PDA

View Full Version : Tee Hee, giggle, share my thrill: 1st show ribbon

Trilby
05-08-2005, 02:18 AM
I entered 3 pastels in our Art Associations bi annual open judged show to get my feet wet without any expectation of winning anything since I knew the caliber of the artists I would be up against and the quality of their work. Could have knocked me down with a feather when I ambled around the corner and saw my work with a ribbon:4th place. :) Even more exciting for me was the judge attended and did a personal critique--left me blushing with pleasure and more understanding of my strengths. He critiqued the other 2 pieces also so I better understand their weakness. Cactus Evening missed out on 2nd place due to a leaf that went out of the picture--an instant process stopper for this judge. Spring On The San Pedro received lots of good comments, but the judge said it needed more contrast.

This portrait was done only 6 weeks after picking up my pastels for the first time in 38 years so I'm as thrilled with my 4th place as if I had taken BOS.
I'm as tickled as I was with my first trout as a child.

Dawn I particularly thank you for your mentor ship on the self portrait :wave:

I'm the artist on the left. Cactus Evening is on the bottom in the 3rd photo
The next post has a sampling of a few of the works shown.
TJ

Khadres
05-08-2005, 02:24 AM
Woohoo!!! Isn't it a rush to see your stuff with ribbons on? First time that happened to me I was totally speechless! Well, so now you can no longer claim newbie status at ALL! You're in the Big Time now, baybee! Get out the champagne and kick up your heels! :clap: :clap: :clap: :wave:

Trilby
05-08-2005, 02:27 AM
Here's more from the reception. Our studio/gallery is a small one, but we put it to big use and are proud of it.
Oh, The judge also saw my truck with dog painting "The Long Vigil" He said I should enter it in the next show, that it is a winner. I think I love this guy.

Notice that exquisitely done acrylic of the Harley. The judge gave it nothing, because he said it was obviously done from a photo."there are things there that the artist would not paint except from a photograph, and in fact it is badly designed, despite the greatness of capturing all the reflections."
TJ

Piper Ballou
05-08-2005, 03:10 AM
Here's three cheers for you... :clap: :clap: :clap:
thank you for posting the other photos, it was nice to see it all
Piper

*Marina*
05-08-2005, 03:58 AM
Congratulations. Nice to see the photos :cat:

Dark_Shades
05-08-2005, 04:26 AM
WOOOoooooooooooooooo Hoooooooooooo :clap:
Im sooooooo Proud of you ...... well done indeedy :clap:
Do I get half share ........... what colour is OUR ribbon :wink2: lol only joking....... Im just so pleased I was of help to you .....

well look at all that fantastic art work...... A VERY HIGH Standard :clap: :clap: more so for you to be EVEN more pleased with yourself......
Actually Im rather impressed with the Harley - awesome ...... but then what do I know ..... lol

Thanks for sharing - I enjoyed this

Karen Margulis
05-08-2005, 10:10 AM
Congratulations!!!! :clap: I can only imagine how excited you must be! Thank you for sharing your wonderful news and letting us be there with your photos!!! Great job! You're on a roll now!!!! :D
Karen

Bringer
05-08-2005, 10:27 AM
Hi there,

I would be most thrilled if one of my works should go into an exhibit. But to get a 4th place, that would be heaven.
You have done great, since after looking at the pics you've posted and realizing the quality of the works at the exhibit.
I hope that the most important from this all is not the 4th place, but the incentive this will give to continue to improve and go even further.

Best regards,

Bringer :clap: :clap:

khourianya
05-08-2005, 10:45 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: CONGRATULATIONS!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

You must be in 7th heaven! I know I would be!!!

HarvestMoon
05-08-2005, 01:35 PM
Way to go!!! What the heck is wrong with a leaf going off the picture? What a huge accomplishment! Since I am using photos, I guess I better watch it too- but I am a long way from showing- perhaps a few more Jackie videos... :clap: :clap: :clap: Wow- you sure had some tough competition- there are some truly wonderful pieces with no ribbon at all! I love the SW...

K Taylor-Green
05-08-2005, 01:53 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!! A well deserved honor for a job well done!

Paula Ford
05-08-2005, 02:36 PM
How wonderful!!

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Paula

angecald
05-08-2005, 02:51 PM
Congratulations!! :clap: :clap: There are some very impressive works in that show. You are right in there with the best of them!

HarvestMoon
05-08-2005, 08:58 PM
BTW I never realized that the pic next to your name is a self-portrait! I thought it was a photo. Way to go ! Hope your friend does not really look like the guy with a beard pictured at her right :D

Westerngirl
05-08-2005, 09:45 PM
Congratulations! Woohoo! Pour that champagne! :clap:

prestonsega
05-08-2005, 10:33 PM
CONGRATS! and thanks for sharing the pictures of the show.... :)

binkie
05-08-2005, 10:38 PM
How exciting!!!!!! :clap:

C O N G R A T S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

binkie

Trilby
05-09-2005, 01:48 AM
Hi guys, your the greatest in sharing this success with me, thank you. Sooz, oh yes this is a rush, but hey even if I'm out of baby shoes, I will count on the group's help, ---Piper, applebee, and other's it's a pleasure to share some of the reception and our proud little gallery... Dawn, it's a pretty green ribbon, which 1/2 do ya want, front or back? :rolleyes: ... The Harley is awesome and he'll have no trouble selling it. He also painted the 1st place '33 Chevy. The judge just thought he relied overly much on a photo,... Yes Bringer, ribbons are just fabric, but great enticement, so yes this will help focus my work,... Purples, it's not so much the leaf as that it takes the eye out the corner, this guy is heavy on design and value structure,...Karen, Cori, Kate, Paula, Agnes, westerngirll, Preston, Thankyou for sharing this with me, Binki, I love that Woo Hoo.

Now, a mystery. I signed on earlier and had to leave without replying. All the pics including Binki's great animated Woo Hoo were imbedded in the message full size. I wanted to thank whoever changed my thumbnails to embedded images. However, when I signed back on they were all thumbnails again :confused: Maybe there's been too much champagne flowing :rolleyes:
TJ

tURBOCAT
05-09-2005, 07:30 AM
Well I could have sworn I posted a message - I looked at every photo and read every post.... CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I know you are excited. Boy, doesn't it encourage? Yes! It's all worthwhile. Good job.

Johnnie

CindyW
05-09-2005, 12:51 PM
TJ, what can happen to one who doesn't try? Nothing. You tried and look what happened???? Wonderful!
Keep going and exuding your positivity everywhere! It's catching. ;)

Mikki Petersen
05-09-2005, 01:09 PM
TJ! What an accomplishment and after such a short time back to painting, too! It was also interesting to hear the judges comments. Thanks for sharing that. Now go paint while you still have the glow!

Mikki

meowmeow
05-09-2005, 02:19 PM
Congratulations! That is so exciting...but not surprising. Looking at the work it looks like you really, really should be pleased....good for you!
Now...get back to work and enter some more stuff! :D

Sandy

Trilby
05-10-2005, 02:35 AM
Johnnie, Cindy, Mikki, and Sandy Thankyou for sharing my joy with me. Yes this is all very encouraging. I'm warmed by how enthusiastically everyone on the forum has been on my behalf. I've a lot of paintings in my head, some laid out in sketches, a couple to finish and I'm eager to get on with the next one, knowing what I want to look out for in designing it, wanting to make each one better. I think after so many years of saying "I used to be an artist" I can really say "I'm back to being an artist!" That's the greatest reward--that and the warm friends and acquaintances I'm making in the art world in RL and cyberlife, though both are real.
Thanks to all of you.
TJ

Artistammy
05-13-2005, 06:21 PM
Congratulations!! :clap: :clap: :clap: That is a great self portrait too. I don't know if I could make myself look so good.

Trilby
05-14-2005, 03:42 AM
Tammy, thankyou so much. This has been such fun. I've finished a couple of landscapes that when I've photographed them I'll share, another is started--a flower this time. BTW anyone can paint themselves to look good--start with a few ref. photos from nearly 10 years ago, professional makeup, hairdo, etc. and in my case 10 or 15 lbs slenderer, and skip those characterful winkle lines . :rolleyes: I do want to do a current self portrait one of these days.
TJ