PDA

View Full Version : indonesian woman portrait WIP

ColorsoftheRainbow
05-23-2005, 12:30 AM
This was first sketched while I listened to a speaker (who also happens to be my neighbor) who just returned from helping the tsunami victims. I am hoping it will be good enough to give to him as a gift to show my appreciation for what he did. I was so impressed with the slides he showed- the strength of the people. I can't imagine what they must of suffered. My heart went out in particular to a young boy who they showed in a slide who came to a medical clinic. He had lost his parents in the tsunami. They said he was so despondant all they could do was give him a hug.

The background is not done obviously. I am not sure if I feel finished with the face yet or not. Any helpful advise would be appreciated!
Thanks.

ColorsoftheRainbow
05-23-2005, 12:32 AM
I guess I should say....

its 11 x 14 on canvas with acrylics

It scanned with vertical lines and some of the background missing.

Mikey
05-23-2005, 02:54 AM
I reckon they did the right thing for that boy, just loving him and sharing his grief. This girl looks to be very pretty, so well done. A nice gift. It really depends if you were trying to make for a two dimensional painting, or wanted it to be three dimensional, to show the head modelling and give it depth. That's not easy to get straight into. You can begin by observing the lighting to see how it defines the shapes. If you do use photo references then you'll need good ones without flash for preference. Describing the shadows is the big thing with portraits, getting the shape of the features, not just by outline but form.

Mikey

ColorsoftheRainbow
05-23-2005, 08:26 AM
Thanks Mikey for the encouragement. I would want her to look as 3 d as I could get her. This is just my 2nd portrait and I am doing it without a reference photo. I suppose that would help with the lighting, shadows etc. :) I am very new to painting so I am sure I could use all the help I can get!

I had originally wanted to make the background into a kind of blurry bird's eye view of the coast line in Indonesian with the blue the wave coming in and then in the upper left hand corner a shadowy representation of the people who lost their lives. In the slide show we saw that the Indonesian people identify the people who lost their lives as souls. So I somehow wanted to represent that in the upper left corner.

I did a practise painting and I did not like the background I did- much too busy and took away from the portrait. I am searching for the right words to describe what I am after but can't quite get them-- I didn't want to go for a realistic look for the background-- more abstract but I am not sure how to make that work without it taking away from the protrait. I have a basic design in mind. Maybe if I scanned my sketch? This is just what I drew while I was listening to the speaker. I like how the objects in the background didn't crowd the face so I do want to try to stay with this basic design.

If anyone has any suggestions with that

ColorsoftheRainbow
05-27-2005, 09:36 PM
Bumping this up and hoping to get some comments. Here is an updated picture. I tried to add more depth to her face. I am still not sure what to do with the background.

ColorsoftheRainbow
05-27-2005, 09:39 PM
I don't know why the thumbnail turned out like that but if you click on it - it opens up normally- at least it did for me. Computers, grumphhh!

2bhappy
06-03-2005, 07:58 PM
I like your sketch I think you should stay with that original design.The head was tilted down more to the left,which helped the design.Just paint it like you drew it the first time and stay loose and you will more likely get the feeling to come through as you intended.

Mikey
06-04-2005, 06:02 AM
I think the original face was better. My advice will be work hard to get exactness when you practise doing the pencil sketches and when you do the actual painting let go and relax, don't try hard for exactness at all, but rather have some fun with the paint. But do practise all you can and get those skills within yourself so the painting will come easily.

Mikey