PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble May 30 Thru June 5

K Taylor-Green
05-30-2005, 12:28 PM
Good morning, all!! If you have time this busy holliday weekend, stop in and visit here. This is where we share all about our lives, our families, jobs, kids, and pets.

What a weekend! I know I've mentioned Wolf Park before, a wonderful wolf study facility in Battle Ground, Indiana. This was my fourth visit, something I try to do once a year. It is a five hour drive from here. My oldest grandson, Colin loves this place, and this was the second time he has gone with us as a birthday outing. This year, a younger grandson joined us. Austin is 5, Colin, 8.
The trip proved to be as eventful as the destination. I'd forgotten what it was like to take multiple children on a road trip! :eek: Silly me. After several warnings, dire threats, and multiple pit stops, we finally arrived. We were lucky, a new tour was just forming. We wanted Austin to experience the full thing. The idea was to do a tour, go through the gift shop, go back into Lafayette for dinner, and come back for the Howl Night event, which began at 7:30.
The tour was wonderful. Seeing familiar things and animals from the eyes of two small boys made it new to us. And some things were new. Six puppies were born in April, and they were out with their "puppy mom" in a pen for all to view. The pups are taken from their wolf mom and given to a human mom at the age of 10 days. This is why this facility is so successful. They are all bonded to humans as very small pups. This allows them to be cared for, and viewed by the puplic with no stress to the wolves. This way they act naturally in front of crowds of people and you get a very real idea of wolf behavior. We saw more natural wolf interaction in an hour than wolf biologists
see in the wild, ever.
After the lecture, which I seem to be giving here, the kids were encouraged to howl, and the wolves answered back! It was cool!!
Sorry for the length of this, it's just such a great place to take kids on an outing, and for anyone who loves wolves, as I do! The more I watch the animals there, the more I understand my own wolfdog, Raven. After all, he is 60% wolf, and he is, well.............different. But don't tell him I said so. :rolleyes:
The trip home was quiet, as two tired, but happy, boys slept their way back to Ohio, and two tired grandparents drank enough coffee to float a small boat!
Since the boys both chattered the day away, yesterday, to their parents and anyone else who would listen, I guess the trip was a winner. We'll probably do it again. :)

Piper Ballou
05-30-2005, 03:18 PM
School Is Out for SUMMMER.... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well, for the first two days I have done nothing but take little naps, my dining room table is piled high with school junk and there are dishes in the sink, but who cares..I am painting today and tomorrow and the next day...and so forth...yipeeeeee

Kate, your trip with your grandsons sounds like so much fun. And they will remember this for a long time. We have been watching our grandson who will be two in July about once a week, and having a blast doing it. I have a small flower garden in the yard and he likes watering it....well, he like mostly just playing in the water...

I honestly did not realize that I could still run so fast..and boy does he have a little evil laugh :evil:

Deborah Secor
05-30-2005, 03:43 PM
Ha ha! Love that picture of your grandson, Piper! I can just hear somebody aying to him, "Don't you point that hose at my camera, young man..." Hope the water was turned off! LOL Enjoy your summertime--let the dishes rot, I say! They'll be waiting there for you when you have time!

Kate, the wolf trip sounds great. I remember being in the Rockies as a kid, somewhere I can't really remember, when the man in charge started to howl and the sled dogs all joined in. It's memorable enough that I can still see a 'snapshot' in my mind and hear those dogs after about 50 years! I bet your grandsons will do the same.

We've had a full, full, full weekend already, so I'm looking forward to a day OFF. We had the graduation on Friday, I did a demo at the library on Saturday for the city's tricentennial celebration (sold the demo painting, too--an extra treat!), and yesterday we helped host a reception for the missionaries to York, England who are home for a couple of weeks. After seeing all the slides of the city and surroundings I am just dying to go there. I saw shots of the Dales--not far from where they are, I understand--and I can just see myself painting there!!! I'm longing to be able to do a workshop there, but we'll see if that's in the (Master's) plan or not. Wouldn't that be fun? The city looks so interesting, all the ancient walls and the Minster, the river scenes...well, I could go on. :rolleyes:

I have some photos of my on location paintings that I need to post in a thread. We went to the Botanical Gardens last Thursday (the beginning of my long 'weekend', in a way) and it turned out to be a wonderful place to paint. I'll see if I can get that up sometime soon...

Have a good Memorial Day, USA. Amid the barbecuing don't forget the men and women who have served this country with their lives!! We have a LOT to be grateful for.

Deborah

Khadres
05-30-2005, 05:08 PM
After seeing all the slides of the city and surroundings I am just dying to go there. I saw shots of the Dales--not far from where they are, I understand--and I can just see myself painting there!!! I'm longing to be able to do a workshop there, but we'll see if that's in the (Master's) plan or not. Wouldn't that be fun? The city looks so interesting, all the ancient walls and the Minster, the river scenes...well, I could go on. :rolleyes:

Deborah

York and the Dales were my favorite place in England too! If you hear of a good workshop or if you decide to GIVE one over there, be sure and let me know in advance so I can tag along!!!! It's even BETTER in person! You'd love the "shambles" and walking the old cobbled streets at night with the Minster bells chiming the hour....sighhhhhhhhhh And the Dales are MORE beautiful than any photo I've ever seen!

Mikki Petersen
05-30-2005, 07:38 PM
Happy Memorial Day and remember our troops abroad!

Piper, your grandson is adorable and I love his chapeau!

Kate, that Wolf Park sounds like an incredible experience. My hubby has a great fascination with wolves...reads books about them watched documentaries, etc. He would just love a trip like that. Unfortunately, Indiana is only about 2500 miles away...sigh!

I'm getting ready to take my first journey into oil painting in about 35 years. Last time I ended up in the hospital with some kind of poisoning from them. I'm hoping it was a one time thing... Anyway, our local art association has assigned everyone to do a painting of a pear for the next meeting, so I thought this would be a good first subject for oils. Not quitting the pastels, mind you...just a little side trip.

Very quiet around here...weather is unseasonably chilly after being unseasonably warm last week. Impossible to know how to dress for the day anymore.

Have a good week everyone and happy Painting!
Mikki

Pat Isaac
05-30-2005, 09:06 PM
Love that picture of your grandson, Piper. What an awesome place to visit, Kate. The trip sounds wonderful and it seems as if everyone had a great time.
Mikki, good luck with your foray into oils and I hope you are not allergic this time.
The weather here for the weekend actually was summer like. The first time this year, and despite afternoon rains, it was great. We managed to get most of our garden in and will finish it off in a few more days. The goal was to get it done before we went on our Grand Canyon trip because it might be too late when we got back.
I had to rescue a turtle from our yard this afternoon. I thought my husband was kidding when he said there was a turtle walkng across the yard. It was a painted turtle of reasonable size who went into the garden. I knew he'd wander around for a long time before he found a way out, so I put him in a bucket and returned him to the pond behind our house. He was very happy.

Have a good week.

Pat :wave:

Jo Castillo
05-31-2005, 03:13 AM
Kate, did you get pictures of the wolves? Sounds great and memorable.

Piper, cute picture and sounds like you are enjoying.

Deborah, saw your paintings in the plein air section. Liked the first one the best, but as you can tell from my work, I like more detail. Looks like the Sandias in the background. :)

Mikki, enjoy the oils. A break and change always inspires.

Pat, we lived in Lubbock, TX, back in the eighties and had a family of land tarapins in the back yard. Many little baby turtles. Fun to see and watch.

We had my daughter's second family (college room mate's family) over for brisket yesterday. Today I washed dishes and straightened up so we could finish the framing for the show. We will put it up tomorrow and the open house is Saturday. Gene, husband, will do his famous brisket for that, too. Friend, Regina, and I are the "Pastel Pair". We painted a painting together, no time to post you can see it on my main page, link in my signature. I think we are almost ready. We decorate the front window and get two walls in the main room of our small gallery. Exciting and nerve wracking as always. Will post some pictures.

Later,
Jo

Jo Castillo
05-31-2005, 03:16 AM
Mikki,
Forgot to mention that we are the "Pastel Pair" and painted pears, so will be anxious to see your oil pear.
Jo

Artistammy
05-31-2005, 11:28 AM
The road trip to see the wolves sounds like fun.
Piper, that picture is so cute & reminds of how mischievious our son was when younger.
I'm also getting ready for an art show competition. I just heard Sat evening about one I entered last year & had kept trying to find out if they were having it this year. I've got to take them by noon tomorrow. :eek: I had finished the iris earlier Sat but it has to be matted & framed. I think I may also take the snow church scene & the Truchas church sunset one also(already framed, PTL). Or 2 out of 3 but which? lol

I'd already made plans to have parents over to have hamburgers & homemade ice cream plus go to Levelland (30 mi) to take flowers to my Dad's grave in the morning yesterday. I've had a very busy weekend also. Then the in-laws decided this was a great day to go to the veteran's memorial & would be offended if we didn't have a half hour to go. Of course, it took longer than that! I also didn't get to rest my recovering from surgery foot any all afternoon. After we finally shooed our parents out at 9:30 (who usually leave right after dinner) we had to have a talk with our son about college. My bedtime is usually 9 but didn't get to bed until after 11. We finally got all 3 of us together after trying all weekend. We had to decide today if he was going to summer school or not. And can you guess?! He's still not happy with his major. He's kind of interested more in computer internet & web design/system admin. He's 1 yr from graduating with a 4 yrs degree but that university doesn't have a program like that. The 2 yr jr college does but hubby still thinks it's important in the job market to have a 4 yr degree. So, what to do? Pray alot. Our son has also become somewhat depressed & is going to seek counsel from the youth pastor & maybe a professional. Things have certainly been stressful around here. At least our beloved mini schnauzer still seems to be OK. Hopefully she doesn't have the disease the vet thought last week.
A hail storm woke us at 5:30 worried about our cars....it was golfball size. I guess I'm going to be tired today. I 've got to decide if I want lt blue matboard enough to go out & get it before I cut mats for the painting. The rain seems to be clearing up some.
Jo, I hope your show goes really well. Show us some pics if you can after. I enjoyed looking at your website.
Tammy :wave:

Artistammy
06-01-2005, 10:38 AM
I noticed there haven't been any more posts since mine. Hope mine wasn't too much of a downer. :wink2: I'm progressing on the framing. I've got a few more steps to go before I can take them to get them to Post before noon. I wish I'd found out sooner. I hope I remember to post a pic of the iris framed. I chose the light blue outer with darker blue inner mat. :wave:
Tammy

khourianya
06-01-2005, 10:51 AM
Just checking in quickly. My friends computer is down so I had to track down an internet connection elsewhere.

I am still in Toronto. I didn't win the award, but I kind of expected that since the guy who did win went to the school that was one of the major event sponsors. I did, however, come away with a lovely decanter set as a finalist gift (and now I need to get another suitcase so I can take ithome - it wonb't fit in the duffle bag I brought with me :( )

I have been having far too much fun here. If I walk much more, my feet will certainly fall off. Oh - and I went to St. Catharines yesterday and found great american artworks pastels. THAT is going to be dangerous. They are so lucious!!! :eek:

I will write a longer post when I get back tomorrow and will be sure to include photos of the event and maybe some of the sketches I did while I was here. Talk to y'all tomorrow!

Khadres
06-01-2005, 12:57 PM
Can't wait for more details, Cori! Have a safe trip home!

Pat Isaac
06-01-2005, 01:57 PM
Looking forward to hearing all your news and seeing your posts, Cori. Sounds like you had a great time over all.

Pat

Mikki Petersen
06-01-2005, 02:53 PM
Tammy, you did not overwhelm us. I was too busy yesterday to post. I know it seems like a crisis that your son is considering changing his major now with only a year to go...but it is not that unusual for a student to change focus as knowledge progresses. That he recognizes his depression and is seeking cousel from your pastor is reassuring. Shows wisdom on his part. Our son dropped out of college to sell Amway of all things! But, you know? It turned out to be an excellent education for him. He did all their courses and attended all the meetings and networked like crazy and learned far more practical knowledge than with a Master's degree in the formal environment (no! I'm not suggesting Amway for alternate education :eek: ). Today, he owns his own Mortgage Company and is very wealthy. Go figure?

Cori, I hope you are taking photos for us to share your trip. I've always thought Toronto would be a lovely place to visit. I'm sorry you did not win the competition but you did get recognition and that's important. And you got this lovely vacation to boot!

I'm finding that pastel painting has great advantages over other mediums as I journey off on my little venture into oil painting. All we need are pastels and paper, basicly! All those wet mediums have so many complex problems to figure out...which brushes, mediums, glazes, drying times...we just go right to painting! Still, it is fun to try other challenges...and we do create all that dust...

Mikki

Piper Ballou
06-01-2005, 03:29 PM
Cori- I have been wondering how things are going for you, isn't fun to be havign to much fun....glad to hear it.

Mikki- that is one of the appeals for me with pastels, quick start and no clean up..I tend to paint for a short period of time and then go for a time and come back, like not having the hassles of brushes etc

Tammy- I got busy yesterday too. And glad to hear you have made you frame and mat choices.

I have been offered a new teaching position at a little rural school- 40 miles from here, same district and pretty much the same program I am doing at the junior high school in town, they just want to start an Alternative Program for troubled students out there. I have listed both the pros and cons for both jobs and think I may have to toss a coin.
The biggest pro or con for both are...
new school will only be 4 days a week with Fridays off- they have a van pool so the distance is not so bad
old school, I know what to expect and have my program pretty much in place, will not have to a lot of changes even using it at the new school, guess at the new school it is a little fear of the unkown, starting somewhere new, etc

what do you all think?
Piper

Khadres
06-01-2005, 05:28 PM
Piper, I'd just mull it over for awhile longer maybe? Sometimes the answer will come if I let it "percolate" in the back of my mind awhile. Also, the final decision should really be based on what you WANT to do the most. You're up to the challenge of either job, so it's just a choice of which sounds the most appealing. Put it on the back burner for a few days, paint paint paint, and then see how you feel.

K Taylor-Green
06-02-2005, 12:04 AM
Piper, I agree with Sooz. Just let it set. then, go with your feelings.

Mikki, do a search on wolf research centers, I'm sure there is one closer than Indiana for John to get a wolf fix!! For a virtual visit, have him go to www.wolfpark.org. He'll love it.

Tammy, My daughter changed her major twice. It all worked out.

Speaking of daughters. Megan's C-section is schedualed for this Friday morning, June 3rd, at 8:00 AM. I'm sooooo excited. Another little grandson. His name will be Owen
Christopher Gorecki. I'll have all other birth information and photos, Friday afternoon.

Mikki Petersen
06-02-2005, 01:29 AM
Kate, thanks for the link! I just had a lovely adventure reading about Orca and looking at all the beautiful photos. On their links page they have a link to a Wolf Park in CA but the link is not working. There is a beautiful one up in Oregon though and we go through Oregon several times a year.

My very best wishes to you, your daughter and your new grandson come this Friday!

Mikki

Kathryn Wilson
06-02-2005, 10:59 AM
Wow, lots of soul searching going on -

Tammy, your son is going through what a lot of college students go through - changing majors is not unusual. He can always complete his 4 years at another time and his depression may be caused by the fact that he feels he has tossed 3 years away on something he does not want to do. He will figure it out and he may need a year off doing something incredibly stimulating to him. I've always felt that high school students for the most part are not ready to make life-altering changes and a few years between schools doing some fun things is best for those that are not quite mature enough. College will always be there.

Piper, how about talking to some of the other instructors who will be going to the new school - they may have thought of things you haven't. Go with your heart and gut feelings - if it doesn't feel right, it won't be.

Mikki - how cool that you are trying out another medium - I've never used oils, they've always scared me off. I want immediate gratification and pastels fit that bill. I've tried watercolor and acrylics with some success and may try them again some time, but using soft and oilies keeps me busy right now.

Everyone have a good week!

Deborah Secor
06-02-2005, 01:07 PM
I agree with Kat on this one, Tammy. I've seen so many kids who just needed some time, but felt pressured to finish school. Keep in mind that the credits your son has accrued won't go away, even if he moves to another school, changes his major, or takes time away. I never declared myself anything but an art major and it still took me 10 years to get the BA--ten years of off and on attending, going to different schools, etc. A few of my credits didn't transfer, but I either challenged classes, tested out, or took it again (with a better grade!) and that was all in the dark ages!! :eek: I must say that when I finally settled down and worked to finish my degree I put a lot more into learning than I did at 20...

Piper, your new opportunity sounds wonderful. Wow--Fridays off? A three day weekend to paint? Sounds like a really good possibility to me! Have you gotten to go to the new school to see whethr it's a fit? Boy, if it's essentially the same program you're teaching, and the opportunity to have an impact on tyroubled kids, it sounds like it could be really gratifying work to me. I suspect you'll know what to do when the time comes to decide. :wink2:

Can't wait to see Cori's pix! We want to see the town and your dress, girl!

Kate, your pix will be even more exciting. Aw--a new boy to love. How totally cool. (Can you tell I want to become a grandma? Not yet--my son is too young, but..........) Hope all goes well!!

Oaky-- I have students arriving here in two hours and my studio is a mess--not to mention dishes, dust, and a few other details. Gotta get to it!

Deborah

Artistammy
06-02-2005, 01:09 PM
We're thinking about the staying out of school some. He's changed his major twice before this.
Tammy

Kathryn Wilson
06-02-2005, 01:46 PM
Tammy, I am going on my experience with my youngest son - after six years of school and a degree in architecture, working at two architecture firms, he decided in the end it was not for him. I encouraged him to quit and do the thing that makes him the happiest, and he is!

Think of it this way - what sixteen year old really knows what they want - and that's when they have to decide where to go to school and what major to declare (although that can be put off). I wonder if too many kids are being pressured into school when they are not ready to be serious about study. I wish I had taken time to have fun and just be me before taking on "adult" life. Good luck with this Tammy.

Muffin_4377
06-02-2005, 03:59 PM
Hey ladies :wave:

Been awhile since I posted in the Scumble.....Been busy trying to do a spring cleaning/organization of the house.........and then I got this great little poem in my email today:

Dust if you must....... but wouldn't it be better
to paint a picture or write a letter,
bake cookies or a cake or plant a seed,
ponder the difference between want and need?

Dust if you must, but there's not much time,
with rivers to swim and mountains to climb,
music to hear and books to read,
friends to cherish and life to lead.

Dust if you must, but the world's out there
with the sun in your eyes, the wind in your hair,
a flutter of snow, a shower of rain.
This day will not come around, again.

Dust if you must, but bear in mind,
old age will come and it's not kind.
And when you go - and go you must -
you, yourself will make more dust!

I think I'm gonna print it out and put it near my cleaning supply closet and kitchen sink!!! :evil: .....and point hubby in that direction when he complains that he has no clean pants...... :D

I did manage to get out to the lake last weekend for some camping :cool: .....had a blast, so much that I'm going back this weekend with a girlfriend from out of town and her clan. I brought my plein aire backpack with me last weekend and never touch it. I didn't even unpack it once we got home, so at least it's all ready for this weekend. Hopefully I'll get something going this time....
Art-wise - I've been working on a self portrait in off and on for the last few weeks. I'll post a link to it when I get it posted in the Portraiture forum.

Have a good one folks! :D

khourianya
06-02-2005, 05:11 PM
Okay - finally have myself somewhat organized so I come bearing photos...

I think I will do this in a few threads, just to break it up a bit... These are of the awards ceremony.

This first one is me and my date, ed (one of my best friends, who i was staying with)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2005/47843-coried.jpg

And, here is my dress...sorry I didn't get in to post one of it before I left. That day wass insanely busy for me, trying to prepare everything before i left.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2005/47843-dress.jpg

And this last one is of the screen at the awards, when they were reading off my bio...just like being at the oscars, i tell ya.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2005/47843-cnmascreen.jpg

Most of the other photos I took at the event are kind of blurry, so I won't post them. The ceremony was just over an hour long and drinks at the reception were astronomically expensive ($7+). We didn't stay very late after the awards were over. Needless to say, I am happy that I flew out to attend, even if I didn't win. It was really something to be a part of the event.

khourianya
06-02-2005, 05:19 PM
ok- on to Toronto...

Because I'd been to the city before (many times - my grandparents live just north of there), I didn't feel the need to take a bunch of tacky tourist photos. I didn't go to alot of the touristy destinations, but i captured some unique places...

The bulk of my trip was spent in the downtown area of toronto. I was staying in the fashion district in a really funky loft my best friend bought last year. The day I flew in happened to be Doors Open Toronto, so many of the interesting buildings were open to the public for tours.

This is the Ontario College of Art and Design. It is such a neat idea for architectural design of an art college - the whole thing looks like it is supported by pencils and coloured chalks!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2005/47843-ocad.jpg

The one tourist place I did visit, on my last day, was Casa Loma - a big castle located just north of downtown.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2005/47843-casaloma.jpg

And in the garden, i did some sketching...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2005/47843-casalomagdn.jpg

khourianya
06-02-2005, 05:40 PM
The day after the awards, i went to st. Catharine's (about an hour south of Toronto). What a pretty town.

One of the many lighthouses there along the waterfront. I sat ans sketched there for about an hour!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2005/47843-stclight.jpg

Here is one of the sketches....it was dinnertime for the gulls...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2005/47843-stCsail.jpg

And then, on my way back to the bus station, I stumbled upon a virtual goldmine of a used bookshop called "A Novel Idea" I thought an hour would be long enough to toddle through it. i was wrong. In this 3 level shop, there are about a million and a half books (that's what the owner says and I believe him). I took pics of the upper level when I went up to use the ladie's room...but it is empty compared to the main level!

I walked out of there with a nice sized bag of art books...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2005/47843-anovelidea.jpg

khourianya
06-02-2005, 05:42 PM
oh - and who could forget my shopping sprees...by the end of it all, I had amassed almost a small suitcase full of supplies!!! Sketchbooks were so much cheaper there and I was able to find things I wasn't able to here...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2005/47843-shopping.jpg

and an itemized list...just for Sooz (since she begged for one over int he goals thread! :D)

* set of 39 general assortment Great american Artworks pastels
* 7 open stock GAs
* 1 jumbo sennelier in the yellow ochre colour I use so much...this one ought to take some time to wear out
* 6 full length Grumbacher softies
* 2 derwent softies
* 2 sets of Sakura Carre (such a good price): 1- 12 piece assortment and 1 - 24 piece pearlescent
* 4 coil bound hardcover sketchbooks (all in the 5 X 7 size range)
* Sketching kit - contained set of W&N half pan watercolours, sketchbook, water bottle, and case...etc (will be good for packing all sketching supplies in and heading out to sketch)
* 2 denim aprons - I only had one before, so tended not to paint if it was in the wash
* one really cool rubbber eraser that I just haven't had a chance to try out yet...

okay - and the Toronto Art Supply Shopping Guide...

Curry's (both the Queen and Yonge St. stores) - not as good as online. I still bought sketching stuff there. It was nice to see the easels in person so now i will have a better idea of exactly what to order in a month or two when I buy a floor easel for my new studio.

Aboveground Art Supplies (beside the art college) - Really neat store. Floor to ceiling in everything. Great selection of sennelier (both oil and soft) - including the jumbos.

Loomis Art Supplies - not a great selection, but great deals on a few things. thats where I got the sakuras. They were such good prices.

Gwartzman's (chinatown) - seriously considered buying a floor easel there, but it wouldn't go completely vertical...though at $25 I almost said who cares! Great assortment of paintboxes, though, at really, really cheap prices (and that reminds me...I meant to go back yesterday and pick one up. Darn. maybe Ed can send it to me)

Daniel's Art Supplies (Chinatown - about a block south of Gwartzman's) - empty. I was getting super disappointed at the dismal selection...and then I turned around and saw the grumbacher case. I had to chear away some tubes and such from in front before i could open it...but once inside, there was a treasure! Full stick grumbachers. ranging in price from $3.20 - $3.50. This place is really a hole in the wall, but in the end I was happy to have found it.

and then in St. Catharines...

Weber's Art Store - I love this place. it was my main reason for visiting St. Catharine's. They have the GA's in full open stock and sets. They will also have a website soon, but I can't remember the url.

And there, in a nutshell, was my trip. I spent alot of time walking. Even more time shopping. I now know downtown Toronto fairly well and have made friends with an art store owner in St. Catharines, who i plan to talk to frequently a I become more addicted to these GAs.

But it's good to be home. I can't wait to fall into my own bed tonight and sleep and sleep and sleep.

Deborah Secor
06-02-2005, 08:40 PM
Kewl trip, Cori! Thanks for showing all the photos! You looked FABulous, of course, and like you were having a lotta fun... basic black, dress it up, dress it down. Excellent. And she's on the BIG screen, folks--a star! :clap: I want to go to that bookstore!!!! Wah! Love places like that. :envy: (This smiley looks more angry-envious...I want it to be happy-envious!) Hoo whee--a star, shopping, sketching, some great materials...wow--seems like it was a great trip!!

Deborah

khourianya
06-02-2005, 08:48 PM
it really was a great trip. I would like to go back again, with cam next time, and explore even more through the wine country in Niagara and do more shopping in Toronto (but i will have to start saving now to be able to afford to :p)

I wish I could have gotten a picture of the main floor of that bookshop. it was incredible. The building looks like it may have been an old department store with an upstairs and a basement. When I first walked in, a big "uh oh - I haven't got enough time to do this" fashed across my brain. the main floor was, literally, floor to ceiling. There was only about 3ft standing room for aisles and the shelves went the length of the store. The books were laid flat on the shelves to maximize storage. and, what got me, was the fact that they were categorized and alphabetized by authour.

Oh - and the guy said he only started the store a year and a half ago and had questioned at the time if he could even fill one floor...let alone 3! If I get a chance to head back that way again - it is a definite "must stop" on my list. (Oh and he gave me a deal on my purchase, too, which was icing on the cake...without my even asking for it)

Piper Ballou
06-02-2005, 09:09 PM
Cori- I am so much enjoying looking at the pics you have, sounds like it was a wonderful time, and I am so happy for you. I would love to go to that book store. I love the lighthouse picture.
Piper

khourianya
06-02-2005, 09:23 PM
I love the lighthouse picture.

Having been landlocked my entire life...I have a facination with lighthouses and coastal scenes. Last year, in Nova Scotia, i took close to 700 photos!!! :eek: There was another one somewhere around there that was really cool. I kept seeing prints of it for sale in the gift shops, but no details on how to find it. Maybe next trip. I was on foot the entire day so if it was really far, I probably wouldn't have been able to go see it in person.

Oh - I forgot the funniest part of my return trip. The xray machine! I am so used to being stopped at the xray because I forgot to pack nail scissors or something in my checked baggage. Yesterday I took the time to carefully pack my restricted items in what would be checked...and I put my new purchases in my carry-on so they wouldn't get smashed to bits if my bags were manhandled (on my way there, my bag must have been handled pretty roughly because when i picked my bag up off the carousel, the lock broke into a million pieces...)

Anyway - I put my bags on the belt to go through the machine...and nothing is said right away so i figure i amin the clear. then a security person comes over, grabs my wheeled carry on and starts dabbing it over with what I can only assume is how they test baggage for drugs or explosives. She puts it in the tester machine and gets a quizzical look on her face. She said the machine was picking up bars of some unidentifiable substance, but the tests weren't coming back as dangerous. A light went on in my weary head and I say - I know exactly what it is and open my suitcase. I pull out the largest box of pastels and explain to her that I am an artists and i purchases some new pastels while on vacation and have them in my carryon because they are incredibly fragile.

She looked at the coloured sticks and asked what they were and I let her touch them to see. She then wanted me to show her all of the boxes and she just marvelled over the colours..then she said to me "If you happen to have a painting that would look good in my living room...give me a call and i will come pick it up!" it was too cute!

Khadres
06-02-2005, 10:30 PM
Sounds like you really had a blast, Cori! Nice dress, too! So you like the GAs, eh? Imagine that...there's no place in this entire state that I know of where one can actually see Great Americans sets, much less open stock and there you are in CANADA able to drool over the whole shebang!

khourianya
06-02-2005, 10:42 PM
really? Well, maybe it is a mountain time zone thing...I had to fly clear across the country (and this country is HUGE!) to see and drool. As soon as I ran my finger across one, I wanted the full monty :rolleyes: I did get a colour chart, though...and John, the owner of the store, said I could just email orders to him and he will gladly ship to me. happy happy happy! :D

Oh - he also said he can get new orders witin 3 days of placing them with GA. Makes it really tempting to have him order in the cityscapes set I want....

K Taylor-Green
06-03-2005, 06:42 PM
Wow Cori, what a trip!! With your skin and hair, black was made for you. Very pretty.
I'm afraid I'd have to spend the day in that bookstore! :eek:

Ok, I'm a grandma............ again. Owen Christopher Gorecki made his appearance about 8:30 this morning via C-section, weighing in at 7lbs and 8ozs. He is 19 1/4 inches long, lots of black hair, and a nicely rounded head!
This grandma is very happy!

:eek: The thumbnails look wierd, but look normal when you open them. Whew, I bout had a heart attack!!!

Kathryn Wilson
06-03-2005, 07:18 PM
Congratulations Grandma Kate! He's adorable and mama looks very happy.

Cori, your trip, your award and your dress were all spectacular! Thanks for sharing the photos with us - we all love living vicariously. :)

khourianya
06-03-2005, 07:38 PM
Contrats Gramma Kate! He is sucha lil sweetheart! Cherish him - because he is going to grow up so fast (as you likely already know)...

Jo Castillo
06-04-2005, 01:59 AM
Congratulations to Grandma Kate. :) and to Cori on a great trip and your success, it all looks great.
Jo

Mikki Petersen
06-04-2005, 02:22 AM
Oh Kate! A HUGE congratulations to you and your daughter and a warm welcome to little Owen. C-Section seems a lot gentler on mother and baby than the routine way it's done. Your daughter looks beautiful and her hair is so beautifully shiny. Baby Owen is gorgeous and has none of the temporary post-partum deformity from the birth canal. Hugs and kisses to all!

Cori, you looked lovely for your big event! And the screen image was quite impressive too. You will love the GA's. I believe they are softer and more buttery than Schminkes and the colors are so wildly vibrant they will match your style quite well. I was not able to upload the whole picture of the Institute but the top half gives one the impression it's quite an eye catcher. We used to have a bookshop like that in downtown Sacramento...absolutely crammed on several floors with every kind of book you could imagine. Everyone knew if you needed an out of print title, Beers' was the place to go. Then the fire marshall closed them down. The store is still there but it now is very orderly and does not have nearly the charm or the selection. Ah, for the good old days...I could totally feel your enthusiasm through your posts and I'm so happy for you that you had such a nice trip.

Went to Lowe's tonight to pick up some more paint (we are painting all the woodwork) and found this wonderful tool chest that Hubby insisted on getting for me.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2005/14550-Paint_Chest.JPG
It's 23"Wx17"Hx13"D. It will hold all my non-pastel painting supplies. The small drawers are perfect for watercolor tubes and small tubes of oil paint. The bigger drawers are perfect for those fat acrylic tubes and the top is a great place for mediums and brushes, etc. and even has a mirror in the lid to freshen up...go figure. All the compartments are felt lined. All this and it was only $59.00! It would probably be a good chest for studio storage of pastels also, but I have my Roz box and my ladder stand for those.

Happy painting!
Mikki

Khadres
06-04-2005, 04:50 AM
Congratulations, Grama! I must say, both the baby and the mother look a whole lot less stressed and strained than those of us who endured the long haul labor route! Please make sure she takes the time she needs to heal well! My daughter pushed too soon and has paid for it big time in adhesions, etc. He looks like a lovely little lad!

meowmeow
06-04-2005, 12:11 PM
Just running through here quickly to make sure everyone is okay. It's been a busy week and have not had time to poke my head into WC at all! My mother had the carotid surgery and did have a mild stroke. She seems to be doing okay though. She is still in the hospital but improving. NO serious effects left but she is very weak. She is supposed to go to rehab from there but the place they wanted her to go of course has no beds. They'll figure it out but of course by father is stressed. I am 1 1/2 hours away which is hard. We went down on Thursday and spent time with her and had lunch with him. Anyhow, hopefully it will all settle down. Then again, I have no illusions because of her age, so we'll see.

COngrats Kate on more grandmotherhood!

Looks like you had a good trip, Cori...nice photos. And congrats on the award you did get!

Piper, it all sounds exciting and a hard choice but I'm sure you'll figure it out. At least it is a nice problem!

Tammy, you are getting good advice here. I know when our kids are not happy and doing what we thought they would be it seems like a real crisis, but in the scheme of things this is sort of a rite of passage. At least he knows there is a problem and is working on it. Hugs for all of you!

Congrats on your son's graduation, Deborah.

Okay...I know I am leaving stuff out...sorry...it's just busy around here and I am a bit discombobulated. I'll try to check in more next week. You all have a good weekend!

Sandy

K Taylor-Green
06-04-2005, 01:23 PM
Many thanks to all for the congrats and good wishes. You would thinnk that a new grandbaby around here would be "old hat", but each one is special, and this one is Megan's first, so a big deal. She was pretty upset when told she would have to have the C-section, all eager to have everything natural. So yesterday, in the recovery room, she looks down at her feet, which she was wiggling, and commented that the meds must be wearing off, she could wiggle her legs and feet, then said, "I hope I don't feel anything", worried that the incision was going to be painful. This from the girl who wanted to go thru labor!!! She just hasn't a clue.
Oh well, everyone is fine, she is learning to nurse, calls it hit or miss at this point.

Sandy, Hope your mom does well with the rehab, though it sounds as though your dad is the bigger worry! Poor man, worried to death and no way to help. I think being out of control, someone else in the driver's seat as it were, makes the elderly more stressed. I don't want to sound sexest, but maybe it is harder on guys. Especially those used to running things.

Mikki, I may have to make a trip to my local Lowes. What a cabinett!! I can think of tons of uses for it.

Mikki Petersen
06-04-2005, 02:10 PM
Kate one of my daughters had really easy labors (if there is such a thing) with all three deliveries...easy meaning less than six hours and very little pain due to one of those pain blocking drips. She complains more about the agonies of childbirth than any of the rest of us who had long induced labors. Pain is a relative thing! Glad to hear she and Owen are doing so well. Nursing is a learned skill...she'll be fine if she relaxes.

Sandy, I'm so sorry to hear of your parents' troubles. As we are all learning, getting old is not an easy thing for any of us. In some ways I feel worse for your Dad! It's hard to be the one standing by and feeling helpless to make things better. I'll be keeping them in my thoughts and prayers.

Yes, Kate, I thought this box would make a wonderful jewelry box...or a collection box...or all sorts of things besides ugly tools!

Mikki

Deborah Secor
06-04-2005, 02:16 PM
Aw Kate--he's absolutely beautiful--as is your daughter. :D What an incredible blessing. I had to laugh at your story becuase I wanted to do it all the 'old fashioned' way, too. In fact, I wanted to give birth in my brass bed at home but they don't do C-sections there, so..... New life is never old hat, I say, so celebrate this little guy!!!

Sandy, I hope you mom improves quickly and I feel for your dad, too. Growing older is very challenging physically, but I think it's almost harder to have a spouse whose health is declining. I've heard the gals at the apartments where my mom lives saying they felt guilty, responsible and helpless all at the same time when their husbands were ill. Oh, and here's a (((hug))) for you, too--I can relate to being an hour or so away! Sometimes you just feel like you should hop in the car at the sound of a voice, but what can you really do? Hang in there!

Mikki, that tool chest looks just great! Good price, too. I could use it as furniture--it looks nicer than about 90% of what I have in the living room!! :wink2:

We had to solve another of those last minute problems yesterday. My son came from a team meeting to announce they will not be able to carry on their guitars, they have to check them as baggage! Okay, so the guitar he has isn't world-class but he loves it and uses it every day, so we were cringing at the thought of the gorillas at all the airports tossing it around. So...I went online to do research, while he ran all over town looking for a better case than the one he has, and in the end we had to order one from San Diego, shipped overnight (which was almost as expensive as the case itself!) It should be here on Monday, God willing, and is a flight case made to go over his hard case. We hadn't gotten him a graduation gift, so this is it! I figure he'll use it repeatedly, and if not someone else will benefit. However, the stress and strain of making such decisions was tremendous. Did I mention he's come down with a sniffly nose, a dry little cough and slept all day yesterday? We think it's allergies (hope, hope, hope) because I sure wouldn't want to get on an airplane for half a day with congestion!

What is it about this intense parenting thing that happens as they start to leave the nest? Wouldn't it make more sense if they just slipped over the edge of the nest and took wing? Instead it feels like a major production number! :eek:

Deborah

angecald
06-04-2005, 11:53 PM
Lots of intense living going on here today. Birth, leaving home, dealing with the last years of life which end, I guess. with another birth, or another leaving home, or going home, depending on how you look at it.

Sandy, I'll be keeping good thoughts for your mother and father.

Congratulations on your new grandson, Kate. He looks precious and your daughter looks like a Queen. I think she probably sees childbirth pain as temporary while the c-section pain will be ongoing, but people recover very rapidly nowadays, with the tiny incision and the great new anaesthetics. I'm waiting for the day they start doing births laproscopically. :D

Cori, I loved seeing all your purchases and photos. That is a very chic black dress, exactly right for so many occasions. I'm so glad you went to Toronto and enjoyed the whole experience, because you really deserve it just for getting nominated. That presentation with your picture looked so impressive.

Mikki, if I lived with that toolbox I would feel I had to salute it morning and night! Maybe you should kick it around a little bit, leave a few scars, show it who's boss. :evil:

I dropped my pictures off at the gallery today for the show that starts next week. I was so busy getting ready, I didn't notice everybody and his dog is having a garage sale today. We passed dozens on the road, and I had no time and no cash. :crying: However, it was a beautiful day, so I consoled myself with popsickles. :)

Mikki Petersen
06-05-2005, 12:12 AM
I am devastated, heartbroken, struck dumb...Hunny, our 9 month old Golden Retriever is missing and we believe she has been stolen. She never wanders out of sight of the house. we've scoured the neighborhood and I'm hoarse from calling her...I can't bear this...

Mikki

khourianya
06-05-2005, 12:18 AM
OMIGOSH - ((((((Mikki)))))) I am so sad to hear this! I hope she turns up soon. How horrible to have to think that someone may have taken her. I know that I would be devastated if the same thing happened with Abner! I will be sending good thoughts your way in the hopes of a quick and joyful reunion!

Kathryn Wilson
06-05-2005, 12:36 AM
Oh, my, Mikki! I hope by this time you have found her, but if not, call all the vets in the area and the local SPCA. My thoughts and prayers are with you in your search - I was just thinking tonight what would happen when our dog leaves us - it will be very lonely. :(

K Taylor-Green
06-05-2005, 12:45 AM
Oh Mikki, no! How awful!((((((((((Big Hug)))))))))) Hopefully, she just went beyond her usual temptation. If not, Kat is right in her suggestions, and fliers with her picture might help turn her up. My heart goes out to you and John.

Deborah Secor
06-05-2005, 01:01 AM
I'm praying for you and John, Mikki--that Hunny is safe and safely home SOON! There is nothing too much worse than having a sweet pet missing. Will keep you in mind, promise.

Deborah

bnoonan
06-05-2005, 01:14 AM
Oh Mikki - I haven't signed on in weeks and yet I just read your posting just this minute. I hope she shows up soon- Oh my heart goes out to you!!!

Barb

Mikki Petersen
06-05-2005, 01:16 AM
Thank you all! John and I are just moping around bumping into each other. Feels like we lost a child! I've made flyers and first thing tomorrow we will begin calling local vets and animal Control. Sunday though... Can't believe how devastating this is...

Mikki

Deborah Secor
06-05-2005, 01:16 AM
Mikki, we cross posted. Hang in there... She could be at your door in minutes!!!

Hi Barb--how're you doing? Good to see your smiling...swan. <watery grin>

Deborah

bnoonan
06-05-2005, 01:22 AM
I'm sure the posters will help!! Don't despair -that cutey pie will show up with a smile I'm sure!

Deborah I'm doing ok.... My Open Studios went well enough - wish the sales were better but then again that's what always happens I guess. I've also been away for the Memorial Day Weekend and came home only to find my computer had completely died. I'm still trying to figure out everything I've lost and haven't been in the dust for weeks now - except for classes.

Did hang a show at the local coffee shop and heard through the workers that customers like what they are seeing... So I guess that's something.

Well - off to check on whatelse I need to recover from my disks but truthfully not enough was backed up. Oh this is such a challenge in patience.

Hope all the rest of you are well - to be perfectly honest I haven't even read the rest of the scumble - just went right to the last page and read Mikki's post. I'll have to catch up at some point.

Dee - hope you are painting a lot! How did your smaller pieces go over at the gallery? I think that's the last thing I remember reading about.
Barb

Deborah Secor
06-05-2005, 01:27 AM
Barb, the small ones haven't sold but happily one of the new bigger ones did! Even better. I actually am painting a lot. Lots of location work. We went to the river--did we paint there? Near Corrales. Heading to a scenic home near here next week and hoping the gnats aren't bad. Remember that? <shudder>

Oh man, I hate it when I lose data in a crash, and every time I hear of someone going through it I figure I better back things up again. I know I'd lose some really precious photos if that happened. I suspect they'd be my greatest loss. Guess it's a good reminder for me. So sorry it happened to you! Argh!!

BTW, I need to get some more cards from you. Are they on your web site? Can I pick and choose?

Deborah

bnoonan
06-05-2005, 01:33 AM
Hi Deborah,
While waiting for your reply I went to see what you had posted and I see you are working in various sizes.... And WOW Watermelon Mtn. is fabulous - I am making these gasps about the color and quality of your work and David is wondering what I'm looking at - you really are talented!!!

Congrats. on the sale and I can't recall if we painted at the river. I remember the Boscque (?sp) with Maggie - but that's the only water I recall seeing there. Your water and rocks are just out of this world!!!

Do your back up as soon as we finish - it's advice from the person on the other side of the computer who is missing hers...

As for cards... I'd love to sell some - but I don't have them on the web site yet. I can snail mail you a sheet of images if you want and let you select from them? It will be hard copy since I'm afraid of putting too much over the internet for fear it will be taken.

Barb

bnoonan
06-05-2005, 01:37 AM
Deborah - it may have to be a few days before i can get this in the mail to you... unfortunately I just realized I don't have Photoshop at the moment and it's just one more hiccup for this process.

B

Deborah Secor
06-05-2005, 01:45 AM
Oh well, let it slide for now, Barb. Chris is about to leave to go to Macedonia and right now my brain is very distracted... Let's e-mail more on this--the others are likely to be bored stupid by now! (Sorry, gang.)

The bosque was near there, but we were only on the clear ditch. Maggie is starting the process of writing her book and it sounds like I get to contribute a lot. She is such a good friend! It will be nice to be back in touch. She's traveled a great deal lately.

Oh, and I finally heard that the cover image for the new Best of Pastel book will be one by Fred Somers (not me...) but I can't help but be pleased. He is one of the nicest men I ever met, and I LOVE his work! He and his wife Avis are just total sweethearts, and I can't think of anyone who deserves it more. It was nice to be in the running at all.

Deborah

meowmeow
06-05-2005, 08:40 AM
((Mikki)) I am so sorry...I hope she turns up. I'll be thinking of you!

And boy are you right, Agnes...lots of intense living...beginning and end of life. Good way to put it!

Sandy

Khadres
06-05-2005, 11:13 AM
Awwww, Mikki!!! I do hope Hunny's okay! Have you put posters around and so on? Maybe she just got adventurous and wandered too far? I hope she finds her way home SOON! John must be frantic too, poor guy! There's nothing more frightening than a missing pet or child! HUGSSSSSSSS and Good luck!!!

angecald
06-05-2005, 03:29 PM
Oh, Mikki, I'm so sorry about Hunny. Even though she doesn't usually wander, she may have been enticed away by a rabbit or another dog. Once I found a beautiful Golden Retriever wandering loose right here in the village. Several people were watching her and worrying that she would be hit by a car. We took her over to the public library, where we could use the phone, and called everybody we knew who had a Golden, but none were missing. Finally, I got a leash and brought her home with me. She was perfectly happy to come with me - you know Goldens. We put posters up and called the humane society and the vets, but the dog stayed with us for two nights. Then, my daughter and I took her out for a walk on the leash, and we ran into her family who were out looking for her. So don't despair. She might not have been stolen, but just taken into custody for her own protection. I sure hope so.

Artistammy
06-05-2005, 10:21 PM
Mikki, {{{{hugs}}}}} I'll be praying extra hard for you & Hunny. You just got her ....it would be awful to lose her so soon. We just went thru a scare about ours being sick a couple of wks ago.
Dee, I know what you mean about kids. It does seem like they can need a heap of parenting still even at 20. Travis has been thinking about computers for a career again & has a friend who says he may be able to get him a job doing tech support for NTS. That would be great experience. He seems to be happier & getting into more social things again. PTL! We're all happier.
Tammy

Mikki Petersen
06-06-2005, 12:51 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: Hunny is home! :clap: :clap: :clap:

John spent all morning going door to door handing out flyers and then he blanketed the area with posters on every sign and telephone pole. Late this afternoon, we got the call that she was up the road having a "sleep over" with three kids and three dogs. John was out back painting a door when the call came. He was so excited, He dropped the paint brush and the telephone without hanging up and ran for the truck! I have been very sad but he has been just paralyzed with grieving. So all is good in the world of the Petersens again. Thank you all for your prayers and thoughts. I know they are what brought her back to us.

Happy Painting and God Bless you all!
Mikki

Deborah Secor
06-06-2005, 12:59 AM
Whoo Hooo!!!!!

Whew!!!.....I really have been worried and I was just praying I would find these words. Prayers are answered!!! LOL :D :D :D Of course, a sleepover. With kids and dogs. Yep--that's a golden for ya! :rolleyes:

Deborah

Mikki Petersen
06-06-2005, 01:19 AM
Thank you Deborah for your prayers and for your good wishes. Yes, now we have the dilemma of how to keep her here at home when she knows all those playmates are down the road. We are thinking we may have to go looking for pal for her...

Mikki

angecald
06-06-2005, 01:32 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: Hooray for Hunny!!! So glad to hear the good news.

Mikki Petersen
06-06-2005, 01:36 AM
Thanks Agnes!

All is right with the world. Here's where Hunny is right now...all the excitment sure wore her out.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2005/14550-tuckered_out_6-05_2.JPG

Mikki

Deborah Secor
06-06-2005, 01:46 AM
Ahhhhh, all's right with the world, indeed!

Deborah

khourianya
06-06-2005, 01:49 AM
Omigosh - when did Hunny grow up? It seems like only yesterday that you brought her home.

I'm so happy that this story has a happy ending...and before the end of the weekend. That means we can start the new scumble tomorrow on a happy note :) :clap: :clap: :clap:

My parents came down to pick up my sofa and loveseat that they found a buyer for. It is so nice to have that beast of a set out of the house. However, we are feeling like college boys living off lawnchairs. This is the first time in my life i haven't had real living room furniture. even when I first moved away, I had spent a whole summer scouring auctions with my dad to set up an entire household. It is weird. Oh well. cam and i are looking for another set and I ended up getting $150 more than I was asking so we are a good ways towards getting a new sofa for after we move. (2.5 more weeks!)

K Taylor-Green
06-06-2005, 01:54 AM
Hurray! Hurray! Sooooooo glad Hunny is home. The relief must make you feel giddy.
She sure looks happy on Dad's lap. Do you think he will ever put her down?

Mikki Petersen
06-06-2005, 03:59 AM
Cori, Hunny is 9 months old and weighs 68 lbs (have no idea how many kilos that is). We hope she is about done growing. We got her at the end of November last year.

Kate, she and John both think that chair is theirs. They compromise by sharing it. Funny thing, John sat on the sofa last night because he couldn't bear sitting in his chair without his lap warmer. As for Hunny, she believes it to be her rightful place...has no idea how big she is.

Deborah, thanks for understanding.

Oh and Cori, the great thing about buying new furniture before moving into a new house is it's something you don't have to move. Have fun shopping...and moving...?

Mikki

meowmeow
06-06-2005, 08:23 AM
I am so relieved...I was hoping and hoping but really worried. Great picture!

Sandy

Kathryn Wilson
06-06-2005, 09:34 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: Hurray! A happy ending - she looks pooped out and hubby looks happy as a clam. :D

bnoonan
06-06-2005, 12:26 PM
LOL - what a pair they are! congratulations on the good news - made my day!

Barb

khourianya
06-06-2005, 12:39 PM
Cori, Hunny is 9 months old and weighs 68 lbs (have no idea how many kilos that is)

Me neither :D I still convert most things to pounds. Except my drivers license...I'm afraid that according to that, I am still the same weight I was at 16! :evil:

I can understand about the hoping she's done growing. Abner is almost 7 months old and a solid 50lbs. We are trying to break him of using the weight against us.

Khadres
06-06-2005, 12:41 PM
WONDERFUL!!! I kept thinking about Hunny being missing last night I had to keep reaching over and scritching mine to make sure they were safe and sound! Did you give her a good talking to about scaring her "parents" half to death??? She's had a good time, you can tell by the look of utter exhaustion, but boy, does John look happy to have her back!! I know you guys were just sick with the thought of her being lost! HUGGGS and a PAT for Hunny!!

Artistammy
06-06-2005, 03:40 PM
Mikki, I'm so happy for you!! :clap: :clap: Do you have a yard for Hunny?
Tammy

Mikki Petersen
06-06-2005, 06:26 PM
Hunny has 3 acres of yard but no fences. There is a dog run on the property but the one time we put her in it she cried herself sick.

Mikki

Artistammy
06-06-2005, 10:26 PM
Mikki, my Uncle got an electric fence thing when his dog wouldn't stay home. You can put them around as big an area as you want. I would hate for you to lose her....she might get into trouble next time.
I did sell the snowy church painting at the show. Yeah!
Tammy

Mikki Petersen
06-07-2005, 02:54 AM
Congratulations Tammy! I really liked that painting and can understand why it sold. Good for you!

Mikki

Piper Ballou
06-07-2005, 02:58 AM
Mikki-I am so happy that you found Hunny.

Tammy- Sounds like you had an excellent experience at the show, congratulations on the sale of your painting.
Piper

Jo Castillo
06-09-2005, 12:45 AM
Hi all,

Mikki, glad you found Hunny.

Tammy, congratulations on your show and sale!

It has been good to wind down with reading wetcanvas at midnight. I have been so busy with the show and UT Baseball. Have been reading but no time to post. These pictures are the show, Pastel Pair. Pink tags are my paintings and blue/green are Regina's. The painting in the window, unframed, we did together plein air at McKinney Falls near Austin. It was soooo hot, we worked on site about an hour then went to Regina's and finished there. We were to demo every Saturday in June, but the Longhorns Regional was in Austin last weekend and are in the Super Regional tournament in Oxford, Miss., this weekend and we "have" to go. :) Regina will paint alone. :( No sales yet. Hmmm.

The pics are the two walls inside, the window and me .. pretty sad looking but enjoying the day. Will write again when we get home Monday or Tuesday. Hook 'em Horns!

Jo

Artistammy
06-09-2005, 10:28 AM
Jo, nice looking show. I really like the painting you were working on in the last picture.
Tammy

meowmeow
06-10-2005, 10:06 AM
Jo, the exhibit looks wonderful. I know how stressful this all can be. And keep in mind that even if you don't sell you are getting exposure and sometimes people contact you later. Just keep plugging away! Good luck!

Sandy

Khadres
06-10-2005, 10:10 AM
Great looking show, Jo! But...ummmm....have any of you last gals here noticed this is LAST week's Scumble??? :D

Please DO post about the show agiain in the new week? I know everyone will want to know about it! The work you displayed certainly looked great...sometimes sales are scarce, but the exposure is still good!

meowmeow
06-10-2005, 10:22 AM
doh! Sorry! :lol

Khadres
06-10-2005, 10:35 AM
Heehee! Was wondering if anyone was ever gonna notice! Was just afraid we'd keep on in here forever and ever and ever! Time flies when you're having fun, I think! :)