PDA

View Full Version : Anti-mold/mildew prevention treatment for framed pastels

O'Aieghlans
05-11-2005, 01:20 PM
With all this talk about framing against the glass and what not, I'd like to discuss mold prevention.

Notice that the framers (at least the ones I've spoken to recently down here in Florida) never talk about mold prevention or anti-mold treatments.

Anti-mold treatments actually DO exist. Reference Alan Flattmann's book 'The Art of Alan Flattmann' where he discusses how to do it.

You use thymolized paper in the frame sandwich for mold prevention; also, crystals can be used. These prevent mold from growing -- actually kill the mold as far as I understand.

Has anyone actually done this? I'd love to hear about it.

Laura Shelley
05-11-2005, 04:24 PM
I can imagine you WOULD need anti-mold measures in the Southeast, if anywhere! But in modern central-heated and air-conditioned buildings, I don't think moldy art is a common problem. The California climate is fairly dry, so I've never had to do anything to protect my work from mold.

Recipes for pastels often include beta napthol as a preservative. Presumably commercial brands include something like it, though that's not something I would want to mess with at home. Organic starch and gum binders are certainly edible by microorganisms, as is paper. Silverfish are the biggest hazard to art around my house, frankly! I have an old photo with gnawed tracks in the surface. But to treat my artwork with anything that would make it impervious to those little critters would probably be risking poisoning myself. ;)

Laura

HarvestMoon
05-13-2005, 12:21 PM
I am waiting for Flatman's book to arrive- but what the heck is thymolized paper? I have never seen it.