PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble May 23 Thru 29

K Taylor-Green
05-23-2005, 09:55 AM
Good morning all! Welcome to our weekly chat thread! This is where we learn about each other, our jobs, families, kids, and pets. So pull up a chair, and grab a cup of something, and visit!

No Raven stories this week! He is being a good boy, for the moment. :D
Did some gardening Sunday, planted a tree.

Did anyone else watch The Preakness? What did you think?

Deborah Secor
05-23-2005, 12:17 PM
I'm sitting down to 'finish up' an article due at the end of the week so I thought I'd bip in here and say 'hi'! I only have 3/4 of the article to write, so 'finishing up' will be major. Sometimes I sit down and don't know what will come out. That can mean it just flows out or it's an awful struggle. This one may be the struggle kind...I don't know what I'm gonna say, exactly. It's about framing...which you all know I love (NOT)...so if anyone has any interesting ideas on creative, fun framing (not how to do it, more like where to find frames, how to fix them up, what might be inexpensive and still look good) tell me!!!

I found Mikki's show in a section of the goalposts thread and you need to go take a look! Mikki, it looked wonderful!! I love your display, I spotted some familiar images hanging there and YOU DID IT! You took a leap off that cliff--finishing, framing, pricing, displaying. It is a lot of work (I know, I did it for 20 years!) so take a well-deserved rest. :cool:

I sure hope you win the big prize, Cori! Bet you'll look smashing in your little black dress. :D Oooo, and moving, too. Hope you love the new place.

I can't stay, and I know I've been MIA lately, but I keep up with you all even if I don't post. I'm trying to put my time here into commenting on paintings...

Have a GREAT week everyone!

Deborah

Bill Foehringer
05-23-2005, 01:38 PM
I'm alive and pretty well, lots of stress though. Spouse has presurgical visit Wed with surgeon re biopsy of painful mass on her upper leg near hip. SIL will move in with us a week from Friday for a few months. Spouse too ill to even fold laundry. I do laundry and we just get our clean clothes out of the baskets on the dining room table, LOL. Daughter too busy with school and dance to help right now. She's home sick today, possible strepp. If she still has raw throat tomorrow I'll take her to doc. (she doesn't drive yet) I hope to catch up at home with her and SIL's help once school is out. I'm studying art, reading threads but not doing much creatively. I constantly think about how I'd paint things that I see. Probably should paint or sketch just to keep my mind occupied. Too much on my plate right now. Ever have your fingers tingle or feel numb from stress? The thread about edges has been interesting over in plein air, check it out. Plein Air Mag comes once a month and gives me a year's worth of study with each issue, I recommend highly to all painters plein air or not. Bill

bnoonan
05-23-2005, 01:59 PM
Well I'm alive after Open Studios and relieved I can get back to business as normal. The car isn't unpacked yet but I'm hoping to attend to that this morning. I do have a sore throat - perhaps a result of holding babies - an event I don't get to do often in my life so any new parents with children looking at artwork were happy to hand off a bundle while they looked and I doted. It was great!!! but back to art...

Well I sold one original tiny oil painting and one pastel portrait to someone who knew the model. Mostly the rest were photographic note cards and some of my original photographs matted - not framed. It was good to have some sales but of course we would always like more.

I spent this morning reflecting on what worked and what didn't and it's going to be helpful for next year/future shows. Did I cover my costs? Well - just barely - but I hope it will lead to future commissions. I did however meet some nice folks and it was rewarding to hear encouraging comments from artists and non-artists alike and inspire them in their pursuits. I too was inspired by others.

Now... a few pictures are worth a thousand words....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2005/13264-1.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2005/13264-3.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2005/13264-4.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2005/13264-5.jpg

Thanks for your words of encouragement - continued support and Cori - I hope you see Abner looking back at you!!!!

Bill - easy does it! As they say.... put the oxygen mask on first and then assist others. Make sure you aren't another casualty in this event. Do what ever it is that relaxes you if possible - but don't feel any pressure to do anything but just be!

Dee - best of luck in the article writing. You will be inspired I'm sure. No tips on Framing to add I'm afraid! Sorry..

Kate - was too busy this weekend to see or even hear about the Preakness.

Mikki - sent you a PM - congrats again on the show - great setting!!!

Barb

khourianya
05-23-2005, 02:02 PM
Well, now with our move on the very near horizon, I decided to procure some boxes yesterday. My mom still had all of the boxes from my move 2 years ago in her garage (they were planning to move at the time so thought they would use them - then they didn't move). Anyway - I drove up to Lacombe with abner yesterday afternoon to get them.

Mom had Kayden for the entire weekend so I got to spend the afternoon with him. He's crawling now and gets around so fast. He is trying to pull himself right up and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he is walking by the time I see him next. We had a scare while I was there, though. We decided to eat dinner out side and brought him out in his little highchair to sit in the sun with us and talk. Then a gust of wind knocked over the chair and he went crashing over with it! :eek: Poor little guy. The tray slowed the fall, but he still got a bump on the head (and it resembles the ridges on the conrete slab on the patio) and a minor scrape on his arm. No blood at all and he calmed down pretty quick. Scared the crap out of us, though.

Mikki - I saw the pics over in the goals thread too. It looks fantastic. Maybe there will be some residual sales now that it is over and people have gone back to town to get their chequebooks!!! :clap:

Today is going to be a fairly laid back holiday monday. I slept in a little bit so now i can putter around and get started with my packing. I need to get packing tape, first, though...otherwise I won't be able to set up the boxes and get started!!! :D

***edited to add ***
We cross posted, Barb! Your open studios look wonderful! I wish i lived closer so i could have attended! Glad to hear you had a couple of sales.

Trilby
05-23-2005, 09:17 PM
Dee, good luck on that article writing, A good cup of tea helps, possibly that Long Island Tea concoction--It may not make much sense when finished, but there's no stress :rolleyes: Bill, what a lot of worry and stress for you. Take care of yourself as well, and know that prayers are said for you and your family. Cori, lots of naps while packing is always a good plan, Barb, great pics of your display,congrats on sales.

Nothing new going on with me, Making some headway on May's goal of getting some order amid the chaos of my house. We are having an early heatwave here, but today had some cloud cover and later in the week we should have a thunderstorm. I went to the local diner for lunch and the owner quite sternly said "I've got to talk to you" then he smiled big and handed me some money. Several prints of my work I have displayed there had sold and one woman wants me to call to discuss some commissions--I think in graphite. I have no idea what I might charge or whether I even feel I'm ready to take on a commission. My graphite work is further along than my pastels by a long shot so the competency is there, but...

Step Mom called me; Dad is going down fast and the doctors are beginning to prepare her for the eventual inevitability. It is really so sad to end one's life in such a state. So I am feeling the urgency of traveling there in June, and now a insurance snag has come up that must be settled before leaving. I hope he will know who I am, however, I will know who he is.
TJ

Piper Ballou
05-24-2005, 12:23 AM
Happy Week to all.

School will finish this week and somehow, and I say this every year, I am not going to cry when the kids leave. Working at a junior high is crazy enough but then when I have them all day is even more crazy. Only had 6 show up today, which helps to say good bye.

This heat wave is not fun at all, yuk, I see that is all over the southwest so Deborah over in New Mexico is feeling it too.

Kate- Miss the Raven story this week, still smiling over the hot dogs.

Bill-Take time for yourself everyday...laundry can wait, cleaning can wait, but the inner stirrings of your soul need to be taken care of. Blessings to you.

Deborah-Looking forward to your article on framing, My husband is going to work at frame shop this summer, and I hope I can keep him busy matting and framing for me...which means I need to get really busy painting.

Barb- I really enjoyed looking at your Open STudio display, Your paintings are very colorful and fresh.

Cori-Enjoy your Monday off and babies have a good bounce to them, glad he was not hurt at all.

TJ- I'm with you, not enjoying this hot weather, too hot, too fast. Sorry to hear about your father, keep in touch with how he is doing and I am glad to hear that you are going to see him.

have a good week.
Piper

khourianya
05-24-2005, 12:39 AM
TJ - I'm sorry to hear about your dad. You'll be in my thoughts and, like Piper said, be sure to keep us updated.

I found my shoes today...so now I am ready to go! I found the cutest little early 60's-inspired, kitten heeled slingbacks...and found out that my foot has changed a whole size since I hurt it a year and a half ago (seriously cut the outside of my right foot and haven't been able to find good fitting shoes since) Now I know that I have just been looking at the wrong size - and have the displeasure of knowing that I now have a size 11 foot...egads!

I manged to get a fair bit of packing done today. All of my books (except my art ones) fit into 11 nice-sized boxes. I do love my books. So now the living room is about 80% packed. My parents are coming in 2 weeks to take our sofa set away to their secondhand store so the place will start looking really bare soon. I am trying to hold off on packing my office/studio until the last possible moment. I want my pastels out where i can find them so i can relax a bit with them when i need to!

And on a fun note - you guys should all pop over and take a boo at the piece by piece project thread for this month. The puzzle is coming together nicely. AND there are still 3 pieces left if anyone wants to join in...just make sure to do so before Thursday so i can send you the piece before I fly out.

prestonsega
05-27-2005, 05:32 AM
oh hey! am I the first to post in the scumble with the new servers format?

I have just had a personal burdon lifted from me this week. I also needed the break from the internet....what with the WC site down and my ac adapter for my laptop shorted out, it seems some force was steering me towards reality orientation and participation.

I think I am going to like this quick post feature!

Natalie NZ
05-27-2005, 08:29 AM
Hooray, hooray.......we are back in action. What a worrying time for Kerri and all concerned and thank goodness they have been able to recover and get set up with a new server so quickly.............no more withdrawal symptoms.

khourianya
05-27-2005, 01:04 PM
yay for quick reply - I'm glad they went to the new version of v-bulletin. It is so much nicer.

Well - I was worried I wouldn't be able to check in before i leave for Toronto tonight! I'll probably pop in off and on throughout the day. My flight is at 1am!!!

K Taylor-Green
05-27-2005, 01:10 PM
Yeahhhh, we're back!!
Cori, Have fun. I'd like to see a pic of you in your little black dress.
Off to Open Studio day at the Pendleton. Then Wolf Park tomorrow with the grandsons.
Preston, sometimes a break is a good thing!

Deborah Secor
05-27-2005, 01:21 PM
Whoo hoo! We're back online... whew! Did anyone else go through withdrawals? LOL

My son graduates from the School of Ministry this evening and leaves on June 7 for his mothlong trip to Macedonia. Talk about (temporary) empty nesting. I don't know whether to be glad, sad, or relieved.

Oooo, lookit the emoticons...all colorful... :rolleyes: :cool: :eek: :p :D

Deborah

Mikki Petersen
05-27-2005, 02:39 PM
I, too, like this new quick reply feature. As a plodding dial-up customer, one less screen change is wonderful!

Gee, Preston, I can't tell if things are good or bad for you...either way, I hope things are getting better and better.

Deborah, congratulations on your son's graduation! Sure seems like that went really fast. I'd be a basket case if one of my kids was going that far away. Talk about withdrawal! But I'm sure he will have a memorable time and will do good works.

Mikki

khourianya
05-27-2005, 04:30 PM
Kate - I'll see what I can do. Maybe cam can take a couple before we head to the airport tonight and I'll post them in here.

Khadres
05-27-2005, 04:41 PM
Wheee! Yep, this IS neat! Man, I thought we'd never SEE each other again!!! And did I get a lot more stuff DONE while we were down??? Nope, not a thing extra! pooh

Sorry about your Dad, TJ! How sad! If you must travel, DO take care and know we're thinking of you!

Good luck on your trip, Cori! I know you'll have a blast!!

Congrats to your son, Deborah! I know he'll have the time of his life! He IS taking a camera????

meowmeow
05-27-2005, 07:05 PM
Lots going on considering we were down all that time!

Bill, I really feel for you! Take care of yourself....I'll be thinking of you and your whole family. It sounds like quite a burden.

TJ, I posted in the other thread but want to say again how sorry I am for your loss!

Glad whatever it was is better, Preston!

You sound super busy, Deborah. It is nice to see you when you have time to poke your head in here. COngrats to your son, too!

Hi Barb! Congrats on getting through the open studio! Must be ahuge amount of week. What a relief!

Piper..Yay! You must be relieved you are almost done!

Have fun packing, Cori!

Hmmm...who did I leave out...I lost track! Sorry if I forgot someone.

I am getting settled here in Maine. Pretty much unpacked but I still need to set stuff up. Hopefuly the weather will clear soon so I can go out and paint a bit.

I had to go over to my daughter's this afternoon. She was out and got a call from my grandson (he's 9 1/2) that he had had a little bike accident on his way home from school. He says someone driving too fast cut him off as we went by a little driveway...he is okay but apparently went over the handlebars (obviously doesn't have stopping short down pat) and thoroughly scrapped his arm...yuck. I got him cleaned up and she came home with gauze pads and stuff....then they were off to another drizzly baseball practice. Not sure how much he will be able to do but he'll try. And at least he is okay...but the whole thing freaked me out! Even he seemed to understand that he could have been killed! It's a good thing he had the helmet on. He said the jerk in the car never even stopped to check on him.

Sandy

Artistammy
05-27-2005, 07:16 PM
Man, never even stopped!? I hate to wear helmets but they are so important.
Tammy

meowmeow
05-27-2005, 07:20 PM
Actually, from what I can piece together, the person made a very abrupt turn into the driveway, cut my grandson off and then parked his car and went into the store. I don't think he paid any attention to anything.
Of course, this is coming from a 9 year old...so I am not positive exactly what happened but clearly, something happened. ANd he tends to be pretty careful...and he seemed pretty shook up.
SO am I!

Sandy

prestonsega
05-27-2005, 10:47 PM
Yikes Sandy....stuff like that happens so fast,,, I think drivers aren' t yet fully aware of the kids being out of school down here yet...I saw a "swerve and miss" yesterday with a kid on a bike and car.

I am going to Jacksonville (FL) Riverwalk Park and paint tomorrow ..... never been there to paint, so this is really going to be an adventure. Not being a seasoned plein air painter I have been trying to see how little I can get by with,....it will be the maiden voyage of my Roz box!....hehehe Hey ....at least I will be looking good even if the painting doesn't!!!...lol

Have a great Memorial Day weekend, ya'll!

Dark_Shades
05-28-2005, 07:11 AM
Be Warned, I hit the advanced reply :evil: :D - Whinge Alert!!! :)

I havent been in here for months - the pressure and workload was so horrendous, time I got home, felt physically and mentally exhausted - dealing with a thousand emails a month,phones, faxes, reports blah blah..... etc , obviously didnt feel like communicating further through the written word... but finally whinged enough for the new boss to take heed and remove some of my work load.. its got a little easier over the last couple of weeks - though it now transpires Ive got to have my blood pressure checked ....

I am going off on Holiday on Friday....... to Venice....... (now if you remember the last few years when I go away, of the 'things' that seem to happen around me at this time) ...... please keep me in your thoughts and prayers lol ..... and an eye/ear on the news ...... this year just me and hubby are taking the drive through France, stopping over night in Switzerland and then on to Venice - my two sons and a friend are flying over the following day after our arrival

We've had a record coldest May..... though yesterday was the hottest day of the year.... infact a real scorcher!!! - lovely sunny day today, blue sky.... but very windy

Khadres
05-28-2005, 09:45 AM
Good to see you here, Dawn! Nice to know you're surviving the job despite the stress and hope you have a great holiday! Be sure and take lots of pics for the Image Library, ok?? <insert devil smilie here...I'm too lazy to do the advanced business!>

Mikki Petersen
05-28-2005, 04:38 PM
Sandy, I'm so glad your grandson is okay, if a bit scraped up. Thank goodness he wears his helmet. I don't think most drivers pay any attention at all to cyclists, especially children. It probably didn't even register on the jerk that he was cutting anyone off! Errrrrrrrr! Makes me so mad!

Dawn, good to see you here and glad you have a bit of lightening of your work load. As for the vacation...I just love the way you glibly roll your itinerary off as if it were no big deal. That little holiday of yours would be the trip of a lifetime for most Americans. Have fun and bring us pictures, okay?

Preston, based on your recommendation, I ordered my own Roz box and am so pleased with it! I can set the trays on my pastel stand when in studio and just slip them into the case when I want to go somewhere with them. How cool is that! Of course being the studio rat that I am, it hasn't gone anywhere yet. Have fun in Florida and be sure to post your efforts.

We've had a sudden cooling off here for the weekend...HOORAY! Yesterday it was in the 90's, today in the 70's. I love the 70's! Finally dragged out my summer clothes but was clever enough to keep out some of my cool weather things given our wierd temperature swings this year.

Went for a long woodsy ride on the quads yesterday. Lots of standing water (huge puddles) across the trails. Had an absolute blast jamming through the water, splashing big waves and mud back on Hubby...when we got back we both looked like walking mud monsters! Sooooo much fun! Think I'm doing a second childhood thing here...

Mikki

Bill Foehringer
05-28-2005, 08:43 PM
Mass on wife's hip turned out to be a fatty mass not a tumor. Good news. I must say I am a little underwhelmed. I'm so used to girding for battle that it's weird when things go well. Sorry, I suppose only those who have lived with disabling chronic illness will understand my attitude. Wife is still in mucho pain from back and RA. Fibro is not flaring just now so she's just tired from that no fibro pain. Not the same person who was my bride 29 years ago this July. This kind of thing changes a person after awhile. It's just so sad, frustrating, maddening, wearying all at the same time for both of us.
On a brighter note, well daughter, (I'm a well spouse), will earn straight A's her first year in High School. She has 100% average grades in Honors Biology and Honors English. Her geometry average is 97.5%. She's a dancer, lyrical jazz is her favorite. She and her friends make dancing look so easy. We are so very proud of her. She has a wonderful disposition and picks and makes good friends easily. She had two classmate/dancer friends over last night. I made them pancakes served with fresh strawberries on the side this morning.
I just have to think about what is good in my life when the going gets rough.
I belong to a national organization called the Well Spouse Foundation. It's Motto: When one is sick, two need help. Recently, our organization was given a $5,000 grant from the Christopher Reeves Charity Organization, I don't know it's actual name. Dianna Reeves has said that when she and Chris were down and really suffering they would find someone to help somehow. In doing so their own troubles would be pushed to the background. Even though Chris is gone they are still finding a way to help others.
I've been having my own crisis of confidence lately. It just so happens that someone dear to me is also suffering. I have a chance to push my troubles aside.
I'm insisting that wife's sister and niece come stay with us while she looks for a new place away from abusive ex. By renting a storage locker and arranging for movers for her I've taken my mind off my troubles. I also went down and made some repairs at her condo before she put it on the market.
I didn't realize what I was doing until I read Dianna's words. It has helped even tho I will worry about them until they are with us. Next time I go into one of these tailspins I'll have to remember to look for someone in need, everybody gains.
One of these days soon I'll pick up the sticks again. I almost did today. Even though a professional artist should not approach art as therapy and should be able to keep working regardless, it does help the soul. I'm just not there yet. I'm too distracted. BillF

Khadres
05-28-2005, 09:21 PM
Bill, I think you've managed wonderfully well with everything you have on your plate right now. I know your wife's situation must be heart-breaking in many ways and I feel for you both. Glad you find helping your SIL to be beneficial to both her and you and I'm sure she'll appreciate the helping hand! Congratulations on that special daughter! She sounds like a real prize!

Soon enough, you'll find both the time and the energy to pick up the pastels again...there's certainly nothing wrong with deriving pleasure, relaxation and even a little therapeutic value from your art...those are just the bonus that comes with loving what you do!

Wishing you all the best!

Bringer
05-28-2005, 09:22 PM
Hi BillF,

I hope that your wife may get better as soon as possible, as other things in your family life.
You talk about a professional artist being abble to paint regardless of the context. Well, I may be wrong, but probably it's not as linear as that. Besides, to me what a appreciate in your works is the way you put yourself into them, your endless effort in becoming better each day. It does not matter the fact of you being a pro or not, altough that would be great of course.
Resuming, and I think I speak for us all at Wetcanvas, I'm looking forward to see your works again.

Have a nice weekend,

Josť

meowmeow
05-29-2005, 10:57 AM
I'm glad the mass wasn't a tumor, at least, Bill. I can understand what you are saying about getting involved helping other ultimately helping you. I don't mean that's your motive, but I can see how it works. ANyhow, my heart goes out to you and your family. It sounds like a tough row to hoe. And the pastels will be waiting when you are ready.....and we are here when you need to vent!
And...good for you daughter!!!!! That is great!

WE had sun yesterday! Hooray!

Sandy

CM Neidhofer
05-29-2005, 04:55 PM
I've never said much about my personal life here, but I feel like I'm among friends and need to vent a little. My younger son will be 18 on June 7. I've just finished putting a birthday card and note together for him, while bawling my eyes out. He's been in a lot of trouble in the last three years and was recently senteced on a failure to appear in court charge for a previous crime. In the past year or so, he was drinking, smoking pot and finally into meth, to the point that I felt I was living with a Jekyl and Hyde. He was bringing drugs and alcohol into my home, strange kids into my home, stealing money, etc. He is now in a foster home because I wasn't comfortable having him in my home any more. He's on two year's probation, drug counseling and twice weekly UA's, getting his GED and therapy because he's an angry young man, as the courts put it. My baby is turning 18 and he's breaking my heart. I've always looked forward to this day and won't be able to celebrate with him. He wants nothing to do with me at the moment. I stopped beating myself up over all this a long time ago, but it still wrenches my heart at what he's done to himself, but blames everyone but himself. :crying: Okay, I guess I've vented. Just had to get that off my chest with someone. I apologize for dumping here.

Christine

Mikki Petersen
05-29-2005, 05:19 PM
Christine, don't apologise! It's the hardest thing for a parent to deal with. My younger daughter ahd almost the same history at age 17. She was making life miserable and SCARY for her sister and me and I had to send her to live with her father for our safety and in the hopes her Dad was tough enough to control her. He wasn't. She convinced my brother and his wife that she was being badly misunderstood by us and they, childless, took her in where she did okay for about a month and then stole my brother's car for a weekend. After that she was on the streets, out of communication with all of us, living out of her car from what I understand. Oh how I aged with the worry...but the whole time she knew that she could come home if she was willing to live by house rules and she chose not too. The few times she visited, she always stole clothes, food and money.

After 4 years of being lost to us, she called me in the dead of night wanting to come home, scared, pregnant, withdrawing from drugs and bullemic. She immediately went into therapy, cleaned up, got her GED and a job and voluntarily paid me room and board. She was determined to give her baby a good life and not be a welfare mother so she went back to school. She then met a wonderful young man who had been through a similar crisis to hers. Together they took the Lord into their hearts, got married, ... he adopted her child...they had three more children together...they have worked hard and live a good Christian life. Today, her husband owns an ATV dealership and she is a Million Dollar Club real estate agent. They live in a large beautiful home in an exclusive area and she takes in troubled teens and helps them get their lives turned around.

Take heart...there is still hope. I would not be a teen-ager today for anything! It was not easy being a teen in the 60's...I can't imagine how these kids survive it today.

((((hugs))))
Mikki

CM Neidhofer
05-29-2005, 05:36 PM
Thanks, Mikki. It's just so disappointing. I took him away from a bad marriage with his father, a father who drinks and always, quite blatantly, favored our older son. A father, who, after three years, still doesn't have a home of his own. He sleeps where he works. But Nick calls his father regularly, informing him of what a "B" I've been to him. I'm afraid that Nick is very much like his father and is always going to have a hard life. Both of their philosophies on life are....they won't do that to me, it's not my fault, and I won't get caught. My older son will be 21 in July. He got into a little trouble at 17 also. He sat in his room and cried..."Mom, I'm so sorry...I'll never do anything like that again." And he hasn't. He's a general tech with Goodyear, making good money. He's getting engaged next year and married in 2007. He told me that he and his girl friend know that neither set of parents can afford to contribute much, so it'll take that long for them to save for the wedding they want. How does one set of parents get such two totally different kids :confused:

Christine

Mikki Petersen
05-29-2005, 06:07 PM
Does make one wonder, doesn't it? My older daughter never got in trouble, never did drugs, has had a normal kind of life. Some kids just have to learn things the hard way I guess.

Mikki

Mikki Petersen
05-29-2005, 06:09 PM
One thing I do know...my younger daughter needed answers. Today, when faced with a problem or challenge, she goes to her bible and finds an answer there. I admire her for this. I've never been able to rely on faith and I'm happy she found her peace through God.

Mikki

Piper Ballou
05-29-2005, 06:41 PM
Christine,
(((Hugs))) to you. I too have a son like yours. He took state in the triple jump his junior year, never in trouble, never even missed a day of school. His senior year, not sure what happened, he took brownies laced with pot to school, was caught, arrested and eventually expelled from school. What is really sad, is the day he did all of this, he was just inducted to the National Honor Society. He lived on my couch for 6 months, because he was a good kid, he was sentenced to 30 days in jail (could have been 1 to 3 years) and he could serve that on home arrest, but he was so horrible to me and his younger sister, I called his probation office and had him to the time in jail, hardest thing I ever did. He did not speak to me for a long time. He somehow got himself together, moved to Phoenix with his sister, went to a community college on a track scholarship and is now serving a mission for the Mormon church, I am not Mormon but applaud him for doing so. He is in service of others, learning a lot and very humble.
What goes wrong with one child and not the others, I do not know, my son has 3 older siblings, who caused no problems, all went to college on a sports scholarshop and have graduated from college.
Know that you are not alone in this anguish, we feel your pain and grief. Thank you for sharing your story with us. It is a safe place to do so, my thoughts and prayers are with you.
Piper

Khadres
05-30-2005, 12:31 PM
Hang in there, Christy...I can relate completely to what you're going through and it's hell on earth, as you know. We're here to offer what moral support we can and don't ever feel apologetic for speaking your mind! Heaven knows, I've had to cry on my WC friends' shoulders more than once! And I've never met a forum member yet that wasn't supportive and caring! You're safe here and we'll do anything we can to help...even if that's only to listen. Hugs!!

K Taylor-Green
05-30-2005, 12:49 PM
Christy, I had already started the new scumble when I saw this. I just want you to know I'm here for you. My mom went through a lot of this with alchohol, and my youngest sister. This was in the 80's, and though my sister has been clean for a long time now(she turned 40 last month) her health is shot. Her drinking was aggravatting a condition in her liver that she didn't know she had, and now she is a semi invalid. Her husband helps as much as he can, and she has a nurse come in every day. Very sad all the way around.
Hang in there, you may get him back.

meowmeow
05-30-2005, 06:57 PM
I know I am late Christine but I just wanted to add my hugs and say how sorry I am that things are like this for you. WE have had problems as well, although not quite this bad. Hopefully over time things will get better, but even if not, you just have to realize that sometimes you do the best you can and some kids for some reason have demons that haunt them....it is not your fault!

Sandy

CM Neidhofer
05-30-2005, 07:19 PM
Thank you, everyone, for your kind words and support. I'm feeling better and still heading off for vacation in the morning. A long awaited road trip to Michigan for two weeks, to visit family and old friends. I will be back June 14 or 15. Hopefully with lots of great pics as well! Thank you again and I'll see you all again soon.

Christine :wave:

Khadres
05-30-2005, 07:25 PM
Have a great trip, Christy! Be safe and enjoy a couple weeks FUN for a change!!!