PDA

View Full Version : new painting from a newbie

ColorsoftheRainbow
05-13-2005, 01:15 PM
This is my first arcylic portrait. I've painted maybe a handfull so this is still very new to me. This painting is on a 9 x 12 canvas. I feel that the features are not quite right but I thought I would just continue so that I got the first painting out of the way! My h suggesed rather than try for a realistic painting that what he sees looks more stylized or expressionistic. (I may have the terms all wrong so if you need more explanation please let me know). I would be interested in any advise or sugestions. Thank you!

marsva
05-14-2005, 01:56 PM
Hi,
I think your painting is sweet. Is that of you and your child? Are you working from a photo?
I think if you are going for a stylized, expressionistic painting you are doing great! The more you paint, the more you will grow and progress, but for a first portrait I think you are doing well. I think it is more important to enjoy the process and learn from it than to have everything just so realistic, in fact I am trying to get away from being so realistic.
If you continue to paint, and I think you should...you will look back at this painting someday, and if it is of you and your own child and it will be a treasure for life!
Keep at it, and keep posting. Wet Canvas is a great place, and this WIP forum is so fun to watch!
Happy Painting!!
marsva aka Marsha

ColorsoftheRainbow
05-14-2005, 03:27 PM
I got this picture from a magazine. I wanted to paint it because I liked the pose and the baby reminded me of my boys as babies. I also liked the red hair. I love red hair!
thank you for your encouragment. I may try one of my kids next - or all three. I am terrible at taking photos so maybe that will redeem me as a 'good' mom when my kids are older and ask to see their baby pictures!

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll be back when I do some more.

Colors

dcorc
05-14-2005, 05:26 PM
Hi Colors

I think you've done well here :clap: - it's challenging to do the double portrait (and this communicates the warmth of the bond between adult and child very nicely) - it's also the case that this is quite small - I think people often do portraits small when starting because they think that painting large will show all the mistakes and lack of detail - in fact it's easier to paint larger and get a likeness - if you consider that differences between different faces, and between different expressions, are a matter of a few millimetres here, a few millimetres there, then getting the likeness is easier when working larger :)

I'd also suggest that, for the purpose of painting it, one thinks of a head as just being another 3-dimensional object, like a jug or a vase, and think of it in terms of establishing it's shape through working out if planes are turned towards the light, or away, or are intermediate, in exactly the same way that one would with a still life - images strongly lit from one side are therefore easier to learn from, initially.

Hope this helps. Keep painting, and posting!

Dave

ColorsoftheRainbow
05-15-2005, 12:09 AM
Thankyou Dave and Marsha for your encouragement and help. This is a great place and thank you for the tips. I will keep painting and post some more.

BTW I didn't know that a double portrait or even a portrait in acrylics was any harder than anything else. Good thing I didn't know or else I may not of tried. :D The funny thing is I got the courage to give this a try when a few days ago I painted a pink pig for my son's school play. The pig turned out better than I expected. The pig's pink skin reminded me of human skin so I thought I would try a portrait. Funny how one thing leads to another...

thanks again!

ColorsoftheRainbow
05-15-2005, 11:21 PM
I made some changes that weresugested here. I cross posted on the acrylics forum. What do you think?

The scanner darkened it. Grrr.