, very light blue, almost white and mix it in with the white where you have the brightest hilights. It's ok, it's Wallis. You can go over it easily if you don't like what you see, but I think you will! Look at your reference photo and notice all the purple in it?
You've done a really terrific job and the owner should be really pleased with it!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :cat:

Judy

Deborah Secor
06-10-2005, 04:49 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2005/23609-newfie_copy.jpg

Piper, I've done two things with the original snapshot. I lightened it so you can see the details in the dark areas. I think you were a bit overwhelmed with what you couldn't see there--but you have to shape the dark spots, too! Now maybe you can see the patterns of hair growth. Don't be a fraid to lighten the whole thing a bit and use very dark areas only where needed.

The other thing is that the angle of the eyes, nose and mouth remain consistent. A dog's face doesn't flex in those areas! So, I think when you analyze this you'll be able to see that the eyes and nose are a bit off in yours... Also notice the line that divides the face bilaterally. Sometimes measuring off of that helps me!

I think you're very close, so keep going. Tweaking may mean relocating an eye or reshaping things, but it's worth the effort!

Hope this helps.

Deborah

Bringer
06-10-2005, 05:54 PM
Hi again,

Being new into pastels and having not art lessons, of course I cannot know better than most of you. Nonetheless I would like to express this opinion.
It seemed to me that some advices given above are taking in too much account the photo and maybe forgetting how the dog really looks.
Don't forget that how he shows in the photo depends on several factors and for what I remember and I hope that I'm not confusing races since this dog is very rare here, the dog's real colours have more to do with the painting done than with the photo.
The photo is great for reference, but to try to show real colours I thinks it's better and I suppose the owner would like it more like that.
This is only my opinion, not based of course on technical issues of which I have little knowledge.

Best regards,

José

Deborah Secor
06-10-2005, 06:27 PM
Yes, color in paintings is all a matter of opinion, I think. I like that Piper is sticking to 'reality'--that is the expected palette of natural colors found in a black dog's coat. On the other hand, I've been known to paint black dogs with pink, purple, lavender and yellow highlights! It's all a matter of what the artist wants to express about the animal. One thing I love bout WC is that we can all express what we think, knowing that the artist will choose what works for her (or him.)

Piper, take a peek at dj*'s work (Debra Jones). She does dynamite animals--and I remember some of her black coated ones as being just smashing! You can do a search in this forum and find them, I think.

Deborah

Piper Ballou
06-11-2005, 12:33 AM
Deborah- I posted this same painting in the animal and wildlife forum, and someone said just about what you said, I knew that something was off but could not see, that is my lack of experience showing. Again, as always I am grateful for you comments and suggestions and what you to know I really do appreciate them. thank you again.

Tracy and Judy- I am punching the colors up some too, added some blues and purples

Jose-Thank you for your comments, I have not seen this dog in person, nordo not think I have ever seen a Newfoundland in person either. But your ideas do make sense, thanks
piper

Goobiemom
06-11-2005, 12:13 PM
I can't wait to see your changes! Hurry up and post the update silly! I want to see your wip!

Judy

Paula Ford
06-11-2005, 02:05 PM
You have nailed the fur!! It's a great portrait! There is a dark spot to the left of his tongue. If you were to lighten that slightly it would make it look more rounded like the right side (EDIT: Not rounded, but flattened a bit). Also the contour of that side of the face could be lightened slightly and rounded a bit. Hope that helps a little...

He's really beautiful though Piper!!

Paula

Piper Ballou
06-11-2005, 08:50 PM
First off, I want to thank everyone who gave me great hints and suggestions to finish up this painting. You all are so kind and helpful.

I have redone the eyes, nose and month, lightened it some, probably not enough and even added some blues and purples in the fut, it was just looking too flat.

Do you think there is anything else I need to fix, add, delete....
thanks again
piper

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2005/8539-Ike_2_resized.jpg

Piper Ballou
06-11-2005, 08:53 PM
okay, I already see something will the nose.....bummer...will fix that

Mikki Petersen
06-11-2005, 08:55 PM
Well, that photo just begs for a portrait! What a lot of character! When you get the snout fixed, try smoothing out the muzzle fur. There is no curly or brushy fur on his muzzle. Otherwise, that fur is terrific!

Mikki

Bringer
06-11-2005, 09:51 PM
Hi,

this is just awsome !!!
what else can I say ?
what does mean the word «fut» ? same as nose ? I only have a portuguese/english dictionary, no english/portuguese one...:-/

Regards,

José

Piper Ballou
06-11-2005, 10:28 PM
Think I have the nose fixed...at least I am hoping so... :eek:
I am going to let it sit for a day or two...I am seeing black spots in front of my eyes :p
Piper

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2005/8539-Ike_2_done_resized.jpg

Bringer
06-11-2005, 10:51 PM
what ....I had posted a reply...or I didn't ?...
well...here goes again....
That is an awsometastic paint !!
What does mean «fut» ? Is it the same as nose ?

Regards,

José

Piper Ballou
06-11-2005, 11:08 PM
Jose- do you mean - fut? that is not a word, went back and read through the other posts and no one used that word...fur- which is animal hair, is that what you meant?
thanks for your comments
piper

Mikki Petersen
06-11-2005, 11:25 PM
Oh YES! Don't know what you did, Piper, but it worked! Isn't it amazing how a little change here or there will make or break a painting? Well, you made it here, girl!

Mikki

Bringer
06-11-2005, 11:33 PM
Jose- do you mean - fut? that is not a word, went back and read through the other posts and no one used that word...fur- which is animal hair, is that what you meant?
thanks for your comments
piper

Hi again,

In one of your posts :

«I have redone the eyes, nose and month, lightened it some, probably not enough and even added some blues and purples in the fut, it was just looking too flat.»

Now I see that you pressed the wrong key. I thought it was another word for animal nose.

Regards,

José

Simon Bland
06-12-2005, 03:17 PM
Piper,

The more I've looked at the reference photo (must be about 15 times now), the more I'm convinced that the dog was moving when the photo was taken - I think that's what's causing the asymmetrical persective look to the eyes and face generally.

That said, you've clearly managed through it and I think your painting is great, you could deliver it as is.

For more enhancements, if you're looking for my 2c worth, I think the nose and lower jaw could come forward in the picture a bit more.

Simon

Goobiemom
06-12-2005, 04:11 PM
Wow, Piper! It turned out hillariously great! They are such oafish looking critters, aren't they? Just like St Bernards, so cuddly. You've captured him really well! So how do you like doing commissions? Let us know how the owner likes your portrait!

Judy

Piper Ballou
06-12-2005, 04:37 PM
Thanks, Mikki, Jose, Simon and Judy for you comments. I am much more relaxed today after finishing this one, unless someone sees something else... :eek:
Simon- you may be right about the dog moving for the photo, glad you did not notice that before, it would have driven me crazy.
Judy- now that he is done, I can say I enjoyed myself, tried to stay relaxed, but kept worrying about it too. I had decided from the start, that I was not going to worry, easy for me to say that, and if the owner did not like it, so be it....but she does like it, my husband is going to build the frame for her too.
piper

Artistammy
06-12-2005, 05:06 PM
It all looks much better after you did our tweaks. :D I'm glad the owner had the sense to like it.
Tammy

jody007
08-13-2005, 11:25 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Piper,

I had alot of fun reading everyone comments on your painting! You did an excellent job with this black fur (FUT) LOL! :D :D I got a laugh out of that! Know really you did a beautiful with all of this painting!

Jody :D

bnoonan
08-13-2005, 11:39 AM
Piper, you are a good woman to tackle all that fur and to such great detail. I'm impressed and yet I can see how much you long for more colors.

It looks good and I'm sure they will like it... Barb

scoller
08-13-2005, 02:44 PM
thanks Jody and Barbara for you comments. THis was was sent to Michigan, my first paid commission...working on a couple more dogs but have not done much

Jody- where are you finding these old threads...you are sure full of surprises for me..LOL, thanks for looking
piper

edit note---I am on my husband's computer and did not realize he was signed in....so I am answering under his name...silly me

Nicoclaus
08-13-2005, 07:10 PM
It all looks much better after you did our tweaks. :D I'm glad the owner had the sense to like it.
Tammy

Ditto here;)

Trilby
08-14-2005, 01:00 AM
Oh Piper, you are such a quick study. You take direction so well. This has turned out super! Congrats on your first commission accomplished very well. I predict that soon you will have more than you know what to do with.
TJ

Dark_Shades
08-14-2005, 05:42 AM
Hello Piper

I think you have done a fantastic job on this doggie, and the fur splendid! and wouldnt change it, Bringer has indeed raised some very valued points - but as Dee said, each artist shows their own interputation and style.
This is how I interpreted a black ****zu .....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2005/12116-Baggins.jpg
Its been mentioned already, but the thing that bothers me the most are the eyes, they dont look right, thats nothing you have done, as its the same in the photo, they dont look right there either ...... why not ask your customer for some more ref photos just so that you have a better feel for what they should look like really, or surf the net for photos of the breed..... remember the photo is only a split second image
You've done a great job and you will be pleased and so will the customer.... just have a break and come back refreshed, and you will just tweak those bits

Well done

Dark_Shades
08-14-2005, 05:43 AM
ha ha ha......... look the breed name has been 'beeped' out ROFL!!!

*Marina*
08-14-2005, 06:07 AM
Hi Piper,
I really like your dog. He is great. If you are really worried about the eyes I would move the left pupil (on the picture) a tiny fraction. I think he will look straight at you then.
The overall effect is perfect.

HarvestMoon
10-14-2005, 10:59 AM
Piper- I had a newfie that looked exactly like that - I feel so bad because I was working more than full time, working on a full time master's, had 2 small kids, and she never got the attention she deserved- plus it was just too hot here for her and we intended to take her to the lake- but she died of a sudden heart attack - she was only about 5- we knew she had heart problems, but I miss that dog so much still- actually all of my dogs that have ever died.... but she was really special - more of a person than a dog...- great picture- really great picture

Piper Ballou
10-15-2005, 10:38 AM
Purples, thank you so much for the lovely comments on the newfie, and thanks for sharing your story. I really believe a lot of dogs are more of a person then they are a dog.
piper

artgirl3571
08-07-2006, 11:18 PM
hey piper this looks great to me but i can see what everyone was saying but i have heard that black and white fur is hard to do so you have done a great job . hes a cutie. LOVE your work., Terry