PDA

View Full Version : What's your most ridiculously expensive guilty pleasure?

DanaT
05-10-2005, 11:48 PM
The golf thread got me thinking about the crazy things we spend money on (and the fact that what we decide to spend money on often doesn't make any sense)

So I was wondering...what's the most outlandishly expensive, unjustified but totally enjoyable habit you have.

You tell me yours and I'll tell you mine...I know, I'm terrible! :D

Pars
05-10-2005, 11:54 PM
Good question, especially this late at night. Just moved our offices Downtown and discovered the "Pen Hospital." Had a great 15 minutes or so oggling all the finely crafted fountain pens, prices up to several thousand.

Well, I've collected fountain pens since I was about 4 years old (Dad gave me my first) and I suppose I have ?X?X? pens, but I just wanted to buy another.

Resisted, but will probably buy one for my birthday, usually do, doesn't make sense, can only write with one at a time, but :evil: :wave:

meriadoc
05-11-2005, 12:10 AM
err. photography.

I've racked up an amount in the past couple months..

thankfully I get paid for it.

other stuff - aquariums and aquatic plants. I love them. Can't keep terrestrial plants alive to save my life, but my aquatics thrive...

SweetBabyJ
05-11-2005, 12:33 AM
Bread. I buy *good* bread when I buy it- none of that whipped air stuff. And then I naturally buy butter- the real stuff- and I go have a feast.

dcolb121
05-11-2005, 01:21 AM
Bread. I buy *good* bread when I buy it- none of that whipped air stuff. And then I naturally buy butter- the real stuff- and I go have a feast.

Oh man...decadent...I love it...and a big glass of ice cold milk...lol...(even better, make your own bread, but that strays from the intent of the thread).

Don

PS Mine is also photography...keep eyeing better and better digicams...or perhaps my astronomical telescopes...one ten inch and one seventeen and a quarter inch mirror.

paintfool
05-11-2005, 03:21 AM
Cookie jars. Weird, i know, but i love them. I have 41 of them at this time & although a lot of them are gifts from loved ones, i have been known to spend as much as $400.00 for one (Elvis in his notorious pink Cadillac... couldn't resist it).

I also have a weakness for good food. I will shake my head in disgust at paying $2.21 per gallon for gasoline but think nothing of paying $15.00 for fresh fish or cook a $40.00 prime rib on a Tuesday.

Cookie jars, good food & art supplies. That does it for me.... oops... i DO have more than thirty night gowns & pairs of pajamas too, come to think of it and i just bought a new one today. Oy!

Drumbeat-trish
05-11-2005, 07:20 AM
I'm not telling - and no its not spuds :p

wayfarer
05-11-2005, 09:26 AM
I love to cook, but I'll only use the freshest ingredients, the best produce I can find, fresh herbs, real butter (Plugra), and extra virgin olive oil. With both of us working, meals are the time when my husband and I can be together and talk. I try to make it a good experience for both of us.

Chris

beebluefern
05-11-2005, 09:58 AM
I guess mine isn't the fact that it's really expensive but it is a luxury for me when I have time to do it. I like to light about a dozen lavender aromatherapy candles, pour some lavender bath salts into a bath as hot as I can stand it turn on a CD of classical,grab a glass of very good wine, turn off the lights and just soak until I get all pruney! Revives me right as rain!!

Pam :wave:

Ok, so it's the wine that is expensive, sometimes a really good, good wine if I have sold a painting or something!

mairrca
05-11-2005, 11:08 AM
Pure essential oils to make natural perfumes (I have LOTS of them), good food, cooking peripherals since I love to cook, art supplies...quality supplies make quality paintings...isn't that how it workks? LOL. Ingredients to make natural soaps and cosmetics...because I'm worth it :D Now having said that...I have to say that I dress like a bag lady and never go to the hair salon etc etc so I guess it evens out.

lindadavis
05-11-2005, 11:25 AM
La Croix sparkling water. I started drinking it to satisfy soda cravings when I was pregnant 8 years ago. That's pretty much all I drink now unless I don't have a choice. It's around $4.50 a 12-pack, which doesn't sound like much, until you figure I drink 6 to 8 cans a day. I'd save so much money if I could just stomach tea or coffee.

And really good kitchen knives. I use wusthof. Once you get used to the good stuff, you can't go back.

Keith Russell
05-11-2005, 11:25 AM
I collect books (hardcover, mostly non-fiction art, art history, and philosophy; and I have a few signed first-editions), DVDs, rare CDs (mostly 70s and 80s prog, New Wave, industrial, avant-garde, punk, etc.) and good cigars.

I have a couple nice, hand-made fountain pens, but that can hardly be called a 'collection'.

I certainly collect art supplies, but that's a business expense...

Keith.

Nightcat
05-11-2005, 11:52 AM
Good Beer! I love finely crafted artisan beer. I don't drink a lot anymore, so when I do I make sure it is the very best! @ $3.00 per 12oz bottle it is indeed a guilty pleasure.

My current favorites include Hair of the Dog Brewing Company's (http://www.hairofthedog.com/index.html) - "Adam" and Dogfish Head's (http://www.dogfish.com/) - "Immortal Ale".

~Nightcat~

EDIT: Keith - I don't smoke but both of those beers are said to go well with a good cigar! I like your taste in music. I have piles of old 80's and 90's Industrial-punk-funk-new wave- & whatever fringe stuff I could find. I've never been much interested in what happens in the middle, it's always what's happening at the edges that interestes me. Do you have THIS? (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005YORT/qid=1115829198/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/002-6957441-6340069?v=glance&s=music) :music:

DanaT
05-11-2005, 12:22 PM
OK so I'm not alone!

cook a $40.00 prime rib on a Tuesday

I'm with you Cheryl. I bought a leg of lamb at the local Italian grocery store and by mistake got a BONELESS leg of lamb. Total price was $45.00. A bit more than I was expecting but it was delish! :D

OK, now for my REAL guilty pleasure, I live in New York City which is restaurant heaven. The apartments in Manhattan are so small (and the kitchens are closets) that eating out is a well-honed tradition here.

I am a sushi freak and my most guilty pleasure is sampling Japanese omakase at some of the best Japanese restaurants here. Its basically the chef's selection of the best sushi of the day. You go to the sushi bar and put yourself in the chef's hands. The most I've spent has been close to $200 a night but mostly I spend $60-$100 a night. Needless to say I can't do it often but I probably do it too often for my poor pocketbook.

But I feel virtuous when I hear some friends who go to the newest high-buzz Japanese restaurant Masa that costs $500 a sushi dinner. I'm not that bad.

gnu
05-11-2005, 03:22 PM
A.once a week I treat myself to a lunch item off the menu in the cafe where my son cooks. the menu items are not cheap! they are beautiful quality food, always too much to eat!
fave lunch is pate, with fresh toasted bread and salad and 2 chutneys/relishes. cuppa latte or Orange juice to go with it and I'm set. :D
fave breake/lunch item is a large croissant, banana ,maple syrup, cinnamon and bacon, with rock melon(canteloupe), yum!! Plus I get to catch up with said son! :D
B. Also in winter, regular steamy baths, candles and a good book for at least an hour!
C.Apart from that .....a delicioucly expensive reserve NZ Pinot Noir.(from the best year).heaven...
I should treat myself to exclusive Lindale icecream, here in the Kapiti Coast, it's wickedly expensive, I will have to do some very long walks afterward if I do!
I have learnt to look after me sometimes, after years of spending all my time looking after family(with no regrets I may add) always did have those long baths though..:D:D:D

Muse's Daydream
05-11-2005, 05:24 PM
Pens. Pens and even more pens! I have fountain pens, rollerballs, ballpoints....you name it. My most recent pen is a Conklin Mark Twain signature edition in tobacco brown from Levenger. Oh, and I love anything from Levenger :D And Burt's Bees, I love their stuff and cannot get enough of it. Godiva chocolate is up there too...

RuthT
05-11-2005, 09:08 PM
Bal a Versailles, by Jean Desprez. I only buy the eau de toilette and that costs an arm and a leg. Because it is one of the few perfumes left that are made from real flowers it attracts bees and other insects, so I only wear it in the winter - which cuts down on the cost too :D

ricardo j.
05-11-2005, 10:22 PM
I buy fountain pens, smoking pipes, books, and lighters with no reason, and stuff for my fishes... :angel:

Salairawns
05-11-2005, 11:04 PM
Chocolate Orange Whackaballs -
Battle of the Planets - memorabilia, comics, toys, dvds, etc
a bootleg of the 80's Rock N Rule movie for $45 a couple years ago to find they're finally going to rerelease it this year.

Rose Queen
05-11-2005, 11:15 PM
Buying art.

maryrose
05-12-2005, 01:09 AM
A good ($$) haicut and color(way too much$$)....makes a huge difference in my attitude. I wear tees, jeans and boots or flipflops to make up for it.

L'Occitane lavender shower gel..$17!! i can't handle perfumes and this is the softest freshest scent I've encountered. My bathroom and I smell heavenly.

Original Art...though I guess this doesn't qualify, because I NEVER feel guilty buying it.

Filet mignons to cook at home. I kill any other steak. My husband considers this a foolish expense, especially when we have family over. Sometimes you've just got to enjoy/indulge yourself. Eat eggs and grilled cheeses a few times in the next week.

Art Books...especially those from exhibits I've attended.

High thread count cotton sheets...guilty (even when they're on sale!) ...but ohhhh, the pleasure.

paintfool
05-12-2005, 04:29 AM
Chocolate Orange Whackaballs .

LOL! Those are sooo good aren't they? I went to St. Augustine last weekend with a couple of girl friends & we found a chocolate store that not only had them in orange but also in cherry, key lime, pina colada and raspberry! We bought one of each & got into bed at our hotel and ate chocolate until we could eat no more. :D I'd been dieting so i felt positively decadent! Only gained back a single pound though, so it was worth it. :D

Dana, I'm a huge sushi fan too!

Eugene Veszely
05-12-2005, 05:03 AM
I'm to tight with my money.....

beebluefern
05-12-2005, 06:12 AM
I'm to tight with my money.....
Awwwwww...pity! You should be kind to yourself! You deserve it.

Toadie
05-12-2005, 08:52 AM
My horse, she has more differnt foods than me and more mane and tail products than I do haie products, in fact she has more of everything than me .......:)

jefuchs
05-12-2005, 10:03 AM
Awwwwww...pity! You should be kind to yourself! You deserve it.

How true! I don't spend like crazy, but I don't believe in denying myself niceities that I can afford. This drives my wife crazy. She doesn't believe in spending any money at all. I'm the nut who buys the Victorian house and spends years (decades) restoring it. I keep telling her to indulge herself, and she has started to do it, but I think for her they really are "guilty" pleasures.

My favorite is my sailboat. Around here, men who buy boats typically spend $30K and have hundreds of horsepower. Not many people sail around here... power is everything :confused: . I bought a modest, 30-year-old sailboat for $3000, and get more pleasure from it for the dollar than anybody who spent the big bucks. And no. I don't feel one bit guilty! :evil:

RobinZ
05-12-2005, 11:23 AM
Named daylilies. I love daylilies. The most I've spent for ONE was $10, though, which in the world of named cultivars, is dirt cheap, but I got it in a coop. It's just I keep seeing ones I want!

jefuchs
05-12-2005, 11:31 AM
Named daylilies. I love daylilies. The most I've spent for ONE was $10, though, which in the world of named cultivars, is dirt cheap, but I got it in a coop. It's just I keep seeing ones I want!

I've stolen daylillies from my neighbor... :evil: Don't get mad. I didn't actually steal them. We had a spot in our yard where grass didn't grow, so we didn't mow there. Soon, various flowers started to sprout, including daylillies which apparently were seeding from my neighbor's bed, about 50 feet away. This spot is now thick with montbretia and daylillies, and we didn't plant a single one! I didn't even know that lillies could spread like that.

RobinZ
05-12-2005, 01:24 PM
:D

This week in my yard I found 2 volunteer Japanese Maple seedlings and 2 tomato plants!

SanDL
05-12-2005, 09:39 PM
A $15.00 bar of Tuscan dark chocolate.
Very good, but I didn't feel overly guilty

Salairawns
05-12-2005, 11:20 PM
we found a chocolate store that not only had them in orange but also in cherry, key lime, pina colada and raspberry!

They are so good...
:drool:
oh wow, I had no idea. Will keep an eye out for those.

Sushi is yum too. Got my kids turned on to it. :p

Good one - art books. I hadn't thought about those, but yes, I find myself picking those up too. Sure there will be the one with all the answers to becoming skilled, highly paid, and semi famous. :wink2:

Rodney
05-13-2005, 08:38 AM
I guess I am to nice to myself :D Just about everything that you all mentioned I enjoy from time to time with the exception of the horse stuff {I leave that the my wife} and the long bath hmmm I'm still painting that picture in my mind :wink2:
But to give my own pleasure's I would have to say buying to good of paints and brushes when doing my art { I should still be using coloring crayons}.
I still work & buy parts and drive my old Mopars {69 340 dart, 66 coronet and my American Clipper motor home which as a 440 engine}. none of them get better than 15 mpg and the motor home less than 10. But with the price of fuel I sure don't get to enjoy the cars as much as in the past so now they are more of and investment I hope.
great thread :wave:

shrinkinviolet
05-14-2005, 12:12 AM
Shoes!!!!! I love them....all kinds and colors. I have dozens of pairs. My latest.....I am visiting my cousins in Kansas City and we decided to buy these so we could say at our ages (60 +) we could still wear bikinis. :D
Judy

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2005/18123-IMG_5340_edited_copy.jpg

Hessian
05-14-2005, 07:42 AM
My DVD collection. 600+ and climbing. I tallied up the receipts just from what I've spent his years so far and almost passed out... £1376.28(about $2400).

brushandknife
05-14-2005, 11:14 AM
Not so expensive maybe, mostly just ridiculous, but I love them- chihuahua "things"- you know- cookie jars, statues, stuffed toys. Right now my favorite in my collection (other than my live dogs) is a little statue of a boy dog lifting his leg. We have a decorative post that you see immediately upon entering our front door, and there he is "doing his thing". I get such a kick out of him. I had a balll when the "taco dog" ads were going. Chihuahuas everywhere!
Then there are my books- not enough room for them all. Boxes and boxes of them. This issue has been discussed on one of my threads a bit. "hello, my name is Carol and I'm a bookaholic".

Carol

MsLilypond
05-16-2005, 04:44 PM
I had to think this over for a while, I am a bit of a bookoholic but I've become selective in what I buy over the years, which means I buy the newest Harry Potter books, the newest Terry Pratchett books, and the occasional fantasy art book. Occasionally I go to Starbucks for a cappuchino. Of course I'm addicted to art supplies
I guess my biggest treats to myself are fruits I don't see commonly - I recently had passionfruit and gooseberries for the first time.

elizabeth ours
06-13-2005, 07:28 PM
Coffee, that's mine. Not just regular or Starbucks, but Llavazza, imported from Italy and shipped to me from New York. Goes along with my coffee maker, its a Gaggia, $900.00 +, makes cappuccino and cleans itself in less than 30 seconds. :cat:

Liz

zardoz
06-13-2005, 09:05 PM
the most expensive thing in my life is my wife (and occasionaly I get a guilty pleasure ) :))

Longgrain
06-13-2005, 09:07 PM
About seven years ago, I spent over three hundred (American) dollars on an orginial 12" Star Wars, Boba Fett, action figure, still in it's orginal box.

Plus a lot other SW stuff I could sell for a pretty-penny.

quinacridonemagenta
06-14-2005, 08:17 AM
I'm so bad.......

jewelry beads.....like gem quality garnets, pearls, ....I love to make jewelry......and (gulp)....spend my grocery money on beads and so live off of lettuce salads (cannot relate at all to the people in this thread who've mentioned foods or dining out as guilty pleasures).

knitting yarn.....no, not the acrylic stuff that costs $2.50 at Walmart.....I'm talking the stay up late at night buying angora, cashmere and alpaca stuff from all areas of the globe. silk shipments coming in from Nepal.....handspun handdyed alpaca angora. you don't want to know how much this habit costs me. :eek:

and shoes. I have a walkin closet of shoes. especially fond of pointy toe shoes. how many pairs of black pointy shoes can a person own???? um....still counting. and beaded sandals! its bad. especially fond of handmade leather shoes ($$$). really xxxpensive guilty pleasure don't have the money for habit.

I think I have OCD.

DAS-Arts
06-14-2005, 11:09 AM
Well, it’s not really all that expensive, but mine is music. I love classical music, and my CD collection continues to grow at alarming rates ;), and I always want to find the ‘perfect’ recording of my favorite pieces, although I am not always successful. The most recordings I have of any one particular piece is 8 – of Liszt’s Transcendental Etude No. 4 – and I still haven’t found a recording that I am completely happy with. I am also always searching for certain rarities that aren’t recorded all that much, especially a good recording of Liszt’s 2nd (1838) version of his Transcendental Etudes, but there are only to recordings that I have been able to find – one is played very slow and clumsily, and the other is out of print. Another one of my favorites is Bach, I think I have at least one recording of just about everything he ever wrote on CD or on the computer.

Then there is my art, which can sometimes get expensive, but I consider that a business expense.

David

pampe
06-14-2005, 11:52 AM
OMG...all of the above

fountain pens
WINE
knitting yarn
WINE
fine dining
WINE
art supplies and do dads, of course
classical CDs
WINE

Casey Scofield
06-14-2005, 11:58 AM
I would have to agree with Liz...COFFEE!!!! Oddly enough Starbucks doesn't do it for me either...although my bank account won't allow me the .9K Gaggia:eek: , I'm frothing at the mouth over the very thought of it! mmmm :music: co :music: fff :music: eee :music: eee........

Coffee, that's mine. Not just regular or Starbucks, but Llavazza, imported from Italy and shipped to me from New York. Goes along with my coffee maker, its a Gaggia, $900.00 +, makes cappuccino and cleans itself in less than 30 seconds. :cat:

Liz

Casey Scofield
06-14-2005, 12:03 PM
This really isn't a plug for another company or anything...and not to feed anyone's guilty pleasure...But I though Judy might like this one... Chaco, Inc. (http://www.chacousa.com) ...this is my day job...and how I afford my guilty pleasure! :)

Shoes!!!!! I love them....all kinds and colors. I have dozens of pairs. My latest.....I am visiting my cousins in Kansas City and we decided to buy these so we could say at our ages (60 +) we could still wear bikinis. :D
Judy

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2005/18123-IMG_5340_edited_copy.jpg

jimwil
06-14-2005, 02:04 PM
Hmmmm.....probably good cigars :evil: Fountain Pens..... :cool:
And like Pam.....good wine.

The cigars are actually a plein air accessory......they really cut down on bugs and spectators :eek: :evil:

Jim

andreak2000
06-14-2005, 02:18 PM
Well, I feel incredibly vain about this one after reading some of everyone else's... :o

Designer handbags... Louis Vuitton, Kate Spade, Marc Jacobs...
my closet is full, but thankfully, my husband enjoys seeing me carry them, so he hasn't banned me yet from future purchases. :D

Also, knee-high leather boots... many different styles and colors; they go with just about everything, really.

Andi

bjcpaints
06-16-2005, 11:48 AM
Judy

OMG! Those are adorable!

Keith Russell
06-17-2005, 09:40 PM
EDIT: Keith - I don't smoke but both of those beers are said to go well with a good cigar! I like your taste in music. I have piles of old 80's and 90's Industrial-punk-funk-new wave- & whatever fringe stuff I could find. I've never been much interested in what happens in the middle, it's always what's happening at the edges that interestes me. Do you have THIS? (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005YORT/qid=1115829198/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/002-6957441-6340069?v=glance&s=music) :music:

Sorry it took me a while to reply; I'd frankly forgotten about this thread--oops!

No, I don't have that, but I've added it to my list, and will probably pick it up soon. Thanks for the heads-up, I'm always interested in hearing new stuff (new, to me, anyway!)

Keith.

khourianya
06-18-2005, 01:51 AM
Books, books and more books. I must have close to a thousand of them at this point. They are stacked everywhere in my house and at least one on every flat surface. I have been a voracious reader since I was 4 (when I started to teach myself to read) and am rarely without a book. I usually have 4 or 5 on the go at any given time.

I recently got a library card again, after a few years without, thinking it might help me save some money...and soon discovered i was wrong. It became like a "try before you buy" service. I would check out a book and then have to track it down so I could have a copy to keep!!!

Oh and I have really expensive taste in CDs. I listen to alot of rare and indie folk music and have been known to spend upwards of $50 for a hard to find EP.

BeyondTheNineSquares
06-18-2005, 08:17 PM
Okay, for me it's fancy coffee and maybe an overpriced bagel or something to go with it! (followed by more overpriced fancy coffee)

Lady Carol
06-20-2005, 01:32 PM
Horses. Until recently (when he got sold) it was $1000/month for riding lessons, stabling, going to shows, farrier costs, and other sundry expenses just to keep the beastie.

To some that is a morgage payment.

timelady
06-20-2005, 01:42 PM
What a fun thread. :) I have a few in common here... a nice haircut, but I try to hold off for 3 months or so. (I get very shaggy looking!) Like Eugene I'm tight with my money, out of necessity really. My main guilty pleasures are food and drink, because I don't usually spend much on food. Once in a while I get a packaged meal Louisiana jambalaya for dinner from my supermarket. YUMMY! I almost never buy pre-prepared food of any kind. My really expensive pleasure if root beer - there's a shop in Blackheath vilage that has A&W at a mere £1.40 a can. :D (that's about $3) I'm allowed one a week max. mmmmmmmm.....

My current expensive pleasure is probably my cycle. A hand-me-down from a friend's teenage daughter (which is rather embarrassing) but I'm finding more and more gadgets to need for it! Heehe. Luckily eBay is a good shopping place.

Tina.

wishyouwerehere
06-21-2005, 08:21 AM
ooooooo - well i am a firm believer that you should spoil yourself every now and again. I've just given up smoking and i reward myself with a little luxury now and again. i just can't resist DVD's - preferably live concerts of ambient bands like Tangerine Dream, Pink Floyd, Enigma, Jean Michel Jarre...... or plants for the garden! Its getting very hard for me to pass a garden centre. I moved to a property that needed 'doing up' from top to bottom, including the garden, and this year the garden has really come into it's own......there's a few snaps of it in my journal page (especially my May Journal), and pictures of my new little studio..... :)

oh - and i plan to start indulging in saxophone lessons from July - i need to brush up my blues..... :cool:

sue
www.ayoubart.com

dd50
06-21-2005, 09:25 AM
Chocolate: I would LOVE to indulge in the very expensive stuff .. but I just can't let myself .. I'm on a budget. :(

But every once in a while .. I buy something a bit more expensive than Hershey's.

There's a store called Fran's in Seattle .. been trying to get my sons to buy me some, but they just won't do it. It's about $20.00 for a 4 piece box.

Dee

nancyw
06-24-2005, 07:50 AM
Large platters (for serving 40 pound turkeys). I have no use for these (two-person retiree home) and no place to store or display them. The one I got yesterday has grapes painted on it and was 70% off. How could I pass that up?

RuthT
06-25-2005, 12:13 PM
I think your "guilty pleasure" is really delightful and unusual NancyW. It makes me smile to read about it.

artmom
06-27-2005, 01:42 AM
Fruit from Harry and David's website! Especially cherries, strawberries, peaches, pears,....

Books, books, and more books!

Lyn

Alex22
03-12-2006, 11:15 AM
Books,comics,books and more books!!! My house resembles a library.Every part of my house has books,except the bathroom.But the rest of the house has books everywhere,even under my bed.I have comics in boxes,many very rare from around the world,for example,a serie of comics of Jesus,published in Mexico in the late 80's,the Spanish issues of Creepy magazine published in Spain,etc.Sometimes I cosider my colecction and I promise to myself not to buy a book or a comic more,but when I always go to the bookstore and find something I like.Reading is one of my favorite passtimes,so I even read again and again the books I have.:) :) :) :)

meganj
03-12-2006, 12:15 PM
good wine and kona peaberry coffee... not together of course.

dlake
03-12-2006, 12:34 PM
I love perfume. good perfume. And good makeup. But, my guiltiest. the thing I have to stay away from as much as will power will let me and I am totally weak against........books. I love books. Books about whatever I want to look into, know about, enjoy. I'm not talking paperbacks. I'm talking those books about so much, history, photography, those coffe table lovelies. And being a curious person, well.....lets just say amazon, borders and barnes and nobel are dangerous....

alfreda
03-12-2006, 01:42 PM
I know this sounds silly but a german made electric teakettle. I love the quality, function, design, and being able to see how much water is in the kettle.
http://shopping.msn.com/Specs/shp/?itemId=165300278

and good ceylon tea.

yes, I drink that much tea.

windsongmeditation
03-12-2006, 04:25 PM
Five ex-wives…it don’t get more expensive than that….:D LOL….Bob

Axl
03-13-2006, 01:46 AM
Five ex-wives…it don’t get more expensive than that….:D LOL….Bob

lolol :D

lindamulder
03-13-2006, 09:05 AM
Great COFFEE (made right! most coffee made by my friends tastes like crap and they always say how good mine is; well you start with good beans and you have to put in the proper amount of grounds; they still don't though).

Imported LEONIDAS chocolate. It's from Belgium. My husband brought some home what seems like a century ago and I savoured every bit of it. Alas, I thought that would be it. Three years ago we moved here to Ottawa, I'm driving along and I see a sign that says LEONIDAS. No it can't be... I swerve into the plaza parking lot taking out three grannies in the process...where is it... there it is on the Forte Cafe window...I go inside...I don't even remember leaving the car and walking to the shop...and there in the glass case they lie. I'm saying goodbye to them soon as we are moving back to the West Coast, but I'll be saying hello again to...

Wild pacific salmon.

(It's all food!)

Okay a non-food...can't think of one.

AquinasShrugged
03-13-2006, 09:40 AM
What isn'T? I love wine and beer. And go to many tastings. I have found many great wine buys that way. The one that springs to mind as expensive tasting but not expensive was the Jindalee wines from Australia. They were all good, but their Merlot was superb.
Pipes and cigars. (Arturo Fuente Churchill with a Maduro wrapper.)
Books. I love the smell of old bookstores and I buy and read compulsively.
Food. Glorious Food. Good fresh ingredients and prepared in order to shame restaurants.
C-O-F-F-E-E.
I currently have a dozen different kinds in my fridge. I horrify Cafanatics with the fact that I perculate rather than auto-drip the coffee. I have tried making coffee every way there is and this definitely tastes best regardless of what every expert says. An added bonus is that my perculated coffee tastes better 6 hours later than auto-drip tastes after forty-five minutes.
I just have to get through lent.

Irene Prior
03-13-2006, 10:15 AM
I have too many guilty pleasures,but if I had to choose....

Jewelery...David Yurman jewelery...I must have at least 21 pieces...never have enough.

Designer handbags...Luis Vuitton, Kate Spade, Dior

And yes art supplies

Irene

LadyDreamkiller
03-13-2006, 01:58 PM
Hmmm.. I honestly can't think of anything that qualifies - after all, I utterly refuse to feel Guilty about indulging myself unless it harms someone else in the process! When we feel good about ourselves (after we do when we take a few minutes for self pampering) we are much more likely to effectively and efficiently do things for others' pleasure and comfort, so I see absolutely No reason to feel the least bit guilty about my indulgences.

Gourmet cooking - only the highest quality and freshest ingredients. Besides, when I cook like that, I'm not the only one who gets to enjoy it, so it's as much for someone else's pleasure and indulgence as my own.
Flight Time - not so much an indulgence as it is "me" time for the sake and safety of the rest of humanity lol. If I don't get my alone time, preferably in the air in a small plane, I become very easily annoyed.
Chocolate - especially Godiva - another of those things that's indulged in for the sake of sanity and not going postal on the rest of the planet lol. (At $33 a pound though, I guess it Could be considered a bit "guilty" at times.)

The "extras" I've been putting on my truck though, now Those are pure indulgence. Everything else is for the sake of continued sanity. (And no comments from those of you who Know me about my sanity being questionable regardless of my indulgences!)

Nhayden
03-14-2006, 03:50 PM
Gaming.
I love video games and at anywhere from $20-$50 a pop, it gets expensive.

I currently havea collection of 125 games..that's alot of money.

and Barbie dolls, I love barbies

paintfool
03-14-2006, 04:57 PM
And really good kitchen knives. I use wusthof. Once you get used to the good stuff, you can't go back.

Absolutely!! I love my Wusthofs.

sonyabologna
03-14-2006, 10:05 PM
A big "me too" on the books. Between the two of us we're well over 5000 now, and we also collect first editions. But just for me - this lovely soap is the only real indulgence (besides the occasional good wine or chocolate):
Primal Elements Tahitian Vanilla soap. (http://www.primalelements.com/html/soaplist.html)

Becktoria
03-14-2006, 10:58 PM
I was in the mood to relax tonight and had a wonderful time reading about all the collections! 5 pages so far...amazing what artists collect!
I have a lot of passions....I love sushi too...(heard about Sushi on the Go in Hawaii?) and spoil myself once a week with a wonderul sashimi dinner.
Coffee is awesome, love pottery/dishes, have too many of them but love to entertain too. Old teddy bears, old bottles, books, cool boxes (have at least 20)...all are passions. I have always collected something. Years agao I collected hearts in every variety.
I love super high count sheets too and expensive bed pillows! AND EVERYTHING RED!

But my craziest collection is whistle topped swizzle sticks. I have over 1,000 of them. They are from the 50's and they bring back fond memories of my father using them at his own parties. Three of them became 30 and I sort of went crazy. I want to find a wonderful way to display them but right now they are in big glass jars.

Thanks for a fun evening everyone!
Oh, and I am a Perculator-Coffee Lover too!
Becky

jdadson
03-15-2006, 02:21 AM
I am going on a date in Paris next week. I live in California. How's that?

AquinasShrugged
03-15-2006, 09:08 AM
I am going on a date in Paris next week. I live in California. How's that?
Well now, that's just bragging. ;^)