PDA

View Full Version : Newest batch of portrait demos

Kitty Wallis
05-20-2005, 08:54 PM
I attended 2 back to back trade shows: IAPS May 6-8 and Art of the Portrait May 12-16. I did 12 pastel portrait demos in our booth. Each took 1 to 1 1/2 hours. I do these to create energy around our booth and to show artists how I use my paper. Underpainting and pastel techniques.

I didn't get photos of all of them.

They are all 18"x24" on Museum paper.

Kitty Wallis
05-20-2005, 09:01 PM
This was my favorite underpainting. I didn't get a photo of the final piece. It was the last one of the 12 and I forgot to shoot it.

watergirl
05-20-2005, 09:41 PM
Kitty! I love the colors and the energy you pull from the subject with them-how do you choose them?

CindyW
05-20-2005, 10:57 PM
I adore/love/am inspired by the loose strings in the hair and the pink faces with squiggly lines and your bold and GLORIOUS use of color color color!!!

Did anyone purchase their gorgeous portraits?? I couldn't walk away from it without taking it home.

Love them immensely! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Khadres
05-21-2005, 12:12 AM
Well, you certainly haven't lost your touch! These are all so vital and vibrant! Nice! :clap:

Kitty Wallis
05-21-2005, 03:04 AM
Kitty! I love the colors and the energy you pull from the subject with them-how do you choose them?
Thanks watergirl,(I forgot your name) I choose the colors by feel. I take a pause, look at my subject, scan the air around the head, if choosing a background color. Or I dowse with a likely color, making a dot here and there and see if it catches. If not I find another possible one and try it.

Possible colors: Colors that are the same value as the intended site, or an ingredient of the local color. Such as: If a color is brown then there are many possible ingredients- orange, green, purple, red, yellow, blue. If laid down together, not scumbled, in correct proportion, the eye will see brown. Flesh color is a kind of brown, holding many possible color combinations.

Of course these techniques are based on a deep, long history of mistakes. I urge you to make as many mistakes as you can, as long as each one is made with the fervent hope of success. Otherwise they don't count.

Kitty Wallis
05-21-2005, 03:07 AM
I adore/love/am inspired by the loose strings in the hair and the pink faces with squiggly lines and your bold and GLORIOUS use of color color color!!!

Did anyone purchase their gorgeous portraits?? I couldn't walk away from it without taking it home.

Love them immensely! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thank you Bing,

Everyone bought theirs except one portrait painter's wife, who announced 'My husband can't paint me altho he tries.' I knew then that this portrait was part of a dialogue between him and her, not intended for her to own.

I only charge $100.00 for them.

Kitty Wallis
05-21-2005, 03:08 AM
Well, you certainly haven't lost your touch! These are all so vital and vibrant! Nice! :clap:
Thank, Sooz.
I had a good time.

watergirl
05-21-2005, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the advice-I am trying to make as many mistakes as possible. Choosing colors appears to be somewhat mystical for you and I think I understand that.

Thanks,
Molly

tURBOCAT
05-21-2005, 07:10 PM
This are wonderful and "spontaneous"!! Wonderful use of color!!

Johnnie

Deborah Secor
05-21-2005, 11:36 PM
I swear I recognize some of these women...especially the first and fourth ones!

Mmmmm, hopeful mistakes. Yep--I get that! I call it standing at the edge of the cliff. Ya gotta step over the edge to see how far you fall. But you never progress till you do, whether it's a cliff or a curb, you know? You just stand there at the edge not knowing, not going. Sometimes it's so scary people prefer to stay there, but when they step off it's just so exciting!! I really enjoy where your steps have taken you, Kitty. :D

Deborah

Kitty Wallis
05-22-2005, 01:14 AM
Thanks for your comments, Johnnie.

Thanks Deborah. Right. Too many times people say. make a lot of mistakes. or it's ok if you make a mistake, etc. Without the important piece. They have to be mistakes that happen with wholeheated effort to get it. And to accept the mistakes and carry on even tho it's often painful when we don't get it. That kind of passionate committment coupled with persistance is what it takes. Nobody promised anyone a comfortable ride to excellence.

Kathryn Wilson
05-22-2005, 09:05 AM
Hi Kitty - I certainly had a great time watching you do a major share of these portraits at IAPS. Your underpainting technique is special and captures the personality and the characteristics of your sitter very quickly. Then the fun part begins with your quick and true strokes of pastel.

As an aside, I am going to move this whole thread over to the Soft Pastel forum - I think more people will get to see these and you'll get more comments.

Yokovich
05-22-2005, 09:37 AM
so which one is the lady whose h can't paint her..the last one? Every one of these has such oooompf! --they have so much "spirit" and ENERGY....ooooo I love em!

Tom Christopher
05-22-2005, 10:39 AM
Kitty-these portrats are full of personality and attitude --each one tells story -very well done--thank you
Tom

SweetBabyJ
05-22-2005, 10:49 AM
Welp, you shurely haven't lost your touch, Kitty, nice solid work. And yep- mistakes made with enthusiasm will take a person a long way- and with Wallis, you can always brush it off and start over once the lesson is learned. :)

Kitty Wallis
05-22-2005, 01:26 PM
Thank you for your comments, Julie. I'm glad to see you.

Kitty Wallis
05-22-2005, 01:29 PM
Hi Kitty - I certainly had a great time watching you do a major share of these portraits at IAPS. Your underpainting technique is special and captures the personality and the characteristics of your sitter very quickly. Then the fun part begins with your quick and true strokes of pastel.

As an aside, I am going to move this whole thread over to the Soft Pastel forum - I think more people will get to see these and you'll get more comments.
Hi Kat, Thanks for moving this. I didn't realize I had posted it in the wrong place until the next day. How soon we forget!

Thanks for your comment. Did you have a good time with Maggie helping man that booth?

Kitty Wallis
05-22-2005, 01:34 PM
so which one is the lady whose h can't paint her..the last one? Every one of these has such oooompf! --they have so much "spirit" and ENERGY....ooooo I love em!
I didn't get a photo of that lady. The last one is a young woman, of dresden beauty, who is engaged to be married soon. I wish I had gotten more of her translucent complection.

The third and fourth are portrait painters from Australia, here to represent a group of 30 that were showing in the Australian Embassy. I didn't get to the show, too tired to face crowds of people obscuring the work.

meowmeow
05-22-2005, 03:11 PM
Wonderful, Kitty! They all show your terrific hand with color yet each has its own character. I love the blond lady on the pinky/orange. EYe popping!

Sandy

Goobiemom
05-22-2005, 03:32 PM
Kitty, I'm learning to appreciate your vivid colors. Good, honest terms for me to use are remarkable and intense. It's a wonderful lesson in values. I can really appreciate the personality of each painting. I think you know I'm not a fan of abstract colors, but I certainly admire your work because it commands attention. Your visuality is rubbing off on me because I can see it in my own work and for this I say "Thank You".

Judy

Kitty Wallis
05-22-2005, 08:09 PM
Wonderful, Kitty! They all show your terrific hand with color yet each has its own character. I love the blond lady on the pinky/orange. EYe popping! Sandy

She was very interesting to draw. Her features, especially her eyes are unsually shaped. She was a great model. She held still without losing any energy.

Kitty Wallis
05-22-2005, 08:09 PM
Kitty, I'm learning to appreciate your vivid colors. Good, honest terms for me to use are remarkable and intense. It's a wonderful lesson in values. I can really appreciate the personality of each painting. I think you know I'm not a fan of abstract colors, but I certainly admire your work because it commands attention. Your visuality is rubbing off on me because I can see it in my own work and for this I say "Thank You".

Judy
Thankyou Judy

Nancy Leone
05-22-2005, 09:33 PM
So glad Kat moved this. Always enjoy seeing your intense, bold work.

Kitty Wallis
05-23-2005, 12:22 AM
Thanks Nancy. Yes I'm glad she moved it too.

SusanCarlin
05-23-2005, 04:34 PM
Hi Kitty,
It was wonderful seeing you at IAPS and wish we could've talked longer. Will you be having any workshops in Santa Fe, or, dare I hope, even closer to me in Texas this year?
Susan in San Antonio

Kitty Wallis
05-23-2005, 05:23 PM
Hi Susan, Yes, I wish we had time to talk at IAPS. I was glad to see you.

The rest of my workshops are on the west coast or Hawaii. Santa Cruz in June, Hawaii in Sept and Washington in Nov. Can I tempt you??

Mikki Petersen
05-30-2005, 01:51 AM
Kitty, I just found this thread...astonishingly good work and I feel as though I know something of each person just from your portraits. I believe when you paint, no matter how you explain it, that you are catching people's auras with just enough physical detail to help the average eye relate. An amazing talent!

I love Deborah's description of the journey...how some take a deep breathe and take the step and others may get stopped there for a time or forever. Your workshop in Santa Fe last year was a real eyeopener for me. Even though my work still looks pretty traditional, I spend a lot of time contemplating colors now for their value and temperature rather than the actual color and I'm always amazed at how some "odd" color is just what was needed in a certain spot...

Thanks for sharing,
Mikki

jackiesimmonds
05-30-2005, 05:48 AM
I reckon the lady who didn't buy her portrait, didn't want to upset her hubby by taking home a portrait that someone else had done, successfully. (Why did she sit for you, I wonder?)

I love the whole discussion about mistakes. I shall print it off and give it to people I teach - if I teach again!

It's all about not playing it safe, isn't it. About REALLY trying your best. About not giving up, no matter what. About perseverance. Patience. Practice. The three p's. Oh, and there is another one ... perspiration.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always had.

J

Jo Castillo
05-31-2005, 02:34 AM
Those are so fun and gorgeous! I saw one you did of an artist friend in the Austin Pastel Society a couple of years ago. Captured her to a "T". Thanks for sharing.
Jo