PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Brayer, May 11th-18th

Printmakerguy
05-11-2005, 04:45 PM
Suprise! I am here- Well, kind of.

I have been away from the computer for a week- We had a longer than usual trip, going to Canada, rather than our normal ports. I am in Toledo, Ohio at the moment, in a library, trying to use the computer here. A LOT of sites (including parts of WetCanvas) are blocked by the filter software, so it is a bit frustrating.

I have not had any time for art in the past few days, they have all been LONG 18+ hour days, so I have been busy! Oh well, it will be nice on payday...

Hope everything is going well out there, I wont be able to check in for about another week, headed back to Canada, then to the shipyard for drydocking in a few weeks, That should be, ummm- Fun. Yeah, that's it...

-Andrew

Diane Cutter
05-11-2005, 05:37 PM
Oh, Andrew... I know the frustration of using 'public' computers. We've done that when traveling... The libraries on military bases are great, but they have the same kind of filters... I think they are trying to protect the kids... but I never see any kids, just old retirees like myself...

So when the ship is in drydock, do you have to stay on board? Or do you get to go home, leaving a skeleton crew?

Diane

CBHutch
05-11-2005, 05:46 PM
Have fun, Andrew, and look forward to that paycheck!

Hanging in here. It continues to be kind of tough around here and during the past week it's gotten more intense as it is very clear that my father-in-law (whom we are all very close to) is dying of malignant melanoma. We just found out it's in his stomach now too, making it very difficult for him to eat. I think we'll be lucky to have him around for a few more months. They're signing up with Hospice this week. It's hard to watch especially considering he was an incredibly fit, healthy, and energetic man up until a year ago (he's only 65).

Oh well, that's enough of my whining. It just makes it hard to get things done. But my mom and dad are taking us to Saugatuck, MI (a little artist town) this weekend for a break. I'm looking forward to it. I think we are going to need it.

Cheryl

H2O_Baby
05-12-2005, 07:02 AM
Cheryl, I am sorry to hear about your FIL. I guess life throws many curve balls. Hang in there.

Diane Cutter
05-12-2005, 08:45 AM
Cheryl...

I'm so sorry to hear about your father-in-law. I'd seen my mother-in-law fade before our eyes, it was extremely hard, so I know what you are feeling. Your husband is lucky to have a loving, supportive family and a wealth of good memories to help him through this...

Enjoy your break... It sounds like fun with the potential of inspiration!

Diane

CBHutch
05-12-2005, 09:24 AM
Thanks H2O Baby and Diane for your kind words of support. I know this situation is hard no matter what or when. It just came so unexpectedly. Matt's dad is like my second father--Matt and I were just teenagers when we started dating. I don't know which is harder--watching and helping Matt go through this, watching and helping Matt's mom and dad go through this, helping the kids through this when I'm not sure they quite know what it all means (they are 7 and 10), or just dealing with it myself. Oh well, it's just the way of it and we'll all get through it in time. Thanks for listening to me whine again.

I do think it may be fun and inspirational to go to Saugatuck. They have so many little galleries. In fact, we're going to check out galleries for my mom's work (she does contemporary mixed-media). Maybe I'll find a couple of galleries that I can keep in mind for my own work in a few years!

Have a good week everybody!
Cheryl

zardoz
05-12-2005, 07:31 PM
my mother-in law died 11yrs ago of cancer three years after her husband and my wife has never comepletely recovered . I truly feel for you and what you are going through

Jetsam
05-12-2005, 09:44 PM
Hello -

Cheryl, so sorry to hear about the difficulties you are going through. That can be such a hard thing to experience.

This last week, I started a new resingrave piece..hope to post it soon. Also,
I had the opportunity to help teach a community college art class about a week ago. The focus unexpectedly changed to printmaking, and my approach to it, so I was able to teach the basics of printmaking to about 12 students, who had lots of great questions. I really enjoyed it.. which was the surprise for me. I never thought I'd enjoy instruction. I suppose alot depends on the topic... and of course printmaking is near and dear to my heart.

Diane Cutter
05-12-2005, 10:59 PM
... I never thought I'd enjoy instruction. I suppose alot depends on the topic... and of course printmaking is near and dear to my heart.
I think when you are passionate about something it is very easy to pass on that information to others. I can imagine they loved your instruction!

Diane

CBHutch
05-13-2005, 07:23 AM
Thanks, Zardoz and Jetsam.

Cheryl