PDA

View Full Version : OH NO! Almost out of paper.........

Westerngirl
05-11-2005, 09:56 PM
.....I'm down to a few sheets of 9 x 12 white Wallis. The Belgian Mist is totally gone! I received my latest mail order of art supplies today from Jerry's, and my Wallis paper is backordered for another 30 days! :mad:

Hmmmmmm......I've got some other kind of paper stuffed in a closet, and a couple of Ampersand boards.........may have to try making my own boards here soon. Or, I might just have to get out of the dust for awhile and start mixing those oils.

Anyone else having luck getting Wallis paper yet?

Khadres
05-11-2005, 11:12 PM
I think someone finally got their Belgian Mist tablet awhile back...best bet is probably to call around to the different places and have them CHECK to see if they have any in stock and get 'em to put a HOLD on it if they do for you. Not sure why it's so darned hard to find lately. I'm half afraid to use what I've got (the gray anyway...got plenty of pro white).

Bill Foehringer
05-11-2005, 11:30 PM
I'm currently too stressed out to paint but when things ease up I'm going to scavenge my weaker works for the paper. I've done it already. You don't have to use water either. Just use dry paper towels to wipe the paper down. Do it outside. If you really want to do more than that washing with water does remove more if you really need to paint lightly for certain subjects. BillF

Paula Ford
05-11-2005, 11:54 PM
Here is what Kitty told me...I asked her in a thread in her forum....

We're the reason everyone is out of stock. We don't have any Professional or Museum paper just now. Just a bunch of rolls that are shorts and seconds.

About 3 months ago, when we started setting up a new manufacturing run of both kinds of white paper, we found that China had bought up a key ingredient to our coating formula. WOld wide shortage! I doubt if they intended to stop the manufacture of our sanded paper for pastels. But that is the effect it had. At the same time, the company that supplied to us the compound using this ingredient stopped making it. So we had no leverage to buy any from the companies that still had it because we had no history with them. They insisted on reserving it for their existing customers. This Could be a conspiracy! ...probably not.

We are reasonably sure we have found a way around the problem. Still testing. Getting ready to run a BIG order. The tests show a slightly better surface. It seems to 'hold out' the pigment from the wet underpainting better. Less fading away as it dries. If this test run works, and we'll know in a few days, All will be well.

By the Way, We do have plenty of Belgian Mist in sheets and pads.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that is back in stock soon, as I'm almost out also.

Paula

SweetBabyJ
05-12-2005, 12:03 AM
I shouldn't tell you this because it's giving away my secret, but...

You can order the rolls of seconds and shorts directly from Wallis Corp through Kitty here. Both are sold by the yard, and seconds are, of course, cheaper- sometimes they'll have a nasty flaw, sometimes it's just a torn or rippled edge along one side for awhile. Shorts are the ends of a paper run which isn't the requisite ten yards to make up a whole roll, the discount for it is less. I usually get 6-8 yard rolls of Museum grade (which, at about 45" wide is a whooooole lotta paper) for about $140.00 give or take.

Kitty's on the road right now, but if you email her, she'll probably get the message, and you'll have paper soon.

Just- don't take the last of the Museum grade....

Khadres
05-12-2005, 12:23 AM
I wonder what she meant by them having plenty of the Belgian...a lot of the online houses are out of that too...should we order it from her???

JamieWG
05-12-2005, 06:56 AM
.....I'm down to a few sheets of 9 x 12 white Wallis. The Belgian Mist is totally gone!

Well I'm down to my very last sheet pf Wallis, so I feel for you! :(

Jamie

Kathryn Wilson
05-12-2005, 10:42 AM
When I saw Kitty and Bryn at IAPS, they relayed the same story - a manufacturing problem with the white Wallis. They did not indicate a problem with the Belgium Mist.

I certainly think if you have some paintings that did not quite work out, try re-using them for your new efforts.

HarvestMoon
05-12-2005, 11:16 AM
do they have it at dakotas? I have seen wallis listed there. Personally, since I am not a pro, I really like the Colorfix artspectrum- you can order by the color at Jerry and their rose color is terrific

Westerngirl
05-13-2005, 10:31 AM
When I ordered it on-line from Jerry's, they said the Belgian Mist was "in stock". But when my order of other supplies arrived, I was told it was backordered. And my entire order was for Belgian Mist, as I knew the white was already out of stock.

Maybe there's been a run on the Belgian Mist because of the shortages of the white.

I think I will try to re-use some of the paintings that didn't work out well. Heaven knows I have a supply of those! I've never recycled the paper that way before, but I'm gonna try it. I also might contact Kitty about getting a roll of seconds or shorts. Thanks for the tip, SweetBaby!

And really, it wouldn't kill me to get those oils out again! ;)

Kitty Wallis
05-18-2005, 03:05 AM
The tests worked, we have a big order in the works, It should be in our warehouse by first week of June. Then inspected, packaged and backorders filled across the country. Boy! I'll be breathing again.

Khadres
05-18-2005, 07:59 AM
The tests worked, we have a big order in the works, It should be in our warehouse by first week of June. Then inspected, packaged and backorders filled across the country. Boy! I'll be breathing again.

Woohoo! Well, anybody who might've thought you didn't have a market for this stuff should certainly know better now!! Can you tell us what's different or anything different to expect with the new stuff?

Kitty Wallis
05-18-2005, 10:43 PM
So far we have only seen samples from the first small run. We tweaked it a bit and expect it will be the same as we have been producing. With one possible improvement. There are indications it will be easier to underpaint. Providing stronger colors with less effort. The first tests show that one stroke of color is all it takes to get the strength of color you want; it doesn't allow the color to fade as much as it dries. We'll see if that remans the case when the actual order arrives.

Khadres
05-18-2005, 11:04 PM
That could really be cool! I'll want to try some Museum when it's in stock again. I like the Pro fine and love the Grey, but figure I should see what all the buzz is about with the higher-priced spread! :D

Kitty Wallis
05-19-2005, 04:33 AM
Good plan Sooz, I hope you'll let me know what you think of the different paper.

Westerngirl
05-19-2005, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the update, Kitty. I'm hoarding the last few sheets of paper that I have, but it's not all bad, as it has made me get the oils out again, and that's good. It's all good! But I am looking forward to getting that order.

How does it feel to know that we are all addicted to your paper! LOL! No pressure from us, huh? :p

ponting
05-19-2005, 06:06 PM
Don't you just hate it Deb ...that feelling of utter panic that gnaws at you even in your dreams when you pull out that second-to-last sheet and your heart bucks in your chest. Yah....that feeling. And then you get up the nerve to get on here and lay your heart on the line......admitting to the world that you have indeed messed up in the worst possible way....and what do you get......a lot of of sympathetic souls who sadly pat you on the hand and then thumb thier noses at you by telling you they have a whole drawful of the stuff in thier studio! What are friends for eh?

Cheers, Dianna :cat:

Khadres
05-19-2005, 06:22 PM
HAHAHA...no nose thumbing intended, believe me! Had I really been on the ball I'd have tried to bootleg some of what I have left for some outrageous sum or another...darn, I'm just not evil enough, I guess! Of course, I only have the pro and grey...haven't tried the museum yet...so I'm waiting too!

terence p
05-20-2005, 09:47 PM
I had ordered some pads in Feb from a catalog and was panicing since Im running out of the sheets. Just got word that the order is on it way!

Westerngirl
05-22-2005, 07:08 PM
Heehee, those of you who are blessed with good supplies of Wallis paper had better not tell me where your house is, or keep it under lock and key! I can't be held responsible.......maybe there's a Wallis Anonymous organization I could check into here!

Actually, I just got an e-mail from Jerry's saying they have just shipped my order, so it didn't take as long as they said it would take. Must be that old "under promise, over deliver" philosophy in action, here.

But I am making progress on a nice 12" x 16" oil landscape (which I haven't done much of lately), so perhaps it's all worked out for the better.

Khadres
05-28-2005, 09:55 AM
I just had great luck this week in getting Museum & Grey Wallis both from Blick's and Dakota both. Could only afford 4 big sheets of the museum but also got a 12X18 pad, as well. So some folks DO have the stuff apparently. Wasn't a huge shipment, but it fed my paper case well enough to have it smiling again!

terence p
05-28-2005, 10:25 AM
I am thrilled - my two pads (on backorder since Feb) came yesterday!

HarvestMoon
05-29-2005, 10:00 AM
Westerngirl- did you ever find any luck finding any paper- i have a few sheets of white I could loan you- or a tablet you could replace when the crisis is over. It is professional grade, not the museum. PM me if you are desperate still

Westerngirl
05-30-2005, 06:52 PM
Oh Purples, thank you so much for the offer! That is so generous of you!

Actually, I received my shipment of Wallis yesterday. Now I'm thinkin' that I shouldn't have been so whiny, as I haven't had time to do anything with it! I'm leaving on a trip with my mom and sisters on Wednesday, and have been busy mowing weeds, training horses, taking care of orphan kitties.........Yeeeeshhhh!

Now I'm whining about not having time enough to play with all that Wallis paper and those pretty pastels! Oh well, got the rest of the summer. And I'm super excited because I signed up for an August workshop with Marc (paintbox1, I believe is his WC name.....have to check that out.....you guys all know his work and how fabulous it is!)

Kitty Wallis
05-30-2005, 06:57 PM
I'm SO glad you have paper. Wheww Enjoy having it, you'll get to it.

Marc just changed his online name from paintbox1 to Marc Hanson> His work is fabulous, I agree.

Paula Ford
05-30-2005, 09:49 PM
I'm looking for white 12x18 pads. Does anybody know who has some?

Paula

Khadres
05-31-2005, 08:14 PM
I'm looking for white 12x18 pads. Does anybody know who has some?

Paula

I just got a museum grade 12X18 pad in from Dakota...

johndill01
05-31-2005, 08:41 PM
I was on vacation in Colorado a week ago. Spent a couple of days in Colorado Springs and was able to find some 24 x 36 white pro in one of the art supply stores. Bought what they had on hand. Was going to come back and give everyone a bad time, then opened up the thread and saw that the stores were starting to ship again. Ruined my whole day. :D

For those of you who reside in this beautiful area, Meiningers has a decent supply of pastel's . ( open stock) The only thing that I found them high priced on was the Unisons. Compared to the stores in NW Arkansas, this made me feel like a kid in the candy store. Also checked their store in Denver, which has a much larger selection of goods. They do stock Wallis paper.

Oh well, will have to find something else to gloat about. :D

John