PDA

View Full Version : The Mystery of Making Slides of Your Work...Solved at Last!

Khadres
05-19-2005, 03:14 PM
Since several of us (well, at LEAST two of us!) have been stymied in our desire to enter both juried art shows and juried pastel groups by the need to send in SLIDES of our work and the fact that we don't have any idea how to obtain these slides other than by hiring a pro photographer to take them ... which isn't always possible... Well...we're HOPING some of you more experienced and savvy sorts who have already solved this problem will share with us the methods you used!

Any and all ideas are welcome at this point! Many thanks in advance!

Bringer
05-19-2005, 03:37 PM
Hi,

I don't quite understand when you say : «hiring a pro photographer to take them ». The way you say it, it seems that you hire the photographer to take the slides to the competition. Or maybe I'm missing something on my english, since we have different ways of building sentences.
I know that some places where one takes photos, also make slides. But I can tell you that in my country, there are few .

Best regards,

Bringer

HarvestMoon
05-19-2005, 03:38 PM
Well, I used to take LOTS of slides when I would go on trips- and it was just a matter of buying slide film instead of print film. The slides were less expensive to process and you could get a print of your favorites. So I would think you would have your work mounted on a mat, not yet in glass, and upright (not tilted) on your easel, make sure the light on the picture is nice and even, with no glare, and take a picture (with a reg. 35mm camera- and slide file- regular daylight probably not high speed film-)

BruceF
05-19-2005, 03:45 PM
Here's an article that give a lot of great tips on phographing your work:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/2810/87/index.php

SweetBabyJ
05-19-2005, 03:49 PM
I set-up with digital for a good pic, watching lighting, leveling, etc., and make sure I have good, clean editing. Then I burn the pics to CD, and take the CD to the college here to their photog/graphics department, and they make slides for me. Costs all of like $2.00 a slide. I also know a student there who will bring her pro equipment here, and take slide pics for food and actual cost. Not a bad deal.

Khadres
05-19-2005, 04:05 PM
I had also heard that places like Kinko's can make slides and/or prints off CDs too. Might look into that. I've taken slides with a regular camera before, of course, but had hoped to avoid the whole film/processing/hope for the best business. With digital you can at least see what's what right away. Of course, real film takes a finer picture... I wonder too....would it be best to get BOTH slides and prints since some places require the one and some the other?

Khadres
05-19-2005, 04:05 PM
Here's an article that give a lot of great tips on phographing your work:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/2810/87/index.php

Thanks for the link!

Khadres
05-19-2005, 04:24 PM
Hi,

I don't quite understand when you say : «hiring a pro photographer to take them ». The way you say it, it seems that you hire the photographer to take the slides to the competition. Or maybe I'm missing something on my english, since we have different ways of building sentences.
I know that some places where one takes photos, also make slides. But I can tell you that in my country, there are few .

Best regards,

Bringer

Sorry, Bringer, I meant hiring a photographer to SHOOT the pictures...we have a habit of saying we are "taking photos" when we really mean the physical act of using to camera to record whatever it is. Another English weirdness...we also "take" medicine -- meaning to USE it, "take" magazines -- meaning to subscribe to them, etc. I marvel at those non-English speakers who are able to figure our language out at all!

Westerngirl
05-19-2005, 05:37 PM
The link given by BruceF is to a really good article, and that's pretty much how I photograph my work. No matter what, it's a royal pain in the behind, and I hate doing it! I keep hoping that I'll get better at it, with more practice.

One thing I don't believe the article mentioned is that I do try to leave a small border around the artwork, so that I can mask it out with the slide tape. And, I don't get slide covers when I have the film developed, because then you don't have to tear each one apart to mask it where you want to. I get the slides without the cover, buy empty covers, mask the slides, and insert them into the covers.

When I set up to photograph, I do use halogen lights and a tripod with a 35mm camera with manual settings. I shoot all the artwork with slide film, then I shoot it all again with daylight film and a blue filter so that I can have prints made. And, while it is all set up, I use my digital camera just to record each piece of artwork in case something goes wrong! Because alot can go wrong! (not to scare anyone off from trying this yourself, LOL!)

I've made my share of lousy slides, but I've made some good ones, too. Hopefully the lousy ones will become rare and the better ones the norm!

Believe it or not, my biggest problem is still remembering to photograph the pastel work before I frame it! Duh!!!

SweetBabyJ
05-19-2005, 05:44 PM
I had also heard that places like Kinko's can make slides and/or prints off CDs too. Might look into that. I've taken slides with a regular camera before, of course, but had hoped to avoid the whole film/processing/hope for the best business. With digital you can at least see what's what right away. Of course, real film takes a finer picture... I wonder too....would it be best to get BOTH slides and prints since some places require the one and some the other?
I dunno- the digitals today are pretty good- if you do your homework both in the buying and the using. Most pro photographers today use digital SLRs.

ponting
05-19-2005, 05:45 PM
Of course, real film takes a finer picture...

I believe you have been misled about the quality of digitals. I can take two foot by three foot digital images and you can imagine the detail obtained in those. This gives the slide company and excellent image to work with should I even require an 8 x 10 transparency.

Cheers, Dianna

tURBOCAT
05-19-2005, 05:50 PM
I take digital pictures and put on my computer. Check color and "squareness", etc. The I upload the files to www.iprintfromhome.com.

They make the slides, they mask the unused areas in solid black and ship out that day or the next for overnight delivery. TA DA!

Johnnie

Westerngirl
05-19-2005, 05:57 PM
Wow, thanks, Johnnie. That sounds alot easier than turning my living room into a makeshift photography studio & hoping for the best. I'm definitely going to give them a try.

HarvestMoon
05-19-2005, 06:48 PM
Would a scanner be better then than a digital camera to get the image onto computer?

CindyW
05-19-2005, 08:05 PM
Wow, Johnnie, that sounds like a deal and it sounds so simple!
Now with that info, juried competitions sound quite do-able with me able to send the digital images that I myself check and recheck and get just right.

So, you've found the slides are an excellent reproduction of your digital images?

tURBOCAT
05-19-2005, 08:57 PM
I think scanning would work just fine if you art fits on the scanner - no difference.

You just have to make sure your monitor is showing something accurate. I will say that I got in a recent juried show with one of those slides!! musta' worked!!!

Khadres
05-19-2005, 09:09 PM
That sounds like the ticket, Johnnie! Thanks!

K Taylor-Green
05-19-2005, 10:03 PM
Thanks Johnnie! I'm checking it out. Sounds like they take all the guess work out.

CindyW
05-19-2005, 10:10 PM
Johnnie, you should get a gift cerificate from them for all the referred new customers they'll be getting via you! :)

Paula Ford
05-19-2005, 10:43 PM
What a fabulous thread Sooz!! I have been wondering the same myself.

My fear about taking my own photos is that the end result will look different than the painting...so if I were to be admitted into a show and then they want me to send them the painting and they end up throwing it back at me because the painting and slide don't match exactly...NIGHTMARE

EDIT: ***Because everyone's computer screens are different***

Paula

Khadres
05-20-2005, 12:34 PM
I hear ya, Paula...I've had the same thought. I do have a friend, thank heavens, who's pretty experienced in computer graphics and ad colors, etc....Hopefully he could spot errors I couldn't, but still...there's always the fear. Yet, when you think about it, regular SLR cameras can muck up the colors, fuzz up the details, etc. just as bad and that would be UNfixable. I guess I'm just chicken! :eek:

Mikki Petersen
05-21-2005, 12:56 AM
Sooz, what a doll you are to get this thread going!

Johnnie, thank you so much for the link. I have Minolta 35mm SLR with all the bells, whistles and attachments but haven't used it in several years. I'm digitally addicted! I love having an option that lets me control the image like the link you've given. Of course Kinko's is an option too since I photograph all my art and store it on disc.

This is too easy! Now what excuse will I use for not entering competitions?

Mikki

skallagrig
05-21-2005, 10:36 AM
and for anyone in the uk heres a link to the company i used, http://www.digitalslides.co.uk/mainpages/prices.html i took the digital images and made sure i'd croppred etc and whatever tweaking was needed and when i took the photo it had to be on fine setting ie not compressed. Really nice guy and very prompt. :)