PDA

View Full Version : Abstract (green tomato?)

FriendCarol
05-28-2005, 03:40 PM
Turned over a quarter-sheet of 200# Curry's w/c paper (CP), and used the other side. This paper has very different felt/wire sides; liked the smoothness of this. So, it's about 11"x15" and I had to PhotoShop the scans to stitch them together. Also tried to make it better reflect the original, messing about with various controls (adjusting levels, brightness, etc.), and despeckling (that seems to help with the way the scanner 'reads' the roughness of the paper!).

On Monday evening I started this meaning to explore green tomato colors (from a w/c thread); I chose W/N New Gamboge, Winsor green BS, and (to neutralize the green, of course) quinacridone red. Well, then a funny thing happened: WC! went down. For 3 days. I kept trying to get another look at the original ref pic, but also kept adding abstract things (intentional folds!!!). So, you can dimly see the very beginnings of a huge green tomato (and a huge red one to its right!) in the center. :D

I really don't know if this is done. In some ways, I'd like to put in that green tomato. In other ways, well, tell me what you think!

Oh, I didn't want to take up a thread in Ab/Con, given all the new pent-up real art that has yet to be posted there! And I checked out the Open Critique forum and the level of critiqueing was insufficient to my needs. Could have tried the w/c Gallery again, but that moves pretty quickly, too. So I decided to post here again, where threads at least move more slowly. :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2005/36783-abtomato5a.JPG

and a couple details:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2005/36783-ab-tom-l6.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2005/36783-ab-tom-r6.jpg

MountainSong
05-28-2005, 04:58 PM
Aloha Carol, :) to start with your work IS very Real and further more very nice.
This is such a lovely and gentle piece, flowing, inviting and somewhat ethereal.

In regards to it being done or not – it actually feels fairly cooked to me. I like that open space where you are thinking about putting tomatoes in – that’s the area that invites me in to explore it. I tried to visualize tomatoes there but my mind didn’t like them in that space. But some kind of adjustment is called for if you’re to leave that space open.

Perhaps lightening/removing some of the orange/pink “hill looking’ area over the ‘tomato’ area might do the trick. I’m thinking just lightening it so the whole picture leads into the mist right there – it would make it a very imaginative/ethereal piece allowing our thoughts to wander into that area making stories as we so desired. As it is now that tendril kind of encases and closes the misty area and makes it not quite as inviting perhaps.
The foreground and mid-ground imagery is strong and detailed so a fading out of the background would be easily supported in this piece. You also have great lines and dimensions which lead us to that misty part of the painting which hints at so much without giving it away.
Nice work Carol! :)

bjs0704
05-28-2005, 07:18 PM
Great job! I like the positive/negitive space in this painting! I agree the overall mood is very positive and peaceful!

Barb Solomon :cat:

scorpio32
05-28-2005, 09:10 PM
Carol-this has a landscape feel to it.....the only thing that makes it feel that way is the tree though.without it ,it is just a lovely abstract...that tree MAKES this piece......kinda surrealistic ain't it? I agree with song bout removing that 'orange'.....I would also take out that hard edge line going up to the right (from the tree) ...make it softer or add another lighter value behind it to kinda break it up.....

you have very distinctive work Carol.....Tomatoes?? NO WAY....they would ruin this work :D

dave

LisaArt
05-29-2005, 04:55 AM
I also like the way it is. The shapes and colour are very pleasing and flow beautifully. I initially thought something in the middle too was lacking, but the more I look the more I like. Given the title, you I am seeing a tomatoe shape in the middle emerge. Great work...

FriendCarol
05-31-2005, 05:19 PM
Thanks to Lisa, Song, Scorpio, Barb, and (by PM) Dave, for commenting! I do appreciate your taking the time to suggest how to improve this piece, and hope I learned something for the next piece.

The 'wrong' side turns out to be harder to scrub out, but I upgraded as best I could. I posted the final in the Ab/Con forum. On to the next. :D