PDA

View Full Version : Come to the party

Mikey
06-09-2005, 05:22 AM
This is after a Gossaert (Mabuse) painting, The Virgin being painted by St. Luke (Prague). It's a bit messy and I like it that way because it helps me find the form I want. The building is so complicated by the monochrome reproduction so small I've no choice but to use a ruler for some of the pencil lines, but not the paint. I may make the red dress gold and the seated figure purple and green, but blue is possible. I intend to place another figure more top right. Some of the statues can be more modern than Mabuse, 1515.

32 x 40 inch canvas, beginning with acrylic wash, but it will almost certainly be an oil painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2005/28043-party_1.jpg

laketrees
06-09-2005, 05:29 AM
Love this Mikey....the architectural detail is amazing......great perspective and interest in the composition....looking forward to seeing the next stage...the positioning of the figures looks very intriguing......
cheers kim... :wave:

Gilberte
06-09-2005, 10:15 AM
This is going to be a good one Mikey, I'm convinced.
If you'd keep the darks in the back and the lights in the front .......... this will be an eye catcher !

Mikey
06-09-2005, 01:18 PM
Thanks Kim and Gilberte. This will give me a direct comparison with Mikey's Dream.

Mikey

gurleygirl
06-09-2005, 03:00 PM
Fabulous!!! I want to come to your party!!
Tracey

Mikey
06-09-2005, 03:21 PM
Hi Tracey, Bolly, or Martini?

Mikey

A Few Pigments
06-09-2005, 04:55 PM
Hi Mikey, itís a brilliant start. The marble is the business. I think if Michelangelo Buonarroti was alive today heíd be jealous of your work.

Mikey
06-09-2005, 05:12 PM
Hi Bruce, jealous of the women maybe.

They all ask, "Do you know this young lady?"

Me: "Yeh, she's my girlfriend." Then I burst out laughing, well OK in my dreams.

These are the thing men's dreams are made upon.

But I misquote.
"We are such stuff as dreams are made on, rounded with a little sleep". Never read it meself.

Mikey

Anita Murphy
06-10-2005, 06:34 AM
Mikey this is fabuloso!
Do you often use acrylic washes for your base?

Mikey
06-10-2005, 07:03 AM
Hi Anita, many thanks. I really don't fancy buying more acrylics right now, and would rather spend on that lush Oil paint Genuine Naples yellow deep, which I'm waiting for now. I've still got some acrylic left, enough for washes and a few things, although I don't usually use both together. This time it just seemed very convenient with the quick drying. I hate the wet paint on the canvas with oils. I'm trying Cobalt siccative for the lower layers of oil paintings, still remembering the fat over lean principle. However it does evaporate quickly in the thingy before I can use it all.

Mikey

Brush-in-my-hand
06-12-2005, 08:01 AM
Ooooo, Mikey! WOW, now I get all flustered trying to render architectural details! THIS is fabulous!

Cannot wait to see more of this!

Now, how about tha figure sitting on the floor?

Explain about that.

Cia :wave:

Toadie
06-12-2005, 08:27 AM
Well placed great architectural detail , thi sis gonign to be another beauty...........)

Mikey
06-12-2005, 09:59 AM
Thanks Cia and Michelle. I'm not sure what colour to make that marble of the main building. I may have to go for white. Pink and red is too much with those tiles and blue might not balance.

Mikey

shadowling
06-12-2005, 05:21 PM
It certainly looks like a promising work. The shading looks great and the architecture too.
I think white would be a good color choice for the marble, perhaps even a nice glossy black. A blue might not even be so unbalanced if it's a deep slate greyish blue. Just a thought.
Keep up the good work.

Mikey
06-12-2005, 05:43 PM
Many thanks for the suggestions Shadow. Glossy black wold give the painting a definite modern touch, although I'm not too sure I could handle that in terms of the overall composition. I'm thinking tonal values before colour. And let me take this opportunity to give the warmest of welcomes to Wet Canvas.

Mikey

Brush-in-my-hand
06-12-2005, 06:34 PM
Mikey, what about some ivory color with some ochre and related colors for the marble?

If you look at my bathroom mural, that's the colors I used to create my marble faux finishes in that room.

Cia

http://www.artmaker.com/before-after.html

laketrees
06-13-2005, 04:56 AM
Hi Mikey .....I tend to agree..... white for the marble..... keeping in mind tonal graduation and lighter coming forward....the black could look very slick though..... :p ..........glad it's your decision and not mine.... :D
cheers kim

Hi Cia....what an awesome transformation you have made to your bathroom .... :wave: ..fabulous mural !!!!!!!!!!!!!
cheers kim

Brush-in-my-hand
06-13-2005, 06:37 AM
Thanks Kim! I guess nobody could ever say my decor was boring, huh?

Been watching the progress on your mural too, I'm so jealous that I'm not up there with you!

Cia

Mikey
06-13-2005, 07:06 AM
Kim and Cia thanks, I'm trying some Ivory on that stone aat the base of the arch and it looks very sunny. I'll have to work the tonal and colour values as I go.

Cia, maybe you should have been an internal decoration designer.

Mikey

Mikey
06-13-2005, 08:54 AM
The decisions I have to make are now becoming more obvious. I've got a lot of work to do on that Chinese girl in purple and as an example will decide whether to make her left shoulder highlighted more or lighten the yellow ochre in line with the rest of the building. The round columns may look good glossy black, but I'll see. Feel free to make comments as I proceed Shadow.

Cia, I'll explain about the painting and what the Chinese girl means later. You might find some extra figure giving more significance to the painting.

Mikey

Mikey
06-13-2005, 09:00 AM
The image isn't showing and the Uploader will not accept me. I'm not convinced it's my cookie settings.

Mikey

PS: I've reset my firewall, and now things seem to be working.

laketrees
06-15-2005, 06:18 AM
Great impact with the RED and white tiles Mikey...excellent choice ...counterbalances the figures perfectly...
cheers kim

Mikey
06-15-2005, 12:40 PM
Thanks Kim, although I think I'll have another bout of trying to increase my skills before going to much farther with this. The figures are about twelve inches high.

Mikey

Mikey
08-28-2005, 09:44 AM
I've now got to restate my darks andf other values, the unify the painting colourwise.

Mikey

Gilberte
08-28-2005, 02:04 PM
Coming along nicely ...

Mikey
08-28-2005, 03:22 PM
Thanks Gilberte. I'm pleased with it so far, although there's lots of things to make good.

Mikey

A Few Pigments
08-28-2005, 06:05 PM
Hi Mikey,

I really like the sense of depth youíve created here. The light values in the building create an atmospheric effect reminiscent of the atmospheric effect Monet created in his paintings of London. If you lighten everything outside the door, the painting will have a greater feeling of mystery. I donít know if thatís what youíre going for, but it looks great so far.

laketrees
08-29-2005, 05:44 AM
Hi Mikey....great depth here......there is so much going on in this ...almost narrative like in its detail....looking forward to seeing what you do next...
kim.... :wave:

Mikey
08-29-2005, 03:00 PM
Hi Bruce and Kim. I've got to put in some more darks, then put in some figures in the top hlaf to balance the whole. At the moment I'm not sure what those figures will be.

Mikey

Jedediah
08-29-2005, 11:22 PM
I like this. I seen the original in a book in the libary. You made it way softer. I think you should be in the painting somewhere, just like St. Luke was. Chicago J. Smith

Mikey
08-30-2005, 04:40 AM
Hi Chicago,

I did a self portrait in the Mikey's Dream series of paintings. You can see it on my blog.
http://www.mikeysdream.blogspot.com/

I could have an Alfred Hitchcock tiny me in this one, but am not really taken with the idea of painting myself. I'm struggling a bit with what to put as figures in the top half. I do have ideas.

Mikey

laketrees
08-30-2005, 05:06 AM
Hi Mikey...I can see your self portrait in one of the higher arches to the right....symbolising the only man in the room.........if you know what I mean.....just a suggestion......
kim... :wave:

Mikey
08-30-2005, 11:03 AM
Hey Kim, just you wait and see. :D

Mikey

laketrees
09-01-2005, 05:11 AM
HHHHHMMMMM ...Mikey the suspense is maddening.......... :evil:
kim..... :wave:

Mikey
09-01-2005, 05:29 AM
Kim, musn't let life get too serious, so here's kawakii doll. I don't have a short stumpy body, but never mind that. I could put the motley historical muscians on the other side.

Mikey

Mikey
09-01-2005, 06:17 AM
Three muscians could look overcrowded, so maybe this one full length. I may paint an actual portrait of him as well.

Mikey

laketrees
09-01-2005, 06:29 AM
Wow Mikey....this is going to be some party........what attire are you wearing in the painting....and that musician looks positively medieaval...(great subject for a portrait...BTW)....will you be playing an instrument too.......then the doll could be dancing to the music.....I am getting carried away with the narrative of this.......this could be quite an epic......
kim...... :wave:

Mikey
09-01-2005, 06:37 AM
Kim, I had one of those days yesterday where I just followed my instinct. The muscian photos were just one reward for doing that.

Mikey

Gilberte
09-01-2005, 08:47 AM
HHHHHMMMMM ...Mikey the suspense is maddening.......... :evil:

:cat: :evil: :cat: :evil: :cat: :evil:

Mikey
09-01-2005, 12:42 PM
Hi Gilberte. The muscian middle right will be red and yellow. I may put another one in.

Mikey

LisaArt
09-02-2005, 07:44 AM
Hi Mikey! Its looking super! Have a great day

Mikey
09-02-2005, 08:05 AM
Thanks Lisa. This is happning slowly. Yes, I'm having a good day - and you too I trust.

Mikey

laketrees
09-03-2005, 03:10 AM
Hi Mikey...the placement of figures is looking great......I think another musician wouldn't go astray.......the more the merrier I feel........that green at the top is a wonderful foil for the checkerboard red....this is turning out to be such an exciting party.......

Mikey
09-03-2005, 07:06 PM
Thanks Kim. I'm lettng ths one ome together as I paint.

Mikey