PDA

View Full Version : Waiting on Oil Pastels order!

tURBOCAT
05-11-2005, 04:29 PM
WooHoo! I ordered some oil pastels and they should be here before the weekend. I am ready to try some things with them. Don't know if I can make them work, but it should be fun.

That's it.

Johnnie

Khadres
05-11-2005, 05:02 PM
I'm sure you'll have better luck with OPs than I have had! Enjoy!

Westerngirl
05-11-2005, 08:49 PM
You are so brave!

I thought about getting some oil pastels once; then my hubby reminded me that it would just be one more medium to spend money on! He also reminded me of the nice set of colored pencils that sit unused on a shelf.

Let us know how it goes once you get to try them out!

tURBOCAT
05-11-2005, 10:36 PM
Sooz - that doesn't sound encouraging.... we'll see what happens.

Dawn - don't EVEN go there. LOL (too many art supplies) but I have my picture picked out... if the oilies don't work I'll do it in softies...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2005/46554-lemon1photoWC.jpg

Johnnie

CarlyHardy
05-11-2005, 11:17 PM
Johnnie,
I love the photo that you're planning to use! My first attempts with the oilies was challenging but hanging out in the Oil Pastel Studio and asking a ton of questions really helped a lot!!

I'll be watching for your painting!!
carly

HarvestMoon
05-12-2005, 10:18 AM
Westerngirl, I think we have very similar hubbies- I thought of the same thing and guess how many nice colored pencils I have? I would love a drink of your photo though...

HarvestMoon
05-17-2005, 01:13 PM
Turbocat,
Did they get here yet? What kind? Selliner? Big or small? What are you working on and do you like them???

Khadres
05-17-2005, 01:50 PM
Yeah! Where's that lemonade????

tURBOCAT
05-17-2005, 06:58 PM
Purples - I don't think I care for these oil pastels. I'll try some more... I love the dustless aspect, but not the results. These are loose and rough. The first is oil pastels - Sennelier and Neo and the second is artsticks - big ol' things.

Sooz - here they are as studies but I am going to do this in softies....

I have an appreciation for those of you who can work with these oilies.

Johnnie

Bringer
05-17-2005, 07:04 PM
Hi,

The Senneliers that you're using are oil pastels or oil sticks ?

Best regards,

Bringer

P.S. First time I tried pastels, was oil ones from Van Gogh

tURBOCAT
05-17-2005, 07:05 PM
The Senneliers are oil pastels.....

Johnnie

HarvestMoon
05-18-2005, 09:28 AM
Johnny, I have a set of Senniler oil pastels- used them once and the picture was ok, but it never seemed to dry properly. They seemed sticky, gooey, and seemed to sort of melt where my hand was. I rapidly went back to soft pastels too, but have seen people create some really nice pictures with the oils. The very first time I used (Rembrant) pastels I didn't like them at all- and went back to colored pencil. I decided to try them again, started with pastel pencils, then got some decent soft pastels and decent paper, and it was pure love- but it was many years later from the first attempt and I was very determined to get better at it since colored pencils were so slow for me. (I am not saying you did not get good oil pastels mind you). You were so excited to get them though, I am very sorry that it was a disapointing experience for you! Sounds like when I finally got Senneliers- the 'rolls royce' of pastels and under my heavy pressure they crumbled like dust- but they have a nice box :D if any other type would only fit in it!

Khadres
05-18-2005, 03:15 PM
I, too, have the Sennelier set and the Neos and some Holbeins...all I get is a mucky mess too! In this climate, they DO "dry" or at least set up into a drier stickier sort of finish, but a mess is still a mess. I suspect it's my technique, but since there are no videos for oilies, it's hard to know for sure. I do get 'em out now and then and fiddle around with 'em, but am generally disappointed in the results. As you say, purples, the boxes are cool!