PDA

View Full Version : Garden

Spyderbabe
05-19-2005, 10:03 AM
This is 3' x 3' - the largest painting I've tried, other than wall murals. After studying bits from 5 or 6 different garden paintings, I made this scene up.
I've just blocked in shapes;right now the path looks like steps but I intend to change that.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2005/23281-wip_garden.jpg

LisaArt
05-19-2005, 11:27 AM
Yeah Kathleen! This looks totally fun! I really like the composition so far and the blocking in of your choice of colours. Anxious to follow you on this project! :clap:
BTW, what medium are you doing this in? Oils?
You know it is funny coincidence, today I have also started a bit painting - 1 metre x 1metre 20. A painting for my husband's 40th birthday coming up in July. It is My biggest ever too! :D

ponting
05-19-2005, 11:30 AM
What are we working with here Kathleen....medium and substrate?

Cheers, Dianna

Gilberte
05-19-2005, 01:45 PM
Subscribing !
I want to see what you're process is going to be, from blocking in to finish !
Good luck !

Spyderbabe
05-19-2005, 03:27 PM
Sorry ladies - This is gallery stretched canvas, 3 feet x 3 feet I'm painting with acrylics.
I decided today that I'll paint the sky area lemon-y not blue. But then I changed my mind again :confused: Half the fun is the thinking and planning, dont you agree?

Marysa
05-20-2005, 12:36 PM
Looks like great fun. I would like to see the progression also.

Mary

Spyderbabe
05-21-2005, 03:35 PM
Worked in the sky and top third

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2005/23281-gardenwip2.jpg

Spyderbabe
05-21-2005, 03:46 PM
So far all I've used is a big brush that I just bought - its a Bob Ross :p "foliage brush" that was on sale. the bristles are cut to different lengths... and a one inch flat.
I'm having doubts about the arbor thing-y ???
Originally I thought I would lots of detail, but now I'm not sure.
One close up an where I am after about an hour and half,

Marysa
05-21-2005, 03:50 PM
Really looking nice. Great Depth :clap: :clap:

Mary

gurleygirl
05-23-2005, 08:37 AM
Very nice so far. I'm excited about seeing it as you progress.

Spyderbabe
05-23-2005, 11:08 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2005/23281-gardenwip4.jpg

I'm adding detail, more darks in place. Anything disasters in the making yet?

Spyderbabe
05-28-2005, 09:33 PM
I worked the lower right foreground and added some more flowers in the mid-area. More to come...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2005/23281-garden_may_28.jpg

FriendCarol
05-28-2005, 10:12 PM
This is fun to watch. :) Your first rough sketch had lots more color (flowers, etc.) -- are some of those going to reappear later?

So far my only comment is a question: that large fir/pine must be huge (judging by its neighbors), but all the evergreen trees I've seen that tall have bare branches up by their top... I think it's a species thing. So my question: What kind of evergreen is fully covered by its needles that high up, and grows that tall?

Can't wait to see what happens to that arbor. :)

P.S. Wow, I didn't have to wait long at all! LOL You must have been editing as I was writing the above. I see more flowers have reappeared, and the arbor is taking its shape. :cool:

laketrees
05-29-2005, 01:45 AM
This looks lovely Kathleen....reminds my of the secret garden......great size and composition......
cheers kim

LisaArt
05-29-2005, 04:49 AM
Hi Kathleen, Oh Yes, This is looking great. It reminds me also of a secret garden
Your folilgae is looking super..the big fir tree is wow! :)
Are you enjoying work so big?

Spyderbabe
05-29-2005, 04:14 PM
Carol - LOL!! I nearly drove off the road today while trying to inspect the tops of evergreens!! I do see ones like this around here - I think they are Norway spruce (?)
Hey Lisa and Kim - yes I am enjoying it - and while "m not painting I'm thinking about what kind of flowers to 'plant' in my secret garden. I must admit I was a bit concerned about putting some things together that might not actualy bloom at the same time, but I got over that ;-)

Spyderbabe
05-29-2005, 06:25 PM
I took it outside to photograph it in natural sun, so here is my garden, in my garden ...also attached one close up..... just about done I think.

Marysa
05-29-2005, 06:29 PM
Kathleen, way cool !!!

FriendCarol
05-29-2005, 11:24 PM
I nearly drove off the road today while trying to inspect the tops of evergreens!! I do see ones like this around here - I think they are Norway spruce (?)Ooops, sorry about that! Maybe they have them in this state up nearer the mountains, haven't seen any around here. :D

Norway spruce -- ah, I seem to remember: very bushy, yes; when small, often cut for Christmas trees. (And then all the ornaments have to be hung on the 'outsides' of the branches.) Oh, yes, that's the kind used for the Rochefeller Center christmas tree each year, isn't it? -- and that's always very tall and bushy all the way up!

In my neighborhood we have some really fascinating evergreens -- but of course I don't know the name for these, either. (I painted some once in silhouette, but the way images are on the site just now, I'm not sure this is the best time to try to show it to you! Very distinctive, though, with long-needled foliage in clumps across wide-spread branches.)

That iris is such a show-off, I had trouble dragging my eyes off it to see the picture. :D The whole looks fine, but the detail looks great! (The whole shot reduced is really only useful for composition, which seemed great, as usual. The detail, though, was beautiful.)

LisaArt
05-30-2005, 05:08 AM
Looks great Kathleen. Love the closeup. Very painterly and a nice softness about it. Romantic! Love your garden steps...:)

laketrees
05-30-2005, 05:21 AM
Lovely setting for your painting...Kathleen......thanks for the closeup......very impressionistic......
cheers kim