PDA

View Full Version : My first outdoor show

Laura Shelley
06-06-2005, 03:05 PM
I participated in the AV ArtFest show at the Triton Museum in Santa Clara this weekend, as a member of the Arts Guild of Willow Glen. You have to be individually juried into the show, but you can show as a member of a group rather than solo. We had a big group booth--11 artists--which was a nice way to get initiated into the art show milieu. I contributed one of the tents, other people contributed tables and grid walls and so on, and it was a good cooperative effort.

No, we didn't sell much--I am not sure there were many big sales at all, since the much larger Sunnyvale art and wine wing-ding was the same weekend. There were about fifty booths under the redwood trees behind the museum and on the front lawns, and it was almost entirely fine arts as opposed to crafts. We unloaded mostly little ceramic items and greeting cards, and heard rumors that some of the better-known artists present had sold two or three paintings.

I talked to a number of other artists during the show, heard some nice comments, passed out portrait brochures and tried to convince spectators that pastels are not "chalk" and that yes, you can PAINT with them. :D I think I learned something about the way the whole thing operates, and I'm definitely printing some greeting cards before the next show. :)

A blurry shot of me and some of my stuff...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2005/21887-artshow.jpg

Khadres
06-06-2005, 03:11 PM
Looks like a REALLY nice showing, Laura! Now that you have your feet wet, so to speak, you should enter lots of shows and try some juried exhibits for prizes...they always bolster the old ego when ya get 'em! Too bad about the lack of sales, but that's the way some shows turn out...probably MOST shows, truth be told... Looks like you had a fun time anyway, and that's what counts!

angecald
06-06-2005, 03:12 PM
Congratulations on your show, Laura. It does sound like a good way to get some experience. Your display looks very professional.

SweetBabyJ
06-06-2005, 03:38 PM
Congratulations, Laura- you've done it once now and see there's nothing to fear. Now you just keep moving on up.

HarvestMoon
06-06-2005, 03:50 PM
Laura- those are really really nice pictures! I think you would get juried into the show all by yourself! Great job- and it is not 'stuff'

Piper Ballou
06-07-2005, 01:52 AM
Laura-What a nice way to get started at a show, with a group. Not as scary then...glad you had that experience and shared your picture with us.
piper

Laura Shelley
06-07-2005, 02:41 AM
Yes, I did get individually juried in! :) That's still a condition even if you're showing with a group. The juror was George Rivera, who is the director of the Triton Museum, and he gave everyone at the jurying session I attended some wonderful advice and encouragement. But I was in no way prepared to have an individual booth! This was a much lower-pressure setup. The solo artists are more or less stuck in their booths all show long unless they have a relief. I was able to walk around from time to time and look at all the displays, and I got some names of suppliers for show equipment. Comparing prices was pretty instructive, too. :)

I also urged a very accomplished acrylic landscapist to try pastels, since his style was very suited to them, I told a fantastic oil painter with a single pastel on display that she should try Wallis paper, and I talked fiber-arts shop and home pastel making with several people. A real blast. I think I was the only pure pastelist in the whole show, however, especially since I was doing the "No, pastels are PIGMENT, not CHALK" spiel over and over to both spectators and artists! I'd expected at least a few dust-busters to be present, but the show was very heavy on oils, acrylics and watercolors.

Laura

CindyW
06-07-2005, 12:57 PM
Hi Laura, just saw this post....
Congratulations on this show! It sounds like it was a positive experience and you learned much. That's great that you were able to pass along some info about pastels. Sometimes it's easy to forget people who aren't part of the dusty world really don't know much about pastels at all. Your setup looks great and your paintings look really nice, all with the same frames. Makes it cohesive against the wirewall background. It looks like you had a nice weather day, as well, instead of having to contend with an overcast rainy day.
Thanks for sharing your day!
Cindy

pastelist
06-08-2005, 01:33 PM
Congratulations on your show. The exposure is sometimes more important than the selling.