PDA

View Full Version : major-illustrations

FioreQ
06-02-2001, 10:07 PM
well I'm still a student and I might be transfering to Otis College for Art and Design in LA...my major of course is Illustrations...Anyone have any experiences there? please share...

thanx
http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/confused.gif

------------------
"LiFe is ShoRt, ArT is LonG" ;-)

bruin70
06-03-2001, 01:17 AM
where are you schooling now?

why otis as opposed to art center?

also check out long beach state, utah, syracuse, school of visual arts, ny fashion institute, rhode island coll. of design.

there's only one thing you HAVE to know about illustration,,,,,and it is the one thing that is never taught,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,how to meet a deadline. all the fancy assignments you get, with plenty of time to do them, are never the same as an art director telling he wants what HE wants(and not what YOU want to do), and he wants a sketch in three days and a finish in one week.

you'll come out of illustration school with a bloated portfolio of finished work that you could have put together at a cheaper fine art school. all anyone, art director or art rep, wants to see is good art. there are no defined areas of fine art or illustration.....{M}

------------------
"it's alright to be judgmental,,,,,,,,if you have taste"...MILT

bruin70
06-03-2001, 01:19 AM
ps,,,,you'll need to know the computer.

------------------

FioreQ
06-03-2001, 02:59 AM
well thank you for a reply...well I'm in Utah at the moment but school here is just -oh I hate it and I wasn't excepted to their program for some weird reason .

when I said Otis ..it's just as I said..art college in LA...

another thing that I hate in utah is the system...there is just not enough challenge.
One reason for that is that I come from Europe and I went to School for Design (high school) there and things we did there are thing they do here in 2nd, 3th year ..and I'm sorry if I sound too vain but I need challenge . So I want to go to art school as opposed to university.

also - I'm ok w/computer- don't like it too much but I know some basic stuff on it...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

bruin70
06-03-2001, 11:26 PM
i don't know what schooling is like now. lot's of kids come out of the non california schools i mentioned. and unfortunetely, i see more desktop stuff than i ever did before. i have a good friend who has been very successful for 20 yers in illustration in LA, and now he only uses quark express and illustrator. he does mostly movie stuff.

art schools, like anything else , are political. the key will be to find one with a good department head. the downfall of art center has been their illustration head for the past 20 years. syracuse's head used to be an art director, who's wife was a big art rep. i don't know about now. and i guess the atmosphere of an illustration dept. is stricter than fine arts.

in nyc, you have the luxury of pratt, parsons, f.i.t., and visual arts. and art students league, school of art, and academy of design in fine arts. the challenge will be to better your classmates,,,,which is what you will have to do in real life. only in real life , it's not your classmates but those who have been in the biz for 20 years whom you'll be competing against. .....{M}

------------------

Jerd
06-04-2001, 02:04 AM
Im an Illustration major now. At the Academy of Art college in SF. Im not sure of its rep in the "illustration world" But I love it. The school is very technical. And a large part of the students, mainly the "best" ones, are into figure drawing and fine art. I say figure drawing and fine art because If you pick up a illustration annual alot of stuff is very stylized. And At my school many old timers like J.C Leyendecker, Dean Cornwell, John La Gatta, Al Parker, and the like are major influences. People take more Figure painting classes then required at other schools. As for deadlines they are also very strict here. You are given some pretty time consuming projects due in a weeek. Where as other art school give 2 or more. It also depends on how flexable the department is. An example is..

Most art schools with illustration majors have "illustration" classes. Aside from drawing and painting they have ILLUSTRATION 1, 2, 3 and some have up to 4. Depending on the school these classes are designed to combine illustration techniques with concept. But in my opinion they are too brief to teach anything. Thats at most schools. Instead I rather waive the class and take another drawing class in the fine art department. Thats why most of the best seniors can draw and paint with the top Fine Art majors. Im not selling you my school but Im making a point about what style you are after. If you are after big CONCEPTS and imagination then my school is not the best choice. But if you want to draw and paint like Dean Cornwell... then this school is great! I would definitly check to see the portfolios of seniors. Some school web sites are good. My school rarely up dates it. And they dont put the good stuff in my opinion. If you see whats on the site you might be disapointed. my 2 cents.

bruin70
06-05-2001, 02:27 AM
jerd's reply is important. go to the school that gets you where you want to go. illustration or fine art be damned. the edges are blurred anyway. art center illustration was, and probably still is, conceptual. which bottom line only means copying who is hot....{M}

------------------

FioreQ
06-05-2001, 02:46 AM
well wow...thank you so much for replies...well I'll tell you one thing..I was accepted to go to Academy of Art in SF and I was there and everything was arranged to go to Illustrations but I just do not have any financial to move to SF ...so I applied to art school in LA because I have some family there and it would be easier...

I will miss AofA but what can I do...

Everything else I will write when I start school...

thank you again http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

FioreQ
06-05-2001, 02:48 AM
oh yes...and one more thing...I looked at so many art schools in USA ...of course NYC too and I have all of those catalogs but as I said my financial situation doesn't allow me much choice...especialy being new in USA makes it harder...

one thing I hated at University of Utah is there is no much options for Illustrations and I just hated paying for something that doesn't give any challenge ...and I know that art schools are very expensive but I beleive that if there's a will there's a way-even to find money for school

------------------

bruin70
06-05-2001, 11:35 PM
it's cheaper to apprentice,,,,and you learn from someone doing it for a living.

------------------

FioreQ
06-06-2001, 12:01 AM
I'm sorry but what does this mean "it's cheaper to apprentice" ?

ps.english is not my first language btw

------------------

bruin70
06-07-2001, 11:44 PM
it's cheaper to be a helper to someone who is a professional artist. someone who makes a living at it. they understand the demands of the business.

you pay no tuition, but you get to learn by osmosis. ergo,,,cheaper. a LOT of teachers in art schools couldn't handle the rigors of art and fell back to teaching,,,,people one or two years out of school. the LAST person i'd want teaching me is someone who was going to school the previous year.....{M}

------------------

FioreQ
06-08-2001, 03:23 AM
well thank you for taking time to explain that to me...I acctualy did that while in high school in Yugoslavia ,but haven't found anything like it here ...maybe it's still matter of time...

but I like going to school..so we'll see

------------------

bruin70
06-09-2001, 12:06 AM
it sounds like you find strength in group situations and probably draw a lot from exchanging with other students. this is good for you.

if you want to go the apprentice route, the best thing to do is find out where all the artsts are, or what area supports your style the best. then live there for a while....{M}

------------------

FioreQ
06-09-2001, 05:04 PM
well I like exchaning my experiences w/others ..I think it's one of the best ways to learn...

and as for moving somewhere...well I don't know how to make it possible right now..I'm trying to do that LA thing..and when I'm more independent (finances hehehe)...

thank you http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

colorme
06-09-2001, 11:00 PM
oh cool I'm going to be an illustrator when I graduate from high school, I'm going to Ringling school of art and design in sarasota. I can't wait http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

FioreQ
06-11-2001, 12:39 AM
cool colorme...I was looking at that school..but florida is too far away for me

------------------