PDA

View Full Version : Illustration.How to.

kimcaplan
02-13-2001, 09:42 PM
Hello.Can anyone out there tell me how to get started in illustration.Do you approach Authors,publishers,how does it work.Can a writer do their own illustrations?What mediums are best to work in?I look forward to hearing from people.

dhenton
02-14-2001, 01:25 PM
Like I've got a clue, being a non-professional. However, (for what it's worth) I've thought about how I might have done it if I had a second chance.

From what I've read, breaking into commerical art sounds like something to be attacked on several fronts.

A basic education in the arts if feasible, but not absolutely necessary, the Hildebrants lasted six months in art school and Micheal Whelan a year. Of course they had an education going of their own: the Hildebrants worked as part of the Jam Handy film studio, and Whelan as a medical illustrator.

Deciding on a target market, newspapers, book covers, digital art, whatever.

Practice and exposure and finding someone who works in the area you want and is willing to talk to you.

If profiles of established artists are any guide, it helps to be incredibly talented, but of course, I wouldn't be reading a profile of a given artist if he wasn't. So that does leave open a world of possibilities that just don't make it to the art magazines, such as digital illustration, web design, using the Internet to promote your portfolio, etc.

I'll pass on some of my favorite bits of advice. When asked to define a novelist, a famous one said: "A writer is someone who writes." and of course, the ever popular "Nothing will come of nothing." Maybe the best thing to do is lots of stuff and see what comes up. You can have a heck of a time doing it!

Good Luck. How does your location play into your plans?

------------------
"Art is anything you can get away with." -- Marshall McLuhan

kimcaplan
02-14-2001, 07:33 PM
Dear Dhenton,thanks a million for your reply.You have given me food for thought especially about the target audience.I plan to do a lot of research and keep eyes and ears open while still doing lots of stuff as you suggested.As far as my location goes,the publishing market in Australia is tough so I'll need to think carefully about how and where I market my ideas.Thanks again.Will keep on creating.

sherville
02-15-2001, 02:01 AM
Hi Kimcaplan.
Are you planning on working with an agency or for yourself?
Eitherway, I would like to give you a link to a company in the Sydney area, who have a gallery on their site of their work. I thought that maybe seeing what sort of thing they do, and what they are looking for, might help you to get started in your quest for an illustration job.
I hope this helps and good luck http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif
http://www.drawingbook.com.au/

kimcaplan
02-15-2001, 05:11 PM
Hi sherville,thanks so much.I'm planning on starting alone.I had no idea there were any other aussies on this site except for a lady in Perth.Thanks a million.I'll let you know how I get on.Kim.

ivo55
07-12-2012, 02:28 AM
Creating a caricature is a difficult and time consuming proses, however it is pleasurable and enjoyable if you can looked it this way. A lot of practice is needed in order to achieve the required quality and the using of your brain turns to be the most important thing.