PDA

View Full Version : small linoleum block - study for larger work

bridog
06-07-2005, 02:21 PM
Hi printers
sorry haven't been too visible in printmaker's forum for a bit
had to attend to home related projects
I am still awaiting a highly anticipated back-ordered Blik press (more delays from the manufacturer, won't see until mid June now if luck has it) :(
In the meantime I found a small linoleum block in my box of incompleted works from a while back, also inspired to get back into "wilderness" theme images (a recent foray into the wilds rekindled the romance)
decided to rework it by removing a small tree that wasn't doing much & adding in a canoer & small islands in the distance (glueing & clamping a small piece of linoleum into the cut out section)
I think this is going somewhere now
the block is only 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 inches therefore figure is tiny..can't really get much detail that I would like to have at that small size
therefore thought I might use this as a study for a larger version of the same image
I also would like to add some hand-colouring into the background...maybe washes of watercolour to add a mood

I paid a visit recently to a small public gallery in Winnipeg Manitoba that featured quite a collection of woodcuts and wood engravings by the deceased Canadian artist Walter J. Phillips
he is well known in the Canadian art movement
providing a link to the National Gallery of Canada's page on him feat. 2 woodcuts in the galleries collection
his prints & watercolours were nothing short of amazing
click on the images to enlarge them

http://cybermuse.gallery.ca/cybermuse/search/artwork_e.jsp?mkey=11602
http://cybermuse.gallery.ca/cybermuse/search/artwork_e.jsp?mkey=11586

Brian

Printmakerguy
06-07-2005, 02:54 PM
Looks good- You have a LOT of detail in such a small print. I like the way this is heading- Has a real 'northwoods' feel to it. The study looks like it would make an excellent greeting card, too!

I do a LOT of little 'studies' like this one before I commit to a big piece- I don't want to put all that time and trouble into something that doesn't work out!

It's a shame about the press- I ended up buying the 906 model II instead of the Econo-Etch because it was going to be 3-4 months before they could deliver an Econo-etch, and I am impatient! I am GLAD that I went with the bigger press, though- I have found that I have outgrown it already. It doesnt take long! The presses (mine at least) are made in Brazil- In fact, blick just sticks a sticker over the other manufacturers plate- And it probably just takes a LOOOONG time to get here!

Sunfilly
06-07-2005, 03:45 PM
hey Brain,
This looks like it is going to be a great piece. especially in color. Thanks for posting those links to Walter J. Phillips. that is such an inspiration for me, I have been working on a desert sunset with wood using the woodgrain to get a nice effect in the sky. This was what I was going for but have not achieved. I love his skys in his woodcuts.

Diane Cutter
06-07-2005, 04:34 PM
This is a great little piece, Brian... It stands nicely by itself!

Your mention of Phillips jogged my memory... Some time back I came across this site, printed the info up for my own use, and then, in going back now, find it has expanded... http://www.sharecom.ca/phillips/default2.html Lots of wonderful stuff on Walter J. Phillips...

Enjoy...
Diane

bridog
06-07-2005, 04:50 PM
Thanks all
I hadn't done any printing for a while now (2 months) and this little study has rekindled the creative fires. Now that I have a composition established I can take it to the next level.
Have been printing using the back of a wooden spoon, when my new press arrives I think this image will be the first one run through.
Diane, thanks for the link to the Walter J. Phillips website. WOW! Lots of info. and pix.
The gallery I visited that is located on the 2nd floor of the Pavillion building in Winnipeg's Assinaboine Park is featured in "where to find his artwork" section.

cheers
Brian

Diane Cutter
06-07-2005, 04:53 PM
Lucky you, to be so close and check out his work... I love getting my nose about 3 inches away to really 'look' at a print.... drives the guards crazy!!!

Diane

bridog
06-07-2005, 07:44 PM
Diane
I know what you mean about getting up close to examine artwork
I did the same thing when I was in Europe looking closely at all the masterworks in The Louvre, Musee D'Orsay in Paris, Rijksmuseum & Van Gogh Gallery in Amsterdam.
I was able to bring a camera in and take photos in Paris (as long as no flash was used). However the guards watched like hawks. I am sure they also have video surveillance as well :wink2:
you will notice in this picture that I was unable to get close and personal to Leonardo da Vinci's famous portrait
Brian

ps. word to all...if you get to the Netherlands you MUST go to the Kroller-Mueller gallery set in a beautiful forest park near Apeldoorn (about an hour's drive due east of Amsterdam). This gallery has the largest private collection of Vincent Van Gogh's works and the coolest outdoor sculpture garden set in stately old growth elm woods
http://www.kmm.nl/index_flash.html

bridog
06-09-2005, 01:08 PM
here are 2 hand-coloured versions of this print
graphic chemical oil based black ink on Arches printmaking paper
hand-coloured using windsor-newton watercolour wash

Brian

sassybird
06-09-2005, 02:11 PM
Personally I like the deeper blue wash. This is a nice little print, and I can't wait to see what you do to a larger version.

Diane Cutter
06-09-2005, 04:16 PM
It's amazing how color can create a mood.

The gray/green of the two gives a foggy, ominous look.
The deeper blue lends more to clouds, far away shore, daytime.

Diane

Ari Sutton
06-09-2005, 08:53 PM
Hi Brian,

Nice piece. Does anyone see the face that the two rocks and the man in the canoe make in the clearing. I don't know if its intentional, but it might be fun to play with it a little in the way Dali does in some of his pieces. Maybe make it a self portrait in the larger picture?

Good use of foreground, middle ground and background in this one.

Ari