PDA

View Full Version : transporting unframed pastels

banjo1
06-09-2005, 11:27 PM
My question is this.

I have recently been commissioned to do a large triptych in pastel. Which is to be sent to the other side of the country. They dont want the pastels framed but would rather frame the work once it arrives so they have greater say over the frame etc.

Can anyone suggest the best way to package the pastels for transport when they are unframed?

I had considered putting cardboard mounts around the pastels covering them with glazine paper then placing foam core between them. Hoping this would protect them. Does anyone think that this would be sufficent?

Thanks

Catherin

SweetBabyJ
06-10-2005, 12:43 AM
That works. Kitty Wallis covers them in glassine, and then rolles them *around* a stout tube, and the wraps that in paper and ships that way- but Wallis paper doesn't shed pastel like laid papers do. The main concern is to keep the painting from being "rubbed"- Tom Christopher uses pieces of foamcore to make a "spacer" type thing around the outer dimensions of the work, then tapes another piece of foamcore on top- that works, too.

Deborah Secor
06-10-2005, 01:33 PM
What kind of paper are you using and are the paintings fixed or unfixed? What I've done is cut a thick fomecore mat, mount the painting inside it, sandwich it between two other pieces of fomecore, stack all 3 up and tape them all together thoroughly (with untaping instructions written out on it!) and shipped them in an Airfloat Strongbox. If you want a few more details on shipping pastels in general, check out my web page. I served on a panel for the IAPS convention a few years back and we discussed shipping, along with framing. It's on the bottom of my Pastel Talk (http://www.deborahchristensen.com/pastel_talk.html) page. You can see the Strongboxes at Airfloat (https://secure.redmagnet.com/airfloatsys/strongbox.asp).They're worth every penny, and are reusable for a long, long time. I have customers ship them back to me empty.

Deborah