PDA

View Full Version : Eve

mame
12-29-2001, 09:35 AM
Just having fun waiting for paint to dry.

This has gotta be 10 years old. Pre- academia.Think it was about 6ft L X 4ft W
Oil on a bed sheet stiffened with Elmer's glue. Lots of scratching into and wiping out.
No cracks re anatomical proportions.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Dec-2001/Eve.JPG

dnip24
12-31-2001, 03:18 PM
It's interesting, good job!

Robert
12-31-2001, 04:54 PM
So this is where you hang out!

Did you see "Eraserhead?"

:eek:

Bob

mame
12-31-2001, 06:56 PM
Good one!

It's a little less manic down here in the basement. Nice variety for leisurely browsing, I think.

I love eraserhead. Not many know it. Will you marry me?

colorme
01-01-2002, 12:44 AM
how nice, happy new years mame..i love it here too :)

mjkohler
01-01-2002, 06:40 AM
:) hi mame, whats elmers glue. and what sort of bed sheet. does it provide a durable surface. sounds like you had fun with it. mjk

mame
01-01-2002, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by mjkohler
:) hi mame, whats elmers glue. and what sort of bed sheet. does it provide a durable surface. sounds like you had fun with it. mjk

Hi mj. Didn't expect to get any responses. Just thought it would be interesting to see for myself one of the first, pretty bad ones in cyberspace.

Elmer's glue is a brand name for all purpose glue. The kind crafters use and kids in grade school.

The sheet is white all cotton flat sheet. The kind nobody uses any more because it doesn't have polyester in it so it wrinkles.

No, it is not a durable surface but the "stiffness" when the glue dried was intriguing to me. I was just using what I had at the time. Sometimes "I don't have the right materials/paint/studio, etc" is just fear. If ya gotta paint, you'll find a way even if it's on a bed sheet!

Robert
01-01-2002, 10:16 AM
Mame! LOL!

AmyH
01-02-2002, 01:55 AM
hey,

bed sheet and elmers ...nice.

the figure is not jiving for me in this one. it has nothing to do with anatomy, perhaps it is the light tone. the chair looks a bit like a vice grip. was that intended?

I love the shadows from the legs of the chair etc. and the tonal quality of the whole pic. overall. the floor and feet are getting most of my attention.

amy

AmyH
01-02-2002, 01:56 AM
ps eraserheads hair was more insane than that. cute baby though. heh

mame
01-02-2002, 08:24 AM
I think you're right on, Amy.

Yes, a vice...Eve, ya know.

It was fun to look through all that old stuff. A little disappointing though too to realize I still have so far to go....

Most of the old stuff has been cut up and used as collage elements or painted over or chucked. This one I've hung onto.
Can't tell ya why.

Txs all for letting me have a little fun.

salmon
01-02-2002, 11:07 AM
Don't talk to me about Eraserhead.

ZOTMA
01-03-2002, 03:03 PM
she's slid over to the side
and to the sides she spreads from the thigh
resistantly overcontained by the seat
her body screaming nude with reaching hair
though she's faceless, why?
the important thing in this picture
is her shadow, not ever hers
the shadow of her chair cast
and her detailed clenched toes
conspicuously innominate

thanks for sharing this bit, I think it's better than you think
(oh yeah and eraserhead is killer)

mame
01-03-2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by ZOTMA
she's slid over to the side
and to the sides she spreads from the thigh
resistantly overcontained by the seat
her body screaming nude with reaching hair
though she's faceless, why?
the important thing in this picture
is her shadow, not ever hers
the shadow of her chair cast
and her detailed clenched toes
conspicuously innominate

thanks for sharing this bit, I think it's better than you think
(oh yeah and eraserhead is killer)

txs Zot. May I have your permission to copy this and save it? I will of course record you as the author.

ZOTMA
01-03-2002, 06:16 PM
Yup, granted

arourapope
12-29-2002, 08:39 PM
from this date in history.....:D

Gar
12-30-2002, 02:16 AM
Quality emotional impact Mame. I dig your older work. It is free.

mame
12-31-2002, 06:47 AM
Yeah, Gar......

When I first started out, I would hear more seasoned artists say how they wish they could "get back" to the free and easy innocence/igorance of their early/beginning work.

Not me, I said! I'll never be an old tight-a** painter!.

Alas, I am there..... The hands remember too well and too stubbornly what they have learned. It is a battle to try to "undo" the years and find again, the innocence and freedom without losing the wisdom gained along the path.

A backwards journey is not such a bad thing, eh?

surreal
12-31-2002, 07:38 AM
Very nice.

Veronica
12-31-2002, 12:06 PM
A glimmer from the past.
Inviting and lyrical in an
innocent way.
My patients (lockdown) paint
on sheets but they have no
glue. Inventive student who
broke the rules and has
"arrived". The journey is in motion
and I want an original mame ptg;
dreaming of them.

lori
12-31-2002, 12:18 PM
a style built upon feet.

this is like an archelogical dig into your creative past. the elements are there, waiting to form the vision.

when i painted with acrylics, i used a couple sheets and elmers (even mixed pigment with elmers...and why not...lol)...it was a great way to paint when all materials were dependent on the influx of tips (i used to comb thrift stores and buy old sheets)...those were the days...i did one sheet painting with oils, when i made the switch...all it took was one, to see it wasn't going to make it...in fact...it didn't.

anyway, thanks for sharing your past with us...its great to see the rudiments of molly at work.

arourapope
12-31-2002, 12:32 PM
lol! one of the first oil paintings I did was on a (large!) piece of that stuff they use to back quilts. I was trying for texture; and it's really neat stuff, all soft and bumpy. well, not knowing any better, I stretched it on stretcher bars. Now it's all saggy..... kind of sad, really. It was a decent painting. Ya live and learn, I guess.

kelly
12-31-2002, 01:35 PM
Did I say I like this ;)

cagathoc
12-31-2002, 05:51 PM
i remember her

interesting re: beginner's mind vs practiced artist

i think the emotion of beginner's mind can be retained and the knowledge only adds to its fullfillment in expression

Fagan
12-31-2002, 07:37 PM
I prefer your newest work to the "old". It is an improvement.