PDA

View Full Version : Instruction for my daughter (8)

rickroty
05-18-2005, 11:04 AM
My daughter is 8 years old and demonstrates some natural abilities with drawing. Furthermore she is a prolific drawer and goes through reams of paper. I am interested helping her to hone her skills -- help her channel this. First of all I wonder how I might best go about finding her a tutor/mentor. And is there anything else I should consider doing to help her development without actually impeding or stifling it?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

- Rick Roty [email protected]

Keith Russell
05-18-2005, 03:04 PM
Rick, three quick suggestions:

First, the main art museum in KC (Nelson-Atkins) offers classes for children ages 4 and up, as well as casses and workshops for adult students. Not all of the children's classes are geared towards children who have artistic potential/experience, but some of them are more 'intense' than others--while remaining age-appropriate, of course.

Check with a large museum or gallery near you, and see if they offer classes or workshops for children. (Hint: become a member if they do; members get substantial discounts on museum activities and classes, and what you save on the cost of classes, will most likely pay for your membership fee many times over...)

Second, if you have a community center in your area, see if they often offer summer art classes for all ages. (Our community center offers art classes for seniours year-round, but for all ages during the summer months.)

Third, attend an art show sponsored by one of your local art agencies and/or artist's associations. Take your daughter with you (and, maybe even examples of her work). Ask the exhibiting artists if they give private lessons. Ask if they accept children, and so on.

My mother did this with me when I was eight or nine, and I was able to spend several days one summer in the studio of a local artist, watching him work. It was a fascinating experience, and although it wasn't structured as a 'teaching' situation, I nonetheless learned a great deal.

Lastly, it is wonderful that you are so supportive of your daughter's interests. I am 38, have exhibited (and, yes, sold) my work all over the US, and have pieces in numerous private and corporate collections. I'm back in school now, earning a BFA at the Kansas City Art Institute. I plan to go on to grad school, to earn a double MFA in Art History and Studio Painting. Truly, I owe most (if not all) of the wonderful opportunities that have come my way, to the unwavering support of my parents, and of my lovely wife.

Your daughter is truly (I don't know how else to say it, though I'll catch hell for this in 'Debates') blessed to have such supportive father.

Kudos to you, sir!

Keith.

My daughter is 8 years old and demonstrates some natural abilities with drawing. Furthermore she is a prolific drawer and goes through reams of paper. I am interested helping her to hone her skills -- help her channel this. First of all I wonder how I might best go about finding her a tutor/mentor. And is there anything else I should consider doing to help her development without actually impeding or stifling it?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

- Rick Roty [email protected]