PDA

View Full Version : What I've learned about oil painting this week ...

snakum
12-29-2001, 08:25 AM
In my first week with the oils, the following has become quite clear:

Titanium White will disappear exponentially faster than all the other colors combined.

Despite all caution, Lamp Black will mysteriously wind up all over my stuff.

I actually like the smell of turpentine, and I don't understand what all the fuss was about.

If you bought your 'name brand' paint on sale at Walmart ... you shouldn't get angry when you squeeze out oil for for two minutes before any pigment makes an appearance.

It is possible to draw like Durer yet paint like Larry, Moe, and Curly.

Thanks for all the assistance ladies and gentlemen, I have been living in the oil painting archives as I attempt to understand this new medium. Next to my first efforts ... I'm sure Scott's 'Toothpaste Mountain' comes off like a Monet au plein air landscape, but I'm having fun. When I consider that three months ago I thought 'Degas' was a liquid in DeTank of DeCar ... I guess it's not so bad.

Reverend Thich Minh Thong

"We're off then ... like a herd of turtles."

tolebyjane
12-29-2001, 09:04 AM
Be very careful, even though you like the smell of the stuff. I thought I was immune to everything until one day I woke up dizzy and feeling like I was drunk as a skunk when I hadn't had a drop. All day I reeled. I tried long walks in the fresh cold air...to no avail. Then the woman with whom I lived asked about an odor up in my rooms. Odor? I don't have much of a sense of smell anymore and hadn't noticed. I dashed upstairs, took that open container outside and have never been in contact since. There are lots of safer thinner/cleaners that won't do a soul into an early lunacy.
Jane

Michael2
12-29-2001, 09:57 AM
You should use Ivory Black instead of Lamp Black, because Ivory Black is less potent and thus is easier to work with. (The first time I bought black I bought Mars Black, which I now know was the wrong black to buy.)

You should really use Turpenoid instead of turpentine, it will be better for your health in the long run.

The oil coming out of the paint tubes: has nothing to do with Walmart. Some pigments just don't mix well with the oil and that happens. Even in the most expensive paints. And some brands are oilier than others. (Walmart sells art supplies????)

paintfool
12-29-2001, 10:38 AM
LOL Snakum! Thanks for the laugh! :D
Cheryl

Leopoldo1
12-29-2001, 10:41 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by snakum
In my first week with the oils, the following has become quite clear:

And just think that was only one week of observations, we can't wait for your update.

It is possible to draw like Durer yet paint like Larry, Moe, and Curly.

The possibilities are endless, what a medium you have now discovered!

Wayne Gaudon
12-29-2001, 12:23 PM
you may not even want to use black .. but we won't go there .. it's up to the individual .. mineral spirits are marked with the hazard symbol for a reason... and cheap is cheap .. no other words for it .. you get what you pay for.

I have just finished #3 Oil and oh boy, am I getting into this stuff .. I love it .. works like a charm and after a few quick study failures, the 3 paintings I have completed are, in my opinion, good and getting better.

Tooooooooooooo Cooooooooooooooooool

Later,

snakum
12-29-2001, 01:38 PM
... I'll show you my beginner stuff if you show me yours. Mine, however, are definitely not for the aesthetically squeamish. My first efforts look rather like someone dropped pharmaceutical-grade LSD-25 and tore into the finger paints.:D

Vincent Van Snakum

"We're off then ... like a herd of turtles."

Davena
12-30-2001, 11:31 AM
LOL ROF! Thanks for the best laugh of today!:p

timelady
12-30-2001, 03:46 PM
Haha! Thanks for that! And I think the comparisons are always relevent. I still paint like Moe sometimes (and some people would think all the time). But remember, you gotta paint the stooges to recognise the Degas!

Funny about the black, that happens to me with permanent rose! :)

Tina.

reynolds
12-30-2001, 04:12 PM
ditto the laugh, it is nice to know that there are options to the turp and yet i must admit i like the way it smells too. fume on....
maybe when i pick up the oils it will be charlie chaplin who makes an appearance or....mae west.

ldallen
12-30-2001, 06:51 PM
ROFL!! :D