PDA

View Full Version : Help! Competition File Size

Kathryn Wilson
05-13-2005, 07:42 PM
Better late than never - :evil:

I've saved my photos at the guideline limits, but the guidelines did not specific file size. We could get a huge range of file sizes - so what is considered too large?

50 kb - 75 kb - 100 kb ????????

CarlyHardy
05-13-2005, 09:21 PM
As long as the image is saved at 72 dpi and the longest edge is not over 600 pixels, the size of the file will be ok. :) Size of the viewed image is the important factor.

carly

stonewhiteclown
05-14-2005, 03:39 AM
From my experience, for images (especially for busy scenes with a lot of speckles or texture) which are 600 pixels wide/high 100kb is desired minimum. Lesser size may have impact on representational quality. Here on WC, I either aim for 100 kb or use 500 pixels size, but for the show I feel like 200 kb would be fair.
On the other hand, smooth paintings tend to yield much smaller jpeg file sizes.

Carly, as far as I understand, 72 ppi number is given for guidance only because any painting larger than 8 inches will be restricted by 600 pixels size and therefore will have less than 72 ppi as a matter of fact.

CarlyHardy
05-16-2005, 12:35 AM
For simplicity sake, the image requirements were made rather general :) Some understand the ppi better than how to figure how big an image will appear if saved at a higher pixel per inch but in a smaller size.

So far, there were only a few who had to resize their images for the show!! And the most common error was in not watching the 'viewed image' size on the screen.

Next year, the image specifications can be more specific but this has been a good learning experience for all of us!!
carly