PDA

View Full Version : Ironed Oil Pastels and Wax

Ead
06-05-2005, 11:15 AM
Hi everyone. Long time no talk. I'm still here lurking the forum from time to time.

Lately someone at Mixed Media forum mentioned about my article (http://www.oilpastelsociety.com/ead.htm) concerned encaustic with oil pastels and wax so I posted some there. I think they will help inspiring other people about OP and the society.

Here are some of my latest works. C&C are very welcome.

The first 3 pieces are 12 x 12 inches and the last one is 12 x 14 inches on watercolor paper

sundiver
06-05-2005, 12:02 PM
An interesting read- thank you!

stonewhiteclown
06-07-2005, 11:53 AM
Hi Ead! Those are interesting. I especially like the colours in second one.
Did you try to paint on top of such piece? I guess it may be interesting to create more or less random pattern, then look at the result, observe the shapes and enhance it involving imagination, create the focus maybe.
In postcards2005 project there is an artist who do encaustics. I find them interesting.
http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=portfolio_entries&proj_id=829&userid=29115
I can't wait to receive mine :D Hope you like them too!
PS Your files are quite heavy to open, 300kb each...

prestonsega
06-07-2005, 02:14 PM
Not familiar with encaustics, but I don't need to know the process to appreciate the final product. These contemporary works are truly worth a second look! Bet they really look great when framed!

E-J
06-11-2005, 01:32 PM
You are GOOD at these, Ead!

I can see stalactites, butterflies' wings, underwater caves ... a feast for the imagination here :)

CarlyHardy
06-12-2005, 06:18 PM
I love the sense of a stormy sky in the first. In the second the texture and color really grab the attention. In the third, the white could be softened some but it could be less stark in real life (that's hard to tell from a monitor) but a glaze over part of it would keep the piece from being so horizontal. The last one makes me think of roots growing into the ground from below the landscape.

One thing I'd suggest is that you turn the work so not all the runs are in the same direction (did that make sense?) You are really on to something with this method! Have you thought of approaching a gallery yet?
carly

Ead
06-12-2005, 10:04 PM
Thanks all for looking, your positive comments and encouragement. They mean a lot to me. You are right, some of those especially with white reflect a lot of light when taking photos. It's not that pop-up in reality.

Yes, Carly, I'm wondering whether my work will be accepted in any galleries. I read your articles as well as others about approaching and working with a gallery. It's very scary for an amateur like me.

architectom
03-30-2008, 05:01 PM
Would you talk a bit about your process?

JPQ
05-18-2009, 09:33 PM
I saddly dont know where i can get them in finland.:(

Pat Isaac
05-19-2009, 04:57 PM
What is it you can't get in finland. This is an old archived thread, but most of those materials should be available. Maybe we can help.

Pat