PDA

View Full Version : Do you register your paintings?

Kristrotter
05-12-2005, 06:38 PM
I was wondering how many of you register your works of art? I often see an ad in the The Artist's Magazine for the National Fine Arts Title Registry where you can go online and do this for $10 per painting. I suppose if your paintings are already with a gallery they probably have that covered, but what about others? Their site is www.fineartstitle.com.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this topic and how important is this?

Thanks for any replies. :)

khourianya
05-12-2005, 09:45 PM
I have never used them, but I did notice that they have recently become a WC industry partner! I believe the are offering a one month free trial to members (don't quote me).

Paula Ford
05-12-2005, 09:52 PM
No, I don't, but will go check out the site.

Paula

Laura Shelley
05-12-2005, 10:42 PM
I've seen that ad too, and I'm afraid I'm skeptical. :) You don't actually need to do anything to have a copyright in your works--that's automatic in the USA and most other countries. The moment you create a work, the copyright is created as well, so "registering" it with this company gives you no actual additional legal protection.

Registering copyright with the US Copyright Office does safeguard you in a number of ways, but if you look at the fine print, that is not what this company does. Here's the real deal: http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#cr

The rest of their service is nothing that you couldn't do yourself; many artists keep a notebook or computer files with listings and comments on their pieces. You are going to have to generate each listing for them anyway--all they are doing is storing it somewhere. $10 a shot? That's going to add up fast...

Laura

Kristrotter
05-13-2005, 10:19 AM
I just noticed the ad here on WC. Thank you for the information Laura!! That is good to know. :wave:

NFATR
06-28-2005, 05:03 PM
Hello, I'm Carla, with National Fine Arts Title Registry. I'm sorry I have not contributed to this thread earlier, but I am still learning the ways that Partners can contribute information. Laura Shelley is correct in that our company does not offer copyright protection -- only the government copyright office can do that. What we do offer is a number of benefits to artists who want to reassure their customers about the authenticity of their works. PLUS -- the entire registration record, complete with any personal commentary an artist wants to include -- is transferred to the art buyer when a work is sold. That is probably our biggest distinction over what any individual artist could do. The buyer ends up with the ownership record where provenance can be recorded. If that buyer later sells the work or gives it away, the title is again transferred to the latest owner, etc. And, we now offer a Professional Artist Program that is based on a monthly fee of $15 -- and includes unlimited registrations and title transfers. You can try it for 30 days free using the Wet Canvas promotion code.

And, our online system allows artists to keep a detailed inventory of their works (off-site records are secure and available even if a disaster strikes the artist's studio and on-site records). Professional Artist Program members also get hang tags (4-color) identifying their works as Registered Art -- plus other marketing benefits.

I encourage everyone to visit our site (www.FineArtsTitle.com) and click the Professional Program button for all the details. I can also send a PDF of our Quick Start Guide to anyone requesting it -- it shows step by step how to use the site for the primary functions.

CarlyHardy
06-29-2005, 09:56 PM
This thread has been copied to the IP forum for National Fine Arts Title Registry. If you'd like to ask further questions or discuss the Registry, you will find the thread continues at

http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3658068#post3658068

Thanks Carla for your information! We really do appreciate our IP's and the services they offer :clap:

carly