PDA

View Full Version : WIP Hibiscus

Trilby
05-21-2005, 06:15 PM
I've started this on AS colorfix black full sheet but will most likely crop to 16x20". This one is really fun so far!
C& Cs are always invited and very helpful to me.
TJ
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2005/58664-IMAG0001.JPG
On the other end of the size scale is this mini (4x5) . I plan another this size of another pansy then 11x14 of a large pot of pansies on an adobe step all to be matted together as one unit.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2005/58664-IMAG0010.JPG
C&cs appreciated here as well.
TJ

Bringer
05-21-2005, 06:26 PM
Hi,

This has come along quite well.
The colours play together in harmony.
I like it !

Best regards,

Bringer

Grunge
05-21-2005, 06:38 PM
I really like the sharp edges that you have going in the top picture. It holds the picture in a little better focus than the one on the bottom. I think it's a tough thing to do to hold onto those edges, but there's my vote.

Nancy Leone
05-21-2005, 06:45 PM
Looks like your hibiscus will be spectacular....like the little pansy, too.

Artistammy
05-21-2005, 09:45 PM
These are great! Can we see your reference for the hibiscus?
Tammy

Trilby
05-21-2005, 11:17 PM
I think this is one of many I've downloaded from RIL. I have many images from a number of sources. The color absolutely grabbed me, however, this also makes a terrific black and white which I may one day do in graphite or scratch art. I'll be working on this on thursdays, not too many oportunities in between, although having it in my living room, it's hard not to break out the sticks.
TJ

Trilby
05-22-2005, 12:07 PM
Bringer, T, Nancy, Tammy, thankyou so much. I am eager for the next work session on the hibiscus. T, I think you are right about the little pansy's edges. I was playing with losing those edges in the background in places but don't think it panned out. I'll be sharpening them up. With the hibiscus I want almost a 3d effect as it pops off that black paper.
TJ

Khadres
05-22-2005, 12:37 PM
YUM!!!!! Love this. I'm planning on doing some black background stuff too...it really lends itself to high contrast subjects like this! Can't wait to see the final!

Trilby
05-22-2005, 06:33 PM
Thanks Sooz, I can hardly wait either, mayhaps Tuesday I can work a bit more on it then all day Thursday. I'll post what I do.
TJ

CindyW
05-22-2005, 07:26 PM
Woo hoo, TJ! Love the bright colors against the black!

Trilby
05-23-2005, 08:51 PM
Thankyou Cindy. It's those bright colors that drew me to the image. It doesn't have a lot of value contrast, but those temperature contrasts will be fun to work with, I'll find where there should be some shadowing as well.
TJ

Tich
05-23-2005, 09:20 PM
This is really great especially against the black. Are you going to leave it black or work in an background colour?

Tich

Trilby
05-27-2005, 02:08 PM
I have surely missed all you beautiful people while WC was down. :( Yesterday was open studio at the Association's gallery so was able to do more on this hibiscus. I am eagar to have all the first layer in so I can work out the flower's intricacies and then to be able to put in highlights and shadows. Tich, yes, the whole idea of using this paper has been to leave it black. I will put in some indications of leaves, because I think the greens will be the right foil to the oranges and reds and yellows of the flower. It has been good to have this to paint as I had word that my Dad was in medical crisis. He died this am at 5. More on another thread in Pastel Talk.
TJ
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-May-2005/58664-Hib1.jpg

Mikki Petersen
05-27-2005, 02:13 PM
TJ, this is just yummy! I have a macro hibiscus from the RIL in my stack of things to paint. I love all those gorgeous colors you are using and the black bacground is really making them pop to life! Looking forward to the finish...

Mikki

Trilby
05-28-2005, 04:09 AM
Mikki, thank you. I am taking this with me to Oregon. I get lost in space working on it and think it will be relaxing.
TJ

dragonlady
05-28-2005, 04:41 AM
TJ, this is looking really good, I love those colours, especially against the black. I also enjoy painting macro flowers, hope working on this helps you during the next few days.