PDA

View Full Version : Hang your painting in the June 2005 Watercolour Gallery

Yorky
05-23-2005, 11:17 AM
I have been thinking for some time of an easy way to look at everyone's paintings without having to open every thread. I thought we could use the project system to display the paintings in thumbnail form yet be accessible by clicking. So I have created a "June 2005 Watercolour Gallery" and ask everyone to sign up and submit their June paintings with a bare description and a link to the appropriate thread in the Gallery - but not place comments in the Project thread.

In this way we could eventually have a complete gallery available of everyone's work each month listed by username. They would be initially be displayed as thumbnails with the larger image available at the click of a button. (http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=browse_final&proj_id=869)

It will have the advantage of being able to quickly see paintings you had missed - say you were on holiday, or to locate a painting you wanted to refer back to (perhaps you had forgotten the artist) without having to trawl through all the threads in the Watercolor Gallery. If this works I will create a new Gallery each month and this will build an impresive gallery of paintings which can be accessed at any time via the project system.

Doug

A new project has been announced in the WetCanvas! project system!

Title: June 2005 Watercolour Gallery
Project Leader: Yorky
Relative Difficulty: Irrelevant
Type Restrictions: Painting
Medium: Watercolor paints
Subject: Not Applicable
Days open for signups: 30
Maximum participants allowed: Unlimited

Description:

This is an experimental project to create a gallery of the paintings posted in June.

In addition to posting in the Watercolour Gallery, members are invited to upload paintings they have finished in June to this project for easy access via the Project System.

The usual rules on image size and medium would hold. Only watercolour paintings (including watercolour pencils and gouache) completed in June would be accepted and the description would be limited to:

1. The title (same as in the forum), a brief description of the painting - with size, paper and paint details and a link to the original thread in the Watercolor Gallery so those interested in commenting could find the appropriate thread.

2. There will be no Project Response thread, all response should be in the original thread by clicking on the link.

Please do not upload progress paintings or attempt to "Discuss the paintings in the project discussion in the forums", instead use the link provided in the painting description to respond in the original thread.

You can of course "Browse the full list of participants" and "Browse the Gallery Exhibit (Finished Workss)" and if you click on the link " To view all of the final entries on one page click here" you will see pages of thumbnails of all paintings submitted and be able to click on them, see full size paintings, and click on the link in the description to go to the original thread in the Watercolor Gallery.

Additional Information:

For more information on the project: Click here! (http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_details&proj_id=869)

Remember, you should post your questions, suggestions, and comments on submitted work in the original threads by following the link provided with each painting.

CharM
05-23-2005, 11:20 AM
All signed up... now I just have to paint something... :D

seedy
05-23-2005, 11:49 AM
Doug....
What a wonderful idea.....something I had first though about when you were doing some technical "click on for larger" stuff perhaps a year ago....
In any case...I think that this is a large undertaking on your part and good luck with it...
Now where is that merit button when one needs it?

Yorky
05-23-2005, 12:19 PM
Thanks Char, Brian.

Of course it will not work until paintings start to be submitted in June.

Doug

bluegenes
05-23-2005, 12:27 PM
Me too!

Patty

artman42
05-23-2005, 12:39 PM
Just signed up, Doug.... :)

Yvonnew
05-23-2005, 12:42 PM
And me too :) I only hope I have some inspiration next month :cat:
*Yvonne*

Strawberry Wine
05-23-2005, 12:59 PM
Great idea Doug :clap: :clap:

Heading over to sign up now.

Cheers,

Gail

DominicM
05-23-2005, 01:43 PM
Doug,

Count me in, will give most things a try :wink2: at least once...

olika
05-23-2005, 01:55 PM
I've signed up, as well. I 'bin thinking that this could prove to be very helpful. I pop in when I can but because the forum moves painting through so fast, I don't get a chance to look at all of them in the short time I might have to be in WC!. This way I will see all paintings that have been submitted and not miss any. Thanks, Doug. :D :D

capricorne
05-23-2005, 02:30 PM
I signed up,
Jan

stgault
05-23-2005, 02:42 PM
U da man Yorky! Thanks for doing this.

ripvanblair
05-23-2005, 02:56 PM
Great idea Doug well done-----Alan

Olga
05-23-2005, 03:17 PM
You can count on 4 from me--or however many (round bin) Mondays there are in June :D

Thanks for doing this, Doug!!!

Olga

Yorky
05-23-2005, 04:53 PM
Thanks folks, no need for anyone to comment here, just sign up for the project and you will be on the list of contributors, then re-post your finished paintings there after you have created your normal thread and they will feature in the June Gallery.

I will post a painting a little early with a sample description and link.

Doug

laudesan
05-23-2005, 09:05 PM
I just want to say thanks Doug. NOW I should get the urge to paint aye what....??

JJ

Yorky
05-28-2005, 04:15 PM
I have requested this thread be made a temporary "sticky" so members can find the project details.

I will be posting an example painting on 31st May.

Doug

Jijo
05-28-2005, 11:23 PM
Great idea Doug, and nice way to visit the project forum often.
Signed
alex

Hey I LOVE that quick response box!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

amaze_1101
05-29-2005, 05:30 PM
DOUG for PRESIDENT!

I'm in too!

tigre255
05-29-2005, 06:30 PM
Count me in..........

mrs willow
05-30-2005, 07:31 AM
Hi Yorky!Sign me up too....I need this kick-a- long to get me going again!Thanks Sandy

Frank Fan
05-30-2005, 10:19 PM
greate ideal

RogerPf
05-31-2005, 06:46 AM
Hi Yorky!Sign me up too....I need this kick-a- long to get me going again!Hi Sandy
As I understand it, Doug's idea is that you sign yourself up.

Sign Up here! (http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_details&proj_id=869)

But of course there is no need to do it until you have a painting you want to add.

--
Roger

Yorky
05-31-2005, 09:35 AM
Thanks Roger, I have started a painting which I hope to post later today.

Doug

Yorky
05-31-2005, 02:17 PM
Unfortunately this is not working for me yet :(

I uploaded my finished painting into the project but the system didn't create a thumbnail, which rather defeats the object, although clicking the red X opens up a large image. Also the attempt at a link to the original thread isn't working. Taking advice on the latter.

Bear with me until I sort it out.

Doug

Grunge
05-31-2005, 04:26 PM
Great job. I can almost feel the breeze in this one. I love the colours!

RogerPf
05-31-2005, 07:27 PM
Great job. I can almost feel the breeze in this one. I love the colours!Hi T
I think Doug really wanted people to comment only in the thread for each painting. The thread for his example painting is

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273609

--
Roger

Gudrun
06-01-2005, 12:05 AM
Oh Yorky, this painting ia so good for my tired eyes in the german morning..I like that a lot....I'm watching this thread because I think somewhen I have to go more seriously to watercolour, this technique is so full of possibilities...but for now encaustic keeps me occupied....
BTW..do you plan a new Kington? This time I have to come..Have been in Wales couple of weeks ago, first time UK, a painting class..I loved it to bits....
I'm looking forward for the next paintings here...
Gudrun

Yorky
06-01-2005, 08:29 AM
Thankyou Gudrun - check out the UK Autumn Get Together (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228195) thread in the General Forum.

By the way, folks, due to the thumbnails not appearing, we would be better not posting to the project until it is sorted out.

Doug

vasilkadifeli
06-01-2005, 09:40 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=48099

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2005/32140-Jim.jpg

Jim I like your painting... lovely sky for Char's "skies classroom"... IMHO recently there is a change in your style, or better to say you have started painting some different subjects then your usual ones... this one is very beautiful... :clap: :clap: :clap:

vasilkadifeli
06-01-2005, 09:46 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=48062

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2005/32140-Doug.jpg

Doug, I saw this one in the gallery and wanted to comment here... do we have to comment on the gallery also ? or are we alowed to comment only there and keep this thread clean ? :confused:

Anyway, this is a very beautiful painting... all those colors of the Rhododendron flowers are wonderful... I like the trees and those branches of the evergreen at the left is very nice... very beautiful :clap: :clap: :clap:

edited :

OK I found it, I have to comment on the original thread :

2. There will be no Project Response thread, all response should be in the original thread by clicking on the link.

RogerPf
06-01-2005, 10:00 AM
Doug, ... or are we alowed to comment only there and keep this thread clean ? :confused:
YES - that is Doug's plan. Comment there only. Do NOT comment here and so keep this thread clean.
--
Roger

stephie20
06-01-2005, 01:22 PM
I might be being a bit thick here so bare with me.......I'm not a puta. techi..........

Can we not just put a pic of our painting into the appropriate month's thread. and then put a link ourselves underneath it, to the original thread. Then we wouldn't need it set up in the project system.......just a sticky each month to put pics in...........just a thought

RogerPf
06-01-2005, 01:52 PM
I might be being a bit thick here so bare with me.......I'm not a puta. techi..........

Can we not just put a pic of our painting into the appropriate month's thread. and then put a link ourselves underneath it, to the original thread. Then we wouldn't need it set up in the project system.......just a sticky each month to put pics in...........just a thought
Hi Stephie. Your's is a good idea, I think Doug is trying to achive a bit more i.e. having somewhere where we can all (including the people on dial-up can go) and see

A set of tumbnails (fast loading)
AND the pic for (any) chosen thumbnail only (again fast loading)
AND a link to the thread so you can go and comment.

Strangly it can actually be done 'by hand

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2005/16465-tn_doug.jpg Link to pic only (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3569394&postcount=1) - Link to full thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273609)

But as Doug has said to me it is a lot to expect the general user to create their own links etc - it simple but not trivial.

--
Roger

Yorky
06-01-2005, 01:55 PM
I wish it was that easy, Stephie, but the idea was to have a page of clickable thumbnails which the project system normally creates.

that said if everyone had their preferences set to thumbnails, I suppose people could post attachments to a gallery thread and a link to the original thread. It would become a very long thread though and take a long time to load.

As it stands, if the project thumbnails are fixed it should work OK.

Doug

RogerPf
06-01-2005, 02:03 PM
Ithat said if everyone had their preferences set to thumbnails, I suppose people could post attachments to a gallery thread and a link to the original thread. It would become a very long thread though and take a long time to load.

That sounds good to me - I don't think it would take along time to load. Maybe we should try it, here in this theaed to see?

--
Roger

Yorky
06-01-2005, 02:16 PM
It's only the 1st of June, Roger. Let's see if things get fixed and if not we'll try other formats.

Doug

artman42
06-01-2005, 02:34 PM
My Thumnail is working Doug, , i just checked...

Yorky
06-01-2005, 06:54 PM
Thanks Jim for letting me know - the thumbnail gallery seems to be working now. Just had to omit the link facility.

To browse the thumbnail gallery click here. (http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=browse_final_all&proj_id=869)

If you wish to participate, after creating a normal thread in the Watercolour Gallery simply upload your finished painting to the June 2005 Watercolour Gallery Project, using the same name, and give the date the main thread was created so people can find it easily.

Doug

Sharon Douglas
06-01-2005, 07:26 PM
Well Doug,
I think I did it?????
I got a bit lost along the way, sorry if I went wrong.

Yorky
06-01-2005, 07:40 PM
That's fine Sharon - I have commented in the original thread.

THANKS!

Doug

Fireman's kid
06-01-2005, 09:04 PM
Doug, I think this is a great idea! I'm on cable modem and I still have trouble keeping up with all the threads, but I hate missing any paintings that were posted. I want to see them all. This seems like a wonderful solution! And if I finish a painting in June I'll be sure to post it in the project. :)

artman42
06-01-2005, 09:52 PM
vasilkadifeli Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community...&entry_id=48099

Jim I like your painting... lovely sky for Char's "skies classroom"... IMHO recently there is a change in your style, or better to say you have started painting some different subjects then your usual ones... this one is very beautiful... Thankyou Vasil for your Kind Words :) ........

Yorky
06-03-2005, 05:17 AM
We are getting a good few entries hanging in the gallery now - thankyou for your support - but it will make it easier for browsers to find the comment thread in the main forum if you include the url of your thread in the Gallery forum in your description.

Remember to post in the Gallery forum before you post in the "thumbnail gallery" :)

BTW I think we'll call the next project the July Watercolour Thumbnail Gallery to avoid confusion.

Doug

Emilia
06-04-2005, 10:49 AM
The Four Elements

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2005/9037-Four_Elements.JPG

20x20 in. can be hung either way.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2005/9037-100_0996.JPG

Yorky
06-04-2005, 11:26 AM
I think you have missed the point of the experiment, Emilia.

I note this hasn't been posted in the thumbnail gallery yet. You should start a thread in the Watercolor Gallery forum (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=107) first and then post it in the June 2005 Watercolour Gallery (http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_details&proj_id=869) with the url of the forum thread so people can find the original thread for comments.

The idea was to keep this thread short and make all comments be in the forum.

That said, it is an unusual painting and like the idea of being able to turn it around.

Doug

lpb
06-04-2005, 09:41 PM
I am new to this project stuff and I can't quite figure out how to upload an image to the gallery. I can upload an image in a regular thread, but how do I get it into the gallery? Steps would be appreciated.

I tried viewing the gallery thumbnails, and after waiting 15 min on cable modem for all the images to load, I cancelled out. Is this normal, or was it a fluke? Thansk.

Yorky
06-05-2005, 03:58 AM
Thanks for the feedback, Lorraine.

The first time you visit the gallery, your browser has to load all the thumbnails, after that they are saved on your PC so it gets much quicker. I suggest you open another window and click on my signature link, then do something else in the other window whilst they load.

To upload pictures to the gallery, click on "For more information on the project click here" at the bottom of the first post in this thread, and after signing up for the project click on "Upload your Final Images".

This will bring up a special form where you can browse to your picture file on your PC, then put in the title (same as in the Watercolor Gallery thread) and brief details of the picture.

If possible also add the url of the thread in the Watercolor Gallery so people can go there to comment if they have not already done so. Having completed the form you click on upload at the bottom and your picture then uploads and you get a thumbnail and a full size picture to show you what it looks like.

Doug

lpb
06-05-2005, 06:31 PM
Doug, Thanks for the info. I was able to get my painting uploaded & linked (I think) but I still cannot download/view the thumbnail gallery. I can see the first 3 right away, then I begin waiting for the rest of the download and eventually it all just freezes up on me. I've waited up to a couple of hours with no additional progress. I have cable modem and NO pop-up blockers, and don't have this prob elsewhere on WC. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Yorky
06-05-2005, 06:39 PM
Slow loading was a possibility when we decided to try the experiment, especially as the list o paintings builds up.

I haven't had any adverse reports from other people though.

Your painting is in the thumbnail gallery OK though, and I followed your url to the forum page.

So I am just as puzzled as you are about your slow loading poblem :confused:

Doug

Becky-Bob
06-06-2005, 08:57 PM
Doug, I don't know if I did mine right. I didn't create a link to the thread that it belonged with. I don't know if I know how to do that.

Also, on the "Little Beauties" I should have said that this was a rework on a painting from 07/2002. I didn't specify that.

I'm sorry for being a problem child. :o

vasilkadifeli
06-07-2005, 02:19 AM
Becky you first go and create a new thread in the WC Gallery the old usual way...

Then copy the URL or address link of that thread and come to the June 2005 Gallery project to upload your painting into the monthly collection...

Here I prefer a slightly larger image because we are allowed to upload larger images to the projects and others can see much more details of your work, but this is up to your taste...

While uploading you enter also the text for your work and into that text paste the URL of your orginal thread so that others can copy and paste it into the adrress bar of their browsers and access your original thread to comment...

Unfortunately for the moment being the project system does not create actual links when an URL is entered into the text... so we have to copy and paste...

Yorky
06-07-2005, 03:32 AM
Thanks Vasil for explaining that - yes, there are improvements that could be made to the projects system, but we'll have to wait until everything else is working properly.

Becky - don't worry, if you use the same title for your picture, people can find your thread in the Gallery - I did.

Wouldn't it be great if when uploading to the normal Galler ythread there was a box to say "do you want this image to appear in the thumbnail gallery?" and it created the thumbnails automatically?

Doug

Becky-Bob
06-07-2005, 01:16 PM
YES!!! Anything that doesn't make my brain have to think too much! :o :o I'm afraid even with instructions I have difficulty following. I don't know if it is the medications that I am on, or if I'm just naturally this way. LOL And, I won't take a poll on that! :wink2: But, YES....that would be WONDERFUL!

Ellen in Ont
06-07-2005, 03:14 PM
Thanks for all your hard work Doug. The gallery idea is great! I would have missed half of these the other way. Thanks so much.

Yorky
06-07-2005, 03:22 PM
Thanks Ellen - that's one of the reasons to create thumbnail gallery.

Whilst the project system isn't ideal for the purpose, it seems to be working so far. Of course I'm watching its progress with a fatherly interest :D

I wonder as it fills up if it will become to slow to load.

Incidentally any ideas for improvements will be welcomed.

Doug

painterbear
06-10-2005, 06:33 AM
Thanks Ellen - that's one of the reasons to create thumbnail gallery.

Whilst the project system isn't ideal for the purpose, it seems to be working so far. Of course I'm watching its progress with a fatherly interest :D

I wonder as it fills up if it will become to slow to load.

Incidentally any ideas for improvements will be welcomed.

Doug

Doug, Just did a little experiment and timed how long it took for the Gallery to load—one minute! 60 seconds! AND I'm on dial-up. :cool:

So far it is doing fantastic. It takes longer to get to the link to open the Gallery (going through several screens) than it did to open for me.

Sylvia

Yorky
06-12-2005, 04:57 AM
It takes longer to get to the link to open the Gallery (going through several screens) than it did to open for me.

Sylvia, if you click on the link in my signature and save the url in your bookmarks/favourites, this should take you straight to the thumbnails.

Doug

painterbear
06-12-2005, 06:22 AM
Thanks Doug, that's a great idea. It is in My Favorites on the computer now. Sure makes life a lot easier too. :clap:

Sylvia