PDA

View Full Version : Northern Getaway (WIP)

gouligann
05-18-2005, 02:43 PM
:wave: I just started this painting a couple of days ago, and am just wondering how the composition, colours, etc are? any comments.. what should I change? is the water reading well? light enough, dark enough in the reflections, whatever???
I plan to paint a fisherman in the area that I left blank and wonder if I've left enough space, too much space, higth-wise for the fisherman to fit in?

LisaArt
05-19-2005, 03:02 AM
Hi! This is great! I think your water and shadows read very well. Your rocks are also very well done. The pic is a bit dark, so it is a bit hard to tell. Yes, I like the idea of your fisherman on the rocks. I think you left enough space for him. :clap:

gouligann
05-19-2005, 02:55 PM
Thank you for your reply Lisa. I'm really trying to get the right idea in composition. It's like teaching an old dog new tricks, and I hope I can keep improving. It's also a new adventure for me painting greens, pale oranges and yellows into my rocks. The painting is fairly dark, as was the refferance photo, but not as dark as it turned out my camera.

Wet canvas is such a great place to learn and ask questions.
One more thing.......
Lots of people say to squint at your painting, but I would like someone to explain exactly what I'm looking for when I squint LOL!!!
thanks again, Ann

Spyderbabe
05-19-2005, 03:16 PM
I think its coming along just fine.
dont know about the squinting thing - maybe its just to help you focus?
What about holding your thumb up at arms length? :D

Johnny M
05-20-2005, 11:42 AM
Looks great...the sense of place is vg. Reminds me of lake of the woods...

Personally, I would leave the fisherman out and darken the hills in the background a little (or the sky).

gouligann
05-20-2005, 03:48 PM
Hi Spyder and Johnny, :) thanks so much for looking. I just don't want to start out painting a fisherman and realize too late that he's too big or too small in relation to the rocks/trees. I was thinking I'd try to paint a fisherman on a practice sheet and see what I think..or maybe tape it on and see what it looks like?
Johnny, I just think the painting would be too boring without something else. If there was something interesting as a focal point or even waves splashing against the rocks, I'd agree with you, but isn't it kind of blah and boring? that's how I see it.. and I've been looking at the far shoreline and wondering the same myself. Maybe I'll try a little!! bit of dark to the shoreline. I don't want to darken the sky because I think the painting is dark to begin with and I don't want it confusing as to where the skyline is.

thankyou both again for looking and your comments..
Wet canvas is a wonderful place to learn!
I'll keep you posted as I dip some more paint onto my brushes, Ann

gouligann
06-01-2005, 01:19 PM
Hi, well, I changed my mind, and have added a couple of seagulls instead of a fisherman. I just couldn't seem to draw him in the right proportions. Just wondered what you think about the gulls, proportion/colourwise. Are they too big, too small, bright enough, whatever. I'm very new at this and need some output.
thanks for looking, Ann