PDA

View Full Version : Making the color "turquoise" in pastels

IndigoRed
05-14-2005, 05:03 PM
Well it looks like im just not gonna be able to afford the southwest and blue violet sets of unisons............the main reason im wanting the southwest is for the turquoise colors..............does anyone have any idea on how to make these colors by blending.............i know acrylic and oil paint has those colors already in tubes, but what colors actually make THAT color??? Its either try this and get my daniel greene pastel portrait video of erika (or the other one which i have forgotten the name) or buy the southwest set and forget about the video...........either way im not happy lol..............maybe ill try selling some things in the swap shop..........

Anyways.....thanks for the help.

Stephanie

Khadres
05-14-2005, 06:12 PM
You must need something special for the turquoise because at least a couple makers of it charge extra for it! Here's an idea on how to have yer cake and eat it to maybe....get your local library to buy the video, you buy the southwest set, then check the video out of the library...

IndigoRed
05-14-2005, 06:18 PM
Hi ya sooz.........Yea i had thought about the library thing, i had once got them to order a book about a couple years ago, because they already had most of the series on their shelves except for the new one that came out, tho they said they will "keep it in mind" they finally got around to getting it a year and a half later..........getting my library(s) to buy new things is a bit hard to do, and here lately there has been someone going around to all the libraries stealing new art books. I had been wanting a book called fantasy workshop by a couple of well known oil painters just to find out that , even tho they were supposed to be on the shelves of the libraries i called (5 of them) the book was no where to be found, and this book just came out this year. So this makes my local libraries a little weary about ordering new stuff, especially by popular artists , because of the chance of the books, videos and such getting stolen..........sad sad world i tell ya............

But thank you for your advice...........im still schemeing lol...........maybe i will figure something out........but til then im gonna post some things up on the swap shop tonight (hopefully tonight), nupastels (full unused set), couple pastel books, couple watercolor books, and a couple other things.........so maybe if all those go i will get my cake and play in it too lol......

Khadres
05-14-2005, 06:42 PM
Oh, pooh...we've been having that problem here too...not just with art books, tho. Anything deemed "threatening" to the extreme Christian values goes missing almost as soon as it hits the shelves. Now, I have no problem with folks believing whatever they want to...that's what this country was founded on....but to appoint yourself the censor of everything your fellow man can see, read, or think is just wrong in my book. And then, of course, there are your regular theives out there...makes it tough on all of us. Darned shame.

Good luck with your swap shoppin'!

HarvestMoon
05-14-2005, 07:15 PM
Stephanie,
Unison has a little set of 6 turquoise colors- the UK has the best prices- go to this page, and look for the little set- then email them and ask how much shipping would be, and how much the total cost for the order would be in US$.

Jackson Sets of UnisonsJackson Sets of Unison (http://www.jacksonsart.co.uk/wildcardsearch.php?id=notsowild&custorstaff=customer&how_to_shop=medium)

this browser does not like the long url to go directly to the set, so go to jacksonsart.co.uk then pastels, then click on unisons, then type set for the keyword...

I think if mixed blue, green, and perhaps a hint of yellow you may just get it- but I truly love to grab a stick of turquoise- my favorite color besides purple :D

PS- stealing anything is bad, but stealing from a library- for shame- probably selling it on ebay!

Paula Ford
05-14-2005, 07:29 PM
How about selling some things on Ebay???
I just sold a few pieces of jewelry and bought a field easel and a couple of other little baubles for myself that way.

Paula

HarvestMoon
05-14-2005, 08:00 PM
Oops Paula- we crossed posting- I have had no luck selling on ebay, but you must have, did not mean to bash it for you... :cat:

Terry
05-14-2005, 10:13 PM
Terry Ludwig Pastels has a 60 piece set of
Turquoise colors. All turquoise!
Turquoise is a very specific pigment.
Terry Ludwig

IndigoRed
05-14-2005, 10:17 PM
I thought about selling on ebay, but the sellers fee and paypal fees just are not worth it anymore, the only time i want to sell on ebay now is when i know im going to get over 100 bux for one auction, thats about the only time its worth it, then everything can just be figured into the shipping and handling, with auctions as small as mine would be right now, it really isnt practical to do that. Besides i like the swap shop lol, every time i have posted there i have sold, which is terrific and everytime i have sold something it was to someone ive known here on wetcanvas for awhile so the familuarity is there..........i do however put that i am a trusted seller and buyer on ebay if anyone wanted to check out my feedback. And so many of you know me here, (ive sold a couple things to a couple of yas ;) its just a nice change of pace.

Ill have everything listed and priced here in a few, at the moment my hubby has the computer and this was my only chance to respond while he was at the convenient store lol........and he is now back .......sigh......oh the days of having two computers lol....

Deborah Secor
05-14-2005, 11:23 PM
Terry Ludwig Pastels has a 60 piece set of
Turquoise colors. All turquoise!
Turquoise is a very specific pigment.
Terry Ludwig

Terry! How much is your set of 60? Can we buy them as open stock? What about smaller sets? I didn't see the turquoises on your web page... where can I find the colors???

Gotta tell you gals that these pastels are totally YUMMY--and the price on open stock is really reasonable (especially for a stout sized stick like Terry offers!)

Deborah

IndigoRed
05-15-2005, 01:45 AM
I saw the 6 set of unisons, but after figuring in the shipping cost and the wait time, its pretty much the same as if buying from dickblick, which they have them in singles (6 turq. would cost around 26 bux) , i thought well heck if im gonna spend that much on 6 sticks might as well get the 18 southwest.

I havent seen the Ludwig Turqs either, but i do know that Mr. Ludwig is selling on ebay now (unless someone else is using his name lol) but ive only seen sample sets of 6.
Terry let me know how much a sample set of turquoise are and hopefully ill be able to swing it lol........

going to post stuff in the swap shop.......hope everyone is having a good weekend

Paula Ford
05-15-2005, 01:54 AM
Terry! How much is your set of 60? Can we buy them as open stock? What about smaller sets? I didn't see the turquoises on your web page... where can I find the colors???

Gotta tell you gals that these pastels are totally YUMMY--and the price on open stock is really reasonable (especially for a stout sized stick like Terry offers!)

Deborah

OH :eek: I hope he writes back!! His pastels are so wonderful!! It was so much fun at Santa Fe last year. It was like a shark feeding frenzie in front of his booth the whole weekend LOL

Saw him on Ebay, but I have those colors :D

Paula

IndigoRed
05-15-2005, 05:54 PM
I just looked at dakotapastels, and they had a small (tiny even) pic of the turquoise collection of ludwigs..........now thats alot of turqs lol......i could just dream of all the southwest art i could use those for...but they are only available in the complete set,.......no sample set, maybe someone here will get some and share with us what they are like ;) .......

I did however get all the stuff posted in the swap shop if anyone is interested..........

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270943

HarvestMoon
05-16-2005, 11:32 AM
Hi- shipping time for Jackson's is one week- I almost mentioned Terry's set of 60, but figured you were talking about a few sticks not 60 of them. Dakota's carry's Terry's pastels now. I love the color and find all sorts of excuses to use it!

HarvestMoon
05-16-2005, 11:39 AM
sorry- forgot to mention that Fine Art Store also has Terry's. It looks from the picture on Jerry's pastel page that they must have carried them at one time, but they don't anymore.

Mt. Vision has turquoise- I think it is numbers 30-34 (yes I did go to look then got interupted by a conversation)

Khadres
05-16-2005, 03:49 PM
When I talked to Terry at the Expo, he said you can order any colors you want from him direct...if you have a sample to show what color it is, that's cool, but I'm sure if you told him you wanted something similar to the Unison set of six, he'd be able to do that too.

Terry
05-19-2005, 12:33 AM
Turquoise,
Well the studio NOMES have heard your requests.. Check e-bay for some turquoise sample sets soon to be available.

IndigoRed
05-19-2005, 09:28 PM
Thanks Terry! Will be lookin out for them! And more of your portrait samplers ;)