PDA

View Full Version : 238 Cranes self portrait WIP

Turtle33
06-09-2005, 07:19 PM
hi everyone!
it's been busy but i did get a new painting (just about) drawn. this is one of those that i really have to think about. it's going to be a self portrait and something i haven't done for awhile. it will also give me alot of practice on the human form.
i actually have a mobile of oragami cranes that i'm drawing the cranes from. it's good to practice drawing from life. the pic of me was taken and i'm using that as a reference. i am draped with some semi-transparent tool that i bought for the picture and multiple pics were taken until i found the one where the material was folded as i wanted it to look.
the drawing is almost finished. i still have more cranes to draw but not too many. mostly, i want them along the bottom. i'm pretty happy with the composition and drawing so far. comments appreciated.

this is being done on Fabriano Artistico 140 lb rough. it's another big painting but since i want matting, i left a 3 inch border at the bottom. the frame has already been ordered so i can't cut it but i think the bottom of the paper looks good.
i'n going to try to capture the semi-transparent material well and the cranes are probably going to be white too.
the first pic is of the entire drawing. i added some close-ups too.
i'm nervous about this one. i am going to have to use it for a gallery that i'm now a member at and i need it to turn out well.
thanks for looking!

Sarah
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2005/16927-DSCF0262.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2005/16927-DSCF0263.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2005/16927-DSCF0264.JPG

RogerPf
06-09-2005, 08:06 PM
This one is certainly a declaration of yourself as an artist Sarah. It declares -

I have arrived.

--
Roger

artmom
06-09-2005, 08:09 PM
I'll be watching--I might even break out the teapot!! :D

Lyn

Turtle33
06-09-2005, 08:23 PM
hi ((((hugs)))) Lyn and thanks for looking :wave:
what tea are you having? maybe a citrus tea?

hi Roger and thanks for looking :wave:
your words are always so encouraging!! with this one, i definitely need it!
the left eye is sort of off but my hair is covering half of the eye. i drew in the rest (sort of) of eye to make it appear better before painting. i still have cranes to draw but not too many more. i want it to look like they are falling into the pile at the bottom of the paper.

Sarah

bluegenes
06-09-2005, 08:54 PM
Wow!! You are going places girl!!! :clap:
This is going to be fantastic!!

Patty

kake
06-09-2005, 09:01 PM
wow you're a beautiful woman!

Turtle33
06-10-2005, 08:18 AM
hi Patty and thanks for looking!
i'm hoping this will turn out well!

thanks for looking Kake.

Sarah

artmom
06-10-2005, 08:46 AM
No citrus tea for me, Sarah! I like my tea w/milk, so I tend toward teas without citrus in them--except I like a cup of Earl Grey sometimes, which has bergamot in it, giving it a lemony taste.

Yes, Kake, she is beautiful! :D

Lyn

Sharon Douglas
06-10-2005, 08:58 AM
This is a wonderful start I `m looking forward to seeing the drapes in the fabric.

Nandie
06-10-2005, 09:33 AM
Wow.... I'll be watching this one Sarah. I know you'll pull it off amazingly. Can't wait to see how you do the tulle.

May I say, You are a brave one to do a self-portrait like this!

KathyJB
06-10-2005, 09:44 AM
this has a great start... your an inspiration Sarah!!!

I am enjoying your perspective.. its inteeresting to see how you got the sketching done

Kat

olliewood0702
06-10-2005, 09:58 AM
This is going to be a GREAT composition and a very challenging piece of work Sarah...I'll be watching... :wave:

Borum
06-10-2005, 10:24 AM
Excellent sketch and great composition,,,,is this a nude????? :)

Turtle33
06-10-2005, 12:10 PM
hi Borum and thanks for looking :wave:
i'm pretty happy with the drawing so far. i still have a few things to do but i should be able to start painting tomorrow.
it is sort of a nude but not all together.

hi Darla and thanks for looking :wave:
the worst part to paint is going to be the material folds, i think. i'm nervous about that!

hi Kathy and thanks for looking :wave:
thanks for what you said, that means alot! i think everyone here is so inspiring! just looking at everyone's work is amazing for me!

hi Nandie and thanks for looking!
i obviously spelled tulle wrong :o thanks for the correction! the tulle is what i'm worried about painting!thanks again!

hi Sharon and thanks for looking too!

hi Lyn (((Hugs)))!
ok, i understand, no citrus. i was just thinking summer!
Earl Grey then!

Sarah

AnneBedford
06-10-2005, 12:21 PM
In a hurry today, so writing quick replies. I too will be watching this one. I believe it will be a very good painting. Keep us up to date. We are watching with eager anticipation.
Anne

Borum
06-10-2005, 12:58 PM
:) hi Borum and thanks for looking :wave:
i'm pretty happy with the drawing so far. i still have a few things to do but i should be able to start painting tomorrow.
it is sort of a nude but not all together.

Sarah

Then my hat is off to you! First for attempting a self portrait and secondly making it sort of a nude. I am afraid that if I was to do that they here at WC would have to come up with a whole new icon!

Good luck and I can hardly wait to see it develope.... :)

Uschi
06-10-2005, 01:47 PM
Sarah, I am in the process of making an appoint ment for new glasses, re affirmed here because quite honestly I can barely see what's going on except for the face.

BUT

I'll be watching!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Uschi

painterbear
06-10-2005, 02:05 PM
Uschi, Hurry and get those glasses, you definitely don't want to miss this one! ;)

Sarah,

Another big step along the way to becoming a master artist! I think your composition is terrific and the origami cranes are going to be brilliant.

I'm sure you'll get the tulle perfectly semi-transparent after your last painting. First you mastered stone, now you are working on fabrics!

Looking forward to following your progress on this one.

Sylvia

Gilberte
06-10-2005, 02:40 PM
We're always in for a surprise when opening your posts !
Great !

andylavallee
06-10-2005, 03:53 PM
Sarah as always if you get stuck on this piece of art just ask :wave: :D

Dont ask me but ask!!!!! :o

Little Old Lady
06-10-2005, 04:03 PM
Great idea. Will enjoy the trip.
JoAnn

mmcaloon
06-10-2005, 04:21 PM
What a great start - this is a stronge personla challenge.

BTW do you know the story of a thousand cranes?

Yorky
06-10-2005, 04:41 PM
Wow Sarah - this is different - but really an extension of things you have done before.

I'm sure you can do it.

Doug

Europa
06-10-2005, 04:51 PM
YOU GO GIRL!!!!!

Pat

pampe
06-10-2005, 05:04 PM
I agree with Roger, LIttle S...this is a really vulnerable big step

GO FOR IT!

Turtle33
06-10-2005, 05:35 PM
hi Pam (((hugs))) and thanks for looking :wave: :D
i'm definitely going for it. it was an idea i had and thought it would be so cool. i'm still thinking back to my professor telling a student (during crits), "it's excellent, technically perfect! But, what is the meaning of it"? "what does it mean to you"? so, i'm starting to come up with ideas that have meaning.
this one was originally going to be called 38 moles. yes, all my freckles were counted and there are 238 :p i wanted to do a self portrait and the tulle used is sort of like doing a sculpture but this time life. i'm still fascinated with birds and bird feathers. i even made some oragami birds on my own, just for fun. so i thought i would add the oragami birds for the BG.
it's also practice for the human body painting. i really do need work on that! i'm just hoping it will be good enough for the gallery in August!

hi Pat and thanks! i'm going for it!

hi Doug (((hugs))) and thanks for looking! it is sort of an extension of what i did before, sculpture of the human body. this is making me nervous though because tulle is a whole other thing to paint and to get some cranes behind the material and mute the flesh tones is going to be so hard!

hi mm and thanks for looking :wave:
it is going to be challenging and just as CharM told me, i'm not rushing through this one either!
no, i don't know the story but feel free to insert it into the thread! thanks!

hi (((hugs))) Joann and thanks for looking!

hi Andy and thanks for looking in! i'll definitely ask and if anyone sees anything major with the drawing, let me know, please!

hi Gilberte and thanks for looking!

hi (((hugs)) Sylvia!
the cranes are going to be fun but they are so difficult to draw! i keep placing them in different positions to get it to look interesting!
i'm not sure i'm going to master this but i plan on taking my time with the tulle. there's even some shine in the tulle that i want to capture.
thanks for watching!

hi Uschi! yes, get those glasses! your paintings are awesome and you want to be able to see what your doing!
thanks for looking!

hi Borum and thanks for your comment :)
i was a little worried about doing this with it being sort of a nude but it is art and i'm actually pretty excited about doing this one. nervous because of painting and trying to capture what i'm going for but excited all the same.

hi Anne and thanks for looking in! i'm working on placement of cranes now and even moved some around but it's getting there.

thanks again everyone! i really appreciate your comments and crits and help!

Sarah

minov
06-10-2005, 05:36 PM
really interesting, Sarah, can't wait to see where you go with this....

mhimeswc
06-12-2005, 07:35 PM
You always have such interesting ideas for paintings, but I think this one is the best one yet. I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Michelle

Dake
06-12-2005, 11:22 PM
Hello Sarah, I'm watching this one real close. I'm very interested in skin tones and how we portrait/figure painters all seem to have our own unique chemistry to develop them. I s'pose that becomes redundant if you choose not to go realism with the color but still interesting. C'mon girl I can't wait, your layout looks pretty good but a bit hard to see properly yet, I had a bit of a doubt about the knees but lets see :cat:

Turtle33
06-13-2005, 06:28 AM
hi Dake and thanks for looking :)
i'm going for realism in this for the most part. my knees probably look strange because when the pics were taken, i was stooping on a bar stool so i had to fit myself on that.
i have the BG underway now. i'm not sure it's done but i love what happened with the granulation areas!
the colors used were DS aureolin, WN perm rose, DS lunar earth and WN caput. i used a wet wet wash and mostly used my haki brush for it. i did clean up some of the edges with my Simmons flat wash/glaze.

hi Michelle and thanks for watching! i'm happy with my composition so far and drew in all the cranes there will be.

hi min and thanks for looking!

so heres the update so far! i'll have another later on today.

Sarah

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jun-2005/16927-DSCF0265.JPG

ripvanblair
06-13-2005, 07:13 AM
This is looking terrific Sarah, very classical------------Alan

mustcreate
06-13-2005, 09:37 AM
oh you DO enjoy a challenge don't you?

:)

you are an inspiration to us all Sarah!!!

can't wait to see where this piece takes you....and lucky us - we get to peek over your shoulder:)

em

mmcaloon
06-13-2005, 09:42 AM
Sarah I hope I get this right :o

There is a Japanese legend that says if you fold a thousand cranes all your wishes come true and cares and pain go away.

I first heard this from a story of a young girl. She was a survivor of Hirosima and as she grew to be a teenager she developed a cancer (lukemea I think). As she dealt with the pain she would fold cranes showing her courage and hoping to fold a thousand. She passed away before she made it. Years later a memorial to her was built and kids and people from around the world visited and placed paper cranes at the site.

Every time I see paper cranes I am reminded of the legend, her, and the courage of children.

Sorry If I brought everyone down

ElizabethAnne
06-13-2005, 09:57 AM
This is such an interesting thread, Sarah. :clap:

Regardless of how you feel about the finished piece, it will be a wonderful learning experience for the rest of us as you progress. Thanks for posting it as a WIP.

ElizabethAnne

CharM
06-13-2005, 10:18 AM
Hi Sarah... For some reason, I thought I'd already posted to your thread... can't find it anywhere... duh...

You have really raised the bar with this composition... it's beautifully and tastefully done... I love the soft colour in your background and your drawing looks good...

Mike... thank you for sharing such a poignant anecdote about the cranes... it's beautiful and doesn't bring this thread down at all... In fact, it makes Sarah's painting that much more meaningful!

maryrose
06-13-2005, 11:34 AM
Hi Sarah..

What a beautiful beginning!

Excellent drawing...and the crisp white cranes against the soft background and tulle veil will be stunning.

With such a strong concept and your talent and energy...This WILL be amazing. I'm anxious to see how you handle the veil. I just love what that adds to your portrait!

Alan Cross
06-13-2005, 01:35 PM
Hi Sarah.....very cool Idea...I like it.
Alan :)

Uschi
06-13-2005, 04:20 PM
Watching and :clap: :clap: Now that the background is in I can see lines :D
Uschi

Turtle33
06-13-2005, 08:07 PM
hi Uschi and thanks for looking! i'm glad you can see it now!

hi Alan (((hugs))) and thanks for looking!

hi Mary and thanks for looking :wave: thanks for what you said. that means alot.
i'm not sure how i'm going to handle the material yet but i'll get there.

hi CharM (((hugs))) and thanks for finding the thread!
i just added some cranes with some lifting in the BG, just suggestion of them but they are looking cool too. i'll post an update as soon as i get a pic!

hi Elizabeth and thanks for looking again! it's all a learning process for me too. this is all new for me and i'm taking a chance for a change but i'm happy with things so far.

hi Mike and thanks so much for sharing the story with me :)
i really don't think you brought everyone down. you told us a legend of a culture and that is awesome. the little girl tried and i'm sure somehow she knows about the memorial in her honor. it seems like she probably has alot of friends :)

hi em and thanks for looking ((hugs))
i know you enjoy a challenge too! i like to think that we are all inspirations to each other!
thanks for peeking!

hi Alan and thanks for looking :wave:

Sarah

laudesan
06-13-2005, 10:13 PM
Hi Sarah... For some reason, I thought I'd already posted to your thread... can't find it anywhere... duh...

You have really raised the bar with this composition... it's beautifully and tastefully done... I love the soft colour in your background and your drawing looks good...

Mike... thank you for sharing such a poignant anecdote about the cranes... it's beautiful and doesn't bring this thread down at all... In fact, it makes Sarah's painting that much more meaningful!

I too thought I had already posted on your thread too..:confused:

Pulling up a chair .. :)

Mike what Char said!!

JJ

Dublin
06-13-2005, 10:38 PM
Glad you are doing this as a WIP, I know it will be another good one and I want to see how you handle the transparancy of the tulle. This is difficult stuff. If I could note, your photo shows the bridge of the nose not as broad as your sketch, narrowing that will help with the eyes.
On with the good stuff.!
Brian

Dake
06-14-2005, 01:12 AM
Hey Sarah, background's lookin fine, colors will be pretty analogos by the look of it, which should give the painting warm cohesive quality.
Good luck with the rest:)

Turtle33
06-14-2005, 05:17 PM
hi Dake and thanks again for looking!
i'm into it and like the way the colors turned out too.
there's also some illumination that will be happening later on. it is in the pic so some of the tulle is going to be warm yellow tones.

hi Dublin and thanks for looking :wave:
the tulle is going to be hard to do and i'm still not sure how but i think i will get it right.
i took a close up of my face with the changes. let me know what you think now? thanks!

hi JJ (((hugs)) and thanks for looking :wave:
where's the food? you got your chair? i just want chocolate right now :p

here's an update. colors used now (for the origami cranes are cerulean and DS lapis.
i'm still working with the same color schemes but added some DS hematite.
thanks for looking and comments/crits appreciated!

Sarah
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2005/16927-DSCF0269.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2005/16927-DSCF0270.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2005/16927-DSCF0271.JPG

Jijo
06-14-2005, 05:51 PM
Hi Sarah, terrific drawinng and becoming an outstanding painting!!!! those origami are perfect, I´ll follow this close, great lesson.
alex

painterbear
06-14-2005, 05:53 PM
Sarah,

You've come in with a bang with the wonderful color and shape of the cranes! Those little touches of red amidst the blue are fabulous.

Sylvia

Turtle33
06-14-2005, 07:00 PM
hi Sylvia ((hugs)) and thanks for looking again!
so far, i'm happy with the cranes and am going for that 3D thing.
i forgot to say that the mobile i'm working from is on the paper. those are all the cranes i am positioning and painting from life.

hi Alex and thanks for looking :wave:
Loew Cornell spotter is being used to paint the cranes.
i'm getting there but am going out a little tonight.

thanks again!

Sarah

RogerPf
06-14-2005, 07:17 PM
This painting is amounting to a near volcanic explosion of cranes and woman. :)

Many thanks Sarah
--
Roger

FriendCarol
06-14-2005, 07:31 PM
Sarah, the last time I dropped in and found a thread of yours you were doing reflections on top of reflections in a window, on top of a wedding dress and a mannequin! So I am quite sure a few layers of tulle will not throw you at all. As usual, you will simply look at it, see it, and paint it. (You really do make it seem that easy, until we try to follow!) :D

I'll be back later this week to see the progress. (The bridge of the nose is probably looking broader than it is because you quite sensibly outlined from the outer edge -- the shadow where it starts. An online friend is working on a picture in which a woman's arm looks very fat for the same reason -- no modeling yet.)

Turtle33
06-14-2005, 07:39 PM
hi Carol :wave:
thanks for looking and commenting :) i'm hoping the tulle will get painted well but with the illumination it might be really hard.
everything is falling in place right now. i'm taking my time with the painting too. i don't want to mess up!

hi Roger :wave: :)
thanks again for checking in!
what you say is almost poetic! thank you!
i'm realy hoping for a good painting here!

Sarah

KathyJB
06-14-2005, 07:57 PM
Sarah,
this is coming along so beautifully... i will keep dropping in and looking,
this is superior work!!!

Kat

Jijo
06-14-2005, 09:51 PM
Sarah I am soooo happy you´ve left those cold statues and started with real gorgeous live women!!!!! LOL. just wishing the origamis left enough space for you....
alex

Dake
06-14-2005, 11:49 PM
Jijo's said my thoughts re the statues. Coming on well so far Sarah, the contrast of smooth lines and warm skin of woman against the jagged lines of cold blue crane should really be exciting.

Turtle33
06-15-2005, 11:04 AM
hi Dake and thanks again for looking :wave: :D
that sounds poetic too!
i'm really exploring ideas and i am pretty much away from sculptures right now. this is good practice for me and even my former art teacher said, "i'm finally thinking things through and have some great ideas".

hi Alex and thanks agian for looking :wave:
there aren't alot of cranes in the painting, really. most of them are at the bottom of the painting. in the pic i just showed, the blue cranes are the actual cranes from life that i'm working from :)

hi Kathy!
thanks for looking! i will probably have an update later on tonight or tomorrow morning!

Sarah

ripvanblair
06-15-2005, 02:08 PM
Enthralling Sarah , can't wait for the next installment------Alan

Turtle33
06-15-2005, 04:34 PM
hi Alan :)
thanks again for looking!

Sarah

painterbear
06-15-2005, 04:45 PM
Sarah,

Boy did I make a mistake, I thought the blue cranes were part of the painting, but now I see what you mean about using the mobile as models for the cranes you will be painting on your picture. :rolleyes: Duh! :cool:

Now that the Award Buttons are back, I'm going to give you a Merit one (this is a test to see if it lets me since I gave one yesterday). ;) I think you deserve one for this painting and the others you've done.

Sylvia

Turtle33
06-15-2005, 05:32 PM
hi Sylvia (((hugs)))
i should have clarified that for everyone. i didn't move the cranes from the painting because i was painting them from life and they were in positions i needed them to be in. i know we are supposed to treat our paper like it's gold and i do but the size of the paper is too large not to put the mobile on it.
here's a pic of the painting again and i circled the cranes with red. that is not the painting but i wish i could paint that well!
the cranes are actually going to be whitish for the most part. i did use some perm rose in the ones painted too so that's why i thought you said that about the red :o
here's the pic with the real cranes circled.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2005/16927-DSCF0269.JPG

i have some good news! i got a teaching job at the local museum :) i'm so excited about this! i'll be teaching starting November- a watercolor class! i'm nervous about it too but it should be so much fun ! i'll be teaching teenagers from high school art studios!
so, Alan, wherever you are...help :p ( i hope that didn't get too big).

Sarah

Yorky
06-15-2005, 05:50 PM
have some good news! i got a teaching job at the local museum i'm so excited about this! i'll be teaching starting November- a watercolor class! i'm nervous about it too but it should be so much fun ! i'll be teaching teenagers from high school art studios!

Wow! That's good news - the lucky students will have a real watercolourist and one with enthusiasm and a very special talent.

Doug

Dake
06-15-2005, 06:17 PM
:eek: OOh Alrighty then....well Sarah I did think you'd painted them and kinda wish you had, I thought the cross idea was really cool....I never realized it was the mobile hanging support. Hey you can't treat your paper like gold...respect it sure but it's made for YOUR idea not your idea for it :)
Hey, I'm not dissapointed though, it fooled me ...not that hard, @%$^ , I always fall for that one :rolleyes:
Congrats on the position at the museum, :envy: :clap: :envy: :clap:,

It's too early in the morning for me :(

Turtle33
06-15-2005, 06:18 PM
hi Doug (((hugs)) and thanks! i'm nervous about it but it will still be fun and having students that really want to learn watercolor will be so cool!

Sarah

Turtle33
06-15-2005, 06:34 PM
hi Dake!
i wish i could paint like that! what about the cranes i did paint? do they look ok so far?
that area is going to be me and alot of tulle. if you can see the lines drawn, the tulle is folded on itself, almost like an origami crane, paper folded on itself. the tulle is just covering me and there is some illumination from a light source behind me so it ought to look ok if i can pull it off.
thanks for the congrats! this is territory i haven't covered before. i taught before but it was age 6 to 12. this is a whole new thing for me and it will be strictly watercolor so i can definitely plug the medium!

Sarah

Dake
06-15-2005, 06:54 PM
Sarah, the close up of the crane shows your forming them up nicely...now that is some detailed work, it's gonna take some patience to get through this.....especially for you :D :D :D
A real challenge with the tulle but I reckon you will do it with flying colors :cat:

Craig D
06-15-2005, 07:10 PM
The cranes you painted so far look much better than "OK".
All looking very good.
Congrats on the teaching post.
Craig

KathyJB
06-15-2005, 07:13 PM
Oh LOL I thot you painted those also ..was thinking.... such detai which you normally do anyhow... well the white ones are great too... what a fun mistake
this is coming along wonderfully,

Kat

laudesan
06-15-2005, 07:36 PM
WOOT !!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

Congrats on the teaching position!!

JJ

Turtle33
06-15-2005, 09:04 PM
hi JJ (((hugs))) and thanks! that means alot to me!
i'm still nervous about doing this and hope they think i am doing well enough!

hi Kathy and thanks for looking! i should have waited to snap a pic without the cranes but i seriously can't move them right now. it is funny and i'm sorry if i confused anyone :o i seriously wish i could paint that well!

hi Craig and thanks for looking :wave:
the cranes need a little more work with some finer detail but i'm getting there. i had to work on and off today. i would have rather been painting than at a seminar for 4 hours. :mad:
thanks for the congrats!

hi again Dake :D
the cranes are detailed and theres lots of them at the bottom, especially. i'm currently using some suggestion with the other cranes you see against the caput, perm rose, lunar earth colors BG. i'm lifting the pigment for that effect and using my favorite blotter- toilet paper :p thats why i use Fabriano paper. it has such great liftability so when i make mistakes or want to lift, it's so easy to do!
i'm still nervous about the tulle but if i apply a similar plan to it like i did the last painting of the wedding gown- Domestic Dreams, i think it will work.

thanks again everyone for your comments and help!

Sarah

Turtle33
06-16-2005, 06:37 PM
hi everyone :)

here's an update on the painting. i'm still painting cranes, same colors, DS lapis, some aureolin, perm rose , cerulean and whatever is on the palette rightnow. i'm still using my spotter.

i took a close up of the cranes for everyone to see and just to see the scale of the painting, here's a pic of me painting.

thanks for looking! comments and crits appreciated

Sarah
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2005/16927-DSCF0273.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2005/16927-DSCF0274.JPG

Strider
06-16-2005, 07:12 PM
Sarah, I'm late to this thread, but geesh, looks like a great start on a bold painting! Love yer studio, wine bottles and all! lol

Turtle33
06-16-2005, 07:16 PM
hi Kevin and thanks for looking :wave:
i love wine, especially since my trip to Italy! i save bottles because they make great watercolor paper weights :p

Sarah

Dake
06-16-2005, 07:21 PM
What do yo think about while you're painting, it can't be just the painting, so big so many cranes? My mind would be wandering off, i think I'd need another less demanding painting going at the same time(or several)to break the ryhthm up a bit.

AnneBedford
06-16-2005, 07:22 PM
Looks like you still have a way to go. I will give this quick reply. I like what you have done so far....good cranes. You must have the patience of Job! Keep posting stages.
Anne

FriendCarol
06-16-2005, 07:24 PM
Now, Sarah, be honest: Did you get the idea for this painting because it's fun to sit on the new flooring without too many clothes? :p (I hope that's the new flooring!)

The cranes look very 'tumbled.' Great job so far. :)

Alan Cross
06-16-2005, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the update Sarah but I still don't know howyou paint like that my back hurts just looking at you.....

Turtle33
06-16-2005, 08:07 PM
hi Carol and thanks for looking!
no, this is not new flooring yet. the new flooring is going to be laminate flooring, and it's named boathouse pine. it's going to be almost white washed with some pine showing through and some pale grays. this entire studio is going to be re-done when i'm in Canada in July. we're waiting until i'm not here painting to do it.
the idea for the painting came from wanting to do a self portrait but also getting some practice on the human form. the way the tulle folded when i had it on reminded me of origami cranes. i feel like i have a connection with birds somehow and cranes are birds so i thought this would be cool :cool:

hi Anne and thanks again for looking :wave: i do take my time when painting and work 2-3 jobs at a time so it's not always instant. i am really enjoying this painting though!

hi Dake :wave:
cool question! i definitely think about the painting and color choices.
during the day, i have the tv on for BG noise. i also watch CSI on theSpike network when i'm not at work at night. so, i paint some easy areas during that time :p i think about alot of things. weekend plans, schedules, and just my life in general, which is going really well! i am happy with what i've been able to do so far and friend and family i have.
i tried doing two paintings at a time and it just never works for me. i have to be concentrated on just one. i've been painting for 7 years and tend to work large so i'm pretty used to it.
thanks again for watching!

Sarah

artman42
06-16-2005, 08:16 PM
Hi Sarah, been Lurking at your thread, Doing well.... :)

Gilberte
06-17-2005, 02:21 AM
Sarah, that's a great picture and wow what a large painting. Have you counted the cranes ? Would love to see this develop in person ...
Ciao !

Turtle33
06-17-2005, 04:44 PM
hi Gilberte :)

thanks for looking!
well, there aren't 238 cranes but i will get back to you on the count.
that number originially was the number of freckles i have and yes, they were counted :p

hi artman and thanks for checking in!

hi Alan (((hugs))) :D :wave:
you have no idea how much easier it is to paint on the floor! really, try it!
since your around, can you maybe PM me with some tips on teaching watercolor? i have some ideas but when you can and when your not too busy, i would really love your ideas and help!

thanks

Sarah

Alan Cross
06-17-2005, 08:16 PM
Sure I would be happy to help you any way I can...

Jijo
06-17-2005, 11:36 PM
Hi Sarah, the only way those wine bottle can weigh the paper is being full, and that is not big deal with italian wine....
The original drawing showed some knees, the pic shows REAL knees... now I am hating those cranes covering that part of your sketch....
It is interesting to see how you paint such enormous paper on the floor ( of course you dont have a rabbit as my daughter... pure cotton paper is it´s favourite snack) and how far your paints and water are, guessing you do gym while painting...
For the painting... WOW!!! it is huge!!!! have you done a little sketch first? or are you so brave as to start directly on king size???
alex

jaytee
06-18-2005, 03:05 AM
i have some good news! i got a teaching job at the local museum i'm so excited about this! i'll be teaching starting November- a watercolor class! i'm nervous about it too but it should be so much fun ! i'll be teaching teenagers from high school art studios!
Sarah, thats fantastic ........

i think about alot of things. .........., and just my life in general, which is going really well!
and thats even better...........

I had a quick peep at this at the begining........... and have been rooting silently for you till now............at last I can pull up a chair and enjoy the unfolding of the folds.

I have a feeling this is going to be a pivotal piece in your career :)

I love it that you are begining to answer the 'What/why' questions . Just in the past few days I have started producing stuff in a style I have been after for a while....... and though Im pleased to have got there at last Ive already started thinking... 'so What ? Another vase of flowers........ WHY???' ( I have painted 4 in a row !!!)

You have now shifted beyond what your external eye sees to what your internal mind is thinking...........and you did that, not through being told, but by listening and thinking for yourself.......

I would give my eye teeth ( if I still had them:D) to be a teenage disciple of yours at this stage in your development...........

[[[[[[[[[BIG HUGS]]]]]]]]]]]

PS I bought some chocolate :D:D

artmom
06-18-2005, 09:53 AM
Sarah, I bow down in awe at your talent!

Hugs.

Lyn

Turtle33
06-18-2005, 03:13 PM
hi (((hugs))) Lyn and thanks for looking :wave:
thanks for what you said, but i really am stil learning and finding my way through things! everyone's art is so awesome on this forum :clap: :clap:

hi Jaytee (((hugs))
thanks for looking and lurking :p
Alan has already been a huge help and i have to reply to him about what he told me about teaching!
thanks for what you said and i really hope this is going to help my career. this is really the first time i called it a career but i think i might be on the way now. i just spent 2 hours in the gallery this afternoon which was so cool! there was a sale of some prints by an artist there and i messed up the credit card machine :o :eek: i got help though and it went ok but i think about this as one of my jobs and it's really important to me not to mess up.
thats so cool that you are doing the what and why too! i totally know where your coming from there.
after my sculpture series, i thought the same thing. now what and why so that's when i started looking around where i am and i'm finding out alot about it and myself.
i'm just so happy to be part of this forum and community! the friends, artists and support given is priceless! alot of what i'm able to do now, i credit artists that are here because they have helped me so much :clap: :clap:

hi Alex and thanks for looking again!
i'll snap another pic without the cranes as soon as i'm done painting the one area. it shouldn't take too much longer.
too funny! sometimes, i'm actually just stooping on the floor and i move around the paper alot.
i didn't do any sketches ahead of time. i know that alot of artists do that but i did grid this one to get it right. so i'm not that brave but i did alot of math to get it looking right! i only started with a 8" X 11" picture printed from the comptuer and then did alot of math and measuring!

thanks Alan!
reply on it's way!

Sarah

KathyJB
06-19-2005, 12:41 AM
I looked in on your progress wow Sarah hats off to you!!!!
this is looking clever and wonderful .... I shall continue munching on my popcorn looking over your shoulder...

Sure I would be happy to help you any way I can...

Hey alan i could use some pointers too, I teach once a month and its coming up... will teach on the 29th,

Kat

Alan Cross
06-19-2005, 01:26 AM
You are very welcome Sarah....glad to be able to help you.....Kat you have being teaching for a while have you not? If I can help you let me know...one important thing I always try to do with my classes is really try and make sure everyone has fun!! Give them a task you really think they can have some success with and help them along the way....If you really want to teach put your heart into it and it will show. Students are an investment becuse world of mouth is your best advertizing . I always start out slow and build up speed as I get to know what my students are capable of and I really do like to push my students on to bigger and better things....just a few thoughts for you....Happy teaching!!

KathyJB
06-20-2005, 12:05 AM
Yes Alan I have been teaching but I like to see if I am missing anything with the students, Mine are all elderly and sometimes cant see as well as the next student so I have made it as simple as possible,
I am now introducing some stamiping ideas into the mix also
thanks those are good pointers Alan thanks,
Sarah let me know how the teaching position evolves,
Kat

Alan Cross
06-20-2005, 02:09 AM
Well I have found that would older people you need to keep it really simple....hope I don't get yelled at for saying that!

Yorky
06-20-2005, 03:12 AM
Alan - you're so right - I always keep in mind that some of our members may have eye problems, and that restricts the amount of detail they can paint.

Doug

Fabulous
06-20-2005, 07:43 AM
Sarah,

you are brave!

Such big size!
A Self portrait!
An almost-nude as a self portrait!
And this semi-transparence with the tulle...

Anxious to see the sequel...
Fab

KathyJB
06-20-2005, 08:27 AM
No Alan i dont asee how you would get in trouble, my students dont have any experience, except what i have taught them. I did a card project last month with very little painting... they wanted to go back to the watercolor class, while I had made itr simple there wers too many parts and peices andn they wanted to return to what they know.

This month I will stamp a large image and keep it simple...in this case we want to stay inside the lines.

Thanks
Kat

Sandy1
06-20-2005, 10:22 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: This is fabulous! Bravo girl! I just love watching this come together. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dake
06-21-2005, 10:50 AM
Well I have found that would older people you need to keep it really simple....hope I don't get yelled at for saying that!

Alan - you're so right - I always keep in mind that some of our members may have eye problems, and that restricts the amount of detail they can paint.

Sorry guys but both of these statements are beyond the pale and demonstrate a condescending attitude for one, and secondly, a profoundly isolationist, and narrow view that suggests that you believe that detail is in some way a measure of completeness or eloquence in a watercolour.

I have yet to come across statements of equal ignorance, insensitivity, and of utterly misleading content on wet canvas or anywhere else that may be considered the domain of intelligent and informative information on our art.

To all developing watercolourists the last thing they would need to be encouraged to do is to place detail above sentiment and broard statement made with flair and flourish.

Age and eyesight would have little bearing on why, or why not someone would be meticulous with detail.
And for you to suggest in such condescending tones that it does makes me utterly nauseas....jeez I'm mad at you guys!!!!

IMO shame on both of you :mad: :mad: :mad:

stewy2
06-21-2005, 11:29 AM
Now Dake...
I have been reading comments from Alan and Doug for several years. I can assure you they have never, I repeat never, intended anything condescending or narrow in view. They both demonstrate talent kindness and generousity to a level I only hope to aspire. I think it is often all too easy to read more into what is typed than was intended.

That being said...
The human condition brings with it, needs and abilities that are unique to each person, and change with that person's point in life. Some, but not all, people develop eyesight problems with aging. Some, but not all, people have a need for less complexity as they age. I for one have needed less complexity my whole life. This is not an attitude, but merely a possible condition to be allowed for when dealing with students of various ages or abilities. I believe Alan and Doug were speaking from a position of compassion and caring for the people to whom they are attempting to pass their knowledge.

Lighten up.

Karl

Yorky
06-21-2005, 11:33 AM
Sorry if you are offended, Dake, no intention to condescend was meant in my post.

Doug

Craig D
06-21-2005, 11:56 AM
perhaps not my place for this but how about anyone interested in debating this move off to a new thread and leave the WIP thread for the painting.

Thanks,
Craig

Alan Cross
06-21-2005, 12:09 PM
Now Dake...
I have been reading comments from Alan and Doug for several years. I can assure you they have never, I repeat never, intended anything condescending or narrow in view. They both demonstrate talent kindness and generousity to a level I only hope to aspire. I think it is often all too easy to read more into what is typed than was intended.

That being said...
The human condition brings with it, needs and abilities that are unique to each person, and change with that person's point in life. Some, but not all, people develop eyesight problems with aging. Some, but not all, people have a need for less complexity as they age. I for one have needed less complexity my whole life. This is not an attitude, but merely a possible condition to be allowed for when dealing with students of various ages or abilities. I believe Alan and Doug were speaking from a position of compassion and caring for the people to whom they are attempting to pass their knowledge.

Lighten up.

Karl
Thanks so much Karl I have nothing more to add to this you said it all for me. I like Doug ment nothing by those comments except I do go out of my way to help anyone of any age or talant paint to the best of there ablity.

mmcaloon
06-21-2005, 02:15 PM
Well said Karl, Doug and Alan. Graig your right - lets get to the painting.

bluegenes
06-21-2005, 02:42 PM
I agree with Craig...
Lets get back to what this thread is really about, Sarah's magnificent painting! :)

Patty

KathyJB
06-21-2005, 04:23 PM
Oh are we in a mood today?

Having worked with alzheimer patients for three years and now with assisted living patients on a once a month basis I can tell you without condescending that I have to keep it simple. It was good advice! My best painter has glaucoma... for her i stamped the image and she did very well after that. The was no condecding feeling in either of those remarks.
However...no one likes one to assume that they dont know anything or to talk to them as if they are 4 years of age that said: it still wasnt condescending,

Kat

Turtle33
06-21-2005, 05:09 PM
hi Sandy and thanks for looking :wave:
i'm totally getting there but it was a really busy weekend!
i got farther and am almost done with the cranes. i am sure i will get them done later on tonight.
i'm stil using the same colors for the cranes- cerulean, lapis, perm rose, and aureolin plus whatever is on the palette.
i'm also doing some washes on the tulle, where the illumination effect is happening. i'm using my T55 flat (Simmons) wash/glaze.

hi Fab :wave:
i bet it is gorgeous in Italy right now!
thanks for looking!

thanks again Alan!

WOW! the thread got big! theres alot to say about teaching but since i'm not doing that yet, i can't really reply but i still can learn.

here's an update.

Sarah

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jun-2005/16927-DSCF0303.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jun-2005/16927-DSCF0304.JPG

Alan Cross
06-21-2005, 05:26 PM
Great update Sarah thanks....looking forward to seeing this done and you know with or without you knowing it the way you paint is teaching a lot of people on here now all you need is to get paid for it.

painterbear
06-21-2005, 05:35 PM
Sarah,

The cranes are looking terrific! as is the rest of the painting. Take your time, you are doing a wonderful job of it.

My instructor, Nita Leland, has been telling us the same thing your professor did. "Think about what you want to say in your painting....what do you feel about the subject....what do you want people to think about when they look at it." I'm trying to put it to practice, but what do you say about a Cassaba melon and some cherries???? That's what I'm trying to paint right now. LOL!

Congratulations on getting the teaching job. You are so close to your own classroom experiences, just remember what your instructors started with and how they presented the materials and combine that with your own abilities and those kids will be in 7th Heaven! I'm sure you are going to do great.

Sylvia

Turtle33
06-21-2005, 08:35 PM
hi Sylvia ((hugs)) and thanks for looking and the encouragement!
i did start the washes for the skin now too, in between drying times for the cranes :)
i've always had the thoughts about what do i want to say but it did get away from me with the Italy sculptures. i think i did too many and my last one, was not near as good as my first one. i knew it was time to stop and there was nothing else to say, especially when just painting from a pic.
what i always love is when a painting i do gets a reaction from someone and they voice it to me (or i stand nearby to hear it). that is whats so exciting about art! it is funny because right now, i'm looking at a Michelangelo book, the paintings from the Sistine chapel and sat back down at my painting and said to myself, here i am playing with my paint again. its almost discouraging! but i still have something to say and feel when i'm painting this and i am into it!
thanks for the congrats and the confidence! i'm hoping to gain alot before November!

hi again (((hugs)) Alan!
i'm learning too! crits are so important and all the artists here have so much to give. they can see things i don't. that's why i appreciate this forum so much!

i'll have another update later on tomorrow and have a great night or great morning! depending on where you are!
oh and Dake, i'm painting and watching CSI again!

Sarah

Dake
06-21-2005, 09:41 PM
G'day Sarah, Good to hear you're on the floor with your brushes and self again. I'm not sure i could paint with the T.V although music's a must, everything from Mozart to Metalica
This is coming on well :clap: , i like your use of space/depth, the warm B/G vs the cooler, almost metalic cranes. It's interesting to watch you play this push/pull game with illusion of depth and flatness....will be good to see both in final work.
Have fun :)

Turtle33
06-22-2005, 06:20 AM
hi Dake :wave:
thanks for looking again!
the tv usually is just noise for me. sometimes, i look up at the screen but mostly, i'm painting. i also have to have it on when no one else is here with me at night, when i'm painting late. it's like my company and drowns out noises i hear :eek:
i listen to music too! all kinds including classical- Radiohead, Dylan, Beethoven and even Bjork :p i pop a CD into the DVD player for tunes during the day.
the colors are coming along. i also started working on the tulle that is illuminated. i'm using my Simmons T55 flat, Simmons 8 Titanium TT 60 shader too. skin color is a little perm rose, some aureolin and a little lunar earth, with wet washes. some caput is used for the close-up along with heavier lunar earth.
i'm having fun but i have to work today. i would rather stay home and paint!

here's an update with some flesh and some washes.

thanks for looking

Sarah

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jun-2005/16927-DSCF0001.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jun-2005/16927-DSCF0002.JPG

Roun2it
06-22-2005, 07:16 AM
Wonderful Sarah, and so big!!

jaytee
06-22-2005, 07:21 AM
Enchanting. ...and so subtle.....it occurs to me looking at the tulle that one of the wonderful things about watercolour is the way you can paint the 'front' layer before the back yet still get a sense of transparency and recession........ is that possible in te other media quite as much?

Gilberte
06-22-2005, 08:00 AM
Fan-tas-tique !

mhimeswc
06-22-2005, 08:56 AM
I try to peek in here every day to see what you've added. It's coming along SO good! I really like the subject and the composition too. You do look like an origami bird yourself in the pose. :)

Michelle

Sandy1
06-22-2005, 08:58 AM
Fantastic!

minov
06-22-2005, 09:15 AM
wonderful- I'll bet it's luminous IRL....
will be watching!

Turtle33
06-22-2005, 04:21 PM
hi min and thanks for looking :wave:
it's getting there but i still have alot of washes to do before it really illuminates!~

thanks Sandy :)

hi Michelle and thanks for looking :)
looking like the origami crane is what i was going for! thank you! i should have an update again late tonight or tomorrow morning!

thanks Gilberte :D

hi ((((hugs))) Jaytee :wave: :D
when i'm using acrylics (only when i have to for studio in college), i do water it down and can make it sort of like painting watercolor. when using oils, it might be possible but i can't find a way to get that transparency.
watercolor is my fave medium! it always has been and always will be. i'm sure of that!

hi Kev and thanks for looking :wave:

Sarah

Enia
06-22-2005, 08:56 PM
Beautiful!

Turtle33
06-22-2005, 09:13 PM
hi Enia and thanks for looking! :)

Sarah

Turtle33
06-23-2005, 06:52 PM
hi everyone :)

i have an update after alot of painting today!
i did some dry brush earlier today and there's a close-up of the area i'm talking about. the dry brush was done with DS lunar earth and WN caput. i used my Simmons 8 Titanium TT 60 shader for the dry brush and my K sable for the wet applied over the dry brush. i used WN cerulean blue only and i am so happy with the results! it just sunk right in and turned out like i hoped it would.
so, here's an update. thanks for looking

Sarah

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jun-2005/16927-DSCF0021.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jun-2005/16927-DSCF0018.JPG

bluegenes
06-23-2005, 07:25 PM
This is mesmerizing!!

Patty

Turtle33
06-23-2005, 07:48 PM
hi Patty :wave:
thanks for looking!

Sarah

FriendCarol
06-23-2005, 09:09 PM
It's getting to the exciting part now, after all those cranes! Isn't it neat when you plan a w/c effect and it works just as you planned? Always gives me a thrill when that happens (as if one day the pigments might stop doing what they do :rolleyes: )!

artmom
06-23-2005, 10:51 PM
Sarah, you really know how your paint and paper responds, don't you!

Well done. :D

Lyn

Gilberte
06-24-2005, 01:49 AM
Sarah, you really know how your paint and paper responds, don't you!

Well done. :D

Lyn

I can only echo Lyn ! :wave:

painterbear
06-24-2005, 04:32 AM
Sarah,

That looks terrific. I really like those bits of bluish-gray mingled with the other colors.

I've given your thread a rating and awarded you my Mentor Point for the day because your closeup photos of the work and your description of what you are doing are very informative.

As Carol said, Now we are getting to the good part, LOL! ;)

Sylvia

olliewood0702
06-24-2005, 09:28 AM
Wonderful WIP so far Sarah...I'm in awe of your skills. That close up of your dry brush is wonderful. This is going to be so beautiful....

BBL... :)

Turtle33
06-24-2005, 10:27 PM
hi Darla and thanks for looking :wave: :D
i was at the gallery most of the day but i got so much painting in there!
i did some more dry brush today as well.
my colors are pretty much the same as they have been throughout. i did add some DS burnt sienna today as well too. very wet washes with that mix and some lunar earth and aureolin.

hi Sylvia (((hugs)) and thanks for looking! thanks for the merit point and rating too :D i was really surprised at how well the cerulean worked there and plan on doing that again very soon. if you notice the close up of some folds of tulle, you can see the dry brush again and i am going to use some cerulean there too.
i am getting there and started more of the body under the tulle today as well as alot more of the tulle.

hi Gilberte and thanks for what you said!

hi (((hugs)))) Lyn !
honestly, i was only guessing that cerulean blue would work :)

hi Carol and thanks for looking :wave:
well, i am getting there but still have a few more cranes to paint.
it was so cool that the paint did what i hoped it would!

so, here's an update with some close-ups.
thanks for looking!

Sarah

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jun-2005/16927-DSCF0022.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jun-2005/16927-DSCF0023.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jun-2005/16927-DSCF0024.JPG

Ellen in Ont
06-24-2005, 11:19 PM
I'm late posting on this thread but watching closely along with everyone else. Just beautiful work as usual and love the subject and composition. Any more of that Earl Grey Lyn?

rue d'oak
06-25-2005, 12:52 AM
Sarah,
Thank you for sharing the progress of your painting - it is magical and instructive to see the evolution.

As you work, what are you doing with the drawing lines, which I can see? They are not evident to my eye, as you develop sections of the picture.

The blue really gives dimension, in my eye, and the folds of the garment echo the folds of the cranes so beautifully, pulling my eye in and around the painting. I am getting such a sense of motion, that the cranes feel ready to fly right out of their native flat plane!

I look forward to seeing the next stage :clap:
Jen

Turtle33
06-25-2005, 09:37 AM
hi Jen and thanks for looking :wave:
the drawing lines are still there, seen and some areas, you can't see them anymore. everything was drawn before i began painting and after layering/washes for the colors, you don't really see the lines anymore.
some more pastel color paintings, lines can be seen but faintly. i've seen alot of watercolors where the pencil drawing can faintly be seen and i'm not sure but i really don't think it's a problem? i don't erase after the pigment is down. most of the lines you see now will just blend in with the colors as i wash and layer.
thanks again for looking! i love to hear artist's impression/intepretation of my paintings.

hi Ellen and thanks for looking!
i'll have another update tomorrow!

Sarah

rue d'oak
06-25-2005, 01:52 PM
i don't erase after the pigment is down. most of the lines you see now will just blend in with the colors as i wash and layer.

Sarah,
Thanks for this info back. This is one arena where I always wonder what to do, mucking around on my own here. So basically I'm hearing that it is ok to see the lines if you are comfortable with the look...and to have confidence that as I use richer color, it won't be an issue.

I'm impressed that you ordered a frame in advance. Ah, a confident woman :D !!

ok so I am hooked on watching your progress. (Hmm, how does it feel to work so publically?)
Jen

painterbear
06-25-2005, 03:06 PM
Sarah,
The tulle is beginning to make an appearance and quite beautifully too. I like the distant, thoughtful expression on your face from what I can see of the drawing. Kind of like a Greek statue brought to life—Pygmalion, perhaps?

Jen,
Some of the best-known watercolor artists, Charles Reid comes to mind right away, never worry about the pencil showing, it is just part of their painting.

If you don't like that look, or for some reason want the pencil marks to disappear, I found that I can use my stretchable-rubber-type eraser to blot up the excess graphite from my drawing before I put any paint on the page. It leaves a very light drawing behind to follow that gets covered by the first layers of paint. Remember, you blot and dab with the eraser, not rub like you do when normally using an eraser.

Sylvia

Sylvia

Sylvia

Turtle33
06-25-2005, 05:42 PM
hi Sylvia and thanks for your comments!
you are so cool :cool: with your art history statements! gotta love art history! i really wasn't thinking about any certain facial expressions while the pics were being taken. i was looking for folds of tulle mostly. when i saw this picture/reference pic, i was sure that that was going to be the one to use and i immediately started drawing!

hi again Jen :wave:
Sylvia gave you some great advice and i too use a stretchy rubber eraser. my professor at college always tells us we have to treat our paper like gold. i take that very seriously.
my framer likes to do it that way too and he is an artist himself. i give him the pigment colors i'm going to use and he chooses the frame color. usually though, my mats are always an off white color.
i've been on WC for a long time now! the artists here are so helpful! i really would be lost without alot of them! they see things i can't and help with crits so much!

Sarah

Sarah

pampe
06-25-2005, 06:43 PM
coming along REALLY well

Turtle33
06-25-2005, 08:43 PM
hi (((hugs))) Pam and thanks for checking in!

Sarah

Celeste McCall
06-25-2005, 08:49 PM
Hi Sarah,
This is looking great. In china painted portraits using sheer fabric, the hardest thing to paint is the texture of the hair that shows through.

In china painting we paint a blue sheer fabric for instance with all of it's folds, then we paint the skin and hair on top of that. Wiping out (back to the light) the folds that are opaque. So, this is interesting to watch. :) :) :)

I'm present in the gallery. GREAT JOB so far! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :D :D :D

KathyJB
06-25-2005, 11:06 PM
This is so mysterious just love the process and the results, what a joy to watch this,
bravo
kat

laudesan
06-25-2005, 11:31 PM
Still here..........

Waiting anxiously for next update..:p

Dake
06-26-2005, 05:36 AM
Sarah, Hi , Have you started the face yet? Maybe check the nose using a mirror with yourself in the mirror next to it. It just looks a bit pinched or small compared to your avatar but I may be way off the mark. Cameras can do weird things to proportions.

Sandy1
06-26-2005, 11:08 AM
I just can't seem to wait for the next installments on this. It is just fabulous! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Turtle33
06-26-2005, 12:30 PM
hi Sandy and thanks for looking!
i took some of the day off yesterday and was out fishing with my boyfriend.
i'm going to get back to it today!

hi Dake :wave: :D
i just did a wash on the face so there is some pigment there. i'll take another look at my nose, just like you suggested and paint it better. maybe take a look at a couple pics- the first one is the actual head shot, the second one is my avatar. let me know, please.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2005/16927-ff.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2005/16927-Sarah_Recent.jpg

hi JJ (((hugs)) and thanks for looking!
i'm going to get another update later on tonight, i'm sure!

hi Kathy and thanks again for looking! it's a fun painting and a good exercise for the human form!

hi Celeste and thanks for looking :wave:
the hair is going to be hard and the body! thanks for the great tip too! i'm going to use that!

Sarah

Enia
06-26-2005, 01:12 PM
Hi Sarah! This painting glows! Thank you for sharing the steps you're taking - it's very helpful.

Faafil
06-26-2005, 01:52 PM
Hi Sarah!

WOW - I'm at a loss for words. I haven't been around WC! the past several months, and I'm so glad I peeked in!! It is a truly great pleasure to watch your artistic growth here, and thank you for sharing your talent....

What's the word?? "Gobsmacked" ?? :) This is a fabulous piece.... I had a quick look at Domestic Dreams too, and that is simply outstanding....

I agree with Roger - you have arrived.... :clap: :clap: :clap:

FriendCarol
06-26-2005, 02:28 PM
This painting seems to be coming along beautifully! Imo, the nose is wider (at the nostrils) in the avatar shot because you are smiling in that shot, so I wouldn't worry about it. It will only look wide until it is modeled, I'm sure. :) I'm gonna keep checking in to see the big finish! :clap:

painterbear
06-26-2005, 03:40 PM
Sarah,

Be very careful of where the tulle is touching your nose—that is one of the things Nita Leland always cautions us about. I think she calls them "intersections" where two elements touch. You don't want to make a line under your nose like that IMHO. You could move the tulle down a little so it doesn't look like it is catching right under your nose or move it up so it covers the tip of your nose. Once you put more skin tones on, that might stand out in a way you didn't intend it to.

Sylvia

Turtle33
06-26-2005, 05:34 PM
hi Sylvia :wave:
((hugs)))
that is a really, really good point! i definitely don't want that to happen so my choice is going to be to move the tulle up over the tip of the nose! thank you for reminding me of that! i seriously didn't even give that thought!

thanks for your advice too Carol! i really do appreciate it!

Hi MaryLou :wave: :D :clap: i'm glad you are back!
thanks for looking in! what you said means alot to me! thank you!
i'm not sure i arrived yet but i am giving alot of thought of what it all means to me!

hi Enia and thanks for looking! if you read Sylvia's reply, it just goes to show you that (and along with Dake taking notice) just being here, helps the other artists so much!

Sarah

Nandie
06-28-2005, 02:50 AM
Sarah,

Be very careful of where the tulle is touching your nose—that is one of the things Nita Leland always cautions us about. I think she calls them "intersections" where two elements touch. You don't want to make a line under your nose like that IMHO. You could move the tulle down a little so it doesn't look like it is catching right under your nose or move it up so it covers the tip of your nose. Once you put more skin tones on, that might stand out in a way you didn't intend it to.

Sylvia

I'm also concerned with that... the tulle seems to cut your face in half. If you move it a bit like Sylvia suggested, and / or even have it crossing your face in a bit of a diagonal, it might look better than straight across.

Lookin' good lady!!! ;)

Yorky
06-28-2005, 03:11 AM
If you have it higher it will give the appearance of a yashmack ;)

Doug

jaytee
06-28-2005, 05:11 AM
Sarah.........Dougs comment about the Yashmak got me thinking........ there's a wonderful tension between the idea of being modestly covered........ and yet naked under tulle......... also it would throw attention onto the eyes...

fishing with the boyfriend soulds like a lovely relaxing thng to do ..... all work no play etc :D not that you'll ever be dull !!!!

Turtle33
06-28-2005, 06:49 PM
hi Jaytee ((hugs))) :D
that actually sounds like a cool idea! i will give it some thought but right now, i'm really just concentrating on the tulle and my legs under the tulle.
it would definitely draw alot of attention to the eyes which would be awesome!
thanks for that suggestion too!

hi (((hugs))) Doug! that is a fun idea!

hi Nandie :wave:
diag might work too. it's getting a little hard right now but i'm still taking my time and thinking it through.
thanks for looking!

here's an update!
i'm still using my same palette, aureolin, caput, cerulean, lunar earth, etc. i got another close-up of the dry brush again and that addition of cerulean really pulls the cool and warm together nicely.

thanks for looking and comments and crits welcome!

Sarah
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jun-2005/16927-DSCF0025.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jun-2005/16927-DSCF0026.JPG

Alan Cross
06-28-2005, 06:56 PM
Hey no fishing till this is finshed!!! (just kidding) Looking good waiting for you to appear out of the mist.... :)

Turtle33
06-28-2005, 07:47 PM
hi Alan (((hugs))) :D :p
i'm working today, all day! i've been up since 6 AM working on the painting! seriously, fishing is fun but i love painting!

Sarah

stephie20
06-28-2005, 07:50 PM
Sarah.....this is stunning work....as ever.......will be watching for the finish

Mary Smith
06-28-2005, 11:54 PM
Wow, gorgeous as usual, I can't wait to see this finished!!!!

Nandie
06-29-2005, 04:53 AM
Whoa!!!! Those shadowed areas ROCK!!!!!

I LOVE the texture! I LOVE the texture! I LOVE the texture! I LOVE the texture! I LOVE the texture! I LOVE the texture! I LOVE the texture! I LOVE the texture!

***Did I mention I LOVE the texture?*** ;)

ripvanblair
06-29-2005, 05:01 AM
This is fascinating, it's a tonic looking at this thread, you better watch Sarah, there's going to be a lot of young men, and some old ones too with broken hearts after looking at this-----------very well done-----------Alan

Turtle33
06-29-2005, 11:43 AM
hi Alan and thanks for looking :wave:
i'm really happy with the painting so far! everything just seems to be falling into place!

hi Nandie! thanks for looking again! :wave:
so, you like the texture :wink2: :p actually, it is coming along but there's still so much more to add to it. too funny!

hi Mary and thanks for looking :wave:

hi Stephie and thanks for loking! i'm taking my painting to the gallery to work on so i'll update it later today.

Sarah

artmom
06-29-2005, 12:01 PM
Sarah, this is really coming to life! :D

Lyn

mustcreate
06-29-2005, 12:47 PM
what an extremely personal piece this has become......stunning Sarah...simply stunning!!!

Sandy1
06-29-2005, 02:46 PM
I agree with all of the above, watching in awe. :clap:

Turtle33
06-29-2005, 07:56 PM
hi Sandy and thanks again for looking!
i'm going to snap a pic later tonight and post late, late tonight or tomorrow AM.
i got alot done in the gallery again!

hi Em and thanks for looking and what you said! it is personal and im really enjoying this painting!

hi (((hugs))) Lyn! it came more t life earlier today!

thanks everyone for your comments and help with this!

Sarah

Jijo
06-29-2005, 09:20 PM
nicer each time I come here.. little steps, huge results!!!!
alex
BTW I like your bright nose at the ref pic!!!

KathyJB
06-29-2005, 10:07 PM
WOW and WOW again!!!
such flowing lines you have created awesome work,
I will stay tuned for the finish,
Kat

Turtle33
06-30-2005, 09:31 AM
hi Kathy and thanks for looking again!
i got alot done in the gallery and i'm really happy with the results! i do have to work today and tomorrow but i'm hoping for alot more painting over weekend!

ho Alex and thanks for looking :wave: my nose does look bright! i think it's because of the lighting i had in the room!

here's an update. the only brushes new into this painting are my Simmons #10 round.

so, this is where i'm at. thanks for looking and comments and crits appreciated!
thanks!

Sarah
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2005/16927-DSCF0018.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2005/16927-DSCF0019.JPG

Fabulous
06-30-2005, 10:05 AM
Sarah,
it's wonderful to see how this is coming to life!

watching this wip is like reading a thriller: as soon as you read a page, you would immediately like to see what is there in the next page...

Fab

mustcreate
06-30-2005, 10:09 AM
love that arm!!

wonderful how those cranes "pop" against the background

you've asked for crits - it's difficult to critique at this point Sarah....it's an odd body pose and I am having difficulty "filling in the blanks" of the unfinished bits.

your left calf (viewer see it on the right side of the painting) looks a bit bigger compared to your right calf - but that could be once again the odd pose or the fabric distorting it.

I'll be looking for the next update:)

em

lyn lynch
06-30-2005, 10:09 AM
Boyfriend!! Fishing!! Two things I did not know about you. Happy to hear about both. This work is wonderful. Your schooling is showing. Congratulations about being admitted to the gallery.

aquarius
06-30-2005, 02:49 PM
WOW Sarah, I am late in but I am so glad I opened your thread and to see this mythical, mysterious girl coming to life.......you really master those muted colours, so soft and fragile, love it !! The cranes also are perfect, this is going to be a winner !!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Will be back, promise!! :wave:

Carola

Turtle33
06-30-2005, 07:04 PM
hi Carola :)
thanks for looking in!
i'm not so used to muted colors but this is going well for me. i'm moving along again tonight so hopefully, i will get alot more done!

hi (((hugs))) Auntie Fookie! i missed you!!
thanks so much for looking! yes, i have a bf and he's awesome! i'm actually back together with my high school sweetheart and we are friends too!
i love college (except for cultural anthropology. yes, it was cool learning about the different cultures but guess what- the chapters about the culture's art, the professor skipped over :mad: i'm also not taking watercolor studio next semester :( my professor said i have to get some more intros in. so that's what i'm going to do. thanks for the congrats and take care!

hi Em and thanks for looking again! the pose is weird and how i'm stooping on the stool makes it look strange. actually, my other thigh isn't really showing in the reference pic. check your PM when you get a chance.
the tulle is in the front of the leg. i really do appreciate your looking and noticing though!

hi Fab and thanks for looking :wave:
i love what you said and thank you!

Sarah

Alan Cross
06-30-2005, 09:48 PM
Hi Sarah I am still hanging around.... lol I am also haveing a bit of a hard time seeing your shape....the tulle must be driving you crazy!! Looking forward to seeing more.

Turtle33
07-01-2005, 09:19 PM
hi Alan (((hugs)))
maybe this will help with seeing the form. i got more painting in, in between being at work and coming home for lunch the last couple of days.
the deep shadows/depth are being done with mostly caput (WN) and some transparent red oxide (DS) newly introduced into the painting as well as some naphthamide maroon (DS). a new brush being used is a Simmons A 83 # 12 round and it's working out well for me with the colors. alot of times though, i'm also mixing with what i already have on my realy messy palette! if everyone was to see my palette, you wouldn't believe it :p

so,heres another update and a close up. i'm doing alot of dry brush again too.

thanks for looking!
Sarah
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jul-2005/16927-DSCF0018.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jul-2005/16927-DSCF0019.JPG

Alan Cross
07-01-2005, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the update :) Now I can see more are you working from a real nude photo cus your brests seem to be a bit far apart.....you are really coming along nicly....also if I don't answer back again I am off in the morning for a little get away....about a week.

Nandie
07-02-2005, 05:41 AM
your left calf (viewer see it on the right side of the painting) looks a bit bigger compared to your right calf - but that could be once again the odd pose or the fabric distorting it.
em

Turtle, I wrote a reply to this yesterday and it got lost somehow. Anyway, I wanted to say that I agree with Em..... I realise that the Tulle causes some distortion, but I drew some lines on your painting to show you what I think Em is talking about... at least, this is what I see:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2005/14007-TurtleWC.jpg

Your calf on leg #2 seems much wider than on leg #1. Perhaps if you got rid of the curve on the far right of leg #2 that would help us to imagine that both legs are the same. I don't know how your reference pic shows this.... but maybe you need to take a bit of "artistic license" here to make the legs "make sense" to the viewer.

Otherwise, you are doing great, can't wait to see the next installment!

Turtle33
07-02-2005, 09:45 AM
hi Nandie and thanks for looking and helping me with this!
alot of leg two is covered with tulle. it's hardley visible and i was going for that effect. the tulle is done there. i do see what you mean by it looking too big. take a look at the bottom half of the reference pic. maybe that wil help things too. i thik getting rid of the curve at the left of the leg does make sense to me. please check out the reference pic though before i do that.
thanks so much for your help! :D

hi Alan (((hugs)) and i hope you have a great vacation :clap:

here's the bottom half of the reference pic.

Sarah

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2005/16927-dd.jpg

painterbear
07-02-2005, 10:03 AM
Sarah,

I think what is throwing that leg off somewhat is how clearly you have painted the curving part. Perhaps if you make it look a little more opaque as it is in the reference, it won't look as if it is larger than the one on our left (your right).

Sylvia

ElizabethAnne
07-02-2005, 10:03 AM
Sarah, I just wanted to let you know that I'm sitting here very quietly, watching your progress, clappies read for when you finish. I love watching your WIP's.

ElizabethAnne

Turtle33
07-02-2005, 10:14 AM
hi ElizabethAnne :wave:
thanks for looking!

hi Sylvia (((hugs)))!
your right and i can do some lifting and then some modifications! i keep looking at it and i think i understand now!~ it's always so good to have alot of other eyes looking at it!

Sarah

Alan Cross
07-02-2005, 10:49 AM
Just one more comment before I run out the door that is one tough ref to work from I don't know how you got it as close as you are getting it....good job.

Turtle33
07-02-2005, 11:14 AM
hi Alan (((hugs))) :wave: :D
i don't know how i did it either and i'm not sure i did now that i keep looking at it :eek:
have a great vacation! hopefully it will include a beach and lots of sun!

Sarah

Nandie
07-02-2005, 10:04 PM
Yes I think if you lift out that curved bit and make the Tulle appear more opaque there with some more lifting you'll fix the problem. Good luck! :)

rue d'oak
07-03-2005, 02:42 AM
Sarah,
I've been dropping by over the last week as I get kids ready for camp and travel, just watching the evolution. And I strongly agree with Andrea and Sylvia, about lifting out or softening the curve. another voice of encouragement, support, awe and excitement as your work comes to life.
Jen

HarvestMoon
07-03-2005, 03:20 AM
Beautiful sketches- I would hate to see my self-potrait in the same pose.

Turtle33
07-03-2005, 08:15 AM
hi Purples and thanks for looking :)
trust me, the tulle is there for a reason :p

hi Jen :wave: thanks for looking again! i lifted some of the line and added more lines for the tulle. the tulle lifting i did shows that the tulle is covering the leg and flowing over to the bottom of the ankle (which can't be seen). the tulle is shown in red and the skin is shown in blue/purple lines to help distinguish better, the skin from tulle. this way, i can still show skin showing through and the tulle.

hi Nandie :wave: here's the update and thanks again for your help!

Sarah

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jul-2005/16927-DSCF0022.JPG

laudesan
07-03-2005, 09:10 AM
Sarah, your painting is coming along beautifully.. :)

I have one question??

See pic below, what is that, that i have circled in pink????
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jul-2005/22284-sarah.jpg

It is the dark curved bit that has me puzzled??

Turtle33
07-03-2005, 09:44 AM
hi JJ (((hugs))) and thanks for looking!
that part is actually some skin and some tulle. i'm trying to show how the tulle folds over in that area, almost making it a large piece of tulle, separated from the tulle cascading downward.
the pic i took is actually darker than it should be.

Sarah

Fabulous
07-04-2005, 04:58 AM
Hi Sarah.

I am not at all an expert in human figure drawing, but in my humble opinion I would see something like this:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2005/23121-DSC04286.JPG

Your photo is hiding the details of the calfs, but I think you should know what is behind the tulle when painting it. I think that both calfs would be visible if you had no tulle, both of a similar size (differences due to the strange position).

Then you can paint the tulle on (which is tricky because indeed it is white and then you "leave the white" instead of layering it over the legs)

If you had really be very accurate in copying the ref photo, you would have left your left calf pretty much covered by a non-trasparent stack of tulle layers. Instead you painted the calf quite sharp. You of course can do it, but then you have to go back and ask yourself what you would see if you had no tulle in front...

I hope this helps

Fab

Turtle33
07-04-2005, 09:09 AM
hi Fab :)

i definitely see what you mean too! thank you for helping me with this! what i did was decided it was too much of a problem not to modify so i did as best that i could without compromising the paper. i added tulle to make the leg almost invisible and gave that area folds and curves of tulle and left a little skin showing but not much. you said, "If you had really be very accurate in copying the ref photo, you would have left your left calf pretty much covered by a non-trasparent stack of tulle layers" so that is exactly what i did. please let me know how it looks now :)
i also have the lines painted now, where the top of the tulle, around my face will be.
so, here's an update. i began painting the hair last night- wet on dry and used transparent red oxide (DS), caput (WN) and deep quin gold (DS).
thanks for looking and crits appreciated!

Sarah
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2005/16927-DSCF0021.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2005/16927-DSCF0022.JPG

jaytee
07-04-2005, 09:28 AM
Sarah....... I am so busy admiring the way the cranes have become a natural evolution of the tulle I doubt I would have noticed the calves !!! ( Pay attention JT!!!) And I do like the yashmak position you have chosen for the tulle across the face:) definitely adds a je-ne-sais-quoi.......really makes me think about what you are thinking in teh painting :)

This is such a major step forward youa re bound to wonder about it from time to time...... you are actually putting several more layers of meaning onto the 'reality' of the photograph....... so what you paint needs to support what you are trying to say not just be an accurate reproduction........ though of course it if doesnt 'read right' to the viewer, then that should be a deliberate choice on you part..... because of what you want to say.......not because of innacurate representation ;)

[[[[hugs]]]]

Turtle33
07-04-2005, 09:52 AM
hi Jaytee (((hugs)) and thanks for looking in! :wave: :D
i like the position of the tulle now, across the face, alot better! it is going to work well and thanks for all the great suggestions, from everyone :clap:
i'm actually wondering alot about the painting now, including the technical side and what my watercolor professor would say, especially about the calf problem but i think i got that worked out now. i'm happy with it and i do like the way the tulle works there.
the painting does have meaning to me but since i'm a realist, i still have to get it right, i think. it is though more important with what it says, i know. the painting won't be hanging in the Gallery until September but it will be so exciting to hear what other's think and say about it! i've tried to do my portrait with modesty and class. believe me, i've seen some photographs and painting that are very much lacking that, mostly because of words painted on a wall or something behind the painting. not because of content of the subject itself. i'm definitely not a prude though and i do appreciate that every work has a meaning to the artist.
i have run into a problem with it though. i wanted both breasts covered for the most part but the way i drew in the tulle, the right breast is going to be more uncovered than i want it to be. i was having alot of trouble last night trying to develop it but after a 1/2 hour break or so, i think i got it drawn in now and when i start slapping paint around, it should work.
thanks again for looking :D

Sarah

artmom
07-04-2005, 10:25 AM
Sarah, this is really coming together now. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Lyn

Turtle33
07-04-2005, 08:02 PM
hi Lyn (((hugs))) and thanks for looking!
tonight, i think i will get the painting done. i've been working on it alot today.
my next post will be the finished painting, i hope!

Sarah

Sandy1
07-04-2005, 09:55 PM
I am still here quietly watching and learning. Sarah I just love this! The colour and textures you have achieved is stunning to say the least. I am so looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

Jijo
07-04-2005, 09:57 PM
coming good Sarah!!!
Brave you to leave the face to last step.... I prefer to do the hardest parts fisrt... just in case... LOL
Shadows at the right elbow mmmm... seems fatter than real ones based on the ref pic..

Alex

mustcreate
07-05-2005, 01:39 PM
Sarah I apologise for raising a nit and then not returning.

I believe Andrea clarified in my absence.

The revisions you've made have helped it. and I totally understand about not wanting to compromise the quality of the paper by scrubbing and lifting.

upon further reflection I have marked the area that causes confusion for my eye and I believe you intended this area to be a fold in the tulle? I am posting this only as further clarification for future figure work and not as a direction or suggestion for you to do anymore scrubbing.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jul-2005/9879-16927a-DSCF0021.jpg

this piece really is much more than a figure work and I don't believe for a second that the nit I raised takes away from the feeling and meaning of it. I wouldn't worry about it.

em

FriendCarol
07-05-2005, 08:26 PM
Hi again, sweetie -- it's looking good! As it happens, I've been studying the figure recently, and I found this Rule, which I offer for your edification or ignoring, whichever you prefer!

The calf muscle is higher on the 'outside,' while the ankle is higher on the 'inside.' I don't know if the odd pose you've captured here makes the Rule irrelevant. The leg without the pink (above) looks about right with regards to the calf muscle, but I'm not sure about the leg with the pink. The calf muscle seems to swell quite low on the inside of the leg, as well as not swelling higher on the outside. :D

Such fun, figure drawing! Not to mention lifting paint! :p

Shelley P
07-06-2005, 08:04 AM
Sarah - I've been watching with great interest and it's facinating watching someone paint such a challenging piece. I saw the picture of you painting it on the floor - this is huge! What's the actual size and paper you are using? How to do bring home such a big sheet from the store without ruining it?
It seems that several people are reading that fold/pucker in the tulle as the line for your leg which makes it look fat. I suppose it's because it goes straight down from your knee. Perhaps a whisper of definition to show the actual leg is in order, just to help it read correctly.
This reminds me of a dream (or should I say a nightmare) I had several years ago as I was chasing a deadline to produce 100 dance costumes and tutus for a ballet school competition. Yep, that was just about how I looked, all wrapped up in tulle, only with a sewing machine in front, sequins strung from ear to ear and stress written all over my face ... it wasn't a pretty sight!!! You, on the other hand, look relaxed and lovely in tulle and this is going to be a masterpiece!
Shelley

Fabulous
07-06-2005, 08:24 AM
Sarah,

I think now the "problem" has been identified and restricted to that fold that reads like a huge calf...

It is maybe sufficient to follow some of the advices before, i.e. somehow changing the shape of that fold, maybe extending the dark towards up so that it merges into the pipe formed by the tulle, and then we can all focus on the beautiful painting as a whole instead than on this detail.

Keep up with the good work, brave girl!

Fab

mmcaloon
07-06-2005, 10:47 AM
Sarah I have been watchingthis develop and WOW I can't wait for the finish.

Europa
07-06-2005, 11:52 AM
Looking good - I can't wait either.

Pat

Turtle33
07-06-2005, 07:37 PM
hi Pat and thanks for looking!
i'm getting there!

hi mm and thanks for watching! it's almost done and tonight, will be the night!

hi Fab :wave:
i did correct the fold but i couldn't scrub it out. instead, i used another line for the tulle to make it look more like a piece of material sort of in motion. there really isn't anything else i can do to make it better but i'm happy with what i was able to do :)
i will post the finish later!

hi Shelley and thanks for looking :)
the paper is huge and i will get back to you on the size- i did measure it when i cut it from the roll but to re-cap it's Fabriano Artistico 140 lb rough and i buy it in a roll.
when i move the painting for framing or studio class, i roll it up and put it in a tube to protect it.
when i'm done with the painting, i will post it along with some close-ups.
i love your tutu story! i bet that was so overwhelming! i'm sure you laugh about it now!

hi Carol and thanks for looking!
i really do need to get more time in with figure study but i have to say that i am really happy with this painting as it is :) i can change things to make sense but i don't want to compromise the paper at that area any more. i especially don't want to over-work it either.

hi Em and thanks for looking and don't be sorry about anything! everyone's point is understood and i did my best to fix it.

hi Alex and thanks! i'm just finishing my face now! it's coming along so well and i'm really happy!

hi Sandy! thanks :)

thanks everyone for the great eyes, great support! almost! now, i'm getting back to the finish!

((hugs))
Sarah

bluegenes
07-07-2005, 07:58 AM
Can't wait!

Patty

Turtle33
07-07-2005, 07:53 PM
hi everyone :wave:
i was seriously expecting to be done last night but i found things harder than i thought!
this is where i'm at so far. it is now almost done! thanks for looking.
to show you a close up of the area that wasn't working, this is what i did

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2005/16927-DSCF0015.JPG

this is a close up of the face so far

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2005/16927-DSCF0014.JPG

this is the whole painting that hopefully, wil get done tonight or tomorrow.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2005/16927-DSCF0001.JPG

Sarah

Turtle33
07-07-2005, 08:01 PM
i want to say that what happened in London today is so sad :(
i hope it never happens again and everyone, stay safe!

Sarah

laudesan
07-07-2005, 08:41 PM
Gosh Sarah your painting is awesome. Your tulle is magnificent !!

Turtle33
07-07-2005, 08:45 PM
hi JJ (((hugs))) and thanks! i'm not done yet but i'm hoping soon!

Sarah

maryrose
07-07-2005, 08:53 PM
Great fix on the calf problem, Sarah!....Now that area reads as a more opaque fold of tulle.

What a lovely likeness you are capturing...can't wait to see your final touches.

CharM
07-07-2005, 09:20 PM
Hi Sarah... it's been awhile since I peeked in to see your progress... you are a talented young lady... don't fiddle anymore with the *fat* leg... lol... the overall composition is more important than damaging your paper...

Take the highlight out of the iris in your eyes and move it to the left of each iris... just a suggestion... it will make you look *dreamier* as opposed to focused and intent... then... deepen the iris colour to black...

You have certainly raised the bar with the innovative composition and beautiful colour in this painting... I can't wait to see your finish and will be back soon!!!

Fabulous
07-08-2005, 03:11 AM
Hi Sarah.

The calves-area correction is perfect.
The face is beautiful and full of the mistery I guess you wanted to convey.
Looking forward to the final touch-ups

Fab

jaytee
07-08-2005, 03:24 AM
To see this is a tonic after the events of yesterday.........thankyou for your sympathy

Cheering you on to the finish, Sarah :)

Fabulous
07-08-2005, 03:46 AM
By the way, Sarah: did you already explain why the cranes and why the title "238..."???

This thread is now huge (more than 200 posts...) and I couldn't easily find the answer to my question...

Fab

FriendCarol
07-08-2005, 08:15 AM
Excellent! Can't wait to see the great finish!!!

Turtle33
07-09-2005, 05:56 PM
hi everyone :wave:
i now can say i've finished this painting!!! i had some things to do to it and fixed my eye problem but i'm ready for the framing!
thanks everyone for following along and all your encouragement and help!

for Fab- here's the reason i did it.

i'm definitely going for it. it was an idea i had and thought it would be so cool. i'm still thinking back to my professor telling a student (during crits), "it's excellent, technically perfect! But, what is the meaning of it"? "what does it mean to you"? so, i'm starting to come up with ideas that have meaning.
this one was originally going to be called 38 moles. yes, all my freckles were counted and there are 238 i wanted to do a self portrait and the tulle used is sort of like doing a sculpture but this time life. i'm still fascinated with birds and bird feathers. i even made some oragami birds on my own, just for fun. so i thought i would add the oragami birds for the BG.
it's also practice for the human body painting. i really do need work on that! i'm just hoping it will be good enough for the gallery in August!

here's the finished painting, 238 Cranes.

Sarah

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jul-2005/16927-238_Cranes.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jul-2005/16927-DSCF0005.JPG

jaytee
07-09-2005, 06:05 PM
Hooray......... Im the first to see it pass the finishing line.......... and am FULL of admiration.......You have done a fantastic job, young lady......... I cant see any gallery not falling over backwards to hang this !!

[[[[[[HUGS]]]]]]

Just gone back for another look....... love the 'crane' in the fold of tulle under you chin ;)

Turtle33
07-09-2005, 06:08 PM
hi Jaytee ((((hugs))) and thanks so much for your help and encouragement with this painting! it does mean alot to me!

Sarah

jaytee
07-09-2005, 06:09 PM
My pleasure always :)

maltman
07-09-2005, 06:20 PM
Wonderful job Sarah...

I thought I would wait till the very end before comenting.....All I can think now is that painting the human form is difficult enough, but painting your own portrait/ body AND a tulle....well that's almost impossible....thanks for proving me wrong...you're one hell of a talent.....good luck and keep WIP ing

Thanks

Brian.

Gary B.
07-09-2005, 06:51 PM
Wow!!!!!!!!

I, too, have been following this all along and waiting patiently for your finish. This is wonderful.

Mary Smith
07-09-2005, 07:26 PM
Way to go Sarah, fabulous!

Turtle33
07-09-2005, 07:37 PM
hi Mary and thanks for looking :wave:

thanks Gary :) i had lots of trouble with the eyes and areas of the painting weren't quite right but from all the help i had here, i am so happy with the painting!

hi Brian and thanks :wave: what you said means alot to me! i really had alot of help here on the forum though! everyone should get credit for the great advice!

Sarah

FriendCarol
07-09-2005, 07:53 PM
Sarah, you have achieved wonderful 'meaningfulness!' Looking at this final version led me through all sorts of thought-wanderings about the curvedness of human body and the foldedness of the manufactured world, visibility and hiddenness, lightness and weight, gravity and life-spirit. Great work, really.
:)

SusanKay
07-09-2005, 07:54 PM
I am positively overwhelmed. This is one of the nicest painting I have followed on this site. You are truly blessed with emmense talent.
Congrats. on the finish. a true masterpiece.

Susan (jealous)

Turtle33
07-09-2005, 08:05 PM
hi Susan and thanks for what you said :wave:
i'm really glad you changed your name too! you are a wonderful artist too!
we all have so much talent here! everyone paints in their own way but it's all art and we are united in helping to shape the world and make it better through our own expression :clap:

hi Carol (((hugs)))! thank you sincerely! i love to hear people's thoughts about my paintings. it helps make it even more meaningful for me :) your comments even made me think more into what i painted!

Sarah

KathyJB
07-09-2005, 09:34 PM
Oh Wow!!!
It looks like you are wrapped in one complete big origami drape!!!
I am sure you knew that but I didnt see that at first.
well done!!! very very well done,

Kat

Alan Cross
07-09-2005, 10:01 PM
Hi Sarah I am back!! Great finsh..... may fav part is your face but it always was lol ...good job.

laudesan
07-09-2005, 10:59 PM
Wonderful finish Sarah. Good Luck..

Gilberte
07-10-2005, 02:36 AM
All I can say is "congratulations " !

ripvanblair
07-10-2005, 04:13 AM
Absolute stunner Sarah, it was great following the progress, I've really enjoyed this thread and what a result----bravo!!-------------well done----Alan

painterbear
07-10-2005, 04:59 AM
Bravo, Sarah! Well done! Love the look in your eyes. Terrific job on the composition, palette, and execution!

Sylvia

Sandy1
07-10-2005, 07:53 AM
What an amazing painting! Sarah you have outdone yourself again. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yorky
07-10-2005, 08:22 AM
Wonderful in concept and execution, Sarah :clap: :clap: :clap:

BTW I thought you were thinking of putting glints in your eyes?

Doug

Europa
07-10-2005, 09:07 AM
Wonderful Sarah - you are just soooooooo talented.

Pat

bluegenes
07-10-2005, 09:56 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
You've gotten my merit point today!

Patty

Turtle33
07-10-2005, 10:42 AM
hi Patty and thanks for the merit point :wave: :D

hi Pat! thanks!

hi Doug (((hugs)))
i did have glints in the eye but it just didn't look right at all. i re-worked the eyes several times and decided to leave it out.

hi Sandy and thanks! i'm really happy with it!

hi Sylvia (((hugs))) and thanks for following along and all the help!

hi Alan and thanks! it was a long thread and i know this painting took awhile but i wanted it to be right!

thanks Gilberte :)

hi ((hugs))) JJ and thanks!

hi Alan and welcome home! thanks for following along (((hugs)))!

hi Kathy and thanks so much! thats what i was going for!
thanks again everyone!

Sarah

artmom
07-10-2005, 01:16 PM
Little Turtle, you have made an absolute breakthrough here! A nude self-portrait, painted openly (yet modestly) full of wonder and of secrets held within. You are a beautiful woman, inside and out, Sarah.

Very well done. You get my mentor point today, for all the time you take posting your progress and explaining your technique. :D

Lyn

mhimeswc
07-10-2005, 07:56 PM
I've been following along too, and all I can say is FANTASTIC! :clap:

Michelle

Jijo
07-10-2005, 11:10 PM
Congrats Sarah, big effort, big success, enjoy the exhibition!!!
alex

Fabulous
07-11-2005, 02:51 AM
Well,
after so many posts and words, there's not much one can say...
It's wonderful, and full of meaning...
Brava!!!
Fab

mmcaloon
07-11-2005, 11:54 AM
Well it has been a long time watching this and it has been well worth the wait. What a challenge and you have risen to it. a wonderful job.

AndreaPaints
07-11-2005, 12:23 PM
Congratualtions Sarah on such a wonderful painting! I've followed this thread with anticipation and I certainly was not disappointed. Love it!!!

RogerPf
07-11-2005, 06:50 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jul-2005/16927-DSCF0005.JPGHi Sarah
Wonderful - There is so much to say about this. Where to start.

Egyptian - I know the Egyptian eye is always seen from the side when depicting mortals in paint but when it is seen head on as in the 'Eye of Horus' then this is the form that echoes into your painting.

The royal cloak - the tulle manages bunch together at the neck in a way to evoke a royal cloak while at the same time the figure is near naked. This resonates to the story of the 'Emperor's New Clothes'.

The duo hues of the piece add to the feel of being from a dream world. A world where goddesses still reign.

I could go on but best if I stop now. :)

Thanks so very much for showing.

--
Roger

Turtle33
07-11-2005, 09:37 PM
hi Roger and thank you for following along!
you are so awesome! i studied Egyptian art in art history. that was one of my favorite classes! in fact, i did an entire series of Egyptian paintings, including a self portrait, life sized,for a watercolor studio assignment.
i have to say that i recently read a post of your's in regards to showing light through, not all pigment and no whites. that you felt that is the essence of watercolor painting, sort of. i decided to try that with this painting, especially in some of the cranes. i think it worked well and thanks!
thanks for all that you said! it helps give the painting even more meaning!

hi Andrea and thanks so much for following along! :)

hi mm and thanks! this painting did take me awhile. i think this is the longest a painting has taken for me. my framer and former teacher was here to pick up the painting today. he is going to get it framed this week! i'm so excited to see it in a frame! thanks again for following along!

hi Fab and thanks :wave: :D that means alot to me! thanks too for all your help with it too ((hugs))

hi Alex and thanks for following the painting!

hi Michelle and thanks! :D

hi (((hugs))) Lyn and thank you!
i love what you said and that means so much to me!
i really tried to do this painting well and i'll snap a pic of it when it's framed. there are a few minor changes- and even for Doug, i put that glint back in the eyes. i also added some freckles. the painting was originally supposed to be 238 freckles- until i got the plan for the cranes and the way the tulle was draped, it was just supposed to happen. i just wanted to add a few freckles i have so hopefully, when i get the painting back, they will show.

thanks again everyone for following along and for ALL the help i had!

(((hugs)))

Sarah

charlie154
02-13-2006, 04:39 PM
What wonderful work, Sarah! I enjoyed this entire thread and would sooo like to see the painting framed! Did you take a picture?

painterbear
02-13-2006, 04:58 PM
A wonderful trip down memory lane seeing this painting again. Unfortunately, Marilyn, our little Turtle (Sarah) hasn't been posting lately. It would be nice to see what she has been painting recently though, for sure.

Sylvia

charlie154
02-13-2006, 06:45 PM
Thanks, Sylvia, appreciate your response.

Alan Cross
02-13-2006, 06:48 PM
Here is her website if you want to see more of Sarah's work.

http://www.sitekreator.com/Sarah_Gersbach/main_page.html

Mark G
02-14-2006, 10:51 PM
Sarah,

Quite brave to paint yourself and what a wonderful job you did. Outstanding:clap: . Hopefully you will do another one. Thanks for explaining the process to us newbies.

Mark