PDA

View Full Version : ACEOs - Renaissance theme 2.5x3.5" :) Fun!

champagneharley
05-10-2005, 11:19 PM
I'm addicted!
I went to the Renaissance Fair Saturday, taking hundreds of photos, still having hundreds from last year.
But then started doing them in a mix of colored pencil, watercolor & ink. I'm hooked! I love these characters.
The first ...
"Pardon my Dragon"
. . . . "This cavalier gentleman is ready to roam the world - he seeks the maiden that left a kiss upon his cheek, his pet dragon is there to help and protect him - really a wizard transformed! Already he is in danger, with a threatening sky - stay tuned for more as I do them! Such fun. Start of a series."

champagneharley
05-10-2005, 11:20 PM
"Meridith"
. . . . " The Renaissance maid Meridith gazes past the castle's gardens to the ocean, where her heart lies, she listens to the distant crashing waves and they seem to call her name, for she is the one who must watch and wait and warn of any impending danger. " . . .

champagneharley
05-10-2005, 11:22 PM
"Rosamunde"
. . . . " Rosamunde, the Renaissance maid does what she knows best -
gathering the beautiful long-stemmed roses to offer for gold coins at the town faire.
Perhaps she will entice the man you fancy to gift you with one -
exchanging his coins for the delicate bloom, gently sniffing the fragrance and
gently handing it to you with love in his eyes." . . . .
More later ...
Regards,
Jillian

valchina612
05-11-2005, 05:25 AM
These are great Jillian. I love working with a Mixed Media, and it is certainly working very well for you. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Val. :wave:

champagneharley
05-11-2005, 06:53 AM
These are great Jillian. I love working with a Mixed Media, and it is certainly working very well for you. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Val. :wave:
Yes, these are fun.
It certainly is strange working with mixed media, as I start off with the colored pencils, and it looks like I shouldn't bother with the work, that it should be thrown away. Looks SO bad.
But use it as the base for watercolor, then emphasise with ink, and ... wella!
:)
Fun!
Regards,
Jillian

Bertoni
05-11-2005, 07:24 AM
Jillian:
What a wonderful series it will be!!!! :clap:
Have you ever seen the book titled "Paint Radiant Realism in Watercolor, Ink and Colored Pencil" by Sueellen Ross?
I had gotten it during my watercolor years and produced some interesting work. Now it's pretty much all acrylics with me!!!

champagneharley
05-11-2005, 07:42 AM
Jillian:
What a wonderful series it will be!!!! :clap:
Have you ever seen the book titled "Paint Radiant Realism in Watercolor, Ink and Colored Pencil" by Sueellen Ross?
I had gotten it during my watercolor years and produced some interesting work. Now it's pretty much all acrylics with me!!!
Thank you Bertoni.
No, haven't seen that book.
I would be horrified if I had to stick to one medium! *lol*
Thanx.
Regards,
Jillian

bjcpaints
05-11-2005, 04:24 PM
These are wonderful Jillian! The Renaissance theme is so romantic and conducive to story telling! You are so creative!
Barbara

champagneharley
05-11-2005, 04:32 PM
These are wonderful Jillian! The Renaissance theme is so romantic and conducive to story telling! You are so creative!
Barbara
Thanks Barbara.
Yes, I can really let my imagination 'fly' with this.
I love to write, and can really write when I try. This is but a small weak sampling, but still fun to do! It adds to it, for sure.
Stay tuned for more!
Regards,
Jillian

champagneharley
05-11-2005, 08:07 PM
Addictiveness takes over .... *grin*

. . . . "The corseted redheaded Renaissance maid, Colleen, strolls the castle grounds, and views the artworks upon the walls. A traveling gypsy artist has put his work up, in the hopes of gaining a few gold coins. Meanwhile Colleen is hoping that noone recognises the half-clad model in his paintings ..."

3chaway9
05-12-2005, 02:15 PM
:wave: Hi Jillian,
all very nice....i can tell you had good fun doing these tiny stories in paintings..... :clap: :clap: :clap:

champagneharley
05-12-2005, 02:27 PM
:wave: Hi Jillian,
all very nice....i can tell you had good fun doing these tiny stories in paintings..... :clap: :clap: :clap:
yup, yup, and yup!!!!
more to come...
:D
Regards,
Jillian

champagneharley
05-13-2005, 11:28 PM
. . . . "Red-blooded through, and through - Delilah dons a bellydancer's costume to flaunt her feminine charms at the Renaissance Fair. She has her eye on a sturdy knave in tights and is certain to entrance him with her sensuous dance."

ladydp2000
05-14-2005, 12:48 PM
Jillian, all these mini paintings stories of yours,are just really so enchanting and beautiful! :clap: :clap: :clap: I can't wait to see you posting more of them in the very near future again.Your ideas and the use of mixed media its just super rich, as for myself love working for years with them too.They lend themselves perfectly for very well for many good paintings and themes.For now just keep up the good work or should I say? painting...lol,lol, :wave:

Dorian

champagneharley
05-14-2005, 06:30 PM
Jillian, all these mini paintings stories of yours,are just really so enchanting and beautiful! :clap: :clap: :clap: I can't wait to see you posting more of them in the very near future again.Your ideas and the use of mixed media its just super rich, as for myself love working for years with them too.They lend themselves perfectly for very well for many good paintings and themes.For now just keep up the good work or should I say? painting...lol,lol, :wave:

Dorian
Hi Dorian.
Thank you so much. I'm having lots of fun with them. I'm aiming for a new one each day.
Mixed media does make a difference.
Thanks so much for looking and commenting.
Regards,
Jillian

champagneharley
05-15-2005, 01:24 PM
. . . . "Sarina is a princess in her homeland, but now, far away at the Renaissance Fair she shines, as a princess should - decked out in real gold baubles, and entrances many a knave with her daring bellydancing costume...."

champagneharley
05-18-2005, 12:50 AM
. . . . "Impetuous as usual, the Renaissance maiden Caprice took an ocean journey, only to be set upon by pirates. Knowing they were seeking a golden treasure, she was bold enough to charm the pirate captain and join in the hunt with her exotic rare feather headpiece, and was well rewarded in gold! gold! GOLD!! ...."

champagneharley
05-19-2005, 12:59 AM
. . . . "The corseted belle Melody plays her instrument seductively at the Renaissance Fair, but aware that her feminine charms are too much on display, she shyly hides beneath her flower-decked broad-brim hat."

champagneharley
05-21-2005, 10:23 PM
. . . . "Shaylee, the fairy princess of the field glows as she dances across the glen, ensuring all the bees are being good and busy collecting their honey. Meanwhile there is a certain imp that watches her from the woods and longs for Shaylee to be his honey!"

Sonia
05-22-2005, 09:13 AM
Jillian - these are great. You could make an interesting little book with these.

I know what you mean about the mixed media thing - often I will start a small practice piece, think it's no good, then see "what if?" I overwork it and, before I know it, it's turned into a little gem. If only I had started it on a decent piece of paper, at a decent size! :(

champagneharley
05-22-2005, 09:51 AM
Jillian - these are great. You could make an interesting little book with these.

I know what you mean about the mixed media thing - often I will start a small practice piece, think it's no good, then see "what if?" I overwork it and, before I know it, it's turned into a little gem. If only I had started it on a decent piece of paper, at a decent size! :(
Thank you Sonia.
Yes, I'm uncertain what I"ll end up doing with them. I had no actual plans. There are other painting projects I need to do, other than these, so my mind isn't on what I will do with them 'later'.
The first time I created art for serious money (a full $2 and hour! designing theatre advertising when I was 20), I didn't like my first effot, but knew that since I was getting paid by the hour, I couldn't bin it - that I HAD to work on it until it 'worked'. And... to my surprise IT DID! Now I rarely give up on anything, unless it is really 'off', especially acrylics as they look SO horrid until the very end. These Renaissance ACEOs look quite dreadful until the end. I started one the other day, and knew if anyone looked at it at the first coloured pencil stage, it would be binned. Add watercolor, and it looks a bit better, but add the ink lines, and it 'sings'.
I love your website and your MM pieces are a treat! :)
Regards,
Jillian

champagneharley
05-22-2005, 09:54 AM

AHHHHH! Sonia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just realised you use the gouache technique of washing off!
Only just last night I was considering using it.
I've only ever done one work this way. I LOVE it!
Bravo!!!!
You have taken this to a new level using it for minis.
I was wondering how it would work, and here it is you've done it, and delightfully so!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Regards,
Jillian

Sonia
05-22-2005, 03:54 PM
Jillian, glad you liked the ink resist/wash off pictures I have done. I started doing them as I was frustrated with my inability to get strong tones in my watercolours. I haven't tried them in miniature yet, but I like using them for scenes including delapidated farm buildings. It's nice to break out of the mould occasionally.

On reworking something that isn't going well - I've started using really old unsuccessful paintings for collage bases or completely cover them with gesso and try something completely different over the top. Waste not, want not :)

champagneharley
05-22-2005, 04:47 PM
Jillian, glad you liked the ink resist/wash off pictures I have done. I started doing them as I was frustrated with my inability to get strong tones in my watercolours. I haven't tried them in miniature yet, but I like using them for scenes including delapidated farm buildings. It's nice to break out of the mould occasionally.

On reworking something that isn't going well - I've started using really old unsuccessful paintings for collage bases or completely cover them with gesso and try something completely different over the top. Waste not, want not :)
They are great. I like 'stylized' paintings and these border on that. Almost Clarice Cliff 1920s Art Deco which was all SO wonderful.
I only realised after I posted that you hadn't done minis that way. I mis-read the sizes. I am intending to do some as soon as I'm able to. As I said, was only thinking about it this past week. The one I did was about 8x10" and was a building. I was reasonably pleased but did it quickly - and have been longing to do some, spending more time, every since.
I like a 'fresh page' I'm afraid. Even from first grade, the thrill of opening a new, unopened exercise book and ruling a column, and writing that first page has always thrilled me. Even with clothes, I'll make whole outfits, but ask me to repair something .... forget it!
Regards,
Jillian

champagneharley
05-27-2005, 01:50 PM
. . . . " Renaissance maid Katherine - known affectionately as "Kitty" is a playful soul with a soft giggle and silken tresses. She can be often found in the castle rose garden playing a game of tease with the cats. Rumor has it that with her obvious feminine charms, it was not just the felines she teased... "

Link to the photo here:
http://www.jilliancrider.com/Ebay/ACEO-A037-Kitty-sm.jpg
WC is having problems with uploading images it seems!
The upload turned out WEIRD!

champagneharley
05-29-2005, 01:35 PM
. . . " The red-headed, firey Rowanne is showing her ire at the rascal court jester who had playfully toyed with her corset ties, then scurried out of her reach to hide - he had better be careful if he shows his face any time soon . . .
"
(I think you can click on the thumbnail to show larger).

artbylaurajean
06-27-2005, 05:14 PM
Those are just so pretty. I am having fun looking through threads to find your work also have been to your website and like it too. :clap:

champagneharley
06-27-2005, 05:23 PM
WOW you have been busy Laura Jean. I appreciate your interest in my work.
Regards,
Jillian