PDA

View Full Version : Bmburt Still Life Wip

BMBURT
05-27-2005, 08:24 PM
HELLO ALL, SORRY IT HAS TAKEN ME SO LONG TO RESPOND TO SOME OF YOUR SUGGESTIONS. HERE IS A SMALL PIECE THAT I JUST FINISHED TITLED "DISTINGUISHED DANDELIONS". IT MEASURES 6" X 9" AND WAS DONE ON WALLIS SANDED PAPER MOUNTED ON ACID FREE FOAM CORE. THE PASTELS USED VARY FROM SOFT AT THE BEGINING (UNISON/SCHMINCKE/SENNELIER), TO MEDIUMS (REMBRANDT), AND FINISHING WITH HARDER PASTELS (NUPASTELS/VARIOUS PASTEL PENCILS).
I AM GOING TO UPLOAD 6 PHOTOS SO YOU CAN SEE AN ABBREVIATED PROCESS OF HOW I WORK, NOTE: THAT I WOULD NOT SAY THAT THESE STEPS ARE STEDFAST BUT ARE ALWAYS CHANGING ON WHAT PATICULAR TECHNIQUES LEND THEMSELVES BETTER TO THE DIFFERENT SUBJECTS THAT ARE TO BE PAINTED.

1. BEGINING SKETCH. . . .ROUGH OUTLINES WITH VERY LITTLE DETAILS, JUST TO GET THE COMPOSITION, AND COMPARITIVE SHAPES DOWN. i DON'T DO HIGHLY DETAILED DRAWINGS BECAUSE IT WOULD SIMLPE GET COVERED UP WITH THE SCUMBLING AND ROUGH NATURE AT WHICH I LAY THE PASTEL DOWN WITH AT THE BEGINING.

2. TRYING TO FIND COLOR NOTES THAT ARE ACCURATE TO WHAT I AM SEEING. I KNEW A GREAT STILL LIFE PAINTER IN WISCONSIN WHO TOLD ME ALOT OF WHAT HE HAD LEARNED ABOUT PAINTING THE STILL LIFE AND MANY STUCK WITH ME BUT NONE MORE THAT YOU SHOULD ALWAYS BE FINISHING WITH EACH STROKE. BASICALLY TRY TO HIT COLOR, INTENSITY, HUE AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE. SO MANY ARTISTS HAVE A 'CREEPING' UP ON IT APPROACH, MY OPINION IS THIS IS JUST WASTING TIME. I WOULD SAY THAT MORE TIMES THAN NOT WHAT I THINK IS THE RIGHT COLOR INITIALLY ALWAYS WILL BE CORRECTED LATER AS YOU CHANGE AND CORRECT OTHER COLORS AROUND IT, BUT WHEN LAYING IN COLOR AND VALUES APPROACH THEM LIKE YOU HAVE 5 MIN LEFT TO PAINT!!!

3. NEXT BIG IDEA THAT I REMEBER ABOUT MY FELLOW LIFE PAINTER, IS THAT ONCE YOUR COLOR AND VALUES ARE CLOSE TO WHERE THEY SHOULD BE, BRING THE BACKGROUND CLOSE TO A FINISH. HERE IS THE LOGIC... THE BACKGROUND IS THE OUNDATION UPON WHICH ALL OTHER VALUES, INTENSITYS AND COLORS WILL BE SET. IF I WAS TO FINISH THE VASE AND THE FLOWERS FIRST (LIKE MANY WOULD CHOOSE TO DO BECAUSE IT IS THE CENTER OF INTEREST) ALL OF MY FINAL COLOR, INTENSITY, AND VALUE DECISIONS I HAVE MADE TO THESE PATICULAR OBJECTS ARE NOW SOLEY RELIANT ON HOW ACCURATELY I HAVE STATED THE BACKGROUND IN MY BEGINING ROUGH STAGE. MOST LIKELY I WILL HAVE TO DO SOME ADJUSTMENTS TO IT AND WHEN THIS HAPPENS UNINTENTIONAL ADJUSTMENTS OCCUR TO THE MAIN SUBJECT WHICH I HAVE ALREADY FINISHED (IE ONCE I HAVE FINISHED THE VASE AND FLOWERS I REALIZE THE BACKGROUND IS TOO FLAT AND NEEDS MORE COLOR VARIETY TO BE ACCURATEAND AS I BEGIN TO ADD MORE COLORS THE VASE AND FLOERS BEGIN TO LOOSE THE INTENSITY AND COLOR VIBRANCY THAT I THOUGHT THEY HAD.) IMAGINE THAT ALL OF THE ELEMENTS TO A PIECE (COPOSITION, DRAWING, EDGES, SHAPES, VALUES, INTENSITIES, COLOR ETC) ARE ON MULTI ARMED SCALE, EACH WITH THIER OWN ARM, IF YOU ADD SOME TO THIS ARM YOU SIMPLY CANNOT LET IT GO WITHOUT COUNTERBALANCING IT ON ANOTHER.

4. ON THE SIDE OF MY BOARD I ADD A SMALL COLOR TREE TO REMIND MYSELF OF THE BACKGROUND COLOR MAKEUP. THE BASE IS OBVIOUSLY JUST THAT...A WARM AND COOL GRAY MIXING AROUND LIGHT TO DARK. ON THE TOP I HAVE MY WARM AND COOL COMPLIMENTRY NOTES THAT WILL MAKE UP THE SCUMBLING OVER TOP OF MY BASE TO GIVE ME THE EFFECT I WANT.

5. NOW WE HAVE COME OUT FROM THE MANY TWISTS AND TURNS ON THE ROAD AND WE SEE THE SIGN THAT SAYS 'FINISH ?? HOURS AHEAD' BASICALLY MY COLOR NOTES HAVE BEEN DECIDED ON MY SHAPES ARE GOOD, AND I HAVE DECIDED TO ADD INFORMATION TO THE TABLE SLIGHTLY TO GIVE A BIT MORE INFORMATION TO THE VIEWER FOR SPACIAL REASONS. ALSO I AM BECOMING SOMEWHAT DISTRACTED BY THE CAST SHADOW ON THE VASE FROM THE DANDELION. IT SEEMS TO FLATTEN THINGS OUT SO THIS WILL BE A LATE IN THE GAME DELETION, AS I SAID EARLIER I THINGS ARE ALWAYS CHANGING WITH HOW I WOR, SOME PIECES GO START TO FINISH AS PLANNED AND OTHERS ARE CONSTANTLY IN FLUX TILL THE VERY END. TECHNICALLY NOW I AM MOVING FROM SOFTER TO HARDER PASTEL AND TAKING THE STORKES FROM LONG, SMOOTH, THICK ONES TO MORE SHORT, ABBREVIATED, CROSS-HATCHING ONES. tHIS WILL BE THE PROCESS FROM HERE ON OUT, FILING DOWN THE WAY I LAY THE PASTEL DOWN AS WELL AS TAPERING DOWN FROM SOFTER TO HARDER PASTELS.

FINISH PIC #6 I WILL TRY TO PUT ON AFTER I POST THIS

BMBURT
05-27-2005, 08:27 PM
. . . .here's The End

6. Now The End I Have Cleaned Up Colors And Edges As Well As Blended Together My Color Choices By Crosshatching With Other Colors. At The End For Hight Lights, Just As In Classically Painted Oils I Hit Highlights With Very Soft Pastels (mainly Schmincke) Not Only To Give The Illusion Of The Higlight But The Physical Presence Of It Being The First Thing Thatcatches Your Eye Due To Them Catching More Light Than Any Other Pastel Strokes. Obviously This Is A Summary Of How Thing Happen "sometimes" So Any Questions That Might Some Up Please Feel Free To Ask And I Will Check Back Periodically And Answer Them To The Best Of My Ability.

Thanks

Kathryn Wilson
05-27-2005, 08:49 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks so much for doing this WIP for us - I am going to print it out and hang it in my studio.

I haven't had time to digest it all, so will be back later with questions.

:wave:

Kathryn Day
05-28-2005, 01:36 AM
Thanks for doing this wip. I am adding it to my archived links to refer to. Great work.

artseefartsee
05-28-2005, 09:15 AM
I love your work. This is absolutely wonderful. :clap: :clap: Do you these steps in each piece? Beautiful. Thanks for the WIP.
Sheila

Paula Ford
05-28-2005, 12:48 PM
Great WIP...beautiful, simple, elegant painting...LOVE it! Thanks

Paula

Mikki Petersen
05-28-2005, 02:52 PM
What a stunning piece! I found it interesting that you seem to use a sort of grissaille method of staging your painting. I also love the simplicity and the very subtle color palette you have employed for this. Everything about it echoes the character of the blown dandelion puff. Way to go!

Mikki