PDA

View Full Version : International Assoc. of Pastel Societies (IAPS) News!

Kathryn Wilson
05-10-2005, 11:58 AM
Hi Everyone! Got an email from Deborah wanting some news about IAPS - I just wanted to let you know that I will be uploading photos during the day as I get them smartened up in Photoshop.

Carly, Marsha Savage, Kitty Wallis, Maggie Price and I were there for all 3 1/2 days and we have lots to tell - so stayed tuned!

If anyone else attended that we did not get to see, please feel free to join in on this thread with your photos and stories to tell. :D

Kathryn Wilson
05-10-2005, 12:31 PM
First off - CONGRATULATIONS TO DIANNA PONTING - her "Orange Bowl" painting was on the Convention Cover - a beautiful painting. Maybe she will be kind enough to upload it for everyone to see.

On Thursday, when I arrived, they were in the midst of the "Paint Around". For those of you not familiar with the term, as I was, a paint around takes a given number of artists, easels and photos (in this case) to work from. At the end of 10 minutes of work on a painting, each artist was asked to rotate to the next painting for them to work on for another ten minutes, and so on. There were five painters (Urania Christy Tarbet, Maggie Price, Margaret Evans, Jack Pardue and one other gentleman I did not catch his name (sorry, if you can help out, please do).

1. Maggie Price with the first painting she started.
2. Maggie Price.
3. Of course my favorite of the bunch - a wonderful southwest landscape.
4. I believe this is Margaret Evans - working on the castle painting.

I have photos of the finished paintings that need to be developed. I will upload later.

MarshaSavage
05-10-2005, 12:35 PM
Hi Kat,
The other artist was Richard McDaniel.

I'll try to upload some photos tomorrow.

You guys that did not come, you don't know what fun you missed. We met some absolutely wonderful folks that we only get to hear about or read about in the magazines.

Later,

Kathryn Wilson
05-10-2005, 12:41 PM
On Friday morning, Albert Handell did a 3 hour demonstration painting. It was in a huge banquet room, he was on a stage in the middle, and there were two large screens at either end for easier viewing. I would say there were approximately 250 people attending.

This was really an eye opener for me - I'd not attended a professional demonstration before and was not sure how much I would get out of it. Needless to say, I was wrong!

A.H. is very deliberate and every stroke he put on his painting counted for something. He could make the smallest swipe with a pastel make the biggest statement. As he worked along, he spoke his thought processes very clearly - describing what he wanted a color to do, or a twig here or there.

I wish I could have gotten a better shot, but the mob scene at the end was a mad crush. Anita Louise West was there helping, and I got a shot of his pastel box.

More to come later!

Kathryn Wilson
05-10-2005, 12:49 PM
Yeah, Marsha is right - we certainly met the stars of the Pastel world. I personally met Alan Flattmann, Bill Creevy, Diane Johnson, Anne Heywood, Duane Wakeham, Anita Louise West, Bob Rohm, Richard McDaniel and Margot Schulzke.

Of course, the best was meeting Maggie Price, Carly, Marsha and Kitty. :D

Marsha, Carly and I worked in the Girault booth part of the time we were there so that Maggie could get some free time and time for her workshops.

We were fortunate enough to be right across from Kitty's booth and got to see her produce some lovely portraits. :clap:

Trilby
05-10-2005, 12:57 PM
Gosh this sounds like fun! So glad you folks got to go and meet each other as well as all those stars. How invigorating.
Now, I hate to sound ignorant but I am; what do the initials IASP stand for? Where was the conference held?
TJ

Kathryn Wilson
05-10-2005, 01:05 PM
Hi TJ - it stands for International Association of Pastel Societies. It's a big do every two years. This year it was held in Raleigh, NC (my home town).

If you all ever get the chance to go, do not miss it. The workshops were wonderful and the camaraderie should not be missed.

Khadres
05-10-2005, 01:24 PM
Sounds absolutely wonderful, Kat! Thanks for the commentary and pics! Looking forward to more! Did anyone take any pastelly-pertinent notes maybe? Maybe somebody can give us a demo of what they learned! :evil: Oh...and where is the next one (2007) supposed to be??? Somewhere WEST I hope!

Kathryn Wilson
05-10-2005, 01:38 PM
Weeeelll, two of my workshops I don't think I can demo - I took the "Gallery Dance" with Diane Johnson - that was more marketing than anything else.

The second, I took was from Anne Heywood on painting on gold. The third was from Anita Louise West on painting southwest architecture.

I have copious notes on all three workshops and will try to work them in here and there over the next few months.

IAPS will be in Albuquerque, NM in 2007! Get ready and save your money, although I thought the workshops were very reasonable. $45.00 was the most I paid for my demo workshops - the hands-on workshops, of course, were much more.

Khadres
05-10-2005, 02:45 PM
Wow, so the regular expo AND the IAPS show will be in Albuquerque? Shoot, I can DRIVE to Albuquerque!!! :D

I loved Santa Fe, tho....sniffle! Still, I'm sure the facilities in Alb. are probably bigger. We'll just have to count on an annual pilgrimage down that way....kinda like the lemmings...only we'll be drawn by PASTELS stuff!

Kathryn Day
05-10-2005, 03:54 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience. I am so excited that it will be in Albuquerque in 2007. I am only 2 hours away, you can bet I will be going. Glad you had a great time. At the Art Expo in Santa Fe, I took workshops with Maggie and Albert Handell, they were both great.

Deborah Secor
05-10-2005, 08:34 PM
Whoohooo! I'm so glad it will be here again! I have a lot of trouble getting out and away, but Albuquerque I can handle...

Maybe this time I can wangle teaching a workshop... I hope so!

Aw, thanks for showing these to us Kat!! Sorry to have bugged ya.

Deborah

CarlyHardy
05-10-2005, 11:11 PM
Since I didn't take a camera, I'll let Marsha and Kat give the play by play in pics! :D Most of my time was spent talking and laughing and taking in all I could watching the painters!!

I took the workshop with Anita West on painting adobe, but she covered a lot more than that! She is an excellent teacher and I'd love to study more with her. The workshop I took with Albert Handell was really interesting. He showed a slide presentation of his oil and pastel paintings doing a sort of talk about why he painted each one, different aspects of what made them work and his comments gave a lot of insight into him as a person as well as the artist. He also took about an hour and a half to critique for those who had brought slides. I found his comments about my work really interesting. He pointed out how much texture I have in my paintings and chose one which he said I should do more in the same vein. Actually it was one of a site where I've painted a couple of times!! so I'm already following his advice :D

As I mentioned in another thread, Great American will be coming out with some new softies this year! One side will be flattened so that they don't roll so easily! I signed up for an advance set because the price was so good...lol!
Of course I spent way too much on supplies! And since Sennelier had oil pastels in their booth, I really splurged on a set of LeGrandes!

Looking forward to seeing more of your pics, Kat!
carly

Artistammy
05-11-2005, 10:31 AM
Oh, I hope I can save up the money....need to sell some paintings. I could use a roommate....didn't get to in Santa Fe but that would help with cost. I loved Santa Fe & hope I can go to more conventions. I'm looking forward to more photos, stories & hopefully demos. :evil:
Tammy

CarlyHardy
05-13-2005, 01:10 AM
Hey Kat and Marsha!! How about some more pics?

One tip that I really enjoyed was from Anita West. When she chooses a new color, she checks the value by putting a dot (yep...a tiny dot) into the other colors around it. If the dot has a discernible line, then it is either darker or lighter but if it disappears with no line, it's the same value.

And if you're working in a dark area and want more color, use the dot to find the colors of the same or almost the same value :)

Try it!
carly

Kathryn Wilson
05-13-2005, 06:05 AM
I need to finish up a roll this weekend!

You are a hard taskmaster - either it's more photos or my entry for the Oil Pastel Competition - I voted for the OP entry - :evil:

The one thing I could not get over is that if you use two different colors of the same value, you will not get mud. It does work. I will give a demo later!

ponting
05-13-2005, 02:56 PM
Hello Kat

Thank you so much for the photos and information. I have been wondering what I have missed. It just was not in the books this year although Alice Laputka made a great stand-in in the catalogue booth. I told her just to pretend she was me but she said she didn't quite pull it off :p. She was wonderful however, in receiving and babysitting my painting through the whole conference and will pack it up and forward it to my New Jersey gallery. Where would we all be without support from the likes of people like Alice and the others who organize such a wonderful event. I too have Albuquerque marked on my calendar two years hence.

Thanks also Kat for asking me to post this...it is one of my favourite in a series of oranges and the only painting I had at the time that would fit the format albeit they would have to print it sideways. The original image was 11 x 14 on La Carte and I was thrilled to have it selected as the cover print. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2005/34523-OrangeBowl.jpg

Cheers, Dianna :cat:

Khadres
05-13-2005, 04:40 PM
Outstanding work, Diana! YES...be SURE and see about giving a workshop or two at the next IAPS thing in 2007...I would definitely want to sign up for that...along with probably a thousand other people!

Again, congrats on that catalogue cover!

ponting
05-13-2005, 05:11 PM
Thank you Sooz

I would love to teach at IAPS but it is hard to break into that circle. The instructors are chosen for future conferences by the feedback you leave at the past event. Of course it is hard to get feed-back if you are not there to begin with. Perhaps garnering the cover wll produce some results, who knows. And I have never been one to let a lack of invitation stop me from anything :p Any artist can certainly set up a workshop on thier own but of course you don't have the benifit of IAPS advertising.
I would be just happy to attend the event. I am ready for an arty holiday but I don't think I can wait 2 years for one.

Thanks again Sooz.....Cheers, Di

CarlyHardy
05-13-2005, 06:52 PM
Dianna,
I assure you a lot of folks were up close and personal viewing your painting!! I was one of them. :D Even if you couldn't do a workshop, you might like to be a demonstrator for one of the merchants at the trade show. Have any connections with some of the manufacturers??!!! I was so excited to be able to watch artists painting all during the show!
carly

HarvestMoon
05-13-2005, 07:06 PM
That is a completely amazing picture! Hard to believe it was done in pastel! Want to move to Austin and give lessons???

ponting
05-13-2005, 08:00 PM
Thank you purples for your kind words. I'm not interested in leaving my little space in the world but I sure would love to see yours. :p

Carly, I had not considered that at all. I am a local rep for Terry Ludwig although I don't know if he had a display there.

What I need to do some winter is get in my motor home and head south to tour, do some workshops and just snap photos for a few months. That sounds like what I have been missing. I have only been as far as Palm Springs in it. My husband has never really liked to travel so I bought my own RV and go off by myself quite often though not for quite some time lately.

I have plans to take it to the gathering in September and was quite looking forward to spending a whole week on my own among other artists. The strange thing was that he suddenly decided that he would like to accompany me and as soon as I got over the shock I had to smile sweetly and tell him how wonderful that was ...all the while wondering what the devil I was going to do with him while I was there. :p

Ah, but I couldn't live without him!! :) Dianna

Kathryn Wilson
05-13-2005, 11:54 PM
Dianna - I'd go along with Sooz - I would be signing up for one of your workshops in a heartbeat.

Imagine going off on your own to paint and traveling by RV - my kinda lady - :D Husband's are great, but they have to be tended to once in a while.

Khadres
05-14-2005, 01:42 AM
Diana, maybe hubby decided he didn't like being left behind after all. Hubby's are nothing if not unpredictable. My dad was terrible that way...just as soon as my mom and I planned on going shopping together while he was off golfing, he'd change his mind and decide to tag along with us, which ruined any chance to shop for things WE were interested in. My grandmother had a term for people like that...."contrary"..."He just likes to be contrary..." :D

How about a workshop at the Expo in Albuquerque next year? And you might also send some of your information to our Cottonwood Artists School here in Colorado Springs...they have great facilities for both week long or couple day long workshops. Bet they'd be tickled pink to have you. THEN you could mosey on down to Austin and I'd even tag along and help ya drive! We could visit purples and all her critters!

(Bet you can tell, I never get to go anywhere these days!)

HarvestMoon
05-14-2005, 10:39 AM
Well, I wish you guys would have a convention in Austin- it is right in the 'hill country' and in the spring is not scorching hot- all the wildflowers Ms. LBJ planted are in bloom, the hills are beautiful, the Colorado river flows through town with boats being rowed, scenic bridges, and the largest urban bat colony in the U.S. Right now the cactus is in bloom and it is beautiful. Nearby, there is a wildflower farm- with acres of wildflowers blooming. Stay away in summer though- it makes people melt. There are plenty of convention places, you can take a side trip to San Antonio to see the Alamo and 4 or so other very old Spanish missions, not to mention the river walk and the margaritas! There is also a Jerry's store.... and Laguna Glora has a beautiful park with great painting spots. And, if you ever had to drive through west Texas, say, through Pecos to New Mexico even once with a couple of 'are we there yet kids', you would know why I ask!

Deborah Secor
05-14-2005, 01:16 PM
I used to do the annual art fair at Laguna Gloria, held in the springtime, and we drove through those hills. Gorgeous!!! (The tornadoes scared me to death, however... and I saw some funnels start to drop more than once. :eek: ) I loved Llano most of all--a neat little place.

However, we aren't the ones who decide where IAPS will be held, trust me! You need to contact the board of IAPS and give them your input. They try to go back and forth from one side of the country to another--now maybe they need to do the top and bottom of the country!

Dianna, contact Artisan of Santa Fe about doing a workshop at the Expo in NM next year. I know you'd fill the place to capacity! :D

Deborah

Paula Ford
05-14-2005, 07:38 PM
Dianna - I'd go along with Sooz - I would be signing up for one of your workshops in a heartbeat.

ME TOO! ME TOO!
Paula

HarvestMoon
05-14-2005, 08:07 PM
Well, there are the tornados and scorpions- I saw Jarrell after it was flattened to the ground- unbelievable- had been through tornados before, but nothing that sucked off every single thing but the slab of the houses. We fed the amish who came to help rebuild. I was about 5 miles away from where part of that storm system struck. BUT that is unusual, don't normally see houses and witches flying around in funnel clouds... but Dianna can park her RV here if she doesn't mind very curious goats who might spoil the paint job, or being woken up by hungry donkeys at 5:30 AM.

Artistammy
05-14-2005, 09:46 PM
On the way to Austin you can stop in Lubbock & do a workshop here. lol We had a bad evening of thunderstorms & tornado warnings the other day. There was a F5 devastating tornado here May 11, 1970. There's always alot of news stories on the anniversary. We have the most beautiful wide open skies though. The building thunderheads make great cloud formations & sometimes they don't even make storms. I hope to paint some this season.
Tammy

ponting
05-15-2005, 01:10 PM
What a lot of great ideas and offers......so when exactly is tornado season? :eek:

Di :cat:

HarvestMoon
05-15-2005, 07:58 PM
tornado season is from about april to october, at least that's what it seems like! there are actually not that many, and most are small. there are constant tornado warnings and watches over the summer, however. when the sky turns a sick green color, and there are black clouds, get out of the RV and into a ditch- that is what the advise is anyway- how you manage not to drowed in the ditch during a TX thunderstorm, which brings huge amounts of flash floods, is beyond me. the floods kill more than the tornados. best thing to do is drink a lot of margaritas, and don't worry too much about it.

when I was in the Netherlands (how I loved it there), my class told me how stupid it was for anyone to live in Calif. due to the earthquakes. I pointed out that when my plane landed they said it was about 30 feet under sea level if I recall that correctly. They replied that THEY had great Dutch engineers to build canals and such to keep flooding from being a problem :D They ARE good engineers as they helped build most of the canal systems in Copenhagen as well.

In Venezuela, people tote around machine guns. In Alaska, there is quicksand, not to mention the COLD- so I guess no place if free of problems...
but every place I have been has also had far more good points than bad points!

ponting
05-15-2005, 08:22 PM
best thing to do is drink a lot of margaritas, and don't worry too much about it!

Now there is a lady after my own heart!! :wink2:

Jo Castillo
05-18-2005, 02:14 AM
Hi,
I've been to two IAPS conventions in Albuquerque. What a great time. Up close and personal with such great artists. Seems like they had a suggestion flyer and several of us voted for Central Texas, Austin. Never came to be. It is always Mother's Day weekend, which is perfect for here. Ah, well. Will be gearing up for Albuquerque in 2007 again!
Jo

Jo Castillo
05-18-2005, 02:21 AM
Dianna,
Forgot to mention that the first time in Albuquerque, Frank Federico was on the cover and the next time he had one of the demos. So you can do it! Look forward to it.
Jo