PDA

View Full Version : The Goal Posts for June 2005

Khadres
06-02-2005, 02:55 AM
OK..here we are again...hard to believe it's already summer time! Anybody doing anything interesting? Who's in what shows? Who's trying what? This is the place to fine tune your goals and assess your progress...let's all encourage one another to try just that much harder and achieve just that little bit more! But...don't forget to have fun too! :D

(You can skip the following general rules if you've already waded through them ten times. )

This is a thread dedicated to goal setting. Doesn’t matter what KIND of goal you choose; that’s up to you, but the idea is to ask yourself what your art goals are. Want to change subject matter, technique, try some different colors than you usually use, or just work more consistently and productively than in the past? This is the place for you!

This area is all about supporting each other in reaching our personal art goals and acting a bit like our very own cheerleading team. It can be a bit lonely at that easel day in and day out. Sometimes, just a few words of positive feedback and encouragement when we find ourselves sliding into a slump can make all the difference. Here, we can choose our goals, discuss them, and think them through in an ongoing way.

This is a place you can feel free to try ANYTHING you want to with your artwork and be assured of encouragement, not criticism. No one will laugh at your lopsided barn or clashing colors; nobody cares if you yearn to paint nothing but antique milk cartons; we’ll welcome anything you want to try and treat it with respect whether it’s traditionally "arty" or not. Feel free to break the "rules" sometimes without fear of reprimand! This is a place to take risks and push yourself a bit more than usual. It’s also a place to have FUN.

Each person is free to set their own goals….some will find 100 paintings ….or any set number at all a bit daunting. Maybe a number goal isn't what you're after at all. No worries, just do your best to tell us what you're hoping to achieve and we'll support you in every way we can. I think that's the first order of business for each participant…deciding just what their personal goal is at this point in time. I think we should allow for those goals to mutate and change direction along the way and everyone can change focus freely by simply re-stating his or her goals anew. So those interested in taking part in this might want to think out their goals and reasoning, etc. and then try to post it here in the Goal Posts thread so the rest of us will know your needs and direction and can try to support you with them.

The main rule for this area is that it is a NO CRITIQUE NOW (NCN) ZONE. This may seem silly on the surface, but we’ve had some newbies AND vet WC’ers who have been negatively affected by strenuous critiquing too early in whatever process they were working through. Some have given up posting their work at all unless they were totally sure it would be beyond reproach. I’ve been very lucky in this; feedback on my work has been kind and very, very helpful, but I have seen occasions when such was not the case. For the experienced tough-hided folks among us, that’s no problem. But in here, it’s not allowed. That’s one thing you don’t have to worry about for awhile. If you CHOOSE to invite full critiques (and I’d encourage you to do so when you’re ready and when what you’re doing is at the right stage), we ask that you copy the work in question to the appropriate Studio (Oil or Soft Pastel) and ask for critiques from participants there. I don't for a moment think anyone here in the Pastel forum has been INTENTIONALLY mean in their critiquing, so don't get me wrong here; it's just that there is a time for frank discussion of someone's work, both good and bad, and there's a time to give the artist some space.…

While negative feedback is verboten here, SUPPORTIVE feedback is welcome and encouraged! We all like an occasional pat on the back, after all! Just try to be as specific as possible in your supportive comments…WHAT did you like about the piece in question, what neat effect did it have on you, etc. This helps the artist so much more than just saying, "Love it!" It's also okay to ask questions, such as "What are you aiming for with this? Color harmony or deliberate discord?" or "This is a bit different from your recent paintings…is this a permanent change in direction or just an experiment?" And it's all right for the artist to ask for specific feedback such as, "Is the model's arm too fat in comparison to the rest of her body?" Just remember to answer the question only; she'll find out the feet look like duck's feet when she goes for a full critique! Questions and answers that will help the artist THINK more clearly can be good. I just don't want anything even remotely resembling: "Well, you CAN'T have green people against a red sky…that's WRONG." Nothing you do in here will ever be considered WRONG….it may seem a bit weird, but that's fine, that's what experiments are sometimes. And who knows? You may find a niche for yourself and become famous for green people with duck's feet against red skies!

I think I may try some mini-plein air this month...just a back yard outing at first...but could be fun. How bout you?

blissfullyunaware
06-02-2005, 11:03 AM
This is just what I needed. Started lurking lately.. wanted insperation to get back to painting. All but stopped for about a year now, but determined that painting is WHAT I WANT TO DO!!! Sometimes you have to set priorities (goals) to be happy... I miss painting terribly but I've been "too busy". But that has to stop!!!

GOAL - I WILL take time to do something ART related each day... whether it is reading, sketching or just rearranging my studio to be more "ready" for the spontanious painting.

Thank you for starting this thread... and I will return!!! :evil:

PS>>>> Hello everyone... missed you all!!! :D

Khadres
06-02-2005, 12:53 PM
Welcome! Glad you found us and that you're setting a fresh goal to return to your artful ways! Be sure and share what you're doing! Each person's efforts toward their own goals is such an inspiration to the others!

E-J
06-02-2005, 02:34 PM
Hey Sooz - thanks for starting up a new month of painting goals.

My aims for June are:

- Get 6 to 8 paintings mounted and framed for display in a local café in July.
- Contact local magazine about advertising the exhibition, get menu covers printed featuring my and fellow exhibitor's artwork, and send out invitations to our opening night (yikes!)
- Paint more frequently - eg. if I only have an hour or so to spare on a weekday evening, do a sketch!

That's about it.

khourianya
06-02-2005, 02:50 PM
Well - fresh back from Toronto with a ton of new supplies, I am raring to go! :D

I plan to continue the sketchbook this month (and for a long long time after). Last month - i attempted to sketch daily, but abner liked the suede cover of my sketchbook and would usually eat my daily sketches...so I bought a bunch of good, coilbound, hardcover sketchbooks that I have a designated hiding place out of his reach for...

I am moving at the end of the month so I suspect that packing will take precidence over painting, but i will attempt to get at least one painting done.

I will also need to plan out my new studio this month. so that is exciting....

Good luck this month, everyone!

Khadres
06-02-2005, 03:25 PM
E-J, you bring up an excellent point about getting art things done...especially with pastels, even small snippets of time can be put ot great use! A thumbnail takes no more than of pan of eggs take to boil, after all, and quick study of a scene out the window can be fit in with the morning coffee! We don't have to have giant blocks of time to do something useful and rewarding.

Cori, we want an itemized LIST of your new supplies!!! And PICTURES of the black dress and all. Here on WC!, when someone goes somewhere or experiences something different, they are expected to SHARE with those of us who never get to do either! sniff!

khourianya
06-02-2005, 03:54 PM
I'm working on it :D

My flight was super early, which meant I got out of bned at 1:30am calgary time...I just downloaded my photos and I plan to take some of my supplies and scan my sketches. It'll probably be 3 threads in the scumble so look for it. Oh - and i found a place in Toronto that still has decent stock of full stick grumbacher...I'll post photos after I eat something....

angecald
06-02-2005, 07:39 PM
Hi, Sooz. Back yard plein air is a great way to start. It's a bit more private than some other places, assuming your neighbours aren't too nosy, and there's not so far to go back if you forget to pack something. I *always* forget my little viewfinder, although it's about the most useful thing I own.

Blissfully Unaware, you're not alone in getting sidetracked occasionally. Take it in tiny, easy steps and you'll soon be on your way again.

E-J, you've got a busy month lined up. It's fun when we're busy about art, isn't it?

Cori, I'm dying to see what you got, and your new dress too. It's great that you got enough good out of your sketchbook to want to continue, in spite of Abner eating the other one. New rule for sketchbooks: must not be too delicious. :)

Well, I achieved my May goal of getting the new computer, and I've made some progress getting acquainted with my digital camera. Didn't get my website going, but I'm almost ready to start on that. First I have to frame 5 pieces that are due to be delivered on Saturday for a show in mid-June. So far I haven't received a cancellation notice, so it looks like it's going to happen. I have three good pieces, and I have to choose the last two from 4 or 5 weaker one. Eenie-meenie-miney-moe, or whichever ones will fit the pre-cut mats.

For June, besides getting on with the website, I also want to set up photo albums with all my current work, a large one to leave at shows and a small one to carry around with me in case anybody asks what I do.

khourianya
06-02-2005, 07:53 PM
There are now a zillion photos in the scumble...including a guide to supply shopping in toronto!! Enjoy! :D

Piper Ballou
06-02-2005, 09:16 PM
Hi All,
Think it is about time I set some goals for June since I have waited a long time for it to come.
1st goal- take a nap everyday
Other Goals will include, painting everyday, I want to see what I really have in me. Since I just started with pastels in August I have only be able to paint here and there around work, now that it is summer and my husband has a summer job I want to paint, paint, paint. One of the goals will be to try a landscape.
Think I am going to try to set weekly goals, or maybe even daily goals, so I hope you do not get tired of me here :p
Piper

Khadres
06-02-2005, 10:47 PM
Think I am going to try to set weekly goals, or maybe even daily goals, so I hope you do not get tired of me here :p
Piper

That will never happen! Keep us posted on your progress! And naps are WONDERFUL for feeding the muse! :D

CindyW
06-02-2005, 11:41 PM
Goals, goals, goals, goals.....give a busy person more tasks and they'll get it done. I'll be seeing if that old saying works since this month I'll be chugging along on memories of sleep to get all I want done! Whew! I haven't had such a strict deadline as this in 10 years! I'm taking a break at work right now and dang it, if I didn't have to WORK it'd be smooth sailing to get the bulk of paintings I want to have done for August.
Goals for June:
Finish all work I've posted here, mat and put in frames, already bought.
Underpaint another batch of paintings to be ready for July's attack.
Design wall cards with info for each painting.
Design quick artist statement/brochure/card to have on table.
Buy and setup customer signature book for possible future mailings.
Continue with website design for my artwork along with my husband's work and post finishes to get them up and running. Those of you who have websites must feel QUITE the accomplishment when you get your work DONE and online for the world to see!

Actually, putting this in writing helps take alot of the overwhelming unknown out of this upcoming outdoor show. I hate list making but in the same breath it keeps me sane and calms me down. This is a happy crazy full steam ahead venture! Who knows, maybe after this show, I'll take all the paintings to a gallery in town and see what they say! Ok, maybe I AM a bit crazed with grandiose visions of the intriguing fine art world that will most likely pop me with a reality smack but,..... what the heck. Dreams should be made to come alive ONCE in awhile. It's all rather exciting.

blissfully, I've been right with you for so long. It feels good to actually create and make plans happen! Good luck with your June goals! Hmmmm, is Owings Mills a small town? Just curious, my parents are from Owings, W VA. Beautiful country down there.
Sooz, mini plein air sounds really great! Why NOT in your own backyard? I was given that advice in a thread a week or two ago. Go for it!
E-J, excellent plans! An opening night would be great fun, I can imagine.
Cori, congrats on your move at the end of the month. Did you start packing yet? I had boxes stacked to the ceiling when we moved 5 years ago...had to wade through them. Amazing what we collect in our abodes.
Agnes, welcome to digital camera world! I have taken 10,000 so far in a short year and a half! It's so easy to click 10 times what you would with a film camera. And I've come across some really great shots that I KNOW woudln't have happened with film because I was being too careful to not use up all my film. Love it, hope you do soon!
Piper, you have a GREAT time with your freedom summer. You're going to treat us with all that you paint this summer! Looking forward to seeing it all!

I'll be back here soon.
Cindy

khourianya
06-03-2005, 12:17 AM
Yep - started packing the day we confirmed we were moving...my books have taken 11 boxes alone, so far, and I'm still not done with them. this weekend I plan to make some major impact with my moving boxes as I start to pack my good crystal and china and move my sofa out (my parents have a secondhand store so they are selling it for us). Once I get going, it should go fairly fast.

Oh - I forgot my one really exciting thing I am doing this month to help towards my goal of moving towards professionalism...I am taking a course on what Jurors look for and how to better market yourself as a professional artist. That's next weekend (the 11th) so I am quite looking forward to it. It should be interesting too, because the lady will also be doing critiques and i am going to have some of my work looked at.

blissfullyunaware
06-03-2005, 11:42 AM
Hi Cindy... Owings Mills is actually a suburb of Baltimore, very populated :rolleyes: unfortunately. When we moved here we were moving "out into the country" or so we thought. The housing boom took over and the population has doubled in the past 10 years. I was trying to place Owings WVa, is that near Ohio?

When is your show and where? Inquiring minds want to know ;) . I know you got a lot on your plate, so please don't feel pressure to respond if you don't have time!!! Just curious :D . Take care and good luck on with your goals!

Piper Ballou
06-03-2005, 11:58 AM
Cindy- Think a lot of the goals you have this month, will be also mine maybe next month. So I am keeping your list. I want to start to look for a show or something to display my work. Also, thinking of a website.
Would like to joing Cori with her class...hope you will share some of the things you learn with us.

I am off to Phoenix for the weekend, goals for today.....taking my stretch book and going to at least do some quick drawings.

Have a good weekend everyone.
piper

Deborah Secor
06-03-2005, 01:16 PM
I keep lurking here...you all have wonderfully artful goals. Me, I'm happy to make it through today. If I were to list any for the month it would be to get out on location and paint more.

I like Piper's goal: naps!!! (Oh, and do try that landscape, Piper, after you nap!)

Deborah

Khadres
06-03-2005, 02:13 PM
I am off to Phoenix for the weekend, goals for today.....taking my stretch book and going to at least do some quick drawings.

What a GREAT typo!!! That's just what a sketch book should be!!

Khadres
06-03-2005, 02:15 PM
Deborah, you don't really NEED goals training! Your schedule is what OUR goals should be eventually!

Piper Ballou
06-03-2005, 03:09 PM
Opps....did not catch that typo.....don't tell anyone I am really a teacher....too funny

binkie
06-03-2005, 04:36 PM
First want to say thanks to Piper for suggesting I join in and set some goals. You all have some great goals! There is so much I want to learn about art. Bought several books and I want to spend some time reading them. Have a plein air painting due the end of June, which is the first class of the summer school session. Also started a portrait that has been languishing among my new studio mess; it'd be nice to finish it. I also want to practice perspective. Guess that's enough for one month for someone who spends her summers swimming in the pool. Actually, I think I was a fish in another life.

Good luck everyone!
binkie

Artistammy
06-04-2005, 01:35 PM
I need some quick advice! I've been so busy getting the paintings ready for the show & making new business cards etc., I haven't given a thought to what to say to the people at the show. :eek: There's a gala thing this evening to meet the artists. I haven't ever done this before. I'm going to leave in about an hour & a half (noon) to take some photos on the way & look at the show before the gala. I'm rather excited. I hope I sell something & maybe win another ribbon this year. I won 2nd last year with the "Pear on Blue".
Thanks,
Tammy

Khadres
06-04-2005, 02:14 PM
Good luck, Tammy!

Which paintings did you enter??? Also, get some pics of you with your entries! As to talking to folks, it's no different than talking to most anybody else...just be yourself, don't talk down about yourself or your work, be positive about what you've done in art and where you are going, tell folks who are interested what your ptgs. were based on, etc. Be prepared to explain a lot about why pastels surpass other media in quality pigments, etc.

Artistammy
06-04-2005, 02:48 PM
Thanks, Sooz. I entered the Iris, the church with the sunset & the snow church scene. This image of the iris isn't the actual mat I used. I used light blue & blue to match the iris.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2005/3341-blueiriswhitltluemat.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2005/3341-sunsetTruchaschurchdonesm.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2005/3341-Comeworshipsnowchurchsm.jpg

Khadres
06-04-2005, 07:38 PM
Ohhhhh, I especially loved that middle one! The iris is gorgeous too, of course. Well, ALL of 'em should get some attention!

binkie
06-05-2005, 03:27 PM
Oh Tammy, they are all so lovely!

binkie

angecald
06-05-2005, 04:31 PM
Good luck with the show, Tammy. Your pictures are just beautiful. Practice twisting your toe on the ground and saying, "Aw, shucks!" when they tell you how brilliant you are.

binkie
06-05-2005, 07:17 PM
I've been working on the pastel that's due for class. Cropped it and added more trees but it looks too busy and a couple of the trees don't look good. What do you think? Negative feedback is okay; I want to get this one right.

The first rough (uncropped) pic is under my question about perspective in Pastel Talk.)

thanks,
binkie

Artistammy
06-05-2005, 10:06 PM
Binkie, from the pic I'd say more contrast in the closer trees & the rock would help give it more depth.
Well, I got 2 honorable mentions. I thought I hadn't sold anything but when I was looking at this photo the snowy church has a gold medallion so maybe it sold right before I took the pic & I didn't notice. I was a little disappointed in the "meet the artist". They didn't have nametags or anything to distinquish the artists & everyone I talked to was a participant. I didn't have any opportunity to hand out one business card. The entertainment was out of this world. The art president's son works on Broadway in NY & goes on international tours. He sang songs from musicals & it was fantastic! I took a few more reference photos on the trip too. lol I have plenty of material to choose from.
In about 3 wks we go on vacation so it's time to get my travel/plein air box ready. I've bought quite a few new pastels since I used it last. I may have to try fix up a bigger one. :D
Thanks for the support you guys!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2005/3341-PostArtShowiris1.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2005/3341-PostArtShowsnowchurch1.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2005/3341-PostArtShowTruchaschurch1.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2005/3341-TammyPostArtShow1.jpg
Tammy

binkie
06-05-2005, 11:24 PM
Congrats on your two honorable mentions and sale! It must be so exciting just to take part in the show, but also to get recognition is fabulous!

binkie

binkie
06-05-2005, 11:29 PM
Oh Tammy, I was so excited for you that I forgot to say thanks for the suggestions! I may have to buy more greens. :-)

binkie

Artistammy
06-05-2005, 11:41 PM
Binkie, some dark red (complementary) in with the greens in the dark areas liven it up too. I discovered that reds & purple in small amounts make a big difference & it still looks like a green tree. If you have enough tooth, you can add black to another color to darken it.
Tammy

angecald
06-06-2005, 12:01 AM
Tammy, congratulations on your honourable mentions. :clap: There sure were a lot of pictures in that show and you did very well indeed to get those awards.

Binkie, I'm no expert on composition, but it seems to me that the blue ornament on the left is a distraction. You might try moving it to the right side, or leaving it out altogether, if that's possible. I don't know if that will help, I just think it might.

There's a lot good about this picture. I love the greens, the blues, and those strong oranges - in fact, all the colour. The pool is beautiful. The trees are quite well painted, but they all appear to be on the same plane. Until I looked closer, the ones on the left looked like one tree, so what I "saw" were two big trees, two little trees, and a bench with two legs. That adds up to three prominent pairs, all appearing to be lined up at the same level. I can see that you were trying to place some of them back a bit, but if you could exaggerate that, and separate them more, it might look better. What with the blue ornament and all the pairs, it's hard to tell where the focal point is supposed to be, but I think if you make those changes it will pop right out. Just MHO, because you asked. :) Composition is a trial and error thing with me.

E-J
06-06-2005, 04:51 AM
Tammy, congratulations :) I remember both of those 'building' paintings. They look terrific mounted and framed and on display and you must be very excited about the two honorable mentions!

khourianya
06-06-2005, 12:40 PM
congratulations, Tammy! Looks like a very successful show for you! I am so happy for you!

binkie
06-06-2005, 04:17 PM
Tammy and Agnes, Thanks for the advice! It's always so helpful to get suggestions. I'm going to keep working on it.

binkie

Mikki Petersen
06-07-2005, 03:15 AM
Hooray for Tammy!:clap: :clap: :clap:
What a wonderful showing you had. Your churches look so nice framed up and that iris is just stunning!

Binkie, I think you have a good painting going on here and you have been given excellent suggestions for moving forward with it.

As for me...I deliver my paintings to the fair on Wednesday and then the judging will be on Saturday. Well, I did it...I had a show and I've entered a judged competition, albeit a very small one.

I'm really enjoying the oil paints and so far no illness. Occurred to me I used to paint in a closed in basement and used mineral spirits and straight linseed oil and that probably contributed greatly. Now I paint in a nice airy space with windows that open and an air filter running. Just got my order of 17 tubes of paint from Daniel Smith. Once again, there is no comoarison between cheap student grade product and the professional grades. Luscious, intense, rich color! Still working on my Water Garden too. I have oils to my right and pastels to my left. :rolleyes:

Mikki

Khadres
06-07-2005, 10:42 AM
I've been toying with the idea of digging out my oil paints, too, lately. They were my medium of choice years ago and I have a yen to smell the old oilies again sometimes. None of the gear ever seemed to bother me before, but we'll have to see.

We've been finally clearing out the rest of the mess in Mom's room...it will make it much easier to stash stuff in there or Mel may move in there....haven't decided yet. But now...the studio's a mess again! Why is it one always MAKES a mess cleaning up ANOTHER one???? Oh, well. At least the local thrift shop was happy to see us coming with loads of clothes and doodads yesterday!

Congratulations, Tammy!!! The paintings looked great!

blissfullyunaware
06-07-2005, 12:11 PM
Hi just popped in and almost everyone seems to be having a good month so far....

Just a note on the greens subject... Dawn (Dark Shades) was having a green issue a while back... searched the threads and found this about painting greens... a lot of good info...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122994&page=1&pp=15

Good luck.... :D

CindyW
06-07-2005, 03:00 PM
Hi Cindy... Owings Mills is actually a suburb of Baltimore, very populated :rolleyes: unfortunately. When we moved here we were moving "out into the country" or so we thought. The housing boom took over and the population has doubled in the past 10 years. I was trying to place Owings WVa, is that near Ohio?

When is your show and where? Inquiring minds want to know ;) . I know you got a lot on your plate, so please don't feel pressure to respond if you don't have time!!! Just curious :D . Take care and good luck on with your goals!

Hey Sharon! Thanks! Owings Mills is quite different in size, it seems, from Owings, W Va....which is a very small part of Shinnston, near Clarksburg. Haven't been in over 12 plus years but I've great memories there as a child.
Oh, the outdoor show is in Rangeley, Maine, and I don't know much more about it; I'm giving my husband the wheel since he asked me along for this show so here I am, painting in my spare moments, and not much else.
Piper, hope Phoenix was fun! I've been once, 10 years ago...out west, ahhh! :) Yah, the list is working well for me. Glad to set one up for you!
Sooz, the smell of oils is very earthy for me for some strange reason. Kind of being in the moment and the power of that empty canvas you attack with those first brushstrokes. I'd love to see some of your early work!
Mikki, congratulations on entering a competition! I am inspired by your steps forward. I'd love to see your oilwork, as well.
Tammy, congratulations on your honorable mentions and sale!! Wow! That's very exciting!
Binkie, spend lots of time swimming while you can. I miss it much in my life....it's one of those activities that have lessened greatly through the years with life's priorities. I was like you, a fish, and I couldn't ever get enough of it. It is one of the most fabulous feelings of freedom ever!

Had a productive weekend at my parent's house.....my daughter got to play in the kiddie pool under the maple tree while I painted nearby and my parents watched her outside for most of the weekend, which was gorgeous. I'll post the new ones when I get a chance over in the studio board.
Cindy

Khadres
06-07-2005, 03:47 PM
Looks like a great pic to me! Are you using black in places? If not, it's probably the viewer thingy on WC. Looks like you're having loads of fun!!!

Mikki Petersen
06-07-2005, 03:51 PM
Sharon, thank you for the link to memory lane. At about that same time, Dawn, Mo. and I challeneged each other. We had been bewailing our shortcomings...they were intimidated by landscapes with the greens and I was sure I could not do portraits. So we did a challenge and we all did pretty well with exploring our fears. It was a great learning experience...now, if something intimidates me as a painting subject, I take it on just to see what happens...sometimes good, sometimes not so good...but always a learning experience. It was also fun to look back at what Dawn was doing two years ago, and look at her now!

One of the sad parts about wandering off to another medium is not being able to get feedback from my trusted friends here. I'm working on a painting of Drake's Bay at Pt Reyes, CA and it has merit, I think, but something is not working and I need input. The Oil Painting Forum is much more structured than we are and not nearly so inviting so I haven't posted the piece. It's lonely out here...like visiting a town where everyone is a stranger.

Mikki

Mikki Petersen
06-07-2005, 04:29 PM
Okay, after listening to myself whine, I took the plunge and posted my current painting to the oil painting forum. Here's the link: Drake's Bay (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3592874#post3592874)
Please drift over and critique for me...

Mikki

binkie
06-07-2005, 11:02 PM
Mikki, That's great you entered a competition! Will be popping over to the other forum to sneak a peek. I am having fun with the pool pastel. I have never worked this large before (approx. 18x24) so it is a good learning experience all the way around.

Sharon, Read the posts on green that you provided. Great info. there! Will be getting out my brush and reworking the background.

Cindy, Too bad you don't get to swim as much any more. I swim every chance I get, and in the winter I go to water aerobics. Swimming definitely offers a wonderful feeling of freedom.

Sooz, If you're referring to my pool pastel, I didn't use any black. Used lots of dark greens and purples. Mount Vision's darkest green is almost black. (it's the only MV I own).

Mikki and Sooz, Sure hope you two don't let your pastels collect too much dust while you're dipping those paintbrushes into the oil paint. I so enjoy looking at your pastels.

binkie

Piper Ballou
06-08-2005, 07:18 PM
Well, I just finished my second painting today, I will post it over in soft pastels later today-it is a newfoundland dog, lots of black hair....
decided that I am going to paint a white and black dog that is posted in the reference library but not use any white or black pastels....so we shall see, might be just a good laugh
piper

binkie
06-09-2005, 02:05 PM
Hey Piper, Looked for your dog in soft pastels but didn't find it. Do I need stronger glasses or did you not post it? I've got three great black and white dogs (Boston terriers) if you don't find the right pic from the library. You horse looks great!

Piper Ballou
06-09-2005, 05:11 PM
Binkie- I did not post it yet, my husband said his muzzle looked funny so I need to work on it some more today-I am painting a terrier (It is not a boston), kinda cute, thank you for the offer for your Bostons, I am trying to build a portfolio of dog portraits so I may take you up on it.
Piper

Artistammy
06-10-2005, 10:44 AM
Mikki, glad you got your courage up & posted your oil. I'll have to go look.
I need some help getting going on my saguaro painting. I'm getting bogged down trying to decide on the composition.
I'm working on my pastel box. Dakota Pastel said they didn't think it mattered if the foam was acid-free. Now I'm thinking the bright green color of the foam may distract from choosing colors. :rolleyes: Maybe I'll spray paint it? The first glue I tried didn't work either. I hope something does. Today I'm kinda tired (Fri) so I don't know what I'll get done.
Tammy

Mikki Petersen
06-10-2005, 12:15 PM
Tammy, I don't know how big this pastel box will be, but for all the effort, have you looked at the Roz box? It's like an aluminum briefcase with four removable, slotted, foam lined trays. Only costs about 59$. I have one and so does Preston and we both love them. Very lightweight compared to the wooden boxes and will take any size pastel, even Ludwigs.

I have been off getting educated in the color theory forum...key word being "theory". What a confusing place! Everybody has an opinion...different from everyone else's... :eek: They can't even agree on what a primary color is?????? So much for that!

I delivered my paintings to the Fair on Wednesday...unbelievable disaster! I have never seen such a disorganized mess. They didn't have half the registered participants listed in their paperwork so it took about an hour of trudging back and forth from building to building in the rain to get everything straightened out...I was almost afraid to leave my paintings there! Anyway the judging is tomorrow. Don't know if I even care now...

Happy painting,
Mikki

Artistammy
06-10-2005, 06:00 PM
Mikki, I did look at the Roz box but I already had this box I bought for $5 & it will hold a few more pastels but still maybe not a piece of all my colors. For $15 & a little work I'm going to have a decent box for my purposes. It won't have slotted foam but without that I can have more pastels. I didn't want to buy the Roz & not use the foam I paid for. :wink2: I'll take pics of my progress soon. Thanks for the suggestion.
Tammy

Khadres
06-10-2005, 06:02 PM
For those interested in the Roz Box, it's even cheaper til the end of the month at Jerry's ...check it out:

www.jerrysartarama.com

khourianya
06-10-2005, 06:28 PM
I understand exactly what you are saying, Tammy. A few months ago, I was pining for a nice pastel box, but I had this really nice metal case that I planned to convert to a portable box for my pastels. It actually came out pretty nice and holds alot of pastels. I haven't used it out in the field yet, but I am starting to get a hankering for a plein air expedition so it will likelly see a fair bit of use this summer. I wrote an article on it, if you want to see how I made mine. It's in amongst the pastel article archive (Probably close to the top of the list).

That being siad - it is raining really hard again. We had a one day reprieve and now it has started up once more. With all of our flooding here, you'd think the weather would just calm down for a moment and give us some peace. At this rate, i will never be able to paint outside! It's kind of an unspoken goal for this summer - to see how I fare with on location painting. I just bought Richard McDaniel's book on plein air for pastel (great book btw). It has me all excited, yet it has hardly stopped raining since I bought it!!

Khadres
06-11-2005, 01:28 PM
I just got the book too! Great stuff! Maybe it's doing all this raining up there now so that you'll have fair weather for your move? I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

E-J
06-11-2005, 03:06 PM
Hi guys. Thought I would check in for a third-of-the-way-through-June progress report :)

Today I managed to mount and frame 6 paintings for my café display in July. I plan to frame a few more in the next week ... Not sure exactly how many I'll be hanging yet, but at least I'll have a good selection ready. As well as buying a few new frames, I recycled some of my old ones - and mounts too - to avoid spending hoooge amounts, as it won't be a great venue for selling, the idea being just to get my work up there where it can be seen. I spent 3.5 hrs framing and it was hard work, but more enjoyable than I'd expected. It's always exciting to see my pastels presented properly - I feel they're finally 'finished' and take a renewed sense of pride in them which it's hard to feel when they are piled up unseen in a folder.

So far this month I've also managed a little plein air trip and a few evenings' sketching with my OPs. So, I'm steadily meeting the goals I set myself.

Incidentally, I've got the McDaniel book, too! It's cool that he covers oil pastels as well as soft.

Mikki, I admire your commitment to improve in each medium you turn your hand to. I have dabbled so often with other media and found it great fun but I have finally decided to leave the wet media alone for the foreseeable future. Time is short and the path to pastel mastery is very long :) Your oil painting looks very accomplished and it seems you're getting some helpful feedback over there. Do post another link to show us how it develops!

Mikki Petersen
06-11-2005, 04:48 PM
That Richard McDaniel book sounds like one I need to pick up. I've been toying with going up to LaConnor to take a plein Aire workshop with him.

Cori, even though separated by many, many miles, we seem to be experiencing the same dampness. It is beautifully sunny today but still unusually cool. Remind me of whining about this when the hot sets in.

E-J, I don't see switching around in mediums as a lack of commitment to pastels. Actually, when you work in the wet mediums and have to rely on color mixing to achieve your painting, you learn a lot more about color theory and how the different colors react with and against each other. If you look around, you will find that many of the good landscape artists work in both pastel and oils. There is a lot of similarity in technique via blending, scumbling, etc that you don't find with other wet mediums. For me, one of the draws is that the oils are far less delicate and less expensive to frame. Advantages to pastel...you don't need anything but your pastels and a surface to apply them to. Advantages to oils...you don't need to own a thousand colors (my palette is 16 colors including white) Disadvantages to pastels...they are messy, dusty and the finished art is very fragile. Disadvantages to oils...mediums are necessary, the substances are largely toxic, very expensive and require about a thousand brushes. About 50-50 in my book.

I have been asked several times for larger paintings, like 36"x48" and beyond. Although I know I can get Wallis on a roll and have the larger size, pastel works are so fragile, I would be constantly to keep the work intact. I have seen that Kitty and Tom both do some very large works in pastel but I think I'd prefer something less likely to get damaged in movement...not to mention how to store such a large pastel.

The Fine Arts judging for the Fair is today, in about an hour...I have opted not to be present for the judging. I will probably regret it later, but I just don't know if my ego is strong enough for the critique right now.

Happy painting,
Mikki

E-J
06-11-2005, 08:07 PM
Hi Mikki. I'm sorry if my post seemed to be suggesting that you aren't serious about your pastels - that's not what I meant to say! I realise that our skills in one medium feed off new experiences in other media. Really I just meant that there isn't room in my life for other media anymore, for various practical reasons. I have tried oils, and frankly I'd need to apply myself full time to them to ever get anywhere close to proficient - and it's getting tricky enough to fit in my pastelling time!! I also want to avoid the solvents and toxic stuff that you mention. Lastly, I'm trying to whittle down the art supplies I need to have out for use on a regular basis. My oils, gouache and acrylics will be going into storage soon.

Mikki Petersen
06-11-2005, 08:30 PM
:D THIS NEWS JUST IN!!! :D

I'm trying to be humble but I' can hardly breathe I'm so excited! I chickened out on going to the judging...but John went and just returned with the news that I took first and second place in pastels and second place in watercolors!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: I know it is only the County Fair but it is my first judging. I'm attaching the paintings that won. Interestingly, the painting that won 1st place, Barb Noonan told me that I should enter it in a judged competition the first time she was it.

The winners are:
1st place in Pastels - "textures"
2nd Place in Pastels - "Nectarnies and black grapes"
2nd place in Watercolor - "Peppers and Gravy Boat"

Happy painting everyone!
Mikki

khourianya
06-11-2005, 08:35 PM
hmmm...I could just swear I hear Mikki's confidence soar! :D

Congratulations, Mikki! I am so proud of you!!!

E-J
06-11-2005, 08:43 PM
Mikki, first AND second place in the same category is just greedy! :D Many congratulations, and splendid job on snapping up a watercolour prize too! :clap:

Mikki Petersen
06-11-2005, 08:48 PM
Thank you! Thank you! I could never have gotten here without all of you. I am so blessed. And Cori, I've got such a big head right now I'm amazed I fit through doors! That and I think I might throw up... :rolleyes:

:D :) :evil: :D :cat:
Mikki

SweetBabyJ
06-11-2005, 08:59 PM
******Congratulations!!*****

Way to go, Mikki! When you come down, get to work- now you get to do it again.... ;)

Artistammy
06-11-2005, 09:04 PM
Congrats! :clap: :clap: :clap: Great paintings. Enjoy your success!
Tammy

Khadres
06-11-2005, 09:20 PM
I've been waiting to hear how you came out on the show. Not surprised at all on the outcome. Oddly enough, though I really admire the two pastels you entered, I wouldn't have picked them as your very best work, so you should have plenty more to enter for the next show you find! I really love the watercolor tho...hadn't seen it before...too cool! When you peel yourself off the cieling, you'll have to begin getting ready for the next show! You're on a roll now!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :wave:

HarvestMoon
06-11-2005, 09:22 PM
I give up on goals until school starts again! Now I am a chaffeur and referee.

prestonsega
06-11-2005, 09:27 PM
ooooh-lala!!!!Congrats, Mikki!

But I am honestly not surprised!!!! Hard work pays off!! Enjoy your rewards :)

Dyin
06-11-2005, 09:33 PM
Mikki, that is so AWESOME!!!! WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO and WELL deserved, girl!!!!!!!!

Khadres
06-11-2005, 09:48 PM
We should have a party! I'll get one of those little tiara thingys for the Artists of Honor and bring some margarita makin's! We'll sit out under Mikki's trees and toast the Fair judges for their expertise!! Let's see...who all won awards this month??? Tammi, Johnnie, Mikki, and somebody else I'm forgetting...uhmmm...shoot, who else was it???

Mikki Petersen
06-11-2005, 09:49 PM
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! So far, I'm just walking around in circles. Isn't that silly? Nothing has changed...like you all have said...get to work!

Mikki

Mikki Petersen
06-11-2005, 10:08 PM
Sounds good to me! I'll make a bunch of munchies! Actually, I'm getting ready to sit out under those very trees and indulge in one of my very rare glasses of wine...hoping it will mellow me out :eek: You are all invited to join me!

Mikki

Nancy Leone
06-11-2005, 11:31 PM
Artist Mikki,
CONGRATULATIONS!

Mikki Petersen
06-11-2005, 11:34 PM
Artist Nancy, THANK YOU!

Mikki

Piper Ballou
06-11-2005, 11:37 PM
Congratulations....think I am just as excited as you......will have a toast tonight in your honor...
piper

angecald
06-11-2005, 11:52 PM
Mikki, I posted congrats in the talk thread, but you deserve all you can get, so CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN!!! And something has changed, you know. You now have proof that your work is liked by people who aren't blood relatives or personal friends. That's very, very good for the self confidence.

Mikki Petersen
06-12-2005, 12:20 AM
Thank you Piper! BTW, I also want to thank you for the link to public domain photos you posted somewhere...I found some wonderful photos there and links to other sites with wonderful photos in the public domain...one of an old irish spinner that I can't wait to get started on.

Agnes, thank you so much. Yes, it is very gratifying to receive validation from strangers. Kinda silly when you think about it...but I needed this.

Mikki

Piper Ballou
06-12-2005, 12:55 AM
Mikki- you are welcome...hope you can sleep tonight with all the excitment of the day.
Do you use a lot of public domain photos? I use them from this site but still worry about using them from other sites, even though they say- public domain and one can use them, but I still worry.
piper

Mikki Petersen
06-12-2005, 01:26 AM
No...generally I try to paint from my own photos pretty much exclusively. If I took the photo then I was there and something moved my to snap a pic. Every now and then though, I get captured by a really intriguing subject and I just have to give it a try. If a person offers up his photography for public use, and specifically states that is for any use, then I feel somewhat safe in using it. There is still the potential the photo that person is offering up isn't his own. I even worry a bit about that here.

As for sleeping, a little wine and a bit of time to live with the idea and I'm suddenly exhausted! I'm like a little kid...the excitment just wipes me out.

Sweet Dreams all!
Mikki

Kitty Wallis
06-12-2005, 02:05 AM
Hi Goals members,
Reporting some progess:
A couple of new oil plein airs over in th eplein air forum titled 'Latest oil pa'

binkie
06-12-2005, 02:34 AM
Oh Mikki, HOW TOTALLY FABULOUS :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

binkie

binkie
06-12-2005, 02:38 AM
Piper, I really like your newfie! His fur is great.

Kitty Wallis
06-12-2005, 02:54 AM
Mikki!!! You deserve it!
Congratulations. I bet that judge was happy to see your stuff. A genuine set of works that deserve honors.

E-J
06-12-2005, 04:14 AM
I guess it's too early for you to be up yet as I post this, Mikki, but I hope you wake up on Sunday feeling just as exhilarated and proud as you did yesterday ... and not suffering too much from a hangover :)

Thought I would share a pic of my framing activity from yesterday. I also want to display my painting of the orange lilies against the blue/green quilt but can't find a 20x20" frame anywhere locally so I might have to investigate a professional framer for that one!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2005/13865-framed0001.JPG

Mikki Petersen
06-12-2005, 09:46 AM
E-J, the pro framers are a bit pricy but they can do a wonderful job for you on those odd sized paintings. Also, have you considered the frames that you put together? You buy a pair of each measurement and they usually clip together fairly easily. Unfortunately, you then have to find a glass-cutter to fit glass to them. I love the idea of displaying the lilies over the quilt you used for the painting. How cool is that!

Binkie, thank you so much. It has been a long road but it gives me some confidence to keep going.

Kitty, you are back in the ether! So good to see you here. I'll have to go check out your new en plein aires. Thank you for your support.

Mikki

Khadres
06-12-2005, 10:11 AM
It's amazing what a little validation can do, isn't it? I never felt like an artist until I'd sold several ptgs for decent money (more than the cost of supplies, at least!) and won some ribbons. No matter how many other artists or family or friends told me I was an artist, it didn't register until some STRANGERS agreed by buying or awarding me the status. And then that didn't last, of coure...you have to continue to strive for it, mostly to reassure yourself after that first flush of success. Even those of us who paint primarily for pleasure shine a little brighter when we have that precious feedback from the unbiased "public". I think that's why we all need to find venues where we can show our personal views of the world around us to people we don't know -- so we can be sure we're actually communicating and connecting. It's not all ego either; I think it's more akin to needing to know if you're speaking the language of the human soul or just gibberish.

Those of us who have ventured to enter shows this year, so far, even those who won nothing in the way of awards, are taking an important step in the artist's journey. Congratulations to all of you!

Khadres
06-12-2005, 10:16 AM
E-J, have you investigated the sectional frames available online? I notice you're using a lot of the slim profile frames and often they are sold by the pair (long and short side) and you put 'em together. They're very easy to assemble. You would still need to cut a mat to fit or have one cut, but that would be lots cheaper than a custom frame and mat would be.

bnoonan
06-12-2005, 03:27 PM
This is a message for the Blue Ribbon Winner - CONGRATULATIONS MIKKI!!!

What wonderful news and I just think it couldn't happen to a better more talented painter in both mediums. Savor the joy and smile, smile, smile!!!

Oh and if you want to go to the San Rafael Italian Street Chalk Painting show happening today, let me know. I need to get over there later in the afternoon to see what others have created.

oh and happy happy days to the rest of you! It's good to see the gang here!

Barb :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

blissfullyunaware
06-12-2005, 07:26 PM
Mikki... :clap: :clap: :clap: better late than never.... Congradulations!!!! Beautiful work... all of them, no wonder you won!!!

purplelizard
06-12-2005, 08:30 PM
Hello all!
congratulations, Mikki! that is SO exciting! :clap:

Your experience in the oil painting forum is not an isolated event - a year or so ago, when I joined WC, I got my backside chewed on as a newbie. Newbie WC'er, newbie artist. I headed for other forums, asap. I do oil paintings if you ever want to share with me. It's been a while, but I've got the itch to get back to it.

Goals? Paint everyday, even if I don't finish something (I work fast, usually.) And, work smaller. My stuff tends to be huge!!

i'm so happy to be back on WC!!
:D

binkie
06-12-2005, 09:53 PM
EJ, your paintings are all so lovely. And framed they are even more eye catching.

Mikki, are you still walking on Cloud 9? Are you going to the fair and take pics for us? Congratulations again!!

Below is my progress (?) on the painting I'm calling the Green Glops. Haven't quite decided where to crop it yet. There are parts of it I like and parts I really dislike. The second pic is the portrait I'm working on. Just can't seem to get the eyes right. :evil:

binkie

binkie
06-13-2005, 12:08 AM
Hope I didn't offend anyone with the portrait. I just couldn't help myself. Actually, I am having trouble getting the eyes right and plan to brush them off and start over on them.

binkie

khourianya
06-13-2005, 12:20 AM
I wasn't offended :D I actually got quite the chuckle out of your plea for comments. It's a very creative portrait! Great job!

I'm a fan of the title you gave your other one. The green glops! lol. I like the idea of a crop on it, because right now I notice that my eyes don't really settle anywhere. If you need some help with potential crops, you should post it in the soft pastel studio and see the feedback that you get there.

Piper Ballou
06-13-2005, 01:42 AM
Binkie- looks like you had fun with the portrait, and the water in your pool looks very refreshing...
piper

binkie
06-13-2005, 02:40 AM
Okay, guess I'd better confess. The portrait pic was a joke. Below is the improved portrait.

binkie :evil:

Piper Ballou
06-13-2005, 02:41 AM
how did you do that...that is too funny

binkie
06-13-2005, 02:45 AM
I was playing with my photo program on the computer. It changes colors and shapes.

binkie :-)))

Piper Ballou
06-13-2005, 02:48 AM
Well, Binkie, you made me laugh today for sure, thank you
piper

Mikki Petersen
06-13-2005, 02:55 AM
Binkie, you are such a kidder! And I like the "green glob" painting and think it deserves a bit more work and a much better title. Post it in the Studio and get some suggestions for improving it before you go hacking it to bits. And, yes, of course I'm going to the Fair to get my piktur took and I'm making everyone in my family attend as well.

Kristen, your goal is probably the most important one you can choose. I was talking to an artist today at our Assn meeting and she said her work has improved by leaps and bounds and she owes it all to a broken ankle. She was laid up for six weeks and spent the whole time drawing everything in her bedroom and living room, making family members pose, etc. No, I'm not suggesting you go to that extreme...but every good painting begins with drawing skills and it cannot help but improve the overall work.

As mentioned, I attened the Placerville Arts Assn meeting today for the first time. I was so impressed by the organized meeting that was still friendly and fun even though there must have been more than 40 people in attendance.

Of interest to you all might be The 39th Mother Lode National Art Exhibition with awards totalling $4000 in cash and merchandise and a best of show prize of $500. Slide deadline is July 6th. Entry forms can be found at the PAA website (http://www.placervillearts.com). The actual event is August 28-September 11, 2005. Judge is Dale Laitinen and juror is Marilyn Simandle. This will be my next adventure...submitting slides to a juried show.

Happy painting,
Mikki

Kathryn Day
06-13-2005, 05:54 AM
Mikki, I was delighted when I read of your success with your entries to the Fair. Keep flying high!!

Khadres
06-14-2005, 12:16 AM
Sounds like a great thing, Mikki! Glad you finally joined PAA and enjoyed the experience. Keep us posted on how it goes. I knew that once you broke the ice and pushed yourself out the door into the world at large, there'd be no holding you back! Go girl!

binkie
06-15-2005, 02:33 PM
Again, I want to apologize if I offended anyone with my joke portrait. Sometimes I just need a laugh when I'm frustrated with the piece I'm working on. Below is the actual portrait, which is one of the goals I set for June.

binkie

Khadres
06-15-2005, 04:25 PM
You didn't offend anyone, I'm sure! And I can understand the frustration factor when it comes to portraits! This is looking very good, tho! If it's your first try at one, I'm REALLY impressed!

binkie
06-15-2005, 05:59 PM
Thanks Sooz. No, it's not the first portrait I've done. I did a couple last year for class and was given a lot of help by the wonderful members here (Julie, Barb EJ). But this is the first portrait I've attempted since then, and totally on my own. I've reworked the eyes numerous times and am still not satisfied, but the portrait is coming along.

binkie

Piper Ballou
06-15-2005, 09:51 PM
Binkie, This time the eyes are really looking good...I know I was not offended at all, had a good laugh out of it.
piper

Khadres
06-15-2005, 11:20 PM
I'm always in awe of anyone who manages to catch a likeness in portraits...somehow I always managed to come so close, but not close enough!

Mikki Petersen
06-16-2005, 12:37 AM
I wasn't offended, Binkie, just greatly relieved not to have to figure a way to advise you not to quit your day job, LOL! The real portrait is looking quite good, for any portrait let alone your first. Keep on keeping on, you little trickster!

Mikki

Piper Ballou
06-16-2005, 10:47 AM
Being summer, my goals have been to paint, paint, paint. This week I am taking a week long class, I have had homework every night :confused: so last night I decided to skip the homework and paint. Gosh, it felt so good and I am so relaxed this morning.
here is the little guy I worked on, as I post it, I can see a few things that need to be tweaked...his left eye for one...
worked on him for about 2 hours last night, but I had him drawn out so maybe 3 or so hours total (that is a quickie for me)
Wallis 6 by 9
piper

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2005/8539-Small_Dog_resized.jpg

khourianya
06-16-2005, 11:22 AM
Oh, Piper! He looks just like one of the pups that goes to our dog park. Such a cutie!

Khadres
06-16-2005, 12:13 PM
Adorable! You're sure gettin' good at critters of all kinds!

Mikki Petersen
06-16-2005, 02:25 PM
Piper! Thank you for that! this little fellow gave me great big grin with my morning coffee! I think the only thing you need to do with that left eye is reposition the pupil unless he's a cross-eyed rascal. Beautifully done...well worth playing hooky for.

Mikki

binkie
06-16-2005, 02:50 PM
Piper, he is just darling!!! I really like the colors you used.

binkie

binkie
06-18-2005, 02:58 PM
Came aross a real old black and white photo yesterday and decided to have some fun with it. It isn't finished, and I got some things cattywhampus and have done little with the house, but I feel pretty good about it so far.

binkie

Piper Ballou
06-18-2005, 08:38 PM
Binkie- Looks good...Is that you?

I have decided that I want to push myself time wise a little, not that I need to be in a hurry, but think the more time I take with a painting the more I keep myself closed up creativitly, does that make sense?...so I decided to do some qucik paintings...started witht the little terrier already posted, that took 3 hours and then decided to do one of the WDE
so here he is, a little under two hours Wallis 6 by 9

Actually I am pretty pleased with it but if you see something that needs to be fixed, let me know

Piper

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jun-2005/8539-Small_black_dog_resized.jpg

khourianya
06-18-2005, 09:40 PM
Ohhh - Piper - he came out soooo goood! I just want to jump right into your painting and hug him!!! :D

Binkie - looks good! You've done well in working from a B?W photo!

binkie
06-19-2005, 01:10 AM
Piper, I love your dog!!! And the background is beautiful.

Yes, that's me too many years ago to count. I'm going to change the background - simplify it. My respect and awe for all the artists and talent here just keeps growing and growing.

binkie

tURBOCAT
06-19-2005, 10:21 AM
Mikki - I am just geting caught up here and WOW!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
I know you are excited and it's well derserved. Sorry I'm a week late on this one.

Johnnie

Piper Ballou
06-19-2005, 01:06 PM
Thanks Cori and Binkie, I will have to say, I tried not to think about anything when I painted this last one, was a little worried about the time, but decided at the end of 2 hours I would just stop....wonder if there is a market for these type of paintings...Quick Draws...just a thought
piper

angecald
06-19-2005, 04:52 PM
Bnkie, that's a really interesting picture you've got going there. I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Piper, that's a wonderful dog portrait. I can't believe you did it in just an hour.

angecald
06-20-2005, 02:06 AM
Hi, all. Just a notice that my website is now active, and I would love to have you all drop by and check it out. There's not much to see, yet, and most if not all of the pictures have already been posted on WC, but I would appreciate any comments on how it works, if it's easy to navigate, etc. Anything important missing? Paypal button will be added this week.

binkie
06-20-2005, 02:29 AM
Agnes, your website is looking great!

binkie

purplelizard
06-20-2005, 09:39 AM
Agnes, it looks great! Let us know when you're finished!! :clap:

purplelizard
06-20-2005, 08:41 PM
In keeping with my goal, I've been working on this painting for the past few days - We have lavender farms in the Hill Country and I photographed a few last July. It was about 100 degrees the day we were out there!

It is 12 x 9", soft pastel on Colourfix paper (the sanded paper with the white border). I can never remember what it's called!

I just realized that I forgot a hint of a shadow under my person:eek:... I will fix that.

angecald
06-20-2005, 10:26 PM
Kristen and Binkie, thanks for looking at my site.

Kristen, the lavender picture is looking very good. It gives the feeling of a hot summer day. I have one lavender plant in my garden. I would love to see rows and rows of it like that.

Piper Ballou
06-21-2005, 12:33 AM
Anges, I liked your website. It is one of my goals (not this month) to get a website going. How did you decide to use Artspan? I have seen a lot who have their own websites, wonder if one is better than the other?

Kristen- I love your lavender farms, it does look hot, but then I can almost smell the flowers too...good job
piper

angecald
06-21-2005, 12:01 PM
Hi, Piper, thanks for checking out my website.

I went for Artspan mainly because I'm such a know-nothing about technology. My daughter would have built me a site, but she said I would need to learn some HTML so I could do ongoing maintenance. I don't mind doing that, but my low-tech brain doesn't catch on easily to this sort of thing, so to save time I chose a ready-made site, knowing full well that I'm sacrificing some $$ and some flexibility.

I checked some other hosts offering the same services, and some were cheaper. I decided to pay a bit more because Artspan offers a really simple web address, easy for people to remember, and also because they work to promote the site by linking to search engines and advertising in magazines to attract attention from art buyers. The other hosts weren't offering that. It's something you have to do on your own if you make your own site, and that's something else I would have to learn.

I tested by googling some of the artists I saw on Artspan, and they were very easy to find on a general search.

Another thing about Artspan is the design of the sites. Not that I'm in love with it. One reason I dilly-dallied so long before committing to this is that I hoped for something more exciting. I've seen some gorgeous ones, many belonging to WC members, with beautiful colours and fonts, lots of personal touches, and the playfulness people might expect from an artist. Artspan seemed kind of just-the-facts-ma'am, and the colour schemes offered are all so dull. As soon as you enter a site, you see everything there is to see. No lead-in, no enticement, no mystery.

Still, they have a ready-made setup for everything you need - the artist's statement, bio, gallery, prices, etc. The pictures load up quickly. They don't have a shopping cart but you can have a paypal button. The colour schemes are inoffensive and don't compete with the art.

Being a babe in tech-land, I still get a kick out of animations and graphics. I love things that spin and wave, so I'm disappointed not to be able to use them on my site. My daughter tells me this stuff is just incredibly annoying, and I'm better off without it. It seems I've missed the fun part of the technical revolution! :D

To sum up, if you make your own site you'll be able to have anything you want on it, make it very personal, and it will be a lot cheaper, but you need good computer skills and you will have to do a lot of work to make sure it gets seen. Artspan, and other sites like it, save you some work, and cost more money. You don't have to sign a contract, so if it doesn't seem to be paying off, you can drop it at any time.

One thing you might want to know, because I was already signed up before I found out. With Artspan, for a lower cost you get a domain name such as [email protected] For a little more $, you can get just YourName.com. If you choose that, you are obliged to put "a member of Artspan.com" in brackets beside your web address in all advertising material. It's not a big problem. You just might like to know before you decide.

Piper Ballou
06-23-2005, 12:32 PM
Agnes- thanks so much for the information. I printed it off to use as a reference. One thing I think I would like to do, is pet portraits, and I will need to be able to list, prices, etc....so not sure what direction I am going in yet, but not in a big hurry either, really all I want to do is just have fun and paint, paint, paint...worry about other stuff later.
piper

binkie
06-27-2005, 09:12 PM
Think I pretty much have the pool plein air ready to take to class Friday. I'm not totally happy with it but will get a critique on Friday. Any last minute suggestions would be appreciated.

Also practiced perspective and read through one of my drawing books. Do believe that's my goals for the month.

binkie

Khadres
06-27-2005, 11:44 PM
Looking good! You're on a roll now! Have fun at the class!

khourianya
06-28-2005, 02:43 PM
ahhh..creeping up on month end already! :eek: So how have we all fared on those goals?

I must say that since I got back from Toronto, I have made a much bigger point of having my sketchbook in my bag at all times and have been pulling it out more and more while I wait for things. I am getting to the point where I may actually be able to say that I actually sketch every day. I am enjoying sketching from life, just random things that I come across. I even sat on the bus on the way home from edmonton last week and did quick compositions as I passed things...and they didn't come out too bad! :D

The thing I think I am more excited about, though, is that I now WANT to try some plein air. I am getting over the bit where I don't want people standing over my shoulder, watching what I am doing. Last week, I was sketching in a restaurant while I waited for my meal and I found that the staff were walking by trying to sneak peeks at my progress. It was actually kind of cool and really killed any "stage fright" that I had about drawing in public!

Khadres
06-28-2005, 05:58 PM
Good for you, Cori! I still have a problem with folks looking over my shoulder ANY time, much less while I'm trying to do art! Makes me nervous and I always goof up! Something I'll just have to learn to live with...

I'm dying to see your new studio once you get a chance to set it up! Will be so cool to have plenty of space! Glad the dreaded move is over with at least. Now all you have to do is let the dust settle. Glad it was you and not ME!

Artistammy
06-30-2005, 06:32 PM
Cori, Good for you sketching more.
I'm doing well with my goals. I actually painted plein air this week. I'm working on the saguaro painting every day. I got to go take a bunch of photos here in NM so I'll have funstuff to paint when I get home. Now I just can get some Wallis paper in Taos my vacation goals will be great.
Tammy

Khadres
06-30-2005, 07:50 PM
Glad you're having such fun in NM, Tammy! And good luck on finding some Wallis!

I've only done one sketch in pastels this month...have been dabbling with colored pencils and watercolor pencils, etc. With luck I'll be back to the dusties in July. I figure it's all art and good experience, no matter the medium.

HarvestMoon
06-30-2005, 08:37 PM
Too hot here to have real goals- I plan to do at least 2 pastels that I have put real work into the drawing, and keep the dogs out of the neighbors chickens! How's that?

Khadres
06-30-2005, 09:31 PM
Sounds good to me! Better add keeping the donkey out of the road, too, tho! :D

Not sure what my goals for July will be. Just doing more art of whatever kind, I guess. Had to spend way too much time this month running around dealing with red tape and bureaucracy!