PDA

View Full Version : Nortel Major ?

Firebugy
05-14-2005, 05:22 PM
Is the Nortel Major too much torch for soft glass and maybe some boro.??
Firebugy

Glaswerks
05-14-2005, 06:40 PM
I am in the process of setting up my first glass studio and have been talking at length with the folks at Sundance Glass out in California. (www.artglass1.com) and the comment from their in-house torch guys is that the Major is far too hot and too strong for soft glass, but that it is perfect for boro - with the caveat that it may be too much torch if you are looking to boro beads and very intricate work.

Currently, I am looking into a National 8M - it's a good all-around torch that allows you to change heads and switch between surface mix and pre-mix without too much extra investment. In fact, you come out less than the major by far.

Mark
Drachenglas

kwglass
05-14-2005, 10:00 PM
My first torch was a RedMax similar to the Major. Used the Minor for Soft -- like many others :D . The bottom burner is a hottie (the Major is a less efficient Max -- so I've been told, something to do with square like burner). Many are getting a conversion kit to switch Major to Max.

Started Boro and went to use the big burner to make beads...worked real well for shortening my mandrels and decorating my table with dropped beads from melting the mandrel.

For Boro beads (and soft) look at the Mini-CC. I would've gone this route if it was out when I got my torch. Don't own it but used one in a Remschneider class.

I ended up getting a GTT Lynx 2 weeks after trying Boro on RedMax (Major). Love it :cool: Good flame control for soft and great for Boro beads, pendants, marbles...

Hope this helps.

Keith
Flaming Ice Designs

FiredDesires
05-14-2005, 11:39 PM
I have two Nortel majors.......majors have a minor burner on top, which is what I work my soft glass on and small boro beads, and save the bottom part for bigger boro items.
I also own 2 carlisles.....mini and mini pinpoint. Mini C is along the lines of a Minor, BUT......burns much, much hotter. It's a screaming little torch for the money....get in touch with Chris at Carlisle....he'll set you up.
:clap:

StefaniBeads
05-15-2005, 11:10 AM
I love my Mini CC! I make small beads in soft glass and the heat is managable now, but it took some practice. It's very hot and melts boro wonderfully, about like melting Bullseye on the HH, which wasn't too bad, just a little stiffer than Effetre. I used a lot of Bullseye on my HH.

I can also dial in a really bushy flame for large soft glass beads. You can do a lot with this little torch because of the adjustable flame. While it may not be adjustable the way a GTT torch triple mix is, it's nice and easy to get the flame where you want it.

Tarie
05-15-2005, 06:23 PM
[QUOTE=StefaniBeads]I love my Mini CC! I make small beads in soft glass and the heat is managable now, but it took some practice. It's very hot and melts boro wonderfully, about like melting Bullseye on the HH, which wasn't too bad, just a little stiffer than Effetre. I used a lot of Bullseye on my HH.
[QUOTE]

I learn something new every day on WC. You can use Bullseye on a Hothead? I tried Boro with my Nortel Minor Burner and it took darn near forever to melt and when it finally did, it bleached the color. :eek:

So, you can really melt Boro on a HH? That means it is possible to do this on a minor burner, right? :clap:

StefaniBeads
05-15-2005, 06:38 PM
[QUOTE=StefaniBeads]So, you can really melt Boro on a HH? That means it is possible to do this on a minor burner, right? :clap:

Uh-oh, I hope you didn't think I meant I could melt boro on a HH! :o

Actually, I did make a small boro bead on the HH, and it took forrreeeevver, lol! What I meant is that the Bullseye was a little slow to melt on the HH compared to melting Effetre, and now with the Mini CC, the boro melts at about the same rate, making the Mini CC a pretty hot torch! :cool:

You should be able to melt Bullseye beautifully on a Minor, I'm sure! As for boro, the Minor could probably melt it at a tolerable rate, but with tanked oxy, or two concentrators. I'm not sure, but that's the impression I got from reading numerous threads on here.

If you are looking to work with boro, I would go with the Mini CC or the Piranha in the line of small torches. Knight makes a small burner too, and it looks like a nice small torch for boro glass. :)

Tarie
05-15-2005, 06:45 PM
Thank you! :clap: I'll try the Bullesye on my minor. I've never used that before and I think I'll enjoy that.

Yep, I sure did think you meant you could work Boro on a HH. :D LOL.

playswithfire104
05-15-2005, 09:11 PM
I learned on a Minor and feel that I am outgrowing it. I am planning on getting my own 1st torch. My teacher recommended the Major or Mid-Range burner. I've done quite bit of research on the Major and Mid-range burner's. I can't tell you how many sites I been to and how many boards I read. The conclusion I came to was that I wanted a Lynx. Discussing this in class I was overheard by another student who told me that I shouldn't get a lynx. Talk about confused!! After some more discussion he told me he has 4 or 5 torches, one of them a Lynx and I should go over to his studio and try it out for myself. I plan on taking him up on that real soon. He works mostly (I think) in boro, and does much bigger work than I'm planning on - at first anyhow! So I just may like the Lynx. I'll see. Just my 2 cents on the topic.

Nancy

StefaniBeads
05-16-2005, 10:30 AM
I learned on a Minor and feel that I am outgrowing it. I am planning on getting my own 1st torch. My teacher recommended the Major or Mid-Range burner. I've done quite bit of research on the Major and Mid-range burner's. I can't tell you how many sites I been to and how many boards I read. The conclusion I came to was that I wanted a Lynx. Discussing this in class I was overheard by another student who told me that I shouldn't get a lynx. Talk about confused!! After some more discussion he told me he has 4 or 5 torches, one of them a Lynx and I should go over to his studio and try it out for myself. I plan on taking him up on that real soon. He works mostly (I think) in boro, and does much bigger work than I'm planning on - at first anyhow! So I just may like the Lynx. I'll see. Just my 2 cents on the topic.

Nancy

Since you learned on a Minor, I think the Lynx would be a good torch for you to step up to. It it a lot hotter than the Minor! Again, if you wish to go hotter, that would depend on the kind of work you want to do. I thought about a Lynx for my next torch, but since the Phantom's center fire is similiar to the Lynx, I'm going to wait and save my pennies. I'll be needing the outer fire for the work I plan to do.

That's great that you have a place to try out the torches! :cool:

Mark Wilson
05-16-2005, 10:40 AM
i have a major burner with a minor on top. it is a good torch but not a great one. if i had it to do over again, i would buy the nortel red max. there is a conversion kit, but so far i have not decided what to do. contrary to popular oppinion, there is not such thing a a torch that is more efficient. it takes the same amount of oxygen to burn 1 liter of gas no matter what kind of torch it is, no matter what shape the flame is (square vs round), it is just simple chemistry. what does matter is that the red max torch runs cooler than the major. if you have your major on for any length of time, it will be too hot to get your hands within 6 inches of the torch. alson, note that the big torches take 2 to 3 oxygen concentrators to operate, or they need big tanks. one nice thing about all of the nortel torches, they will run off of low pressure natural gas, so you do not need to get an expensive booster.

generationsglass
05-16-2005, 11:27 AM
The Major Burner is really out-dated. It was fine for it's intended purposes, working standard wall tubing for scientific applications.

The Red-Max is a MUCH better torch!

The round hole pattern of the Red-Max makes the flame more contollable and focus. The heat actually goes where you want it to, into the glass.

The Major has a square hole pattern that makes the flame whispy and unfocused. The heat does go into the glass but also goes everywhere else on the bench and your hands.

The Midrange-Plus is a really good torch. I conider it to be equal to the Red-Max in performance, just a smaller flame.

The Red-Max Conversion Kit will convert both the Major and Midrange-Plus to a Red-Max. It replaces the bottom burner on these torches but you keep the top mounted torch.

NYCindy
02-11-2007, 09:27 PM
I'm bumping this up just in case anyone other than me is interested in the Red Max.

Cindy