PDA

View Full Version : Painting Fast Like Bougie

Mikey
05-30-2005, 08:34 AM
I've read that WB took a mere 8 days to paint his big canvases. He must have had some energy. So what would happen if I painted a Bougie fast and let rip? I did the basic drawing with Burnt Sienna, getting the eyes mouth and bits of modelling fairly accurate and gave it a few days. This morning I just felt myself in that kind of mood and went to it faster maybe than I ever did with acrylics. With the initial drawing done this would have taken me say twenty minutes. I didn't have much time to worry much about mixing as you can see. This is alla prima so far. Bougies original doesn't have correct skin colours as far as I can see. It was one of his fabulous sketches.

Oils on 16 x 20 inch gallery canvas.

It looks to me as if I paint better fast than slow and considered. Your opinions please.

Mikey

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2005/28043-fast_bougiie.jpg

dcorc
05-30-2005, 09:31 AM
This is certainly very good Mikey !

- the impression I've got at this point of WBs method is as you say, a groundplan drawing in a thinned brown; followed by an opaque alla prima painting ; and last, on fleshtones or elsewhere when needed, thin scumbles to soften transitions, and any other corrections. As he used siccatives, 8 days would give him 3 or possibly even 4 passes at each area in the painting - he seems to have worked on figures ahead of backgrounds - but the backgrounds are often much more broadly and impressionistically painted.

Dave

Mikey
05-30-2005, 01:23 PM
Hi Dave,

I finally got to see Charity at Birmingham. It was a surprise close up to see the care he'd taken with the flesh and those hands oh my, but he was a master of the loose brush. The stone was of course superb, but mostly suggested texture except for the white column where the paint seemed to have its own quality. I was indeed surprised to see a distant building which was was more or less a line drawing. Looking eyes on at the flesh I had to wonder just how accurate the ARC files are for colour. They may well be too cold or green in hue.

I've done this one with another medium to my usual rectified turps with later linseed. I also have cobalt siccative which I have used at at other times It mixes with the medium pretty well, although I don't know about the archival aspect. I didn't use it here.

Mikey

laketrees
05-31-2005, 07:54 AM
I agree Mikey....the fast painting works for you....very confident rendering....makes me wonder whether we get to bogged down in the details and therefore lose sight of the big picture....haha
will keep this in mind when painting my mural over the next few weeks...
cheers kim

Mikey
05-31-2005, 05:24 PM
Hi Kim, yes I think we do get bogged down. I was taking this one fron the screen and the colours on it are very difficult to reproduce. EG, When the skin appears to be quite green the colour picker tells me it is orange with a touch of black. I've found it help to step back and see the screen from more of a distance, just getting in close for details and trying not to zoom in.

BTW this is with my new medium to an old recipe.

Mikey

Mikey
06-11-2005, 11:49 AM
Now I'm painting slow and waiting for some half decent brushes to come in the post next week.

Sorry I just couldn't get the colour right.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2005/28043-unfinished_2_c.jpg

marsva
06-11-2005, 12:22 PM
Sorry I just couldn't get the colour right.
What you mean??? I think the colour looks great. Nice painting! I took a really wonderful three day watercolor workshop and now I am paying for it...I have to catch up on everything around here. I will be glad when I have time to spend in the studio painting...I get grouchy when I can't find the time!!

Mikey
06-11-2005, 04:06 PM
Thanks Marsha. Whatever happens this is a good exercise towards improvement. I meant I couldn't get the file colour correction right. This is flash unretouched.

Mikey

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2005/28043-unfinished_3.jpg

Brush-in-my-hand
06-11-2005, 07:09 PM
Hey Mikey... I FOUND it! Hey, great balls of fire!
I love it, and I think you may be right about the fast painting!
Hmmm...

Cia

Mikey
06-12-2005, 04:30 AM
It's great to see you here Cia. Many thanks. You might like to check out my progress on Coming to the party lower on this page. You haven't seen that one at all.

Mikey

laketrees
06-12-2005, 05:06 AM
Hi Mikey....you have done a wonderful job with the skin tones....really like the translucency you are getting...placement of features is spot on.... :clap: ...wonderful expression in the eyes....
cheers kim

Mikey
06-12-2005, 05:30 AM
Thanks Kim, those eyes were not easy to paint. You'll notice I've pulled her left of face in a bit and adjusted the eyes slightly.

Mikey

laketrees
06-12-2005, 05:46 AM
Yes...I see the adjustment....I find the outer area of the face ...especially between the eye and the ear so difficult to shape and you have done it so well Mikey....looking at this makes want to get the oils out again asap.....
cheers kim

Mikey
06-12-2005, 05:56 AM
Kim, the problem I'm having is getting the flesh colours right from the screen. It seems far too luminous to me. The Damar resin and Beeswax medium is working well in the flesh here I think. If I were to mix in a siccative then it might dry quicker, although not quite like acrylics. I'm not sure about using it for the top layers yet, bearing in mind the fat over lean principle. I'll have to ask Robersons who make both.

Mikey

laketrees
06-12-2005, 06:11 AM
Hi Mikey...I like the luminous quality and I think the combination that you are using is obviously working really well!!!!
cheers kim

Mikey
06-12-2005, 08:49 AM
Thanks Kim, I'm going to post thid as finished any tme now. I'll put a bit of charge in the camera batteries first.

Mikey