PDA

View Full Version : Pastel Pencil Sharpener!

Shirl
05-27-2005, 01:43 PM
Hi All,

Haven't been in the pastel forum for ages, but thought I'd stop by to show you the wonderful pastel pencil sharpener I bought. I met 1mpete , (Mikki, a very nice lady) the other day and she encouraged me to pass on the information. I sharpened over 30 pencils and didn't break any pastels (except one which flat wouldn't sharpen). You crank it like other sharpeners but the pencil is pulled in by the sharpener--you don't touch it. It's at Dakota Art Pastels, Dahle brand, and is $26 + S/H. Worth its weight in gold....

Mikki Petersen
05-27-2005, 01:56 PM
Hi Shirley! :wave: Glad you were finally able to post this. The photo is terrific and look at those points...like brand new or better. Gott go to the Dakota site right away and order mine. Thanks for the heads up!

BTW, all, Shirley is one of the "3 Ladies who Paint" that I did our little show with last weekend. She's a very accomplished artist, as you can see from her signature line and is very generous with her knowledge, too. Nice people!

Mikki

Shirl
05-27-2005, 02:28 PM
Heehee, saw that you were online! Wonder why the pic came out so small?

Mikki is a very talented, nice lady (and hubby). We all about died in the heat that day of our art show--and it wasn't even that warm. But just about the day before we had heaters going it was so cool!

Shirl

chasj17
05-27-2005, 03:16 PM
Hi Shirl, and impete,
Great piece of info re the Dahle pastel pencil sharpener. I've paid up to $45.00 in my quest for a reliable sharpener and, so far, this is the best one.
I purchased two Dahles last year; one on sale from a (forgotten) mail order source and another at a local art supply dealer - each one for $20.00.
It's still a good deal a @ $25.00. I've had varying degrees of success with wetting the stubborn pencil tips in water prior to sharpening.
All the best, Charlie

ElfeUra
05-28-2005, 06:54 AM
Hi,
I also have a Dahle sharpener but mine is 770. Dont think this is a big difference.
I was so happy, when I noticed how wonderful it sharpens my pastel pencils, but after a while, the pencils started also to break. I called the firm and they told me, that the "rotator" which sharpens will get dull by the time. I was so dissapointed!!! Well, now I ordered a new "rotator" - but will not sharpen my pastels again with the Dahle.
Will you tell me, how long your sharpener stays sharp??? I would pay almost anything for a good sharpener which will last for a longer time sharp!!!!
THANK YOU

Rita

Paula Ford
05-28-2005, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the great info!! Have been looking for a sharpener for SOOOOOOOO long now!

Paula

Shirl
05-29-2005, 02:08 PM
Rita, I really don't know how long this sharpener will last. I've been through a couple of pencil sharpeners, so I just know they don't last forever...sigh...

ElfeUra
05-30-2005, 06:36 AM
Hi,

I thought, well, as long as I have not my new one, I still will try to sharpen some pencils. And what helped a little was, to clean it very often. Just used a stiff brush! Some still break - but some came out fine...

Rita