PDA

View Full Version : Help - need advice

fink
12-26-2001, 10:02 PM
I have been looking at the paintings in this area. All I can say is WOW!! Most have people in them so I am not sure that this one will fit here. It is the first abstract thing that I have done in years. Thanks for your advice in advance.

colorme
12-26-2001, 10:19 PM
hey! i like what you did, i could go in and never find the other end..:D, is that watercolor you used?

fink
12-26-2001, 10:40 PM
You have a good eye - it is watercolor. I just had an awful time trying to get the "shadows" to look right(???). At first they were red and it looked awful so I washed them out and put in the green. There is suppose to be an eye at the center looking into this.

I woke up one night and had this idea worked out in my sleep so decided to try it. Oh my, now I know why it was only a dream. :D

MKathleen
12-27-2001, 10:21 AM
WOW this one makes me dizzy! I love it..........You need to do more abstract work so we can enjoy. Love the colors too!

Best,
Kathy

fink
12-27-2001, 08:46 PM
Abstraction is more difficult than realism. You have to know all the ins and outs of things before an abstraction works or even comes close to it.

This one is mostly realistic stuff but out of mind totally.

Thanks for the encouragement.

hlee
12-27-2001, 08:53 PM
it's great... the way you've taken advantage of watercolour's transparent quality to give the piece the cloudy, dreamy look (it really was inspired by a dream, right? pls tell me more about it if you don't mind :cool: ...)...though you might wanna be careful about shadows, which were well done, except - wouldn't the outer red ring show more tone, more contrast because it's nearer to the viewer in perspective and details like that should be clearer? (the colour of the ring was lighter than the immediate inner one)... huh? haha...whatever :D ... but when everything's said and done, it's wonderful... a thoughtful piece that draws its viewer within :clap:

fink
12-27-2001, 10:16 PM
hlee, You know when one dreams, everything is real and nothing is within reach? Well seems there are alot of those dreams lately. This seemed to have been planned out and ready to paint when I remembered it. Perhaps I should concentrate on painting as I go to sleep every night. Ha Ha.

It was really fun to do and difficult at the same time. If you looked at my web site, my paintings have a visual basis for them but this one doesn't. What can I say? Actually it is sort of a kalidascope (sp?) reversed with an eye looking into it in the center at the yellow point. The difference is that a kalidascope is all angled shapes and this is smooth round shapes. When I described it to one of my friends, I called it "holly balls" since one string of them looks like there are holes in them.

How do you get ideas for abstracts? I have become real curious lately and need to know the thought process behind it all. When I look at something to paint, it turns out similar to the objects and very difficult to abstract.

hlee
12-28-2001, 10:39 AM
well, fink... abstract work is usu. a gradual process taking up a series, and the easiest way to abstract something if you're being inspired by real objects is to distort them, and further distort the already distorted until it looks anything but like the original object. dreams are probably one of the best resources from which to draw inspiration, because you really don't have to wrangle with them much... they're already unreal as it is! :D does that help?...i dunno, 'cause on a more subjective level, painting real things seem harder than painting abstract things. maybe you could advise me??? :o

YLCIA
12-29-2001, 11:06 PM
Fink, this is great! I always enjoy your pallete.

Julia