PDA

View Full Version : Echo Lake II - WIP

Johnny M
05-18-2005, 09:30 AM
Help...

Been away for a while. Here is my fifth attempt at "art" and I cannot decide how to finish the water - any comments on this or other would be helpful...

Oil on Canvas, 44" by 36"...

Gilberte
05-18-2005, 01:30 PM
A stylish painting already.
I could suggest to lighten the water in the back or darken it in the foreground (under the trees). This would give more depth to your work. :)

LisaArt
05-19-2005, 03:03 AM
A stylish painting already.
I could suggest to lighten the water in the back or darken it in the foreground (under the trees). This would give more depth to your work. :)

Hi Johnny, I agree with Gilberte on this. :wave:

ponting
05-19-2005, 11:37 AM
Hello Johnnie

You could add a lot more reflected colour from the sky hitting the water. Study a few photos of just how this works under various weather conditions. Calm days can contribute to a lot of colour hightlights hitting the water surface.

Cheers, Dianna

Johnny M
05-20-2005, 11:56 AM
Thanks everyone...

I aim to add light reflections to the water and tone-down the hills...then lastly finish the leaves on the trees (and fix the thickness of the trunks). I just wasn't sure "how" I should do the reflections (ponting?) - should I glaze, stipple, scumble, or what?

Thanks in advance

ponting
05-20-2005, 01:44 PM
Johnny, you need first to decide if you want reflections of the mountains then add thin dots and dashes of various sky colours. It is imperative that these dashes give the appearance of being perfectly hoizontal and paralell or your painting will seem to he humped or leaning. I know that waves (which is what you are depicting in your highlights) are affected by wind and do not always come in paralell to shore but for the beginner, it is best to assume they do.

I have added a few examples of colours and placement but they are only that, small sample areas. Go right over the trees when you are doing water lines as you can see if you look closely, you will notice how your stripes start and stop at the trees. To get a flowing feeling.....repaint the trees again later.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2005/34523-Echo_Lake_3.jpg

Cheers, I must go now and chase down some pony express riders for my next project. :p Cheers, Dianna