PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Pricing

pampe
12-28-2001, 12:27 PM
So I have sold 5 paintings in the last week....4 on EBAY and 1 locally.

I 'm thinking my prices must be too low?

How would you know?

I have averaged 30-50 views and 1-3 bidders.

Can you all tell me about your experiences?

Thanks
Pam

timelady
12-28-2001, 04:28 PM
Clicks and bidders don't sound so unusual. What are your prices? Also, it's Christmas so you need to watch the bidding over a longer time and see what happens. Try to raise your price a wee bit and see what happens too. You should never undersell your art, so always ask at least what you'd be happy with and what would reflect the hours you put into it. :)

Tina.

Sumafra
12-29-2001, 01:18 AM
Pam, congratulations. I think you're doing well. The clicks and numbers of bidders sounds pretty average. Although in my experience, I only get the sales when my prices are very low. As soon as I put something on that is higher priced, I get no bids. But I keep trying. It just takes the right buyer at the right time, that's all.

CarlyHardy
12-31-2001, 10:47 AM
Congratulations Pam!
Sounds like you're getting off to a good start!

I see new artists starting off on ebay quite often (I do a lot of searches in the late night hours!) and recently bought two paintings from a new artist who didn't even have photos in the description...I had to go and find them at another website...but I like the art a lot! and knew this would be a good time to buy. Before prices went up!!

You might try raising your starting bids $3 or $5. And don't give up if there are no bids when you first do it. When I first raised my prices a few dollars, I got no bids on the first piece and thought...OH NO..BIG MISTAKE!....but I relisted it without lowering the opening bid, and it sold for a lot more than I expected. Sometimes I open with a lower price (in comparison to my other works) and find that a painting I thought wouldn't do so well, sells for a lot more!

I would suggest being consistent with your opening bids. I list more by size with my opening bids...the larger the painting, the higher the bid.
carly

pampe
12-31-2001, 03:03 PM
Thanks, all

It is sometimes scary and always exciting.....I just know that if I put these in a gallery they would be listed for 5-10 times what they go for on EBAY....but ya gotta start somewhere, eh?

Pam

4kids
12-31-2001, 07:49 PM
good evening. I am new here, tho i have been selling my art on ebay for about a year. I have been VERY, VERY blessed in that all of my pieces have sold (i usually list 1-2 pieces per week).
when i started, a year ago, i began all my pieces at under $10. They were small pieces. Most items sold for under $50.
Now, i start everything (unless it is quite smaller or much less detailed than my other pieces) at 24.99. Most of my work ends up selling for $100-250, with my all time ebay high a couple of weeks ago at $380.
What seemed to happen is this...by beginning with lower priced pieces, i began to get people in to SEE my work. You can't sell if you can't grab people to look (of course, how you word your listing title and in what categories you list makes a diff. I also ALWAYS list in 2 cat. AND always pay the extra 25cents for the little preview pic..it is well worth it).

Then, by listing consistently, i was very blessed to have developed a 'following'...that is, a number of 'regulars' who check my auctions daily/weekly. Going to 24.99, gradually, then didn't phase the people who had bookmarked me. In general, with a 10 day auction i generate 600-1000 hits (while andale claims these are 'unique' hits, i doubt it).

I guess, in my long winded way, what I am trying to say is this: start by setting an opening pirce that invites people in to look (the lowest price you'd be willing to sell your piece for…and realize you might just get this amount and no more for a while), , develop a following, and the prices will set themselves.\
of course, the one thing i always say about ebay is that nothing is 'for sure'! My stuff could go right back down to selling at under $50 any time, so i am enjoying the ride for now!

sportpony
01-01-2002, 05:42 AM
Witsend ... what is your eBay ID? would like to see some of your work ...

CathyD
01-02-2002, 02:54 AM
Witsend, I like your thinking! That is what I have thought, start low, let people see your work, and I have been pretty successful so far selling my work at lower prices. I've only been doing ebay for about 3 1/2 months but am kinda getting a following. During Christmas I sold mainly prints but am anxious to get some originals on auction. I kind of took a break after Christmas, but now am ready to get going. What type of paintings and subjects do you paint? I too would like to check out your auctions.
Cathy

ejmstudios
01-02-2002, 11:52 AM
I've done the same thing in moving my starting bid prices up slowly. I mostly do small 5 x 7 or 8 x 10 works for ebay and began with starting bids of $5, then $10. I think I will try the 24.99 next for the 8 x 10s (so you do get this for the higher $25 charge)

Another thing I have done is set up a mailing list to notify people when new paintings have been put up on ebay. Having a way to let people know when something new is up, will help you gain a customer base of repeat buyers.

I haven't had anything go over $100 yet, but there is always hope :)

Beth

4kids
01-02-2002, 04:44 PM
in regards to the idea of a mailing list, ebay's policy is as follows:

"eBay and our users do not tolerate spam. Therefore, without limiting the foregoing, you are
not licensed to add an eBay user, even a user who has purchased an item from you, to your
mail list (email or physical mail) without their express consent after adequate disclosure. "
(see ebay's rules & regs).

I would make sure that you had the permission of the people you email in order to put them on an email list of available auctions. You just never know how people might otherwise react! There can be the occassional not-so-nice person out there, tho, thankfully, they have been few and far between

ejmstudios
01-02-2002, 07:22 PM
Oh no, i don't mean to just add people to your list. They have to fill out a form requesting to be added on my website. I am certainly a victim of enough spam, I wouldn't do it to someone else! :)

4kids
01-02-2002, 07:32 PM
oh, i'm sorry. I do apologize. I thought that was what you probably meant, but wasn't sure. For people not familiar with ebay, it can be difficult to find what their policies are on various matters till it's too late and someone is screaming at you! It CAN get kind of complicated!
thank you for clarifying your system for me.

ejmstudios
01-02-2002, 07:38 PM
No need to apologize, I should have been clearer in the first post. You are right, ebay can have all kinds of rules and regulations that are difficult to get straight. I hope you haven't been a victim of too many screamers.

4kids
01-02-2002, 07:43 PM
no, i have never had anyone get upset with me. But i have heard some amazing stories! I try to be very, very careful when communicating with anyone on ebay!

pampe
01-04-2002, 12:58 PM
*waiting for the next few paintings to end*

Your suggestions and experiences are very helpful....I thought that starting low was a good way....and have gotten 1 commision (also LOW) from that.

If someone from EBAY communicates with me directly....does that also limit my accress to them for mailing lists?

So much to learn

Pam

4kids
01-04-2002, 02:30 PM
congratulations on your sales, btw! It is exciting to see that someone actually WANTS something we created, isn't it? It never fails to amaze me, at least!
To my understanding, you would still need to ask a person's permission in order to add them to your mailing list, even tho they have contacted you first. Best to be clear and safe on this issue, i would think.
I find that I am constantly contacted by people on ebay re: my works. The tricky bit comes in when they contact you, say, 5 minutes after the auction closes, saying they want to know if you will or can make a duplicate of that piece for them to buy; or when they contact you before the auction ends and they want to know if you can make the same piece but with other wording; etc, etc. It IS quite a learning process..sometimes by trial and error...to learn how to handle these requests!

timelady
01-05-2002, 05:40 AM
According to the ruels, you're not allowed to add someone who contacted you through eBay to any of your own mailing lists.

HOWEVER - if they contact you regarding something OTHER than what you have on eBay I'd consider that private business and add them (ie. like commissions or such). Personally, I've added everyone who won an auction to my personal mailing list even though I know I'm not suppose to. At the end of my monthly updates though I have this little disclaimer:

"I will never give our your email or details to anyone else. I only keep a personal mailing list and it's not stored on a database, but if you would like to be removed just reply to this message and let me know. :) "

I hope that lets them know that it is just a personal list (and meets legal requirements that they be allowed to get off the list).

Tina.